• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Once this series gets to enable a global illumination solution on ps5 or ps5 pro should expect these screens to look bang on the originals irl basically and even without it it's so damn close.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I suggest you make a new thread about car count in racing games, and take your complaints there. this thread is for comparing graphics features.

Thanks for the suggestion. I suggest you to also suggest others in this thread not talking about graphic comparations the same thing. Thanks in advanced.

They might as well have no interiors and focus on just adding more cars right.....

Implying this interiors are the same used in-game?

KageMaru

Forza 7 is the most intense and realistic feeling racer i have played. The sense of speed along with all the subtle animations and physics put it in a league above GT for me . GT physics are really bad which hurts the overall look even though its a pretty game.

Anyways, some pics of F7, both gameplay and photo mode

TkyGBaA.jpg

kVVvFLE.png

j4ZeLyw.jpg

bzYlj6B.jpg

Nice screens.

��

Show me some GT gameplay which looks as good as that, I dare you.

TBH I don't see what's so special about that particular screenshot.

Also unless GTS has weather, we won't be able to reproduce the scene accurately enough to compare.

None of those are better than this one below. Some of those are bad to look at, even.

Nobody has the game yet. Besides that the image above looks better, by miles.

Maybe I need to view them on a bigger screen than my phone but I don't think any of those screens look bad.

Fredrik

None of those are better than this one below. Some of those are bad to look at, even.

Nobody has the game yet. Besides that the image above looks better, by miles.
lol stop exaggerating nothing in this thread is bad to look at or miles ahead.

My fav right now is PC2, can't pinpoint exactly what it is but it's doing stuff while you race that simply makes it look (and feel) better in my opinion. I guess it's in the smaller details, subtle movements, vibrations, smudges, glare, stuff like that that aren't really seen in the gameplay pics.

And it's absolutely godly at three screens! 4K is too expensive but all of you who are still at 1080p like me, try to find some cheap screens so you get a triple screen setup, it's sooo worth it if you like racing games.
https://youtu.be/Zi0ZzFRs_F8

thelastword

Banned
Don't think either look particularly fantastic nor that the PC2 photomode shots looks "realistic". Between F7 and GTS, one looks better, both in stills and in motion, than the other however, DC looks better in motion than either (notwithstanding poor IQ) from what I've seen thus far.

Last time I was impressed by the graphics of a racer was perhaps GT3 A-spec
but times have changed and so have expectations. Mind you anything that is in your periphery may affect your driving experience in these games. So yes trees may affect that. Maple Valley track comparison is a perfect example.

I might ruffle a few jimmies but in comparing these 3 developers it essentially appears as though (graphically):
  • PD have the designers to make the best looking racing game but are being held back by the hardware
  • T10 are held back by the expertise and the hardware
  • and SMS are simply held back by the expertise
Going from PS1 (GT1/2) to GT3 PS2 was the most amazed I think I've ever been with race visuals or visuals at that. DC was a highlight this generation and at 60fps, GTS is another...

Like I said it was not what I expected after they announced it... I expected fully dynamic weather and ToD like others games but it ended a better way to baked weather conditions.

When me and others talk about dynamic weather and ToD we are talking about real time simulation to choose these variations during the race making every race unique and allowing a simulated experience of something called endurance races.

I do believe even today GT5 was the most complete racing game ever created (and way better than GT6) because it has everything... we can argue it was not polished like most wanted but the experience was not delivered by any modern racing sim on consoles yet.
Absolutely, GT5 really had it all way back then. Spent so many hours in that game...

Non-replay mode footage or bust. We gotta get over judging racing games off of how awesome they look when you put the controller down and don't play them and completely gloss over what they look like when you're actually in a race.
Oh, so you're talking about DC then, where you see things like reflections not seen in other racers, debris, flock of birds, wind gusts etc, lightning strikes, weather and general ATD you will miss in single screens when the package comes together with the best sense of speed for a 30fps racer.....very authentic in motion.

most recent interior screenshot looks even more realistic

xW3WbW.jpg

GZ5eQO.jpg
Unbelievable.

they also include photo modes which means they're also intended to be viewed as static images. and photomodes mean a game needs to hold up to scrutiny even with incidental track-side details or interiors. do tree's looking like shit in forza matter in regards to gemeplay? no. are they a valid point of discussion in regards to visuals? yes. as the guy said, we're in a graphics thread. that's what people are discussing.

oh look, someone else who's incapable of understanding we're in a graphics comparison thread. lol
For better immersion, higher detail and better ATD is indeed vital.

