• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

Shaneus

I believe the adapter is "okay", but you don't get any FFB at all. I think it *may* get converted from the vibration signal sent to a controller, but don't quote me on that. I know for sure you don't get anything remotely close to "real" FFB like with the wireless MS wheel or a Fanatec.

saladine1

So, the situation still grim?

I just need to know whether there's a possibility of existing hardware working with the new stuff.

Amar said something about a bloke who can adapt pedals and shifters to different wheels..
Is there a chance that my CSP and shifter could work on the Thrustmaster or Mad Catz?

If not, I have to get rid of the Fanatec setup and use funds towards a new wheel...

How can Sony fuck up this bad? These publishers aren't going to waste money to license the ffb and whatever else for a small fraction of users.

Logitech and Fanatec support for PS4 is a pipedream, the PS4 is done to me, fuck Sony, and fuck Microsoft!

Ted

I believe the adapter is "okay", but you don't get any FFB at all. I think it *may* get converted from the vibration signal sent to a controller, but don't quote me on that. I know for sure you don't get anything remotely close to "real" FFB like with the wireless MS wheel or a Fanatec.

That's not good news.

I guess we all just have to wait and see then. It will be a shame though if the only options on the wheel market are really cheap "toy" wheels or really high end enthusiast grade wheels with no middle ground.

mr stroke

Anyone know if either of the Xbone wheels(madcatz/thrustmaster) will also work on PC? I want to buy one but not if I have to double dip.

I don't know how many here will get their PS4 on the launch day, but I hope somebody will be able to provide some testing of the PS4 XMB with the either Logitech or Fanatec (in both PC/PS3 mode).

I am worried, officially. I will update the OP soon as well.

It's the first thing I will be doing on launch day. Without wheel support I will skip racing games altogether for the consoles and just race on PC and most likely buy a cheap PS3 with GT6 and that will be that. It's a bullshit money-grab that only affects the people who have already dedicated A LOT of money into this part of the hobby already.

What a huge letdown.

mr stroke

There's still the Thrustmaster though?

Amazon is listing it for a Dec release, But a GS employee told me I would get it on Nov 22 if I pre-ordered it. So who knows? Even Thrustmaster doesn't or won't tell me.

I emailed Thrustmaster about a solid release date and PC compatibility and there response was-

"Sorry we can not give out any info at this time" LOL

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I have already let go all hope for G27-support on the PS4. With no support on the XBO as well, I might just switch to a controller. It's easier than setting up your wheel every time you want to play, anyway.

Amazon is listing it for a Dec release, But a GS employee told me I would get it on Nov 22 if I pre-ordered it. So who knows? Even Thrustmaster doesn't or won't tell me.

I emailed Thrustmaster about a solid release date and PC compatibility and there response was-

"Sorry we can not give out any info at this time" LOL

Cheers for that.

I was going to try and get one from Amazon but not 100% convinced of build quality and so on.

GAME is doing it for £350 in store. Reckon I might go and pre-order it there asap.

DirtyLarry

This thread makes me sad. Very sad.
Well, there is always Gran Turismo 6, so at least I will have one game to use my wheel on.

mr stroke

Cheers for that.

I was going to try and get one from Amazon but not 100% convinced of build quality and so on.

GAME is doing it for £350 in store. Reckon I might go and pre-order it there asap.

I am curious about Thrustamasters quality too
Never owned one of there wheels before and $400 is a lot to drop on wheel with out a clutch and any knowledge if it will work on PC as well?

I am curious about Thrustamasters quality too
Never owned one of there wheels before and $400 is a lot to drop on wheel with out a clutch and any knowledge if it will work on PC as well?

Not aware of HID functionality as of yet so compatibility may not be simple, the old MS Wireless Xbox wheel was XID only and iirc although it worked on PC the FFB drivers were never released even though they were planned.

So glad that gt6 is not a ps4 title, what's the point of playing racing sims with a controller?

Extremely sad the new consoles had to go on this direction, greed or technical limit?

paskowitz

SMH, my CSW motors just gave out. FFB is choppy as hell and the wheel takes forever to get back to center. Makes a nice grinding noise as well.

This is quite a common problem now isn't it?

Is Fanatec offering any kind of extended warranty on them if that's the case? From what I've read they are neither the greatest quality or expensive to replace.

My wheel is almost two years old now, I'm quite worried about it happening.

paskowitz

Damn, my condolances. It is the betatest unir or new one? Sending for replacement?

This is my 3rd broken retail wheel. My beta unit also broke. Even scarier is that this wheel was replaced April 2nd of this year! It made it 7 months...

This is quite a common problem now isn't it?

Is Fanatec offering any kind of extended warranty on them if that's the case? From what I've read they are neither the greatest quality or expensive to replace.

My wheel is almost two years old now, I'm quite worried about it happening.

