• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei says Nintendo about to unveil its approach to mobile development [Update]

That's...actually quite a sensible compromise. You reach hundreds of millions of gamers who would otherwise never sample your game unless they were chancing by at a Best Buy/Gamestop, and if the demo is compelling they may want to try the real thing. Failing that, you at least pinched the 99c off of them, right?

Knowing King, they'll name it "Mario Saga" and go after Nintendo for trademark infringement.
images

Scum

Come on, Iwata. Get Stump to agree with you on something moving forward and you'll know you're doing it right. 😮

Well there's one positive that could come from this.

Nintendo will have first hand knowledge on how to make new content for a different device as a 3rd party. Hopefully the process for getting their products on the App Store will influence Nintendo's own processes relating to 3rd party developers.
Nintendo is practically a pure video games company. If they don't have enough appreciation for what third party developers have been doing for three decades then nothing except a complete corporate u-turn will change that.

ironcreed

Banned
Demos and ads are not going to make people run out to buy the Wii U. It will only have people scratching their heads wondering why they can't play the full game on their phone or tablet. Not that I want to see them go to phones and tablets, but this is still a failure waiting to happen. The Wii crowd is not coming back.

TreIII

So the idea is to reach more potential buyers by advertising and stuff on mobile devices. ok. That's a start I guess. I would like more of a companion app for Nintendo games. We have our phones on us/next to us though out most of the day. They should try to take advantage of that aspect.

I wouldn't mind that. I mean, I think things like a "Pokewalker" app would be the kind of thing that could serve well as a good supplement for a 3DS PKMN game. I can't take my 3DS with me to my 9-5, but my phone's with me all day.

You can even give those who don't have a 3DS/Pokémon game a taste by giving them "trial/rentals" to play with.

AzaK

Yeah, still I think Nintendo should dabble in making a few titles for mobile that are well suited for the platform. Stuff like RT and Kirby Canvas Curse would work well as well as light puzzle games.

I don't disagree that they should do a few complete games tailored especially to those platforms but with enticements to move to 3DS or Wii U. The problem with coming up with an idea is that the 3DS is a small portable game player too and so you run the risk of people not wanting to buy a 3DS game because they can get a touch game on their smartphone.

$100 says it'll still be behind the times.
Seriously, I have no faith in Nintendo.

What do you consider to be "with the times"? It will be different to what everyone else tries to do that's probably the only thing we can be sure of.

Jackano

It is going to be an overlooked megaton. So called game journalists and tech journalists from mainstream media will report this as Nintendo releasing Mario games for mobiles.

And with their talentous marketing/communication guys who decided on the Wii U naming noticably, their are going to confuse smartphone owners (i.e. everyone), letting them to believe that this Mario mini-game on iOS is actually the latest installement in the main Mario series.

SmokyDave

If they do make mini games with the intention of drawing purchasers to the full fat versions on their own hardware, I'm going to disappear up my own arse in a furiously smug vortex.

Right after I dig up my years old posts where I suggested they do exactly that.

soultron

Banned
I don't disagree that they should do a few complete games tailored especially to those platforms but with enticements to move to 3DS or Wii U. The problem with coming up with an idea is that the 3DS is a small portable game player too and so you run the risk of people not wanting to buy a 3DS game because they can get a touch game on their smartphone.

Touch devices and 3DS are fundamentally separated (out of the box, peripherals notwithstanding) by their input methods. I mean this in the sense that touch devices typically have better touch support (multitouch being a big deal) and 3DS has dedicated buttons in addition to basic touch functionality.

Nintendo IP X could have games made for both platforms without necessarily taking away from either version. As long as they're built for the strengths of each platform (and with the quality we expect of Nintendo), what's the issue? Nintendo making even more money?

The biggest hurdle for Nintendo now is how exactly to fit the money printing apparatus into a mobile device and/or tablet. Tablets typically have more room, so that should be easy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Advertising apps and demos don't seem like they'll be too successful. The demos would probably not drive sales much since it requires purchase of other hardware instead of just being a standalone mobile game.

Nintendo ought to take one B-list franchise, banish it to smartphones forevermore, and see how much money they make. I nominate Kirby.

I don't really believe they should do this, but I'd like to see what happens if they did.

those mini games in super mario 64 ds were pretty fun

those could easily be 99¢ each on phones I'd buy that mole tapping game, I loved that game B^)

Kosma

Banned
Demos and ads are not going to make people run out to buy the Wii U. It will only have people scratching their heads wondering why they can't play the full game on their phone or tablet. Not that I want to see them go to phones and tablets, but this is still a failure waiting to happen. The Wii crowd is not coming back.

