• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
You could already use B-Mode before that if you're aware of the self-destruct mechanic, and it's pretty easy to abuse with the right chips.

Easy to abuse or not, it's an horrendously designed fight. I couldn't see a bloody thing and was being spam-attacked from all angles. Nothing else in the game (so far) has been as bad.

I've never used the self-destruct, so wasn't aware Berserk-mode was already a thing. But that only removes the one positive justification I could've pointed to for a reason why that fight exists. Now I can't defend it in any way, it's just a terrible, terrible part of the game that serves no purpose whatsoever!

Good thing the rest of the game is aces.

Kard8p3

I've got FAR and the ds4 icon mod (why the fuck do games these days not have this built in? Fuckin Friday the 13th devs told me on twitter they do!), are there any other fixes/mods I need?

Yes, and the quest-log confirms it.

No idea, then. If the quest log says "keep looking for more old crap" then you should be at the right stage.

Did you also find the Phoenix Lance during the quest? I don't know if the quest wants to make sure you don't miss that along the way.

Kard8p3

Quick question since I just started: When exactly does swapping characters come into play? Is that only during certain story arcs, or will I be able to free roam as my character of choice? I have to say this game has definitely quickly captured my attention. It feels like it incorporates almost something from every kind of genre, lmao. I was not expecting a Dark Souls-esque death mechanic.

Hektor

Quick question since I just started: When exactly does swapping characters come into play? Is that only during certain story arcs, or will I be able to free roam as my character of choice? I have to say this game has definitely quickly captured my attention. It feels like it incorporates almost something from every kind of genre, lmao. I was not expecting a Dark Souls-esque death mechanic.

You don't get a choice

Ahh, alright! That's fine, I was just simply curious :).

I'm assuming there's a nice # of weapons in the game as well?

edit: Also, when it comes to selling items, anything that has a box icon is safe to sell, correct?

4 types 40 total.

Anything that says "can be sold for money" is safe

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got to 3rd playthrough. I'm done. This is now more annoying than fun. First two playthroughs were enjoyable and loved it. But I don't have time for this bullshit.
The virus stuff
is probably the dumbest anti-fun shit I've seen.

Power through it.
It's meant to make you feel powerless for a reason.

Also not really that hard. All i did was skirt around the edges of the crater to the destination and had no trouble at all.

Dunan

Quick question: I finished A, B, and D. I can tell what I need to do to get C, and presumably E. But before doing that and (I imagine) permanently ending the game, there are a few locations that I haven't been able to get to:

Emil tells me to go "deeper" to find out where he lives. I've found two areas that could lead to where he lives: one is a locked door in the caves near the alien ship. Another is a deep cave connected to that open pipe in the crater (I didn't even see the door in there until I tried fishing there). Beyond that door are some ridiculously strong enemies. Is it worth grinding to the point where I can fight them?

Is it worth pursuing this stuff or should I just end the game now? I skipped some of the ridiculous grindy gardening stuff and still loved the first Nier.

Quick question: I finished A, B, and D. I can tell what I need to do to get C, and presumably E. But before doing that and (I imagine) permanently ending the game, there are a few locations that I haven't been able to get to:

Emil tells me to go "deeper" to find out where he lives. I've found two areas that could lead to where he lives: one is a locked door in the caves near the alien ship. Another is a deep cave connected to that open pipe in the crater (I didn't even see the door in there until I tried fishing there). Beyond that door are some ridiculously strong enemies. Is it worth grinding to the point where I can fight them?

Is it worth pursuing this stuff or should I just end the game now? I skipped some of the ridiculous grindy gardening stuff and still loved the first Nier.

The Emil stuff has
a really good payoff for fans of the first NieR, but you gotta fight 2 super strong bosses and the second one requires all weapons at max upgrades. There are easy ways to grind levels (the gold bunny statue at the amusement park). Weapon upgrades are easy because most mats are for sale, you just need the money.

LotusHD

Banned

Err, depends on you I guess, depends how badly you want to see Emil. There's a secret boss you can fight twice, the second time needing you to first get all the weapons and maxing them out to Lv4, which is rather tedious. Anyways, get Endings D and E first.

Dunan

The Emil stuff has
a really good payoff for fans of the first NieR, but you gotta fight 2 super strong bosses and the second one requires all weapons at max upgrades. There are easy ways to grind levels (the gold bunny statue at the amusement park). Weapon upgrades are easy because most mats are for sale, you just need the money.

Err, depends on you I guess, depends how badly you want to see Emil. There's a secret boss you can fight twice, the second time needing you to first get all the weapons and maxing them out to Lv4, which is rather tedious. Anyways, get Endings D and E first.

Wait, if I get ending E, doesn't that do what you would think ending E would do?

