• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei says Nintendo about to unveil its approach to mobile development [Update]

It's good that they're starting small with demos.

Nintendo handheld developers will need practice working on devices with a proper resolution, capacitive screens, and a decent amount of RAM.

Plus, they won't even have to stress about good gameplay.

Seems an ideal situation.

its actually pretty smart, a demo like Bravely Default that unlocks items for the full game coming 2014 on your 3DS.

I mean its gets them into the space while still supporting their own hardware.

MercuryLS

Banned
This is not going to work. People gaming on phones and tablets want to see their games on those devices, they're not going to go out and buy Nintendo hardware because they put some videos and a small flash-like game inside some Nintendo app. Stupid.

Goli

Applause.

I wonder if their plan is to do something like what Square Enix is doing with the Dragon Quest Portal application, which you need to boot up in order to play Dragon Quest on your phone, and when you boot it up a "what's new" section appears showing all the latest news regarding Dragon Quest, as well as having direct purchase links to some of the other Dragon Quest they've released so far on the app store, like Dragon Quest VIII. Although Dragon Quest VIII is its own separate app, presumably some other DQ games will require the DQ Portal app to launch in the future.
Nintendo could release a "Nintendo Portal" app with mini games that unlocked or somehow interacted with full games on 3DS by unlocking things and such, and also use that to market their games.

NSider

A lot of GAF threads lately have been full of people who reply with a hasty and misinformed opinion, just for the sake of getting in the first page. They obviously don't bother reading the OP in full, even when it's not exactly a wall of text. This is one such thread.

I hope Nikkei is right about this. Then again, as mentioned in this thread, Reggie hinted at this before.

I just hope that they make good, high quality apps if they do. I doubt that they will.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
If it's so despised, why do people keep downloading ad-supported free apps?

Because you can get adblock for rooted phones.

...Yeah, there are already so many advertising apps on iOS / Android. I seriously don't understand why people don't accept such an approach from Nintendo.

protip: What I'm saying is related to only their mobile approach, NOT what they should do overall, which (hopefully) doesn't result in just this kind of mobile approach, but in changes in games pricing as well, just to say an example.

Sure - having an eshop that's a lot more palatable to the smartphone user used to low prices is smart as well.

Sony and Microsoft both have similar presences in the app store that basically advertise their systems and games. Why is nintendo different in that they're leaving all this money on the table and failing and making stupid decisions? Why is only Nintendo expected to shift heavily into mobile games?

Nintendo handheld developers will need practice working on devices with a proper resolution, capacitive screens, and a decent amount of RAM.

At least they already have the advantage over Samgsung and Apple in resistance to accidental drops with that Nintendium formula.

rpmurphy

No it's not. It's the worst idea since putting all their gaming news in Nintendo Directs. The only people that will download that app are Nintendo fans. Noone else gives a shit about videos of Nintendo games. It's still keeping them insulated in their own bubble.
Gaming news sites also still exist and they report on stuff revealed in Nintendo Directs. What is your point?

Neiteio

its actually pretty smart, a demo like Bravely Default that unlocks items for the full game coming 2014 on your 3DS.

I mean its gets them into the space while still supporting their own hardware.
Yeah, I think free demos on iOS could work well.

But the demos have to be strong.

They should get Arzest to lead the charge. They're quite accomplished at making complete trash.

At the very least, I think Nintendo should put all of their Touch Generations games on mobile devices. The audience for those games has clearly shifted to those devices, and they don't have a real reason not to.

This is not going to work. People gaming on phones and tablets want to see their games on those devices, they're not going to go out and buy Nintendo hardware because they put some videos and a small flash-like game inside some Nintendo app. Stupid.

And people that want to see trailers for Nintendo games are going to use You Tube App or the web browser in their phone/tablet.

Why would your sister know/care if it's underpowered???

She wouldn't. I wouldn't either. But there are no fucking games on it man. That's why I, as an enthusiast, cannot justify buying the console and why my sister, as a casual weekend warrior, will never hear about the console from me and consider buying one.

And the strength of the hardware matters not because it sells the system, but because it gets developers interested. If Nintendo is going to produce first party games at a snail's pace then there needs to be third parties to fill out the library in the interim, but those third parties have no motivation to look at the WiiU because it's underpowered and it's install base is shit. Thus there are no games for the thing thus I won't buy it and won't talk about it favorably ect. ect. ect.

But someone might stumble upon whatever shitty advert app they put out and that's gonna solve all these issues, because...we don't know what else to do.

