• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms Metroid: Samus Returns’ Fusion mode can only be unlocked by amiibo

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I think my biggest issue with this is that more and more I'm starting to feel like one of the most appealing pitches of amiibo isn't really true

They said you would be able to reuse different amiibo to do different things in different games. And while yeah, theoretically you can, it's sort of made useless because every new game that has an interesting feature that amiibo requires is almost always used by a brand new amiibo that is specifically made for that one game and is never used again.

Like will this squishy Metroid amiibo ever be used to unlock something of any significance in a future game again? Probably not.

I think that's my biggest issue with amiibo and why the figures don't have the sort of long term value that when they were announced I thought they would have.

There are too many and constant releases of new ones that make older ones sort of obsolete really sucks. Or if they aren't made "obsolete" the things the older amiibo you bought for a different purpose if they can interact with a new game are sort of relegated to doing nothing interesting or remotely significant

I think 500k would be amazing for what it is.
Sure, but that's still ten times larger than my lowball.

I mean, people can do whatever they want with their money, buy it, don't buy it, I don't care what your reasoning is, but let's not pretend a NeoGAF started boycott is going to do anything serious (or even noticeable) to this game's sales.

VDenter

Banned
Sure, but that's still ten times larger than my lowball.

I mean, people can do whatever they want with their money, buy it, don't buy it, I don't care what your reasoning is, but let's not pretend a NeoGAF started boycott is going to do anything serious (or even noticeable) to this game's sales.

I dont think Neogaf is the only place on the net aware of this and that can make a decision based on this announcement on whether or not to buy the game.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I think my biggest issue with this is that more and more I'm starting to feel like one of the most appealing pitches of amiibo isn't really true

They said you would be able to reuse different amiibo to do different things in different games. And while yeah, theoretically you can, it's sort of made useless because every new game that has an interesting feature that amiibo requires is almost always used by a brand new amiibo that is specifically made for that one game and is never used again.

Like will this squishy Metroid amiibo ever be used to unlock something of any significance in a future game again? Probably not.

I think that's my biggest issue with amiibo and why the figures don't have the sort of long term value that when they were announced I thought they would have.

There are too many and constant releases of new ones that make older ones sort of obsolete really sucks.

I have to agree with this. I loved the Toon Link amiibo back in the day because it had the same functionality as normal Link without the horrible urine-stand.

jmizzal

I wont be buying the game becouse I dont have a 3DS but i'll be buying the Amiibo cuz it looks cool, and hope they have something nice for it to work with Metroid Prime 4.

This is the old Nintendo is damned if they do damned if they dont

Amiibo dont do anything people say its a cheap piece of plastic with not much use for games, Amiibo has a big feature people say Nintendo is locking content behind a cheap piece of plastic

Teletraan1

Banned
How often do game series do this? Identify the problem and return as opposed to just being shelved?

The gaming market isn't just some welfare office. It is up to the entity producing the good to figure that out and there are more avenues than ever to gauge feedback and interact with possible consumers. End users shouldn't have to pay so Nintendo can have some free market research.

Biske

What’s the difference between that and offering it only as paid DLC? Amiibos, especially these Metroid ones, are awesome.

I agree with this, but trying to buy physical goods available in limited quantities, scalped to hell, is kind of shitty.

I dont think Neogaf is the only place on the net aware of this and that can make a decision based on this announcement on whether or not to buy the game.
Unless it catches on with a bunch of high profile Youtube streamers like Mass Effect did I don't see any of it having a serious effect at all.

RRockman

Banned
Are you saying you were going to buy this amiibo but might not because of this, or that you might buy another amiibo that doesn't unlock anything instead or that you might still buy this amiibo but not because of this game?

Oh, and what was the dream?

Oh hullo. Well I definitely am going to buy the game. I have the limited edition pre-ordered. I'm not going to buy this games amiibo though. I really wanted the squishy metroid but I don't like the fact the goodies locked behind it. I also don't have the earlier metroid amiibos and wasn't intending on picking them up either. I actually buy the figures cause I like them too. My current favorite being Smash Cloud.

