• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NI-OH Alpha Demo Available Until May 5 - Prepare to Die A Lot

crimilde

Banned
So if I have the demo, I won't be able to access it after today? I only beat the first boss and unlocked Mark of the Conqueror, but probably won't be able to finish the rest of it before the end of the day, will I be missing anything?

Nope, you need to be online to play and they will shut down the servers after the 5th, unfortunately. Though I'd love more time with the game to try different stuff out. There are no more rewards to collect, but the stage feels completely different and there are new enemy types (ninjas in trees! demons! cyclops demons!). I liked it more than the first stage for sure.

The only weapon I liked was the hammer but it was really awkward fighting the boss with it. The hitboxes on his steel balls are fucked up and would keep hitting me through my guard. In phase 2 I kept hitting him when I thought he was in recovery from an attack, but the hammer is slow enough that I'd get caught in some bullshit like the bellyflop that hits way too far behind him and is a one shot.

I tried using the sword but I didn't have a good one and had no idea what I was doing. Went back to the hammer and did what worked in Bloodborne - stopped playing smart/patient and just went nuts (while minding my ki pulses). Kept stamina breaking him over and over, didn't even have to dodge much. Then unleashed the god hand for a ton of damage and got my mark of the conqueror. Previously every time I'd tried to use the summon I just got knocked out of it instantly but I guess I used it correctly this time.

Can't say I'm happy with that outcome to be honest. I can appreciate high difficulty and deep combat systems but this might not be my kind of game. I'd like to spend more time with it but the 1 hour I'll have tonight is gonna be for Overwatch.
Having initially played with the hammer too, I found it to be lacking in hindsight when switching over to another weapon on a second playthrough. It just lacks some of the more interesting nuances that the Katana (and seemingly the Spear) carries, with less diversity on how to tackle certain situations or enemies.

I'm fine with that category filling being a slower but hard-hitting niche nor am I claiming that it should be given the distinctive advantages of the other two weapon types whilst leaving its own strengths untouched, but Hammers / Axes could use some extra hooks to alleviate the fundamental issue of them being so straight-forward. They're weapons with a comparatively underdeveloped skill tree in the alpha build.

Even when the game hasn't told all its rules yet? OHK early is fine but having it too early isn't. You unlock tutorials by going further into the game and you are already punished from not knowing how the game works before the game even tells you most of the rules. That doesn't sound a good design to me but I assume this is just the case for this alpha build and they have fixed the issue in final build.
There's nothing inherently wrong with failure being a hard pill to swallow when starting out. Some games like Spelunky also opted for an 'uncompromising' hands-off approach and this in turn elevated the experience thanks to a keen sense of balance combined with many gameplay-related underlying layers, some obscure and others not so much. Some genres or styles simply lend themselves well to an overarching "show, don't tell" design and Ni-Oh (much like Dark Souls) is very conscious of that so far... with key information already being available if you know where to look.

ps3ud0

Is it reasonable to expect a "beta" demo a few months later?
Id be happy to replay the same demo with all the updates theyve made

I hope more developers try this approach - Im sure Team Ninja have got a lot of information/metrics from our play let alone our feedback

ps3ud0 8)

AnAnole

I wanted to try this game but I've been really busy. Since they're removing the demo, I won't try the game until it reaches bargain bin status.

autoduelist

Finally got a chance to play this last night.

Wow. It's samurai souls with lewt and a complex stance system. Combat is fairly brutal, though I think that's on me -- I've never been particularly good at parrying in games and so the group battles are pretty darn hard. I've also fought completely in mid-stance as I haven't internalized switching yet.

awesome game. Demon's and Dark Souls are my jam, though I don't have enough time nowadays to put into a game like this (still need to play DS2/3, though i've plat'd Demon's, Dark, and BB). So while I don't think i'll be picking this up right away due to other priorities, I'm absolutely psyched for everyone else.

