• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yooka-Laylee screenshots and info; Toybox coming for backers in July

Kyuur

This one and the one labeled toy-box are the only ones that look like actual gameplay screens to me. The underwater one looks beautiful and the toy-box one looks underwhelming.

That would be because its not a part of the actual game, but a playable preview for backers.

Zukkoyaki

Never a good idea to get ahead of oneself, but I'm extremely eager for the future of Playtonic as a studio, especially if Yooka-Laylee turns out great. These guys are all talented vets who seem to have an excellent understanding of what people want. Can't wait to watch how things unfold for them!

Azalean

Banned
First and only Kickstarter I backed and I'm glad to have done so. Looking forward to the Toy box and the final game.

Shin-Ra

Nice carefully posed screenshots. Hopefully Unity and the assorted target platforms don't cause issues.

The blue/red/yellow enemies look Viva Piñataish and hopefully there's plenty of innuendo on Trowzer's slithering tongue.

hydruxo

This one and the one labeled toy-box are the only ones that look like actual gameplay screens to me. The underwater one looks beautiful and the toy-box one looks underwhelming.

Well the toybox screen is just that - it's from the toybox. It's literally just Yooka and Laylee in a stripped down environment for the player to mess around with the platforming.

The Toy-Box isn't part of the game, it's just a Backer-exclusive demo area for people to test out the mechanics.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I really can't wait to see the WiiU version next to the PS4 and XBL versions, especially since WiiU was designed with porting between these easier but never really saw use

Could you elaborate on the bolded? I've never heard of Wii U being designed to make porting between it and PS4 easier.

Backed it for Wii U, buying on PC, and triple-dipping on the NX handheld if it ever makes its way over there :).

Physical PC and digital Wii U here too, if it goes on NX then I'll get that physically if it comes out like that.

A giant, evil corporation whose leader is "Capital B"
Bill
taking over a small corporation of creators.

They aren't even trying to be subtle.

Hivecrosoft.

MK_768

Could you elaborate on the bolded? I've never heard of Wii U being designed to make porting between it and PS4 easier.

It wasn't lol. Rumors suggested it was supposed to be easier to port from PS3 to Wii U.

Maybe the person had a typo and meant PS3. PS4 makes no sense.

MrHoot

Man it looks GORGEOUS ! I was afraid that with the time the art direction would be a bit generic but fuuuck these colours and everythin <3

Diffense

Capital B is just one big pun.

Firstly, capital refers to both capital in the economic sense (he's a wealthy CEO) and also the fact that his name is literally a "capital" or upper-case B. Also his design is clearly inspired by honey-bees since he has the brown bands and is carrying a honeycomb scepter. The B could also be a sly reference to Microsoft's founder but you'd never get playtonic to admit it. Finally, he's the boss of Hivory Towers but is also literally the game's main "boss" character. With the boss being "the boss" the stage is set for fourth wall breaking.

I see that the tank hadn't run dry after Trowzer.

Skux

One of the last Kickstarters I backed before I stopped backing them. These guys were wise to go dark and actually work on the game instead of giving us constant pointless updates with scraps of concept art and vague promises like some campaigns I've seen.

killroy87

Checked my pledge, and turns out I'm getting the Toybox. Cool!

I honestly couldn't remember what I put into the game. Can't wait though.

Illucio

Banned
One of the last Kickstarters I backed before I stopped backing them. These guys were wise to go dark and actually work on the game instead of giving us constant pointless updates with scraps of concept art and vague promises like some campaigns I've seen.

It wasn't even that much of a wait for info. I thought the character designs was great to hold off the weight. After the toybox I will be please until Fall. But I know this game is going to be delayed, the launch date always seemed too ambitious.

Neiteio

Yooka-Laylee will be a glorious homecoming for 3D platformer collect-a-thons, just like DOOM has been a glorious homecoming for old-school FPS campaigns.

me0wish

First game that I do not regret backing? I really hope so, I'm more hyped for this than Zelda, and I freekin love Zelda.

This update basically bumped my interest in Yooka from curious to wanting more. I really can't wait for inevitable in-game footage, especially in terms of interaction between characters. I've always loved that aspect in Banjo-Kazooie, and would love to see if they can capture that with this game. Based on the characters they've shown so far, I have faith that they will.

Illucio

Banned
This update basically bumped my interest in Yooka from curious to wanting more. I really can't wait for inevitable in-game footage, especially in terms of interaction between characters. I've always loved that aspect in Banjo-Kazooie, and would love to see if they can capture that with this game. Based on the characters they've shown so far, I have faith that they will.

I want to see footage at E3 of character interactions as well.

But mostly because I want to see all the fan made content and video that will inevitably be made in response.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Everything about this game looks great! Pity there won't be a physical release though.

Neiteio

Trowser, Kartos and now Capital B are all S-tier designs. Simply perfect.

Yooka and Laylee themselves are of course excellent.

Not sure what to think about the duck and the head-in-a-bowl. I feel... confused.

But yeah, how do I get amiibo of Trowser, Kartos and Capital B.

Speely

Banned
Those screens... I am not gonna lie, they made me feel like I did opening up a Gamepro or EGM back in the day when I was a kid with no internet and seeing Sonic or something for the first time. This game really looks like it's made of love.

So happy that this is actually happening.

Top Bottom