The dream is being able to unlock said goodies through gameplay. Which hasn't been denied just yet but is looking very unlikely.

Mivey

People always accuse Nintendo of being backwards and stuck in the past, but I think here they have done a wonderful effort in adapting some of the most disgusting practices of modern video game publishing. Commendable. If this doesn't impress EA, nothing will.

yuoke

Banned
I think 500k would be amazing for what it is.

500K? That would be by far the worst selling game in the series outside of federation force. If this can't get to a million, the series will absolutely be put on hiatus again, or at least 2d metroid for sure. 500K is very bad by 3ds standards, and even by metroid standards. I don't get how that's "amazing".

ZeoVGM

Banned
500K? That would be by far the worst selling game in the series outside of federation force. If this can't get to a million, the series will absolutely be put on hiatus again, or at least 2d metroid for sure. 500K is very bad by 3ds standards, and even by metroid standards. I don't get how that's "amazing".

It wouldn't be "amazing" at all but I don't think Nintendo is expecting this to be a million-seller.

We're not going to get another 2D Metroid for quite a while after this either way as Switch will be the only Nintendo console and it likely wouldn't happen until after Prime 4 is out.

It wouldn't be "amazing" at all but I don't think Nintendo is expecting this to be a million-seller.

We're not going to get another 2D Metroid for quite a while after this either way as Switch will be the only Nintendo console and it likely wouldn't happen until after Prime 4 is out.

Why would it have to be after Prime 4, exactly? 2D Metroid is done by a separate team. Fusion literally came out on the same day as Prime, and Zero Mission came out in the same year as Prime 2.

During the time frame that Prime 4 is being worked on, I think its possible Sakamoto and his gang could crank out another 2D Metroid for Switch.

Durante

People always accuse Nintendo of being backwards and stuck in the past, but I think here they have done a wonderful effort in adapting some of the most disgusting practices of modern video game publishing. Commendable. If this doesn't impress EA, nothing will.
I'd even argue that they lead the pack in the coveted "physical day-1 DLC" category.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Fuck Amiibos. I will never buy another one, nor will I buy any game that has any significant content locked behind them.

I was excited for Amiibo when they were first announced, too. Figurines with NFC and writeable memory? What kind of cool stuff could Nintendo do with them?

Turns out the answer is, use them as a way of getting people to spend way more then they ordinarily would for on-disc DLC.

The thing I don't get is that the game was never advertised as having these extra features in the first place, and people are canceling preorders because now it doesn't include features they were going to buy the game without anyway...

I mean, I'm probably not going to buy the Amiibos, and I'm going to enjoy the game as much as I planned to when they first announced it. Yes, it's kind of terrible that they didn't include these features for free, but it's far from a dealbreaker for me.

The thing I don't get is that the game was never advertised as having these extra features in the first place, and people are canceling preorders because now it doesn't include features they were going to buy the game without anyway...

I mean, I'm probably not going to buy the Amiibos, and I'm going to enjoy the game as much as I planned to when they first announced it. Yes, it's kind of terrible that they didn't include these features for free, but it's far from a dealbreaker for me.

Wow, hard mode, what an extra feature!

I mean Metroid Zero Mission had it 13 years ago but hey, if they announce it as amiibo DLC well before release then we should regard it as some glorious extra.

CuNi

Wow, hard mode, what an extra feature!

I mean Metroid Zero Mission had it 13 years ago but hey, if they announce it as amiibo DLC well before release then we should regard it as some glorious extra.

People still take it as a given that there's only 3 difficultys. What nobody apparently thought of is that easy medium and hard are in the game and that's a 4th difficulty. And no one of us even says " es thankful for getting this even as dlc!". We know it sucks. But I just fail to see why that's such a huge deal breaker. Like.. People canceling pre orders because they found out there's a limited tuned version of their car that has additional features.. Deal breaker! Bummer! Unprecedented.

Chill out, guys. Samus used to have lots of gigs as a bounty hunter, but lack of business lately, so needs to raise some extra monies via Amiibo and DLC unlocks.

