• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

GenericUser

I played the demo and I liked it. One thing though: will you be able to choose a male character to play as? I hate playing as a women.

convo

Finding hidden paths, opening a short-cut and kicking down a ladder. Yeah i think even this demo area is designed to be revisisted at least in the full game.

Rojiraan

Just tried the demo.

The JP cast, the music, the gameplay, the art/hud direction, the character animations, the camera work, the final boss...
Damn. FEELS. Thousands thanks to the Nier team for this demo.

Dear Japan,
Never stop to deliver big budget games to the world,
please.

Time to download Gravity Rush 2 now.... What a time to be alive.

Hektor

I played the demo and I liked it. One thing though: will you be able to choose a male character to play as? I hate playing as a women.

There are 3 characters in this game, but nobody knows wether you can choose or if it is based on story beats.

Probably a mixture fo both.

Just tried the demo.

The JP cast, the music, the gameplay, the art/hud direction, the camera work, the final boss...
Damn. FEELS. Thousands thanks to the Nier team for this demo.

Dear Japan,
Never stop to deliver big budget games to the world,
please.

Time to download Gravity Rush 2 now.... What a time to be alive.

Neither Nier or GR2have a paticular high budget tho, i would think.

raven777

There are 3 characters in this game, but nobody knows wether you can choose or if it is based on story beats.

Probably a mixture fo both.

I remember long time ago Yoko Taro said that it was based on story beat so you don't get to choose who you play when.

Rojiraan

Neither Nier or GR2have a paticular high budget tho, i would think.

That's why I preferred use the term "big budget" instead of AAA (or AA or.. other), cause I know GAF debated on this recently :p
I wonder how high the budget is for this game (and others future 2017 JP titles like GR2 or Ni no Kuni).

Oh, and I forgot to add the character animation to my previous list.
So good.

Holy fuck the combat in this is tight. I don't like the robot enemies but guessing that's the game's premise. But damn, love everything about the main character too.

Weird though, I jumped, and I could see her thong. Didn't even think it was possible to see up a character's skirt in a game before. Lol

Ruruja

Just beat the demo, that was awesome.

I love the main character design.

Combat was fun, interesting to see what happens when you level up the weapons' stories.

About evading - what's happening when your character sort of multiplies for a second when evading an attack? Is it just there to tell you that you evaded the attack succesfully at the last second, and if it wasn't for the invincibility frames, you would've taken damage?

Its a typical PG mechanic, if you dodge at the last moment you get some kind of buff. In this game you launch enemies up in the air and setup aerial combo. It could be context specific.

Jiraiza

UcnBpEP.jpg

Amazing.

Kaizer

Banned
Just downloaded the demo, only played a few minutes so far but it's already really enjoyable! Had to switch to custom controls though, I moved the Dodge/Evade to the Circle button & put the Lock-On on L1.

Unsurprisingly, this looks super slick. I look forward to playing when I get back from Holiday visiting.

My only vague concern is how the skill-based gameplay will work with traditional RPG progression. I had a bit of an issue w/ this in FF XV as well, actually. If I can perfect dodge everything from the get-go, what's the great value in levels?

Hektor

Unsurprisingly, this looks super slick. I look forward to playing when I get back from Holiday visiting.

My only vague concern is how the skill-based gameplay will work with traditional RPG progression. I had a bit of an issue w/ this in FF XV as well, actually. If I can perfect dodge everything from the get-go, what's the great value in levels?

People can finish Final Fantasy (the older oens( and Dark Souls on LVL1 playthroughs as well *shrugs*.

Level ups will make it easier for you if you don't have the skill to perfect dodge everything.

Is this a direct sequel or can I go into it blind?

You can go in blind.

finalflame

Somewhat unrelated, but I just started downloading this demo and also see Gravity Rush 2, but it says "This content is not available at this time". Is GR2 demo not available yet?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of fun, but not really my cup of tea as I'm not a big Platinum/action games in general fan. I may check it out more if reviews are stellar.

Caim

Evade canceling the large sword launcher into a combo is so satisfying.

I love how there is so many different animations for everything, if you do heavy air small sword attack and evade after the throw you'll do a dive stab instead of coming straight down.

The same thing also somewhat applies to the large sword launcher as well.

Weapon swapping also has a lot of combo potential.

kennyamr

I just played the demo. Maaaan What a demo! I'm all in, I need this on day 1.
I was already hyped but even then, the demo could exceed all my expectations.
If you haven't, get the demo and play it now.

convo

Is this a direct sequel or can I go into it blind?

It doesn't matter. The game is made so people can go in without any prior knowledge. Fans will go oh shit and scream loudly at things that mean nothing to you but it's not essential. It will be a good game without any of that knowledge.

Haven't had this much fun in a demo since FFXV episode Duscae. I probably played this demo 4 times already and still can't get enough. Definitely going to get this on both PS4 and PC, and it's rare for me to double dip. Can't wait for March

Weiss

Banned
Alright well now that I've had some time to decompress I think I'll give some impressions.

It's different from NieR in a lot of ways, and that's probably for the best. Automata deserves to be its own beast. Everything good about it is, in some way, counteracted by being Not NieR Enough, and that's how it should be. I'm not playing NieR 2. I'm playing NieR Automata.

I think the best praise I can give is that the music is as good as NieR's, and the only objective downgrade I can see is in Pod being a little robo helper instead of a sassy smack talking book with a British accent.

Mathieran

Banned
Just played through the demo. It was pretty fun. Don't like it when games go to 30 fps for cinematically then back to 60 for gameplay though.

Top Bottom