I dont know what they are thinking, they wont convert shit, people will just download the next game and play that, not run out to buy a 300 euro console.

j-wood

So Nintendo think that they need to leverage mobile phones by creating apps that show advertisements for their games?

Now I'm in the camp that I don't think and don't want Nintendo games on my phone.

But are they really this fucking stupid? People get this information already Nintendo. It's a crazy thing called websites.

You know, sites that basically advertise and show trailers for games. Oh, you didn't know these existed? Ugh

Anth0ny

Nintendo IP X could have games made for both platforms without necessarily taking away from either version. As long as they're built for the strengths of each platform (and with the quality we expect of Nintendo), what's the issue? Nintendo making even more money?

The issue is no one would buy $39 Pokemon and $180 3DS if they could get 99 cent Pokemon for their phone or tablet.

That is the situation Nintendo is trying to avoid. They are very much losing money in that case.

I don't expect that this sort of approach will appease investors or materially change their financial fortunes.

It seems to strain credulity to believe that Nintendo's business is fundamentally sound, they just don't do a good enough job making people aware that they're releasing games. That's what this strategy says. It says that the 3DS and the Wii U are both good products which will succeed, but no one watches our ads so we just need to put our ads on mobile phones. The "demo" approach also assumes that Nintendo's games and franchises are appealing enough to make people want to buy hardware, if only they get a taste of the games. I don't believe this is the case, and I think it's obvious how it's not. Right, like the hubbub of last week wasn't "wow, no one is buying Nintendo stuff because they forgot that it exists". You have to assume that the massive miss on both 3DS and Wii U expectations was the result of some root issue in terms of demand.

Nintendo did very well with the DS and the Wii because they identified that the barriers to gaming are too high, and so making easy-to-get into compelling experiences for everyone (expanding demographics) at a fair price was a good strategy for success. So, what are the pillars of that strategy? Attract people who don't game much or have never gamed before. Give them something that is interesting and accessible. Make it easy, get rid of barriers. If you close your eyes and try to picture which platforms enable those goals best today, the answer is not Nintendo platforms. To the extent that controls got in the way before and that's why the touch screen and motion controls were a success, now Nintendo's controls get in the way of a pure touch interface. To the extent that higher software prices got in the way of PS360 success, now Nintendo platforms are competing against lower priced software. To the extent that hardware prices got in the way of PS360 and PSP last generation, now with mobile subsidies Nintendo's hardware is as expensive or more.

Let's take the 3DS. Brain Age was an enormous hit in Japan and Worldwide for Nintendo. The franchise has 100% evaporated. It isn't because no one has heard of Brain Age anymore. It's because no one is interested in buying hardware in order to spend $30+ on a game they already got their fill of. That market has entirely left. And this expands to things like pet simulators, puzzle games, all sorts of pick up and play stuff. Nintendo does an incredibly good job making the kind of software you want to pick at for 5-10 minutes a day. That's a very lucrative market. But the market for that kind of software is gone and not coming back. Now that people are carrying smartphones, a dedicated device is overhead in both the personal and financial senses. On your phone you can boot up a game in seconds and switch to another. The 3DS by comparison is not very well geared towards multitasking. On your phone you can download something no matter where you are. The 3DS requires wifi. On your phone you can instantly purchase, download, update, delete your games. You can also purchase additional content or items. The spirit of Nintendo's idea of making games accessible to everyone is now most clearly articulated in mobile gaming. Now, you and I might omg hate that garbag casual gam, just make 9 new fire emblem!!!! so beast mode!!! but ultimately that was a large part of Nintendo's success. It made them a ton of their licensing fees as third parties pursued it, it moved hardware, and the software was cheap to develop and generated massive amounts of revenue. So anything that looks at that problem and says it's a perception problem, not a product problem, I think is misunderstanding why both development support and user demand has shrank.

And that's just gaming software. There's also the utility factor. People keep repeating the argument that no one buys a mobile phone for games. That's, in fact, the secret to the success of mobile phones as gaming platforms. If people aren't in the mood to buy hardware for games, and instead look at games as one of many things they can occupy their time with, then devices where there are many options to occupy your time with are a better buy.

I think that if Nintendo's response to a drastic earnings and projection miss is to announce that they're planning on doing exactly what they said they were always planning on doing -- learning to use smartphones to advertise their games to lure people back to their hardware -- investors are going to find that a very unsatisfactory solution to their woes. I don't think investors think that's the problem. I don't think investors think that will restore earnings to the place they should be. I don't think investors will rally behind the stock with that kind of announcement.