Probably because Kazunori Yamauchi is also a semi-professional photographer. He's got quite the collection of camera's and lens, hence his advanced HDR work.
Not only that, but he's pretty slick around professional circuits too. I wouldn't mind Kaz taking Greenwalt, the SMS guy, the Asseto guy etc.. for a race on a real circuit tbh...;)

Notice how prominent the bloom is when the cars are in the tunnel then it fades away as it exits the tunnel into sunlight.
EDIT: Shadow over a headlight would actually intensify the bloom effect not dim it.

That's correct...

i1cch0CENJr09EE.jpg

hjhjhjhjcs1e.jpg

i1D9nMdHh4n7DuB.jpg

dfer9js0p.jpg

Polyphony modellers:

UAKAHIi.gif
Absolutely amazing. But perhaps you should leave the GTS logo out next time, so we could get some more prime reactions...

Weren't you in the comparison thread talking about how terrible how fanboyish some of the posters were? I agreed with you in that thread but now we have this. Interesting.
Case in point, referencing my prior post, you thought he was neutral and non-biased right? That only happens when something he disagrees with is going on or is gaining traction or consensus....

As a 34 year old gamer, I'm not really perturbed by GT Sports car list, when in my teen years we had to live with 10-20 cars in a driving game until Gran Turismo came by. You kids are spoiled. Spoiled!

Still I can understand why it seems so little, when Forza 7 has 700 cars.
It's crazy isn't it, that the argument has turned to car count. You remember all those years when GT was the game with the most cars? What did people say? All those Nissans et al, in GT5? All those PS2 level cars lel...Now we have 180 of the best modeled cars in a racer with updated tracks and a new focus and I guess people prefer Quantity yet again. I could have sworn, I heard people say "it's not about quantity it's about quality" against GT5, but here we are....

Also, didn't a reviewer mentioned that there were too many trucks + plus some other vehicle type you had to wade through in F7's unlock system? So has this come full circle....Lets be honest though, I collected most of the cars in prior GT's, but it was only a few which I used to do the majority of my races for each class.

They might as well have no interiors and focus on just adding more cars right.....
Wasn't that a thing in GT5, people complained that the PS2/Vita inserts had no cockpit and so PD made a basic cockpit so that non-premium cars could use cockpit view no?

Dude, why must all your post be so damn long?

I have avatars disabled and a lot of time when I come into these threads and I'm glossing over some of the post looking for pictures and trying to glean anything interesting, I can immediately tell I passed one of your post specifically because of the length of it.

"This must be a thelastword post". Scroll up. Yup!

MaDKaT

Well a change sometimes can be a good thing, I guess we will find out soon though.

At least they have slapped on the polish now and the games looks fantastic, the early footage had me worried but now it looks seriously impressive with their car models and lighting.

That it does. PD have very rarely let down in the visuals department.

It's crazy isn't it that the argument has turned to car count. You remember all those years when GT was the game with the most cars? What did people say? All those Nissans et al, in GT5? All those PS2 level cars lel...Now we have 180 of the best modeled cars in a racer with updated tracks and a new focus and I guess people prefer Quantity yet again. I could have sworn, I heard people say "it's not about quantity it's about quality" against GT5, but here we are....

Also, didn't a reviewer mentioned that there were too many trucks + plus some other vehicle type you had to wade through in F7's unlock system? So has this come full circle....Lets be honest though, I collected most of the cars in prior GT's, but it was only a few which I used to do the majority of my races for each class.

Wasn't that a thing in GT5, people complained that the PS2/Vita inserts had no cockpit and so PD made a basic cockpit so that non-premium cars could use cockpit view no?

Really good points.

After all the focus on GT Sport not having enough content, it would be pretty funny if it reviewed better than Forza 7 and PC's 2 becuase they fixed the issues people had with the last few GT games and they made an excellent, focused, online racer, which looks fantastic. Imagine the shitstorm.

Personally I don't care if it reviews better or not, as long as it plays well I'll be very happy with it but it would be nice if they review it fairly and not shit on it for going quality over quantity, which is what some have wanted for a while now.

MaDKaT

Really good points.

After all the focus on GT Sport not having enough content, it would be pretty funny if it reviewed better than Forza 7 and PC's 2 becuase they fixed the issues people had with the last few GT games and they made an excellent, focused, online racer, which looks fantastic. Imagine the shitstorm.

Personally I don't care if it reviews better or not, as long as it plays well I'll be very happy with it but it would be nice if they review it fairly and not shit on it for going quality over quantity, which is what some have wanted for a while now.