Hahs

Is it reasonable to expect a "beta" demo a few months later?
Absolutely - I assume they're still building (levels/assets) at this point. Once most of that is finished I'm expecting to see a beta.

Not to mention the game has been in development-hell for 10+ years, that in itself warrants consecutive demo-releases.

The absolute biggest issue I have with the game is the lack of shortcuts. 3 is not enough when one of them pretty much has to be Elixir. Good luck using stuff when you have multiple different bombs, multiple Shurikens, multiple scrolls and who knows what else in the final game.

Just make it so holding R1 allows access to a different set of shortcuts or something.

ps3ud0

Finally got a chance to play this last night.

Wow. It's samurai souls with lewt and a complex stance system. Combat is fairly brutal, though I think that's on me -- I've never been particularly good at parrying in games and so the group battles are pretty darn hard. I've also fought completely in mid-stance as I haven't internalized switching yet.

awesome game. Demon's and Dark Souls are my jam, though I don't have enough time nowadays to put into a game like this (still need to play DS2/3, though i've plat'd Demon's, Dark, and BB). So while I don't think i'll be picking this up right away due to other priorities, I'm absolutely psyched for everyone else.
Erm Ive completed the first stage and still cant parry :eek:. Just cant get the timing right in this game...

Damn gonna try to later

ps3ud0 8)

Rajang

I wanted to try this game but I've been really busy. Since they're removing the demo, I won't try the game until it reaches bargain bin status.

2lj0riv.gif

DedValve

Banned

Almost all games don't even have demos. Do you just ignore them completely or did you not put a lot of thought into your shitposting?

Gsnap

The absolute biggest issue I have with the game is the lack of shortcuts. 3 is not enough when one of them pretty much has to be Elixir. Good luck using stuff when you have multiple different bombs, multiple Shurikens, multiple scrolls and who knows what else in the final game.

Just make it so holding R1 allows access to a different set of shortcuts or something.

Yeah, it would be cool if they allowed easy access to a few more shortcuts. Not all of them of course. There needs to be a few limitations. But accessing a sub-menu while holding r1 would be a good idea since button space is limited.

What could also be fun, is having sets of shortcuts dedicated to specific stances. High, mid, and low each have their own shortcuts, so you have to be careful and choosy about what you assign to which.

But that may be more complex than necessary.

Caderfix

So today is the last day to beat the first boss? Damn it... I've only downloaded the Alpha yesterday, as I didn't know the limit date was today, I didn't even know about the reward...

I hope there's enough time haha

Mrmask

So I finally beat the first boss and it said I could download the DLC. I have a Japanese PS4 and I live in the US, I sometimes press the wrong button, so I accidentally exited the DLC download page. Any way to get back there to download the DLC or am I screwed?

Chitown B

didn't have time to play this. Only killed the first dude in front of me and then I got busy. Oh well. I'll check it out at launch.

So I finally beat the first boss and it said I could download the DLC. I have a Japanese PS4 and I live in the US, I sometimes press the wrong button, so I accidentally exited the DLC download page. Any way to get back there to download the DLC or am I screwed?

When I logged in again it gave me another notification to download it. Try going to the title screen.

Ydelnae

I just beated Nue. It becomes so easy once you knew his patterns and his hitboxes. The game actually kinds of reminds me of the Kingdom Hearts games at Proud Mode.

I'm here day one. I just hope they are smart with the release timing. I have so much to play later this year that I don't know if I could buy some time for this.

This kind of defensiveness is terrible. The community for nioh is already off to a bad start.

It's one person's response and the Nioh COMMUNITY is off to a bad start, jesus what?

EDIT: Just read the OP and the game was being shit on without having been played, what hell else is anyone going to say to something so silly?

This kind of defensiveness is terrible. The community for nioh is already off to a bad start.

Make a reasoned arguement about why you think the mechaincs are bad, taking in all the information provided in this thread and others, and people will engage with you.