Not sure I want to grind; I don't even have all the weapons, much less have them at level 4. But if there's an Emil-related side quest, I'd like to do it, because I loved Nier and am enjoying all the little callbacks to it.

I'm at around level 48. Do I have to go through that pipe cave next? It is very, very tough.

Antiwhippy

Wait, if I get ending E, doesn't that do what you would think ending E would do?

Just do it lol. You can get back to your stuff if you want to.

We won't judge you too harshly.

Though to be more specific.

You get to choose if you want to do it or not/

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Easy to abuse or not, it's an horrendously designed fight. I couldn't see a bloody thing and was being spam-attacked from all angles. Nothing else in the game (so far) has been as bad.

I've never used the self-destruct, so wasn't aware Berserk-mode was already a thing. But that only removes the one positive justification I could've pointed to for a reason why that fight exists. Now I can't defend it in any way, it's just a terrible, terrible part of the game that serves no purpose whatsoever!

Good thing the rest of the game is aces.

Just encountered the same thing you did. Game got bullshit hard for no reason. I'm just gonna uninstall it because I really just don't care to keep repeating the same bullshit over and over.

It wouldn't be so bad if the saves helped you along but you have to start ALL over no matter how far down you get him. Dodging doesn't seem to do much when there are 30 lasers coming at you and you could at least see what was going on. This playthrough didn't sour the amazing experience I had with the first two but jesus christ did they fuck this up bad. Sure, I could put it down to easy and move up but I don't want to just on principle.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That big flying snake machine in the desert is right up there with the absolute worst fights I've ever seen in any game. I honestly burst out laughing when it split up into the balls on the ground and they all attacked from ever conceivable angle, as A2 died in a maelstrom of laser/bullet fire amidst a confused, incomprehensible on-screen jumble of sand and noise and mess. Then I selected easy difficulty, blasted through it and just moved the hell on. Ain't nobody got time for that...

I'm at a complete loss to explain what they were thinking with the design there. I mean, Berserk mode is cool, yeah, but it did not need to be introduced through that nonsense.
Just take it down to easy. I spent half an hour on that fight, said "fuck this" and never looked back

Hello! This game is arriving for me on Wednesday. I just finished the first Nier with all the endings and had a couple of questions on the optimal way for me to play Automata. Please provide as little detail as possible in your answers and quote me if you respond. Thank you very much!

1. Do I have the choice to play using Japanese audio? If so, what is the recommendation (vs. English)? Usually I would play in Japanese, but if the English voice acting is really good or if it fits the game better I will do that. If I were to play in Japanese, is everything subtitled, or would there be stuff I would miss?

2. Speaking of subtitles, in the first Nier if you had subtitles turned off, subtitles would also remain off for the fictional languages in the game. I usually always play with subtitles off. If there are fictional languages in Automata, will subtitles be provided even if I have them off if I play in English?

3. Regarding English audio, if there are any returning characters (please don't tell me who if there are) from the first Nier, are the voice actors the same? If yes, this is the main reason I would not play in Japanese.

Thank you again. I look forward to finally playing this in a couple of days!

LotusHD

Banned
Just encountered the same thing you did. Game got bullshit hard for no reason. I'm just gonna uninstall it because I really just don't care to keep repeating the same bullshit over and over.

It wouldn't be so bad if the saves helped you along but you have to start ALL over no matter how far down you get him. Dodging doesn't seem to do much when there are 30 lasers coming at you and you could at least see what was going on. This playthrough didn't sour the amazing experience I had with the first two but jesus christ did they fuck this up bad. Sure, I could put it down to easy and move up but I don't want to just on principle.

Well... alright then, sorry you didn't enjoy it. Won't lie, I don't share those principles (at least not to the point where I'd uninstall a game), although I didn't need to lower it from Normal. Probably would be... something on Hard difficulty tho lol

LotusHD

Banned
Hello! This game is arriving for me on Wednesday. I just finished the first Nier with all the endings and had a couple of questions on the optimal way for me to play Automata. Please provide as little detail as possible in your answers and quote me if you respond. Thank you very much!

1. Do I have the choice to play using Japanese audio? If so, what is the recommendation (vs. English)? Usually I would play in Japanese, but if the English voice acting is really good or if it fits the game better I will do that. If I were to play in Japanese, is everything subtitled, or would there be stuff I would miss?

2. Speaking of subtitles, in the first Nier if you had subtitles turned off, subtitles would also remain off for the fictional languages in the game. I usually always play with subtitles off. If there are fictional languages in Automata, will subtitles be provided even if I have them off if I play in English?

3. Regarding English audio, if there are any returning characters (please don't tell me who if there are) from the first Nier, are the voice actors the same? If yes, this is the main reason I would not play in Japanese.