God forbid we produce some games or cultivate some respectable third party relations.

Gannd

Banned
What you're describing seems to better fit the Facebook approach to gaming, which is currently out of favour. Most of the top tier mobile hits these days have been franchised, sequelized, and built into merchandise tentpoles. Look at Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride, Temple Run, Cut the Rope, Angry Birds. Look at the longevity of Clash of Clans, or Puzzle & Dragons or Candy Crush Saga.

I think probably the last flavour of the week mobile success was probably Draw Something, which incidentally was bought by Zynga, the pioneer of the Facebook model. Zynga is currently nursing their wounds because their strategy has not worked very well at all in the mobile world. I think at this juncture they're moving towards gambling games as their primary product.

I still do not know (and I'm not sure if anybody does) if those brands are going to stand the tests of time. The industry is too young. I do know that they tend to hit big and pull in huge revenue and then fairly quickly, peak while the industry moves onto something else. Now, a lot of that is due to the mobile industry being so young and seeing so much growth.

I think certain genres from Nintendo could do very well in the mobile space and under the current restrictions to how games play. I don't think anybody will ever be able to get a decent platformer to work with touchbased controls that plays anything like that platformers I enjoy and grew up with. But, I think Nintendo would be able to create new games and brands that are built around the deficiencies of the mobile space. I think some of their brands would transition over very well. I just don't know if mobile gaming can support a premium price for a premium experience. I think the companies in that space have done a very good job trying to design games around getting money out of their audiences. I just don't like that business model.

Nintendo will never derive revenue in any meaningful way from the smartphone market anyway. Why invest more than a few thousand dollars of their marketing budget into it?

Going to where the kids are, which seems to be smart phones makes sense. Just like advertising on Saturday morning cartoons and early afternoon TV blocks did back in the 80s and 90s.

Nintendo even did cartoons themselves back then. I think that's very similar to what you will see here. Nintendo in the late 80s didn't strive to make money off their cartoon shows, they used them to drive kids to the NES and SNES.

Your first paragraph and second one are really butting heads.

You state that's where their consumer is. Why just advertise, why not sell? Unlike with cartoons in the 80s, it's asking those people to put down their devices that already play games and do it cheaply, as well as do hundreds of other things, to switch over to a uni-task device that only plays games and does it more expensively. It isn't happening. This approach to advertising would do little more than appease the already converted, you'd almost think they might as well advertise on Xbox Live and PSN. Heck, it might even have greater effect, since it's speaking to people already consuming software under Nintendo's desired business model.

Smart idea. Right now most of their potential customers are in the iOS ecosystem. The best way to reach that audience is to create limited content for that platform and give people just a little taste of that Nintendo magic. Just enough to make them want to eat the carrot, then yank it away and tell them that they can continue the experience if they get a 3DS/Wii U. Sounds bad when you put it that way, but is it really any different than feeding some free content to trap the player and then imposing micro transactions to continue the experience? They'd be using the App Store as an advertisement for their platforms.

I could see it working this way. Release a Super Mario 3D World app where you can play a couple short Captain Toad levels or, have the computer automatically play through a complete regular level and let the player control the GamePad touch screen functions. Use tutorials to show the controls, the cat suit in action, and 4 player co-op. Keep lowering and lowering that carrot until the demo stops and you are given a link to Nintendo's website where you can set up your own Miiverse account, get on their mailing lists, and see prices for the platform and the game.

I never understand why Nintendo, their audience, or even some people here over complicate what it would take for them to be successful.

You don't need a fucking mobile app, Nintendo. You need fucking games. GAMES? You know? The thing I would ostensibly buy your console for?

Wtf is a mobile app going to do for you? Your going to get my sister who spends all her time playing words with friends to pay attention to your under powered console which has no fucking games?

People talk about how the branding is bad for the WiiU, how the online infrastructure is bad, how the account system is stone-age, yada yada yada.

All these things are true but they are all completely secondary to the fact that the console has so few good games on it it's laughable. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why the console is failing. I'm lucky enough to have disposable income such that I frankly buy way more gaming related products than I can use, but even I can't justify buying a WiiU for just Mario and W101.

I have no idea how you take the mythic, all encompassing, iconic stable of Nintendo IPs and just just do fuck all with it. Just give up and resign yourself to the hellhole of mobile marketplaces instead of catering to an audience which has stayed with you since the beginning. Japanese publishers, man.

Nintendo games are made on hardware made from the ground-up to accommodate their games. They have full-feedback loop, and control the development, environment and quality from start to finish. If they made games on cellphones or other hardware, they just won't be Nintendo games, but will manage to cannibalize 3DS's (and WiiU's already struggling) market.

