• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata tops 500,000 sold on Steam

dan2026

I am probably the only one on whose machine it ran flawless but I just didn't like the game. I found the world bland and the combat repetitive.

Nah, i am just asking to compare... I fail to see why 500K is a success in a platform with a massive install base. For a Indie, 500K is really good, but for a Platinum game....

You need to look at how many have a machine to run the game rather than Steam install base.

Maybe things have changed but not so long ago I worked out about 30 million have a good gaming rig. Even if 60 million on Steam have a decent rig 500k is very good. This is a Japanese console game, often these games range 500k-1m on console lifetime.

Mechazawa

It's a fantastic game, but a lousy port that's only remedied by a collaborative community patch(and even then, it still has a couple of issues).

Platinum deserves the sales, but Square sure as fuck doesn't.

Iscariot

Seems like a cool game, but I regret my purchase. The port is (outside of Arkham Knight) easily the worst I've played.

It's complete BS it hasn't been patched.

KTallguy

Banned
I'm enjoying it but I had to bump the difficulty from hard to normal because I kept getting one shotted... does anyone know if the AI changes depending on difficulty?

Not really, no.

I do feel bad for Platinum though, their other ports are good, so they probably would be willing to fix this too.

Not with this level of technical issue that just go completely unaddressed for months.

Delivering a working product should be an obligation.

Games with issues that the devs stop giving a fuck about solving? No, they don't.

It's a bad port so no. There's no excuse for at least an attempt at patching up a game released the way this one was, but they've shown no interest thus far.

Yeah I guess that part does suck

Still a really good game though and FAR works really well...

Gbraga

I can't believe I traded this away with 40 other PS3 games to Gamestop for Overwatch and Doom... :/

I can't believe you did this either, wtf.

I'm enjoying it but I had to bump the difficulty from hard to normal because I kept getting one shotted... does anyone know if the AI changes depending on difficulty?

I don't think so.

You'll get one shotted a lot on Hard, especially early on, but on Normal you may start to get a bit too powerful. What I went with was playing on Normal but bumping it to Hard every time a boss fight started. The game doesn't have any difficulty related achievements or anything like that, so it's really just there for you to find the most enjoyable experience.

I still killed bosses way too quickly, but they'd kill me in a few hits as well, so it made things more interesting.

Arulan

I'd try to stick with Hard if you can. You probably just need a few HP and/or damage reduction mods if you're getting killed in one shot. Don't forget to use your items either.

UrbanRats

I didn't say it was, but he's obviously aware of the issues, so I'm just telling him what I usually hear when people ask "PS4 or PC"?

Oh i know, it wasn't meant to be an attack on your post, sorry.

I was referring to the game itself and not the state of the port, which should have been fixed already but at least we have FAR to fix it.

This is well-deserved for Taro. You're free to disagree but I think the game deserves the sales.
As i said i feel sorry for Platinum, and Yoko Taro, and whoever worked hard on the game, but isn't responsible on whether or not they can allocate resources to fix their product... but that money will mostly go to Square Enix, which released a broken product that they don't seem to want to fix.
The only patch they had the balls to release, was the one to release the over priced DLC.

Fuck that.

I bought the game, i want to play it, but i can't.
I don't think they deserve anyone's praise for that shit.

That said, the game itself may very well be great (the hours i did manage to play, were pretty good) but i just can't ignore that fact.
I wouldn't for any other game (be it Batman Arkham Knight, or Just Cause 3, or any other game with even less severe technical problems on PC).

Since this is a Steam version related thread, i think it's an inevitable talking point.

A wonderful game, gratz to Platinum and Yoko Taro.

Hopefully another Nier game is on the cards.

Although whoever designed the map should be shot out of a cannon and into the sun. It's absolutely useless.

Mifec

I don't see why KH3 couldn't happen on PC eventually. They have finally gotten away from their no digital past this year and I doubt they would have any such problems with KH3.

It's the first game on Xbox, might as well add PC.
Because it's SE.

SE said before XV came out, expect to wait a year for a PC release, plus the team is finishing up the DLC.
KH though....better just buy it on PS4 till they comment on it even a bit.

Pretty much what Ray says.

beastlove

Wonder how many they would sell if the performance was good. I've held of buying this as I believe there are performance issues

What's the issue exactly with Nier on PC? Performance? Crashes? I have a PS4 Pro, but I rarely spend time around the living room nowadays (unless I'm watching a movie.) Would rather (edit: get it for PC and) play it at my desk.

feel

For those that don't mind supporting a bad pc port with their money, there's an easy-to-use godlike mod that fixes everything.

It's an amazing ride like nothing else in gaming. <3

hamchan

Which says a lot about how good the actual game is.

Yoko Taro and the team at Platinum deserves it. Square Enix not so much with the lack of patches.

I'm still thinking about this game months after finishing. Damn it's good.

Jawmuncher

The craziest thing is this games legs. It's still going and has now even outsold RE7. Nier outselling RE on any platform is crazy.

taybul

What's the issue exactly with Nier on PC? Performance? Crashes? I have a PS4 Pro, but I rarely spend time around the living room nowadays (unless I'm watching a movie.) Would rather (edit: get it for PC and) play it at my desk.

At least for me aspect ratio in full screen is 4:3.

Shifty1897

I'm sitting here with a $60 Steam credit, ready to buy once it's patched.

I said the same thing about Tales of Berseria and kept by word, let's do this Platinum/SE.

ZoddGutts

Now let Yoko Taro direct FF XVI.

Don't think he'll direct a mainline FF game, too much restriction on what they'll let him do. A side thing like FF-0/Tactics would make more sense, he'll have more freedom, seeing how FF-0 got pretty dark they could let him on the loose on what he wants to do.

KTallguy

Banned
I'd try to stick with Hard if you can. You probably just need a few HP and/or damage reduction mods if you're getting killed in one shot. Don't forget to use your items either.

Man, I've been trying, but I had to bump it down for Eve. Basically any one of his attacks one shotted me. I got trapped in that combat at level 16. Anyone slightly higher than my level takes forever to kill.

Maybe I'll try some more... but it seems like hard is just a damage scaler, no AI difference. Which is fine, but I feel like all it does is increase the playtime at this point.

This pleases me so much being one of those people on the ground floor of Nier trying to convince every gamer I come across to play it. then the miracle sequel comes out and people recognize the greatness that is Yoko Taro.

Cels

So are they actually going to patch this game? It's on my wishlist but I'm not paying them for a busted port.

Yes...they said they are working on the patch just recently.

I am gonna be honest I wish people would stop saying that a patch is coming. The article people are referencing is this one:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...mgames-is-working-on-a-nier-automata-pc-patch

The statement from Square Enix is SUPER vague and honestly just sounds like they are telling AMD/NVIDIA to fix whatever they can themselves (like AMD fixed crashes that were happening via a driver update). Like, I think the game still white screens on some pieces of NVIDIA hardware - maybe that will get fixed driver side but I doubt the executable will ever get updated again to fix issues like the fullscreen not working correctly / resolution issues / performance.

Freddo

I am probably the only one on whose machine it ran flawless but I just didn't like the game. I found the world bland and the combat repetitive.
Same, and I'm someone who love the first NieR and consider it to be the best game of the PS3/360 generation, go figure.

iHaunter

And is still broken...

A bit silly we have to use mods after so long of being on sale for PC IMHO.

I love the game but they need to support it...

Top Bottom