• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 16 EASHL Beta |OT| Where No Progression Is Better Than Nothing

Robcat

Banned
I haven't been able to play one game yet on Xbox one. My team can play but if I'm in the game it disconnects everyone.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Welp. Looks like the enforcers are going to dominate like every other game. Couldn't win a faceoff against that guy to save my life.

Just got done customizing my guy anyone looking to get a game in? I can play anywhere, prefer center (although I did skip NHL 15 so fair warning). I should be fine though, mic as well.

PSN: mugoldeneagle03

ggs to those I played with on PS4

I played 3 games and here are my impressions

+ no lag or crashes to report
+ harder to dangle thru traffic, seems like you might need to play a more realistic style to beat good teams
+ feels similar to EASHL on NHL14
+ passing takes skill, harder to pass on your backhand and you can tell the difference between the dman builds I played. Defensive Dman had brutal passing where 2Way and Off were noticeably better
+ goalie animations looked good and noticeably different

- AI is still braindead defensively and makes dumb passes
- skating didnt feel much different than NHL15 and I was unimpressed with how LT/L2 works. I didnt feel the precise lateral control they advertised
- feels similar to EASHL on NHL14
- menus are still laggy

Does the beta have any club hopping cooldowns like in the previous games?
Not sure but doubtful
See you tomorrow night then.
Dont tease me with this and not show up, friend
Can you play solo at all? Don't see pick up game options anywhere
No solo or drop in games, you have to create or join a club to play
Goalie controls are sooooooo broken. Completely unusable.
Havent tried yet, whats so broke about them?

It basically feels like you have no control over the goalie. Barely touching the stick results in sliding 15 feet in either direction. They changed some if the buttons so now even simple things are more difficult.

image.img.jpg

image_0.img.jpg

Looks like maybe u need to try LT/L2

You better git gud before you leave those peasants and come play with PS4 master race

ggs to those I played with on PS4

I played 3 games and here are my impressions

+ no lag or crashes to report
+ harder to dangle thru traffic, seems like you might need to play a more realistic style to beat good teams
+ feels similar to EASHL on NHL14
+ passing takes skill, harder to pass on your backhand and you can tell the difference between the dman builds I played. Defensive Dman had brutal passing where 2Way and Off were noticeably better
+ goalie animations looked good and noticeably different

- AI is still braindead defensively and makes dumb passes
- skating didnt feel much different than NHL15 and I was unimpressed with how LT/L2 works. I didnt feel the precise lateral control they advertised
- feels similar to EASHL on NHL14
- menus are still laggy

Oh damnit... why, why why why.

Thanks for the impressions.

So.. Is it 1080p and 60 fps? Anyone know?

Oh damnit... why, why why why.

Thanks for the impressions.

I read some impressions over at OS and wrote up some more thoughts, some are repeated from my other post

+ I really like what they have done with pass accuracy between the builds. I only played Dman tonight, but I tried TWD, DEF, OFF and there is a noticeable difference between the 3 that works gameplay balance-wise.

+ Goalie animations and overall movement looked different and much more realistic. I like how their glove is up most of the time now and how you can see and take advantage of momentum on aggressive pushes side-to-side

+ i like that its harder to dangle thru traffic, that should promote a better style of hockey for those interested in winning until the exploit stuff is eventually discovered

- i only played about 10 games of NHL15 and coming from 100s to 1000s of EASHL games last gen the skating improvements and LT/L2 new control didnt impress me much

- AI still braindead in most situations, but thats prob by design to promote more 5v5 and 6v6

- i will echo shogun's post from above, pass release seems a little slow. It was completely unresponsive on a few occasions for me

- ai goalie cleared puck into crowd 2 straight games without much pressure on him

-body checking was not effective as I expected with Defensive Dman build. I lined guys up right and they glanced off more than often and kept the puck. Some of these attempts seemef like the collision animation wasnt triggered correctly.

- protect puck button seems pretty OP still. I had trouble bodying a couple guys off the puck (not sure what builds) and I used it effectively with 3 different dman builds

Phinor

Have to love how everything is automated these days which usually means nothing works and there isn't anything you can do because hey, it was supposed to work automatically. So much fun with Windows 10 updates and downloads that didn't work and now the beta doesn't show up on my PS4 version.