1. This is one of those rare games where the English dub is genuinely outstanding, so I'd go with that.

2. I believe subtitles are always on in regards to people speaking. I don't think I recall any fictional languages being uttered outside of the vocal tracks.

3. Yes.

Moaradin

1. The English is the way to go IMO. The dub is fantastic, just like the first game. There is a decent amount of ambient dialogue that isn't subtitled even if you have it enabled.

2. Not sure.

3. Yes.

Antiwhippy

Hegel
is a terrible boss fight but it's only one blip honestly.

Also I didn't actually have that much trouble with it, I just didn't find it fun.

I found the game very challenging even on normal. Especially when I'm surrounded by lots of machines, and also
9S hacking
sequences. I put offense and healing chips and I still have to use healing items from time to time. I couldn't imagine dealing with some of the encounters on harder difficulties.

Pooya

Normal was just right for me until C. The game got ridiculously harder. I spent a while on grinding and upgrading my gear, did more quests. It made it manageable but the last stretch of the game was still quite hard with high chances of OHK. I'd say they needed a difficulty between easy and normal. Easy is way too easy.

LotusHD

Banned
Normal was just right for me until C. The game got ridiculously harder. I spent a while on grinding and upgrading my gear, did more quests. It made it manageable but the last stretch of the game was still quite hard with high chances of OHK. I'd say they needed a difficulty between easy and normal. Easy is way too easy.

No, it needs one between Normal and Hard, or actually, just fix Hard and leave all the one-shot stuff to Very Hard lol

Normal eventually gets rather easy once you get the healing chips, Overclock, Shockwave, etc. While Hard just does so much damage for no reason. In my 2nd playthrough I even went out of my way to equip a lot of chips that would decrease the damage, but would still encounter boss battles where I just get one-shot. Not worth the frustration, and I only really want to complete all the sidequests, so I changed it back to Normal lol

Actually, the Hard difficulty was perfect back in the demo, I don't know why they changed it.

Automatic item use chip? After your health bar goes down certain percent automatically uses healing items.

I have it installed but it's not really reliable due to its 30% HP proc. Some attacks deal more than 50% HP damage and the chip is useless in that instance. Sometimes I have to use a healing item at 50% HP or so.

Has there been any info on when the DLC is being released on Steam?

In the next 24 hours. http://steamcommunity.com/gid/[g:1:28007909]/announcements/detail/1290688764979063135

I've cleared that square like 9 times. Ran around flew around nothing. I'm only 67 right now so I'm just going to grind elsewhere for levels and just trigger it instead of hack cheesing it.

Also, yeah, seems like you can't trigger that fight by hacking anymore. You have to hit it for enough damage, which will take an eternity if you're underleveled.

So the last patch was intended to stop people gaining levels off it too early?

Ludens

Banned
No idea, then. If the quest log says "keep looking for more old crap" then you should be at the right stage.

Did you also find the Phoenix Lance during the quest? I don't know if the quest wants to make sure you don't miss that along the way.

No, I miss the Phoenix Lance, where is it?
But yeah, the quest log says I gave to the quest giver all the first three items, and I need to keep looking for more of them.
I also did several quests after that one, but that's the only one bugged it seems.

Antiwhippy

Im playing route c (third playthrough), how do I make it so I
don't die of corruption?

There should be a waypoint on the map,
but just has towards the abandoned mall.

Also don't go into the crater and you should be able to survive. I didn't really find it that hard.

Kyonashi

Is there a hidden message on the Colosseum DLC store page? There are capitalised letters throughout the description.
A2Ff2Ws.png

Looks like the letters are DSRCAJOWINHRERYLSONDNCLDPAVNTT if you don't include capitals where they should be (beginnings of sentences, in the word 'NieR' etc.)

The celestial alphabet in the image reads 'DOWNLOAD CONTENT' though I'm not sure what the final character is (the little bowl shaped one with the line across)?

Hektor

Is there a hidden message on the Colosseum DLC store page? There are capitalised letters throughout the description.

Looks like the letters are DSRCAJOWINHRERYLSONDNCLDPAVNTT if you don't include capitals where they should be (beginnings of sentences, in the word 'NieR' etc.)

The celestial alphabet in the image reads 'DOWNLOAD CONTENT' though I'm not sure what the final character is (the little bowl shaped one with the line across)?

The bowl should be an S, so "download contents" I think

Very curios about the capitalization, the name of the dlc is short for "3 costumes, 3 Colosseums, 1 date, 1 dream" with the dream being a mystery iirc. Maybe those letters are connected to it, given the fact that they patched in a new elevator (according to other gaffers) it might be a tease for more dlc

Top Bottom