They didn't fix the issues, they removed the problematic issues they /refused/could'nt resolve and turned it into an online GT lite. To touch on previous games getting railed on for bloated car count it was the obnoxious inflating of car count with cars that only varied by trim level. Same car, just different options that had very little if any performance differences.. GTS goes beyond 'Fixing' that and just has less cars. If you want to look to a game that refocused in a positive way, look to GT3. Solid car list, well laidf out campaign. Now imagine that game with included online. That game would be a nearly perfect GT.

Gestault

People want consistent quality across a selection, and ideally, a large selection (number) and variety (types) of cars. That's basically what people hope for across the genre with the more realistic-style racers. It takes a special lack of self-awareness for someone to be confused at the "inconsistency" of wanting both.

cooldawn

"Full dynamics" would make sense as a differentiation because it would imply the entire system being dynamic, including the shadow casting, etc. I still don't really agree with randomness being a requirement, because change is change at the end of the day, regardless of the trigger. It would be trivial for the rain in FM7 to be triggered randomly for example, or even to remain at a lower level of intensity. This wouldn't actually require any complexity be added to the system. The scope of change is a different matter though, so being able to perform a full 24hr cycle, predefined or not, would require a different solution, with the shadows able to be adjusted in real-time.

I think we've basically "met in the middle" here on this, and probably only seemingly disagreed due to the way ethomaz had started us off. He had initially claimed that what FM7 does was the same as GTS, where a ToD is selected prior to the race starting, and then it remains the same throughout. That would be static, regardless of if the calculations were real-time or not, if it doesn't change then it isn't dynamic. The confusion seems to be primarily due to conflating dynamic and real-time calculations as being the same thing, which isn't necessarily true (despite often going hand-in-hand). A lot of dynamic elements in many games are predefined. ToD is actually one of the most common examples, being on a constant cycle in many cases.
It's all good fella.

Gran Turismo Sport is in a worse position for sure. Just completely static pre-defined times of day...which sucks considering what Gran Turismo 5 offered back in 2010. Depressing.

I think we will get wet weather track with cloudy skies but not falling rain. As long as we still get wet driving physics, and rain spray, it will be a good way to the real thing. Still no Driveclub though.
I'm still concerned with marketing material. Loudninja posted an excerpt from the official site directly referencing weather. We know, from the BETA, rain tyres were a selectable option but there has been no rain conditions. Maybe the demo will shed more light?!

It's a strange set of circumstances. It's quite clear the sun is part of a real-time system but it's not utilised and there's clues to weather (tyre choice/fog) but we haven't seen anything of it at all in-game. I don't know what they are playing at.

IThat's a photo mode shot though, the one I quoted was direct capture of gameplay.
I know. Just think it's going to be hard to match that shot. It's a corker.

Maybe I need to view them on a bigger screen than my phone but I don't think any of those screens look bad.
I didn't say they were all bad...some very good but a couple are pretty awful too. Maybe more composition rather than technology (although that side-on shot is especially jarring).

lol stop exaggerating nothing in this thread is bad to look at or miles ahead.
OK...I'm just really, really impressed by that shot. Way more than any other I've sen so far from Forza Motorsport 7. It's a stunner, technically and compositionally.

Not only that, but he's pretty slick around professional circuits too. I wouldn't mind Kaz taking Greenwalt, the SMS guy, the Asseto guy etc.. for a race on a real circuit tbh...;)
Absolutely.

In fact changes he made to the Nordschleife in Gran Turismo 5 are a direct result of his own personal experience while racing there. In particular he made changes to the topography and he made sure the darkness was pitch black. It's the reason why the real-time time of day in Gran Turismo 5 was so bloody amazing. It still is, to this day.

Why take it out now Kaz, you git.

They didn't fix the issues, they removed the problematic issues they /refused/could'nt resolve and turned it into an online GT lite. To touch on previous games getting railed on for bloated car count it was the obnoxious inflating of car count with cars that only varied by trim level. Same car, just different options that had very little if any performance differences.. GTS goes beyond 'Fixing' that and just has less cars. If you want to look to a game that refocused in a positive way, look to GT3. Solid car list, well laidf out campaign. Now imagine that game with included online. That game would be a nearly perfect GT.

Sure GT3 with good online would be nearly perfect. I'm fine with the changes PD have made for Sport though, they always said it would be online focused and I the car selection should be balanced for that, plus this is only the start, plenty more cars should be coming.

I still get people will be divided on this decision but I'm happy to give it a go because this is the only new GT game we have right now, plus I really enjoyed playing the Beta. The driving was always my favourite part, not how many cars they had in the game and GT has never felt better than this one does.

jayu26

Haha so this is your new angle then? This is a graphics thread. Do you at least agree that GTS's interiors look ridiculously good?