People that wanna play 1st-party Nintendo titles, should buy Nintendo hardware instead of demanding them to compromise their brand.

Somnid

What you're describing seems to better fit the Facebook approach to gaming, which is currently out of favour. Most of the top tier mobile hits these days have been franchised, sequelized, and built into merchandise tentpoles. Look at Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride, Temple Run, Cut the Rope, Angry Birds. Look at the longevity of Clash of Clans, or Puzzle & Dragons or Candy Crush Saga.

I think probably the last flavour of the week mobile success was probably Draw Something, which incidentally was bought by Zynga, the pioneer of the Facebook model. Zynga is currently nursing their wounds because their strategy has not worked very well at all in the mobile world. I think at this juncture they're moving towards gambling games as their primary product.

I don't think this invalides his thought though. It does seem like it's a one-and-done proposition but that the smart devs use models of ongoing support. Would Clash of Clans 2 be as successful? I don't know, mobile hasn't been around that long to cycle through a long-lived support game like that. Angry Birds is perhaps the only one I can think of that seems to have had successful, distinct sequels and it's a character based merchandising cow.

RaikuHebi

Banned

Reggie.gif

JoeM86

No it's not. It's the worst idea since putting all their gaming news in Nintendo Directs. The only people that will download that app are Nintendo fans. Noone else gives a shit about videos of Nintendo games. It's still keeping them insulated in their own bubble.

You do realise that if you just ignore the Directs, their news comes the same way as all other game news...press releases, exclusives on sites etc. Nintendo Direct just gives an extra avenue to give the news. It in no way removes the others.

I honestly don't get people who think the Directs insulate them. It adds to things, it doesn't take away. All conventional methods of disseminating information are still there and still fully utilised.

neoemonk

How I read this:
Nintendo are going to start making "games" I will not want to play.

This genuinely makes me glum

I agree this isn't great, but look at Wii U sales and it kind of seems like they are making games right now that lots of people don't want to play.

And people that want to see trailers for Nintendo games are going to use You Tube App or the web browser in their phone/tablet.

The difference is if a real "nintendo direct" app is at the top of the free apps on the app store and people just download it out of curiosity, that's real, excellent marketing and placement for their brands. Their free advertising app would surely be more popular than free games made for smartphones.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
The difference is if a real "nintendo direct" app is at the top of the free apps on the app store and people just download it out of curiosity, that's real, excellent marketing and placement for their brands. Their free advertising app would surely be more popular than free games made for smartphones.

:p

Neiteio

The full release of Pokémon XY, now on your smartphone!

...and it has a 15-use limit. Upgrade to 3DS and transfer your save now!

JoeM86

hey that's cool, more ads

so uhh

how's that new metroid coming along

Because Metroid will suddenly change the tide? Let's look at sales for the three Prime games:
Metroid Prime: 2 million
Metroid Prime 2: 800,000
Metroid Prime 3: 1.31 million

Yeah, a new Metroid game will totally change the Wii U's direction.

emb

Playable demos sound awful. It would basically amount to a proof of concept showing why the 'real thing' isn't needed. Or to look at it from the opposite perspective, show that real hardware controls are absolutely needed, and make Nintendo's games seem awful to mobile onlookers. Maybe they could be hyper-selective about which games get demos and make it kinda work though. Still, I can't think of many existing titles that don't rely on physical controls or the precision of a stylus.

I hope the part about video content is right though. I'd love for a Nintendo Direct/news/trailer App to get released in a few days, along with an accompanying Direct to kick things off.

You do realise that if you just ignore the Directs, their news comes the same way as all other game news...press releases, exclusives on sites etc. Nintendo Direct just gives an extra avenue to give the news. It in no way removes the others.

I honestly don't get people who think the Directs insulate them. It adds to things, it doesn't take away. All conventional methods of disseminating information are still there and still fully utilised.

Like when they decided not to do a press conference at e3 last year that all major media attends and has more eyeballs on the gaming industry than at any other time of the year and instead do a direct?

Gannd

Banned
I agree this isn't great, but look at Wii U sales and it kind of seems like they are making games right now that lots of people don't want to play.

I think that says more about the Wii U than the games themselves. I think the Wii built so much of their audience up on the casual gamers that are gone. THey are gone for Nintendo and gone for Microsoft and Sony.

Mario Kart Wii sold over 30 million copies. People want to play the brands. They just don't want the Wii U.

Top Bottom