• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

Joqu

How hard would it be to implement some form of filtering for this? Heck even a post-processed one? Would go a long way for some of these games.

3-on-3 look pretty good.
mario3on3zhsim.png

tebunker

Banned
DS games not being offered in a virtual console type arrangement is just another area in which Nintendo is dropping the ball with the Wii U. There could be a flood of games from bygone systems and generations that I'd love to play on the Wii U right now, but Nintendo isn't putting in the work to make it happen. It's a damn shame.
You do know that they just recently announced this was happening right? I mean give them some time but it has only been 2 months since the announcement that we will see DS games on the WiiU VC.

WillyFive

You do know that they just recently announced this was happening right? I mean give them some time but it has only been 2 months since the announcement that we will see DS games on the WiiU VC.

That's the problem, this stuff should have been there day one. Just look at all the systems and games the Wii VC had on day one.

ethanny2

I liked it well enough. I put a couple hundred hours in to Phantasy Star Online, tried to get in to Phantasy Star Universe and couldn't stand it. Phantasy Star Zero is more like PSO than PSU, and I played it to the end of singleplayer.

Unfortunately me and my friends could never get our wifi set up properly to let us go questing online much, and all of the Nintendo Wifi Connection stuff is gonna be shut down soon anyway so it won't matter.

But as a singleplayer loot-based action RPG, it's enjoyable enough. A little bit repetitive, but I think that comes with the territory.

Edit: Actually, I wrote a more detailed review here, if you're interested.

Nice, thanks man. Might have to check it out

It's a shame that since DS games were designed with no texture filtering in mind, doing so kinda F's the games up a lot (same with PS1 games).

I'm say what others have said... DS games look like upscaled PS1 games... except less sucky because DS has sub-pixel precision.

Bravocado

Dunno. I watched an hour of Gran Turismo yesterday and it manages to push a lot more.

DS graphics always felt like a half point between GBA and PS1 sadly.

Eh, I always felt like it was somewhere between an N64 and a Dreamcast. I think there are more "impressive looking" games out there, I just can't think of any right now (so I may be full of it :p).

Damn, Metroid Prime Hunters actually looks pretty good outside of the (non) texture filtering. Did anyone do MPH: First Hunt? I want to see what that would look like.

3-on-3 look pretty good.

Yeah it does. It's always been one of the cleanest-looking DS games.

Final Fantasy 4 looks great as well.

Celine

Dunno. I watched an hour of Gran Turismo yesterday and it manages to push a lot more.

DS graphics always felt like a half point between GBA and PS1 sadly.
DS has better framerate (steady 60fps) and more solid graphics (PS1 3d is glitchy due to lack of precision).

Also look at COP to know what DS could do.

WillyFive

How is it possible that these super low res ds games blow up has much better graphic and way easier to read font than a lot of recent indie "pixel art" release?
Because they are the real deal instead of parodies or recreations, which usually exaggerate the effect.

PsionBolt

This is great. So many great-looking games hidden beneath piles of pixels.

First, some floating heads:
As you'd expect, not as dramatic a difference due to the artstyle.

Next, Tales of Innocence:
It looks great, and I would have taken more shots, but DeSmuME wouldn't recognize the save file and I didn't want to play through the intro to get to the actual protagonist.

Lastly, another fantastic improvement, Mega Man Star Force 3:
Just look at that model in the last shot. He's just about ready for Smash 3DS!

If my toaster ran these at more than 6 fps, I would be replaying like half my collection, for sure.

Some of these games look REALLY good, almost bordering on N64 quality. Take note, Nintendo. The idea of a DS Virtual Console sounds very appealing now.

Elija2

The artists who worked on that must have cried themselves to sleep after seeing it in the DS resolution

Yeah, no kidding. It's a shame both the DS and 3DS have such low resolutions. Even if it weren't HD, a higher resolution would make those 3D games look so much nicer. I can't wait to see what 3DS games look like in HD when someone makes a 3DS emulator capable of doing it years from now.

sn00zer

Poor DS artists....damn at some of those hidden detail....indy devs take note....I think a low poly game in hi res could look damn good if taken into account day 1

I don't know how people are seeing PS1 graphics here. The Playstation never looked this smooth. With the resolution upped, this stuff looks on par to Dreamcast ports of games from the PS1/N64.

Lijik

Lastly, another fantastic improvement, Mega Man Star Force 3:

Just look at that model in the last shot. He's just about ready for Smash 3DS!

That character model looks like it stepped right out of Mega Man Legends, fantastic!

Heres some shots from the opening area of Okamiden:
iGcM9f6f6crtg.png

ibgbK4c4A0SeL5.png

iu56Mll600XtB.png

Sputtid

Banned
I absolutely love every one of these, except for sprite based ones. The lack of texture filtering actually adds to the charm. I wanted to replay KH:Days for a while, but the shitty upscale on the 3DS turned me off. Now I think I'll try to emulate it.

Keyouta

I hope Nintendo's next handheld is 720p.

I bet XY would look amazing emulated at 720 or 1080p, crazy how nice the DS's Pokemon titles look.

Edit: Damn @ Okamiden

Seik

Banned
Interesting, really interesting

Anyone have an easy tutorial about how to rip a DS game library? I bought an Acekart 2i for this sole purpose yet I never managed to make it works properly. Since I have more than 20 DS games I'd like to do some tests with this emulator.

Still asking this question as I'm looking up google for the easiest way to do it.

Really, really tempted to do another detailed Appreciation & Emulation Thread for the good old DS. I think it's old enough to make it a part of RetroGAF.

Watcha think y'all?

EDIT: I think I'm having problems connecting my DS online, I read that people had problems because of newest Wi-Fi routers pulling a signal the DS can't detect, possible?

I'm really hyped to make this work.

Top Bottom