This incident has made me realize I have not gone a full year without my CSW breaking and needing a replacement.

I have been very tolerant of these issues, but to be honest my patience is starting to wear thin. If this last unit does not last at least 2 years I am going to permanently end my relationship with Fanatec. Either that, or they are going to have to make them in a country other than China.

EDIT: Just in time for GT6 as well!

That's awful. Mine went back for a centreing issue but it was dealt with pretty well.

Considering the price I wonder why he cheapened out on something as crucial as the motors.

paskowitz

That's awful. Mine went back for a centreing issue but it was dealt with pretty well.

Considering the price I wonder why he cheapened out on something as crucial as the motors.

I think I would have been gone long ago, but Fanatec customer service has always been responsive to me. I always start and end my emails with German greeting/salutations and follow up with a phone call. That seems to get the ball rolling pretty quickly.

I may follow the guides on GTPlanet and replace the motors with custom ones and upgrade the belts while I am at it.

Raknar

Neo Member
Cheers for that.

For that sort of price I would expect the build quality to be very good. I picked up a T500 RS for that price and it's an excellent wheel and really well built.

I've used the wheel for 300 hours in Project CARS alone, and the wheel is still going strong. (League Racing). Not to mention countless hours in iRacing.

The FFB is very good. I've had cheaper wheels in the past and they've all felt like toys in comparison.

Pedals are very solid and quite adjustable. I can't seem to find any decent images of the new wheels pedals though.

The only issue that seems to really common is problems with the fan. Sometimes it gets very loud and hot, but I've heard it's easy to replace with a better one. I doubt the new wheel will have a similar issue.

wizzbang

Banned
Would I be right in saying we're yet again stuck in a situation where there's no definitive multiplatform wheel for previous 2 consoles and new 2 consoles, just like last time?

Have they really fucked this up, again?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm so glad now to have never upgraded to a Fanatec wheel. I'm mostly satisfied with the wheel and shifter, not with the pedals tho and I always wanted to see if there was a chance to use other (and better) units to replace G27's own pedals (especially breaking)... is there? I mean almost plug and play solution, cause if I need to spend money/time modding on top of buying new expensive pedals I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

If my G27 won't work with the PS4 and Gran Turismo 7 then I very much doubt I'll even bother to buy the game, that would be crazy if I think about it, but it's the same thing I did with Forza4 after I couldn't bare to use the fisher price MS wheel for another FM experience after the third game. Now that the xbone is out of my picture (I pray for my own sake that MS' console doesn't become yet again the shmups' platform of choice), GTurismo7 would be the only racing game I'd play on consoles, since I don't think anything else would skip a PC port (don't care to use a wheel for a 30fps racer like DriveClub honestly, I mean it'd be better but not pulling my hairs for it)... That would mean I'd really, really hope Project C.a.r.s. come out as an incredible full package rivaling GT7. But yeah, I'd hate since I've bought my G27 back in the day in preparation for GT5 and I also love using it for some arcade games (always pissed me off Outrun Online didn't support FFB).

Hope someone gets the ball rolling with Sony/Logitech support. What Microsoft is doing is despicable, their very expensive FM branded Fanatec came out what, two years ago? Way to leave customers in the dust, again.
I won"t have a problem in blasting Sony down a hell furnace if they do the same: With GT5 and GT6 supporting old PS2 USB wheels, GT6 coming out AFTER the PS4 and especially with GT5 having being sold since day1 with the Logitech GT as the official wheel of the game (at least before the T500 switcheroo I believe) they would deserve to be grilled HARD.

I know I wrote a papyr and few will bother to bear till the end of this post, but let's make some more noise people

I'm pretty sure this was already known, but NFS Rivals (not sure if this is PS4 or everything?) has absolutely no wheel support at all:

It was in an announcement for PS4 NFS:R but I'm unsure if that answer was "in general".

57PTi2v.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/04/need-for-speed-rivals-coming-to-ps4-on-november-15th/

No surprise really, pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere else but not sure.

This generation is starting off to be a really sad one for wheel enthusiasts. I don't think I'll be buying racing games this generation at all at this point. I'm not dumping another $600 for 1 game (GT7) as I already did that for two (Forza 4, GT5).

Will probably end up building a dedicated racing machine with the wheel setup for Project CARS whenever that comes out if worse comes to worse, so I'm not really going to 'stop racing' but I will on consoles.

Solal

I'm pretty sure this was already known, but NFS Rivals (not sure if this is PS4 or everything?) has absolutely no wheel support at all:

It was in an announcement for PS4 NFS:R but I'm unsure if that answer was "in general".

57PTi2v.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/04/need-for-speed-rivals-coming-to-ps4-on-november-15th/

This generation is starting off to be a really sad one for wheel enthusiasts. I don't think I'll be buying racing games this generation at all at this point. I'm not dumping another $600 for 1 game (GT7) as I already did that for two (Forza 4, GT5).

