• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei says Nintendo about to unveil its approach to mobile development [Update]

javac

This year is going to a non-stop Ragnarök for those that want NIntendo to remain as they are. Best to roll with it and enjoy the fireworks:

iewTSWZpls6XV.gif

The mobile threat is very real, and all eyes will be on Iwata as to what his final attempt at a route map will be for the company at the end of this week.

And the thing is it's not even a bad thing. Nintendo surviving is paramount here. Anything that helps drive sales for a company we all know and love is a good thing. It doesn't mean the next Pokemon is going to be on mobile but a companion app and whatnot? Or a Pokemon Tamagotchi app/Pokewalker app that helps advertising the game, gets people introduced to such IP and drives hardware/software sales? Why not.

Zabant

Do you like current Nintendo games? That's what I mean now

Very much so.

Crappy mobile advertisement games designed only for the purpose of getting people to buy a DS or Wii U sounds god awful.

I already don't enjoy playing games on a cell phone (tiny screen, no buttons) as it is.

It's just a bit sad to know i'll probably want nothing to do with a first party made Nintendo game. That's never really happened to me before.

Paskil

Gameboy Camera phone app, incoming. Put out a mini-usb printer with that amazing sticker paper and you'll win the war, Ninty.

Cbajd5

You will get those three minigames from Pokemons X & Y for mobile and you will like it.

Actually a Pokemon-Amie app connected to your NNID/Pokemon Bank account wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Playing with the Pokemon you have in Pokemon Bank and such.

And if you don't have Pokemon Bank you can play with a rental Pokemon.

Who will never love you.

You terrible person.

Sounds about right - it should have as much actual game content and playability as going to the official website for a game.

It actually makes more sense to build a "Super Mario 3D World" app that tells you about the game and has the characters move around or a sliding block puzzle or something than to spend money doing a similar website to promote the game.

Basically just like this http://supermario3dworld.nintendo.com/

Is what you get when you search for Super Mario 3D World on google, you should get an app with similar content and information when you search for the game's title on the app store or google play store. Easy.

sphagnum

Banned
I'm guessing a lot of people in this thread haven't been reading the thread about Iwata talking about a new business strategy? Nothing here sounds particularly surprising...

oti

Banned
Great. Nintendo should have started even earlier with this. Match-3-F2P Animal Crossing Spin-off, done. Advertisement for 3DS game, brand gets attention, development costs not that high.

B.O.O.M

Sounds like they are doing what Sony is doing with some of their games nowadays..releasing a small app/game on mobile for marketing purposes

Just out of curiosity, why a smart phone? Unless you want an inferior product, because there is no way they are going to compete with the likes of Apple, Samsung, HTC and forth. And their unique selling point would be their games, like a 3DS... No man, a smart phone is doomed from the start if you ask me.

A smartphone or a super impressive new type of gadget, whatever happens first. The 3DS is an "inferior" product if you compare it to the Vita and that didnt stop it from dominating the handheld market. And they dont have to do it all by themselves, they could make it run on Android.

JoeM86

I honestly can't see mobile demos of console games actually working. It wouldn't drive people to the consoles, it'd make them not want to try it because controls on mobile platforms are just awful.

Nintendo cannot put out marketing tools or demos and expect to show any positive results from it. If they want to make money from mobile, they'll need to put effort into mobile and not expect those users to follow them to a different device. They won't.

Very much so.

Crappy mobile advertisement games designed only for the purpose of getting people to buy a DS or Wii U sounds god awful.

I already don't enjoy playing games on a cell phone (tiny screen, no buttons) as it is.

It's just a bit sad to know i'll probably want nothing to do with a first party made Nintendo game. That's never really happened to me before.

Its not like Nintendo is going to stop or slow down developing games for the their platforms with this move. These are going to be small apps to advertise the existence of released/upcoming games for Nintendo consoles.

We are still going to get plenty of quality 1st party games, so we can just ignore the mobile apps and continue to enjoy Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles.

Nintendo cannot put out marketing tools or demos and expect to show any positive results from it. If they want to make money from mobile, they'll need to put effort into mobile and not expect those users to follow them to a different device. They won't.

The point of this move isn't to make money on mobile though. It is to create awareness for Nintendo products to make more money from Nintendo software/hardware.

It's called advertising.

Something that people said Nintendo doesn't do.