$amus Aran

Ho ho ho

Camjo-Z

Yeah, Nintendo really needs to work towards including meaningful support for every single amiibo in all their first-party games. They do a decent job keeping things like Mario and Zelda amiibo relevant but something like the Chibi-Robo amiibo is basically worthless outside of Zip Lash. The official website claims it's compatible with over 20 games but in most of them it's treated as a generic figure that gives you some boring unlock like extra currency.

CuNi

Yeah, Nintendo really needs to work towards including meaningful support for every single amiibo in all their first-party games. They do a decent job keeping things like Mario and Zelda amiibo relevant but something like the Chibi-Robo amiibo is basically worthless outside of Zip Lash. The official website claims it's compatible with over 20 games but in most of them it's treated as a generic figure that gives you some boring unlock like extra currency.

Not wanting to sound mean, but just because you don't like it's functionality is not equal to not having one at all.

People here flame and hate because a difficulty is locked, now imagine what would happen if every amiibo would have something "non generic" in all games. You'd block 20% of stuff behind amiibos.

Eumi

People still take it as a given that there's only 3 difficultys. What nobody apparently thought of is that easy medium and hard are in the game and that's a 4th difficulty. And no one of us even says " es thankful for getting this even as dlc!". We know it sucks. But I just fail to see why that's such a huge deal breaker. Like.. People canceling pre orders because they found out there's a limited tuned version of their car that has additional features.. Deal breaker! Bummer! Unprecedented.
People don't want to support shitty practices.

OryoN

Question: At which point can Amiibo owners enjoy some extra perks without everyone else b!tching what is "locked" behind Amiibo?

For the record, I don't own a single Amiibo, but this attitude is somewhat annoying(much like port begging is annoying). I have yet to see any decent Amiibo content that people haven't cried about. So it's a genuine question. What are Amiibo owners allowed to have for their investment?! Nothing at all? Or just nothing worthwhile?

There are too many and constant releases of new ones that make older ones sort of obsolete really sucks. Or if they aren't made "obsolete" the things the older amiibo you bought for a different purpose if they can interact with a new game are sort of relegated to doing nothing interesting or remotely significant
Well said. Amiibos could have been a very cool addition to the games but in the end their use is way too limited. They could at least also let the old Metroid Amiibos unlock the new difficulty.

Ninja Dom

Question: At which point can Amiibo owners enjoy some extra perks without everyone else b!tching what is "locked" behind Amiibo?

For the record, I don't own a single Amiibo, but this attitude is somewhat annoying(much like port begging is annoying). I have yet to see any decent Amiibo content that people haven't cried about. So it's a genuine question. What are Amiibo owners allowed to have for their investment?! Nothing at all? Or just nothing worthwhile?

Interesting question.

Should people who buy both the game & matching Amiibo be rewarded?

Camjo-Z

Not wanting to sound mean, but just because you don't like it's functionality is not equal to not having one at all.

People here flame and hate because a difficulty is locked, now imagine what would happen if every amiibo would have something "non generic" in all games. You'd block 20% of stuff behind amiibos.

Ideally, the content only exists because the amiibo exists. For example, we definitely wouldn't have a Sonic costume in Mario Kart 8 if not for the Sonic amiibo, so nobody should have a problem with it. Amiibo content should feel like special extras that were put in specifically to add value to the figures, not bits of the core game held hostage to make extra cash.

Toxi

Banned
Chill out, guys. Samus used to have lots of gigs as a bounty hunter, but lack of business lately, so needs to raise some extra monies via Amiibo and DLC unlocks.

$amus Aran

Ho ho ho
I always had the head canon that Samus sells her powerups between games. Even in the games where she loses her powerups at the beginning, she's still missing most of her stuff from the last game.

Interesting question.