And I don't think customers will feel differently. Because I don't think the problem is advertising. So great, a kid plays the Mario app and gets to the end and it says "Want more Mario? Buy a 3DS". If you want more Angry Birds, just press a few buttons. Is Angry Birds as good as Mario? No, but quality was never the problem to begin with, so it's time to start being able to recognize with the problem is and work on that instead.

Trying to come up with a solution means figuring out what problem you're trying to solve. These solutions indicate that Nintendo thinks there isn't really a structural problem. It's just a temporary thing. Release some good games and target advertising better and they'll turn the corner. I just don't see it that way.

I hope that along with this announcement, Nintendo wisely announces a change in focus in terms of the type of software they announce and looking in to software value perception (instead of perversely saying "Next quarter we will release games to make customers realize value! Sorry that this quarter our games were not highly valued by customers!"). Making software more accessible, cheaper, easier to buy, and easier to play would be great. It would be a step. I'm not convinced it would solve the problems, but I think it would at least suggest that they recognize what the problem is.
Nice post. I see where you are coming from, but I don't believe this is the long term plan. In additional to his comments about smartphones, Iwata displayed skepticism towards their traditional ways on handling software and hardware. The effects of those feelings may be a ways off from being shown, but I hope that we will at least get a better picture on what to expect.

Kosma

Banned
The issue is no one would buy $39 Pokemon and $180 3DS if they could get 99 cent Pokemon for their phone or tablet.

That is the situation Nintendo is trying to avoid. They are very much losing money in that case.

Square has shown people will pay premium prices for their games.

Nintendo would get away with 39 euro pokemon.

Might as well do Pokemon Puzzle Adventure or something. Make it free with a wallet raping IAP. Doesn't step on the 3DS' toes and would have appropriate gameplay for smart phone input.

Millions. Hire me.

maxcriden

They're right. I came to the same conclusion. The Nikkei article clearly states mini-games, not demos.

This should be in the OP then, as it seems many of the posts are based on a misconception about Nintendo offering demos on mobile devices.

They should pay someone else to do this (and hopefully they are). Their teams aren't able to properly support their systems already.

ash_ag

Nintendo ought to take one B-list franchise, banish it to smartphones forevermore, and see how much money they make. I nominate Kirby.

I don't really believe they should do this, but I'd like to see what happens if they did.

It's actually applicable for certain cases. Kirby is an important asset with a loyal fanbase, but Ice Climber? The IP has much recognition thanks to Smash, but Nintendo has yet to do anything with it. A low-budget, so called "mini-game" with a fun formula based on the IP would be an interesting experiment -- one that could potentially lead to a more grant project.

Granted, I'm not quite sure how sustainable a simplistic franchise like Ice Climber is (especially when it comes to this newly established, super-controlled Nintendo mobile space) , but that's why it would be an experiment. Generally, an IP starting on mobile and extending into consoles would be an interesting experiment.

Jackano

So mini-games also acting as compagnion apps for the "main" game on 3DS/Wii U maybe?
What will be the role of Miiverse in all of this?

Mattias

Banned
So Nintendo think that they need to leverage mobile phones by creating apps that show advertisements for their games?

Now I'm in the camp that I don't think and don't want Nintendo games on my phone.

But are they really this fucking stupid? People get this information already Nintendo. It's a crazy thing called websites.

You know, sites that basically advertise and show trailers for games. Oh, you didn't know these existed? Ugh

Yes they are this stupid. If they think they can save Wii U by doing this then they are truly fucked. It wont make any differance at all.
Nintendo is completly lost.
They are probalby going to sit on their asses doing nothing even as Sony releases their Playstation Now on Android and IOS. It will happen. Its a too big market to ignore.

So, this is basically what I've been expecting (not in the least because it's basically what Nintendo has been implying for months now, but you can't expect everyone to pay attention). It's just curious to see the reaction here compared to Sony's cross-promotional free game with Coke, or Pepsi, or whatever soda it was. I was doubted for saying that that game would be useless at promoting Sony franchises to non-fans and was told by several members that as it was free it was very likely to be downloaded a lot by casuals and give people a taste of Sony characters and encourage them onto Sony hardware.

Although obviously different members are involved here, it's interesting to see that the majority opinion appears to be that this would not work in Nintendo's case.

For example, Cracked and Buzzfeed both have apps and effectively all they do is deliver content that is available on their website to people. I don't understand your anger.

WolvenOne

Basically.

Nintendo is going to put advertising onto smartphone, that is disguised as free games.

That's actually quite ingenious.

Sandfox

Yes they are this stupid. If they think they can save Wii U by doing this then they are truly fucked. It wont make any differance at all.
Nintendo is completly lost.
They are probalby going to sit on their asses doing nothing even as Sony releases their Playstation Now on Android and IOS. It will happen. Its a too big market to ignore.