Make an uninformed shitpost, proving you havent spent more than 5 minutes trying to learn the game or its systems (or in this case, havent played the game at all) and people will make fun of you.

This applies to any franchise.

I really like this game but the ridiculous item degradation completely kills the flow. Having to fiddle with menus every five minutes or less is not my idea of fun in an action game. If it's toned way down or even removed in the final game I'll probably buy it.

Everything else is fine, including the lock on; it gives me a very Bushido Blade feel which is entirely appropriate.

To be fair, you were criticising the demo without even playing it, which isn't the best starting point for any kind of meaningful conversation.

To be fair, you were criticising the demo without even playing it, which isn't the best starting point for any kind of meaningful conversation.

?

i'm guessing you meant the other poster but i have played it. From what they have given us i think the lvl design and aesthetics are bland, the UI is hideous, the constant flow of loot crap compared to just finding unique armor and weapons about and the weapon degradation is shit.

But the combat is alright and i'll be keeping an eye on the game to see how it shapes up because i like the core concept enough.

IvorB

The main problem with my strategy is it seemed the ball swing would randomly do full damage even though I was guarding with full ki, no idea why.

Something was buggy about that ball swing. Sometimes you can guard it but other times you can't. So I just evaded it instead of trying to block.

Id be happy to replay the same demo with all the updates theyve made

I hope more developers try this approach - Im sure Team Ninja have got a lot of information/metrics from our play let alone our feedback

ps3ud0 8)

Absolutely - I assume they're still building (levels/assets) at this point. Once most of that is finished I'm expecting to see a beta.

Not to mention the game has been in development-hell for 10+ years, that in itself warrants consecutive demo-releases.

I wouldn't want them to waste time and resource to build a whole new level just for demo purposes, maybe just a few enemy placement changes to keep things fresh, but also, add a new dlc reward XD

I strongly agree, I don't want to be a "Do it like Dark Souls!" guy, but the easiest fix to allow more item use is to adopt that approach.

Yeah, looks like the "git gud" crowd is moving on to this game.
I'm not looking forward to this at all.

My experience with the Dark Souls community- If you ask them politely how to approach a particular trouble, people are more than willing to teach you. If you come in throwing a fit, you'll be responded appropriately.

So really, not any different from any gaming community.

Szadek

My experience with the Dark Souls community- If you ask them politely how to approach a particular trouble, people are more than willing to teach you. If you come in throwing a fit, you'll be responded appropriately.

So really, not any different from any gaming community.
Apperently saying a game sounds frustrating is considered " throwing a fit". Good to know.

TalonJH

?

i'm guessing you meant the other poster but i have played it. From what they have given us i think the lvl design and aesthetics are bland, the UI is hideous, the constant flow of loot crap compared to just finding unique armor and weapons about and the weapon degradation is shit.

But the combat is alright and i'll be keeping an eye on the game to see how it shapes up because i like the core concept enough.

I can understand the UI hate, it's not great but it's serviceable for this type of game.

You trade the loot that you don't need in for more experience points and a random chance of getting items at the shrines. It also supplies you with backup armor/weapons in case you don't have repair items. Armor of the same level have different stats letting you customize for your playstyle and different item drop rates.

There is a 2nd level in the demo that you unlock but it's about the same aesthetically.

Apperently saying a game sounds frustrating is considered " throwing a fit". Good to know.

Why so defensive? I was talking about my experience with the Dark Souls community.

EDIT: Hmmm, I quoted the wrong person- Wanted to get your "Git Gud Crowd" comment.

EDIT: Now that I look at it properly, the guy wasn't even calling you to git gud.

Riposte

I feel like guard and change stance/stamina recovery should be one button.

I can't lie, some of this game's mechanics would be nice in a Souls game proper.

Sushigod7

I love this game I'm more hyped for this than anything coming out soon. I hope it hits late this year. I also love anguish and rage quitters it brings out. lol

I feel like guard and change stance/stamina recovery should be one button.