Should people who buy both the game & matching Amiibo be rewarded?
They can be rewarded, but that reward will always be seen as at the expense of people who just want the video game and not the crappy toys that Nintendo started selling to offset the massive failure of the Wii U. You have a right as an Amiibo purchaser to want more from that purchase, but the majority of gamers who have less than zero interest in toys to life features in their games also have a right to bitch and moan whenever something they perceive as meaningful content is locked behind plastic landfill fodder.

Garlador

I hope it's a hit. The last 2D Metroid we got was the brilliant Zero Mission, but not matter how much praise that received, it never cracked a million either.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Why would it have to be after Prime 4, exactly? 2D Metroid is done by a separate team. Fusion literally came out on the same day as Prime, and Zero Mission came out in the same year as Prime 2.

During the time frame that Prime 4 is being worked on, I think its possible Sakamoto and his gang could crank out another 2D Metroid for Switch.

Fusion/Prime and Zero Mission/Prime 2 were on two different consoles.

They're not going to release two mainline Metroid games on the same console in the same time period.

Cosmetics.

Counter question: Should people not complain about a hard mode being locked to Amiibos? Because that's what's the thread is about.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wonder due to backlash if Nintendo is going to put in a regular hard mode after the fact. Then people are going to act like it was the plan all the time.

yuoke

Banned
Fusion/Prime and Zero Mission/Prime 2 were on two different consoles.

They're not going to release two mainline Metroid games on the same console in the same time period.

Not the same period, but if prime theoretically came out late next year or early 2019, a new 2d switch game could come out in 2020.

I wonder due to backlash if Nintendo is going to put in a regular hard mode after the fact. Then people are going to act like it was the plan all the time.

Nintendo doesn't know there's any backlash right now, unless you think reggie is reading this thread.

Of course they will, not even a question when you look at this thread. People are being called out as stupid if they choose not to buy the game because of this. Folks who argue on that level aren't going to then turn around and thank people who complained. They'll double down.

PokéKong

This absolutely sums up the problem with them. I'm not gonna cry about these fun little bonus feature in Metroid that wont really matter, they are equivalent to the stuff you got for connecting Prime and Fusion back in the day, but it highlights the overarching issue with amiibo just how much you'll have to spend to get so little back out of this game.

This all could be a non-issue if they would ever use their heads and create one Skylanders-like franchise "The Amiibo Game" which works with them all.

hesido

Selling a difficulty mode as DLC is not something that I can get behind, but selling DLC with amiibos could work like this where it makes sense:
They could sell the DLC at amiibo price, without the amiibo, digitally.
AND
They could give away the DLC to the buyers of the amiibo, for free.

People not interested in amiibos could get the DLC without leaving their homes or waiting for the amiibo to be delivered for a few days, those who are interested in the amiibo one and people who think they'd be getting more bang for their money could go with the amiibo.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Selling a difficulty mode as DLC is not something that I can get behind, but selling DLC with amiibos could work like this where it makes sense:
They could sell the DLC at amiibo price, without the amiibo, digitally.
AND
They could give away the DLC to the buyers of the amiibo, for free.

People not interested in amiibos could get the DLC without leaving their homes or waiting for the amiibo to be delivered for a few days, those who are interested in the amiibo one and people who think they'd be getting more bang for their money could go with the amiibo.

$15 hard mode? No thanks.

This is probably the first time that Nintendo should release an official statement simply to confirm that the traditional unlockable "Hard" mode will still be in Samus Returns -as it was in the last several single-player Metroid titles- so this topic may be put to rest. They never should have mentioned the existence of a "Fusion" mode without detailing what it actually is.

That said, I haven't played a 3DS game in years and won't be buying this remake, but the squishy metroid amiibo is pretty cool. I hope enough of the knee-jerk reaction crowd are canceling their preorders that I might actually be able to find one.

Cels

what would be so bad for players if nintendo sold the DLC standalone without the amiibo? like for a fraction of what the statues cost.

BaconHat

Times like this i really wish Amiibo were figurines only and not Toys-to-life. Not sure if they would have sold as good, but at least we would evade these issues.

If they were doing another remake, sure. Metroid V would surely take a decent chunk of time, considering they've been working on Samus Returns for over two years.

Top Bottom