I really doubt they think this will save the Wii U and people aren't going to be streaming playstation now games on the go so its probably not going to be that big of a threat to anything on a mobile platform.

Square has shown people will pay premium prices for their games.

Nintendo would get away with 39 euro pokemon.

No mobile gamer would pay that much when they are used to free/extremely cheap games.

If they do make mini games with the intention of drawing purchasers to the full fat versions on their own hardware, I'm going to disappear up my own arse in a furiously smug vortex.

It really seems like the best course of action. Assuming they don't fumble the communication here, it can definitely increase their visibility in a positive manner.

Scum

NES Remixes, ahoy!

While I will be quite concerned if this is the entirety of Iwata's "new business strategy" detailed on the 30th, I too, am a bit puzzled by some of the reactions on here. This is not a megaton, but it is a good move that, candidly speaking, should have happened alot sooner. It is also completely expected, given recent exec comments. Alot more has to happen before Nintendo abandons their hardware and fully backs mobile.

soultron

Banned

Nintendo would be foolish to sell a fully-featured Pokemon on mobile while the 3DS still exists. If that's what you're suggesting? Also, anyone with an emulator who wants to play Pokemon on their smartphone is already doing so. (Legally or not. I am not suggesting anything illegal here, though.)

Any mobile approach Nintendo wants to take should focus on smaller, shorter experiences that don't cannibalize their console content. Any of these smaller apps are going to be gateways/advertising to introduce prospective players to IPs they can get fuller experiences from on Nintendo consoles.

Think Ubisoft and Rayman Legends/Origins versus Rayman Jungle Run. The mainline console games are much larger experiences, meant to be played with a controller, longer sessions, and so on. Jungle Run is a game with a streamlined control scheme, limited player choice, and can be enjoyed in smaller time frames.

Maybe there's someone out there who got Rayman on their iPhone and then later (because they played Jungle Run) bought Legends. Maybe they wouldn't have done this with prior exposure to the brand. It's this type of #transmedia #brandsynergy that publishers are chasing right now.

So, this is basically what I've been expecting (not in the least because it's basically what Nintendo has been implying for months now, but you can't expect everyone to pay attention). It's just curious to see the reaction here compared to Sony's cross-promotional free game with Coke, or Pepsi, or whatever soda it was. I was doubted for saying that that game would be useless at promoting Sony franchises to non-fans and was told by several members that as it was free it was very likely to be downloaded a lot by casuals and give people a taste of Sony characters and encourage them onto Sony hardware.

Although obviously different members are involved here, it's interesting to see that the majority opinion appears to be that this would not work in Nintendo's case.

While I doubt that PSASI was a huge success, the crucial difference is that Sony actually has desirable consoles to promote and Nintendo doesn't.

Kosma

Banned
No mobile gamer would pay that much when they are used to free/extremely cheap games.

Except they are willing to pay premium as Square has shown. As Xcom has shown.

Also dont forget that Nintendo wont only target mobile gamers, but lapsed Nintendo fans that just arent willing to spend money on a Nintendo platform anymore, but still would buy the games.

I'm a lifelong fan of Nintendo, buy every system that make, and love my Wii U...

But I'm literally expecting an app that let's you watch the trailers from Nintendo Directs at most.

While I doubt that PSASI was a huge success, the crucial difference is that Sony actually has desirable consoles to promote and Nintendo doesn't.

Hey, at least this gives them time to figure out the logistics of the app store and such. Would you rather they wait until a console launch to roll this out and then blow the execution?

rpmurphy

Touch devices and 3DS are fundamentally separated (out of the box, peripherals notwithstanding) by their input methods. I mean this in the sense that touch devices typically have better touch support (multitouch being a big deal) and 3DS has dedicated buttons in addition to basic touch functionality.

The biggest hurdle for Nintendo now is how exactly to fit the money printing apparatus into a mobile device and/or tablet. Tablets typically have more room, so that should be easy.
Fundamentally, I think that the mobile platform serves as an eater of traditional game sales because of its appeal of the freemium and ad-driven pricing model. Why is it that even within their own platforms, developers rarely produce both options (freemium and full course) for consumers to choose from? Even as of late, ad-free download options have diminished for apps in general, compared to a few years ago.

Even though people here are vocal about controls as the differentiator for the platforms, I think that is overblown when it comes to the mass market. As mass adoption of touch-based devices continues, traditional inputs gain less and less exposure to new users and eventually become the niche market. And people largely won't care. Consider the physical keyboard for smartphones: where are they now compared to 2010?

Fate is heavily set for dedicated handhelds to become an expensive, specialized product for a niche market. Changing that fate or somehow creating a synergetic solution is going to be a difficult challenge.

Top Bottom