Boohoo.

Yeah I played four games with the NPP club and all were pretty fun (and fairly close). Definitely enjoying that it's harder to get pucks to the net/harder to skate end to end, but yeah, feels like vision control was better inplemented in NHL 12 and 13?

Also, I was playing sniper and it wasn't clicking with me. I might have to try a new player type what with 1 goal and 7 assists suggesting I might be more of a playmaker...

More impressions tomorrow!

I can't find the GAF club when I search for "Beta" in the name, nor "GAF" as an abbreviation.

Is it full or something? I've never played EASHL.

Have to love how everything is automated these days which usually means nothing works and there isn't anything you can do because hey, it was supposed to work automatically. So much fun with Windows 10 updates and downloads that didn't work and now the beta doesn't show up on my PS4 version.

Boohoo.

I didn't think it was there for me either but it's in the upper right panel when you're on the Home tab. The one that cycles between HUT, HUT cards and stuff like that.

Phinor

I didn't think it was there for me either but it's in the upper right panel when you're on the Home tab. The one that cycles between HUT, HUT cards and stuff like that.

Yep, nothing there except a thing saying there might be news or updates here. I've never seen anything else in that panel. Nothing about HUT, nothing about beta, nothing about the game.

terrible

Banned
I seem to be getting worse with each new release. I'm struggling to keep my distance from the other team when I have the puck and they just have to go near me to steal the puck from me even if I'm protecting it. Defensively I'm not finding it easy to break up plays so I'm surprised at how hard it is for me to keep the puck. I clearly have no idea what I'm doing.

Yep, nothing there except a thing saying there might be news or updates here. I've never seen anything else in that panel. Nothing about HUT, nothing about beta, nothing about the game.

I was browsing OS and EA forums last night and ran across 2 possible solutions

1- If you struggle to find EASHL DL spot on #NHL15 on PS4 -- tab to the Play option, then tab back to Home and it should be in top right panel.

2- The other mentioned to toggle your language settings to another language then back to your normal one from the NHL15 settings menu.

If those dont work start browsing their forums here:
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/forums/show/535.page

I can't find the GAF club when I search for "Beta" in the name, nor "GAF" as an abbreviation.

Is it full or something? I've never played EASHL.

Club was there when I hopped off 5 hours ago. I made a couple people GMs so its possible they went back in and did something to settings I guess. It shouldnt be full.

Ill log in and check it in a few hours and let you know what I find

Loving this so far.....EASHL is back!!!

The more I play, the more I am enjoying it. The strafing works brilliantly and allows for subtle movements instead of your whole player turning and the reward for playing good positioning on D is the best I have ever seen, play it right and you'll break up most plays. The puck feels like it's there to be taken and not magnetised to sticks like they always use to be. AI goalies are giving up very little in the way of goals or rebounds though but it feels good creating chances that you'd expect IRL. Not many goals being scored at all making the games very tight, I like it. Being able to finally cycle the puck feels so good without all the pressure being applied as you receive or pass it, the ice just feels so much more open.

I also played (almost) 2 full games as G but we lost connection in both but it feels really nice this year, if you keep your finger on the left trigger for precise movements otherwise it's very easy to move too far leaving the net wide open. It feels so satisfying shutting down the cross-crease attempts and that invisible barrier right on the posts seems to be gone so by skate and pads weren't leaving gaps. It feels like playing the exact same way in 14 would have given up soft goals but in 16 you don't.

Playing forward.....TWF feels the best so far.

EDIT: There are most certainly some bugs and irritations from previous games but overall this is a very solid base to build from.

bumpkin

Good games last night, Vis and company! That second game was a heartbreaker. Sucks even more that it wasn't even the human players on the other team who scored the GWG.

I'll definitely be up for some more games tonight so I'll keep my eyes on this thread.

Honome

Couldn't play yesterday since the download only started after midnight but definitely gona join gaf ps4 team and play some games tonight.

RS4-

Well, the whole LT/L2 thing concerns me; along with the stupid fucking pinball shit where you're bouncing off players.

Top Bottom