I can't lie, some of this game's mechanics would be nice in a Souls game proper.

I don't think that would work. You can flow combos from one stance to another, this would throw random blocks and break the combo chain.

?

Ah, indeed, I thought you were the same GAFer. My point still stands though, can't fault Mutombo for not taking Szadek's post seriously.

And yeah, I agree that the durability/constant switching of gear is inexcusable. I had zero problems with the UI or level design though. There's however another thing that bothers me a lot, and that is that the camera angle makes your character block the view of the enemy in front of you, which is crucial for anticipating their attacks, so you're forced to tilt the camera continuously. I don't remember how Dark Souls et al do it (higher camera?), but I never had this problem. Hopefully they'll listen to feedback and address both of these points.

yatesl

I only just downloaded this today. Beat the first 3 enemies (and a bunch of dead players/summons/whatever) and this is definitely something I'd be interested in.

You die so fast, but I'll just need to be on my dodge game.

Ah, indeed, I thought you were the same GAFer. My point still stands though, can't fault Mutombo for not taking Szadek's post seriously.

And yeah, I agree that the durability/constant switching of gear is inexcusable. I had zero problems with the UI or level design though. There's however another thing that bothers me a lot, and that is that the camera angle makes your character block the view of the enemy in front of you, which is crucial for anticipating their attacks, so you're forced to tilt the camera continuously. I don't remember how Dark Souls et al do it (higher camera?), but I never had this problem. Hopefully they'll listen to feedback and address both of these points.

Well Dark Souls enemies, even the humanoids, tend to be bigger. Especially the more dangerous enemies... The ones people usually parry.

But you're also right in that the camera would tilt slightly down.

Well Dark Souls enemies, even the humanoids, tend to be bigger. Especially the more dangerous enemies... The ones people usually parry.

But you're also right in that the camera would tilt slightly down.

Camera needs to be higher and angled downwards slightly probably. I did notice this as well. It was rare for me but when it did happen, I had no idea what the other guy in front of me was doing. Only way out of that for me was to dodge to the left or right for better positioning.

Dineren

Banned
I'm still not sure what to think after obtaining the mark. I didn't really enjoy exploring the first stage at all and only bothered to complete it just in case I end up with it in the future I won't miss out on the DLC. I had a lot of fun fighting the boss though, which is a weird switch from when I play a souls game where I prefer the exploration and regular enemies to the boss fights by far.

Maybe I just need to replay the first level if I have time this evening. The boss forced me to get in the habit of using ki pulse which could potentially make the gameplay more enjoyable.

TalonJH

Camera needs to be higher and angled downwards slightly probably. I did notice this as well. It was rare for me but when it did happen, I had no idea what the other guy in front of me was doing. Only way out of that for me was to dodge to the left or right for better positioning.

This is really my only big complaint. Way too low of a camera angle when locked on.

BBboy20

Yeah, it would be cool if they allowed easy access to a few more shortcuts. Not all of them of course. There needs to be a few limitations. But accessing a sub-menu while holding r1 would be a good idea since button space is limited.

What could also be fun, is having sets of shortcuts dedicated to specific stances. High, mid, and low each have their own shortcuts, so you have to be careful and choosy about what you assign to which.

But that may be more complex than necessary.
or use the touch pad

Do we know at what time the servers will be shut down?

I just moved so I didn't get to play the last 3 days. I had just gotten to the second shrine, I hope I have enough time to finish it today.

By the way, what the hell are the two slots below 'Armor' and 'D-pad Shortcuts' by the way? I could never figure out how to access those after assigning things to them.

inventory0.jpeg

Revan

This is really my only big complaint. Way too low of a camera angle when locked on.

This. Left a similar remark on the feedback website. The camera feels a lot like NGB's in close quarters combat - zooms right in and the environment gets in the way. When you are getting swarmed by enemies it makes it almost impossible to see who is doing what.

Top Bottom