That post makes no sense because going forward VR is going to be part of GT and you are going to be seeing a lot of these interiors up close. This gif is close analogous to what is going to happen in VR.
giphy.gif

Hence a well modeled interior is very important to Gran Turismo going forward.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Haha so this is your new angle then? This is a graphics thread. Do you at least agree that GTS's interiors look ridiculously good?

There is not how to desagree ;)

That post makes no sense because going forward VR is going to be part of GT and you are going to be seeing a lot of these interiors up close. This gif is close analogous to what is going to happen in VR.
giphy.gif

except that interiors have not the same assets as the ones in gameplay ;)

cyen

giphy.gif

Hope the camera shake can be disabled.

Fredrik

giphy.gif

:eek:
Oh wow why haven't I seen camera shake like that before?? Can't be VR unless they're sitting in one of those monster motorised racing seats. And it looks awesome here! There is nothing of the previous staleness here! Is the shake an option you can disable in the menu in the beta version or is this something they've added afterwards? I planned to ignore it because I'm a cranky old man lol but I'll be checking out the demo for sure now!

jayu26

Oh wow why haven't I seen camera shake like that before?? Can't be VR unless they're sitting in one of those monster motorised racing seats. And it looks awesome here! There is nothing of the previous staleness here! Is the shake an option you can disable in the menu in the beta version or is this something they've added afterwards? I planned to ignore it because I'm a cranky old man lol but I'll be checking out the demo for sure now!

As far I know there are options for camera shake, but a person who was in Beta would be better equipped to answer that.

Sini

giphy.gif

Okay, this is the first one that actually fooled me into believing it was real footage with cleverly mounted gopro until I saw the rear view mirror.

The lighting on everything, the reflections on the dash, it's all so convincing...
I'm sure it's easy to tell it's real-time rendering when viewed at full size though.

ethomaz

Banned
Your head is shacking... do you want to disable it?

ethomaz

Banned
Will have to be. Any artificial motion/bounce is vomit inducing. It is very very bad for VR.
Let’s try again...

Your head is shaking on VR... the camera is your view.

If you stay with your head immobile then the camera won’t shake.

Fredrik

As far I know there are options for camera shake, but a person who was in Beta would be better equipped to answer that.
Cool! This has been the area where Project Cars and Forza has been ahead going by past GTS videos, GTS has always looked stale in comparison.

watership

I do think that PD really has the in-car materials down in those interior shots. How is GTS implementing that? is there a in car mode like ForzaVista?

cyen

Maybe you can try to record a video of your head while driving a racing car... you will be surprised.

Thats not a car.. its a game, probably sitting on his sofa/chair.

Unless he is playing GTS while driving a car. Inception Maybe?

Fredrik

Let’s try again...

This can't be VR shake though since it's shaking when he hits the turn, if so then he must have the FFB cranked up to max and his arm tensed up like he's in cramp to lead the shake all the way up to the head. Looks very much like the intended camera shake seen in PC/FM/Shift.

Fredrik

It is a game being played in VR... you move your head like real life lol

The camera basically follow your head moviments.
In real life you're sitting in a stiff racing car that bumps around on the road. In VR you're sitting in your comfy couch or chair. Unless he has a motorised racing chair of course...

Fredrik

I hope. All i just Said was if it was camera shake i hope for a option to disable.

Was this offensive?
You really shouldn't disable that, in my opinion, but I can guarantee that you can do that since every other video we've seen up til now has nothing of that. Personally I'm just happy to see that the shake is in! :)

jayu26

I should have never posted that gif. I could have made my point without that damn gif, but no. Fuck me.

I hope. All i just Said was if it was camera shake i hope for a option to disable.

Was this offensive?

Here is the thing, up until now people were complaining about how static the camera in GT is compare to Froza and others. And the default camera doesn't do anything that ridiculous.

cyen

I should have never posted that gif. I could have made my point without that damn gif, but no. Fuck me.

Here is the thing, up until now people were complaining about how static the camera in GT is compare to Froza and others. And the default camera doesn't do anything that ridiculous.

Thanks for the answer Jay!

MaDKaT

Let’s try again...

Im not sure if we are agreeing or disagreeing. All I was saying is that you cannot add any additional moviement to your head that isnt your own in VR. Project CARS had to remove the headshake for VR. Forza 7 has a shake that would be awful for VR and if GT doesnt have an option to remove it, it would be just as nauseating.

Top Bottom