Not saying it will work wonders but it's advertising.

javac

I honestly can't see mobile demos of console games actually working. It wouldn't drive people to the consoles, it'd make them not want to because controls on mobile platforms are just awful.

That's why they need games that take advantage of Nintendo's IP but in a way that works for mobile. Sounds weird but a Miiverse app, maybe a pokewalker type thing that works with Pokemon, a Wii Fit companion app etc. Sounds like blasphemy to us but it doesn't hurt the main games but advertises them in an interactive way. Maybe a promo. Install this app and get X amount off Wii Fit in the eShop etc. Who knows.

Log4Girlz

They should create F2P titles with new IP's. With their know-how they should be able to eventually create a break out hit. Let the cash flow in. Sell the retail version on your handheld (that Puzzle Dragon game is doing great on 3DS).

Meier

This stuff is pointless. 100%. What they need to do is take an aggressive approach to offering complimentary apps that are not exorbitantly priced. And they need to advertise that fact.

There is apparently an official Pokedex app but I had no clue about it. Make it prevalent. $5 (at MOST, $2.99 is ideal) should give me info on every Pokemon ever released. The app they have is apparently something like $7 for extra regions. No one is going to spend that. Ever. It's pointless.

They need to let you login with your account and have the Pokedex reflect your up to date Pokemon as well via the Pokemon.com account. Things like this will sell copies. Something with trailers in it will never make any money.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yeah I don't think that's going to work for them with investors haha.

If Iwata is really going to stand up and produce an app that just shows trailers of videogames on Thurs/Fri, I hope not one investor takes it seriously as any kind of strategy.

"They just couldnt find this stuff on YouTube, so we've made our own app!!"

No "please allow a quarter to see if it has any effect!" just straight up "if this is all you've got, get out".

Gannd

Banned
They are already on a dire situation, and if smartphone gaming continues to cannibalize 3DS sales in Japan, it will only get worse. Time for a third pillar, an all-or-nothing risky investment!

You don't know what you're talking about. They are not in a "dire situation" whatever that means.

Dr. Buni

Wouldn't replacing Iwata just make the next president more than likely to make Nintendo games on the iOS?
Yep.

Anyway, as long as Nintendo doesn't start making proper games for mobile, it is fine. Their games must stay on the 3DS and Wii U only.

Goli

This year is going to a non-stop Ragnarök for those that want NIntendo to remain as they are. Best to roll with it and enjoy the fireworks:

iewTSWZpls6XV.gif

The mobile threat is very real, and all eyes will be on Iwata as to what his final attempt at a route map will be for the company at the end of this week.

I agree, but I'd change that from "Nintendo" to "the gaming industry."

probably already said but I still got a feeling NES games on phones/tablets is coming

ice climbers for $1.99, cheaper then wii / Wii u vc D:

do it iwata

To be more concrete, The Nikkei writes that Nintendo wants to use smartphones to expand its potential user base by spreading information about new game releases, i.e. by using video to introduce future titles. (This will probably happen through some kind of official Nintendo app.)

In addition, Nintendo is said to be planning to put so-called “mini games” on smartphones, playable demos of console games – content that can only be purchased in full on Nintendo hardware.

Just doesn't seem like a good idea at all. When I think of my friends who have long since moved away from Nintendo, this is not going to do anything to get them back or interested again.

Goddamnit just make Wario Ware on ios/android. Let people share leaderboards. Make a couple bazzillion dollars.

A Nintendo Channel app for iOS/Android would be cool.

Versions of certain games/minigames that would get people playing/talking about Nintendo and direct them to buy/play Wii U/3DS would also be cool (Dr. Luigi? Pokedex 3D? A bite-sized Pilotwings flight minigame? A port of Planet Puzzle League? Yoshi/Yoshi's Cookie?).

After that, no way.

Nikkei is never wrong with this stuff, basically controlled leak.

And woefully insufficient.

Well it's a start. It won't be enough to turn things around, but remember this is something very new for Nintendo, it's going to take some time before we see full games for sale.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Crazy idea - Instead of bringing Nintendo games to Android phones, what about bringing Android to Nintendo hardware? Effectively a Nintendo dedicated handheld or console which can run Android apps - or an Ouya with better first party software.

oti

Banned
Just being represented with an official App in the App Store would be the first big step that needs to happen. Nintendo won't set the Mobile world on fire at first, that shift in how to approach things, the company's culture, will take a long time (if the management stays intact with no fundamental personal changes). Baby-steps.

Top Bottom