Will probably end up building a dedicated racing machine with the wheel setup for Project CARS whenever that comes out if worse comes to worse, so I'm not really going to 'stop racing' but I will on consoles.

Hey ! I am Cassius_clay! Completely forgot that I asked that question ! ;-)

Hey ! I am Cassius_clay! Completely forgot that I asked that question ! ;-)

Ha, small world.

I'm curious, so basically this is Sony just being greedy as fuck when it comes to wheel compatibility over USB correct? In the FAQ it states:

Will PS3 peripherals such as fighting sticks and steering wheels work with PS4?

Generally speaking, no. However, at launch, users will be able to use these controllers if a specific game title allows it to be used within the game. This decision is upon the game developer and will vary from game to game.

So if I'm reading this right, for example, the developer for Gran Turismo 7, NFS:Rivals, or DriveClub would have to PAY Sony to allow the usage of a wheel over USB? That's the only hurdle, correct? (outside of the actual programming for wheels)

I am just making sure I understand the "reason" we aren't seeing legacy support, and that's because Sony is forcing the developer to pay for the licensing to allow it? I'm assuming Fanatec/Logitech would need to create a driver schema too?

Honestly this is more frustrating that the fucking Xbox situation if there's no technical reason the wheels cannot all be supported but may not be.

Not that I buy the Xbox excuses.

Solal

Ha, small world.

I'm curious, so basically this is Sony just being greedy as fuck when it comes to wheel compatibility over USB correct? In the FAQ it states:

So if I'm reading this right, for example, the developer for Gran Turismo 7, NFS:Rivals, or DriveClub would have to PAY Sony to allow the usage of a wheel over USB? That's the only hurdle, correct? (outside of the actual programming for wheels)

I am just making sure I understand the "reason" we aren't seeing legacy support, and that's because Sony is forcing the developer to pay for the licensing to allow it? I'm assuming Fanatec/Logitech would need to create a driver schema too?

Well... that's not how i interpret it. What I understand is that there will be wheels that will be universally recognised (where devs will have almost nothing to do to use the wheel...): these will be the PS4 licensed wheels.

And then there will be the others (let's call them "OURS") that will need some efforts from the devs to make them compatible.

I feel like theorically, that means any USB wheel can be compatible with any game if the dev wants.

On PS3, it was like that iirc: my GT500 did not work on some games... though it was an official GT wheel...while my CSR works with more games.

So, if PD wants GT7 to work with every wheel on the planet, i think it's possible.

But I am not a tech guy, so maybe what i say makes no sense technically speaking...

Can someone correct me if i am wrong?

Anyone know if I can import the Thrustmaster T80 Drive Club Edition from anywhere on the internet and have it shipped to the US, and is it possible it wouldn't work on an NA system?

Afrikan

57PTi2v.jpg

WOW...if there wasn't reasons already to keep the o'l PS3 plugged in, there goes another one. GT6 it is then.

I'm pretty sure GT7 will have wheel support for most if not all the supported wheels in GT6. Polyphony cares enough to put in the extra work. I can even see Sony helping out with it since it's a first party game

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anyone know if I can import the Thrustmaster T80 Drive Club Edition from anywhere on the internet and have it shipped to the US, and is it possible it wouldn't work on an NA system?

Why would you do that? That wheel has no force feedback support AT ALL. Just rumble effects.
Would never waste money on something like that.

I'm pretty sure GT7 will have wheel support for most if not all the supported wheels in GT6. Polyphony cares enough to put in the extra work. I can even see Sony helping out with it since it's a first party game

I believe they will, my fear is mostly about FFB support, like PS2 USB wheels were supported but with no FFB on GT5. Something like that would honestly make no difference to me than no support at all simply because I wouldn't buy GT7 to play it like that

I just wish we could get an answer as straightforward as that out of Evo :(

It wouldn't do us any good, since they straight out said Rivals has no wheel support. We already know DC does, problem is what kind of support that is. They've been asked more specific questions and avoided answering, I believe someone quoted them saying it was up to Sony and the manufactures?

Mascot

Are we Fanatec owners really still in limbo? I know Xbone is pretty much denied but thought there was still hope for the PS4?

Foshy

57PTi2v.jpg

To be fair, NFS HP and MW didn't support wheels on PS3 either, right? Just Shift did iirc.

Solal

IIRC my CSR works with NFS hot pursuit on PS3...so I guess all logitech wheels do (as Fanatec kind of uses Logitech's firmware...)

Thinking of selling my CSR Elite now, I'm in the UK.

Any ideas where I'd get the best price?

I've sold on AVForums before, the low offers annoy me but it's an option.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
If GT7 doesn't support PS3 wheels(like the G25/27), we have to make a big stink about it. It's not like (good) racing wheels are cheap :/

Top Bottom