• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Small numbers of dead pixels are not a defect

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Mark my words, in like 5 years you'll have delusional Nintendo fans posting they are the special ones that got first batch switches and love that they have dead pixels make their switch unique
.... lol... No shame.

Audioboxer

Umm... Isn't it a low resolution screen? I would think the yields on such low resolution screens would be perfect after all these years.

Considering mobile phones are coming in WQHD I guess you could call it "low resolution". 720p on a screen this size is still more than adequate, but like anything you hold close to your face the lower the resolution, the more dead pixels will stand out.

If you have a few on your 3DS they'll be quite easy to spot. Some people just won't ever notice them, so ymmv when it comes to tolerance. It's still the #1 reason (tied with light bleed) I hate LCD. It's sad in 2017 manufacturers need to have blurbs on their sites to call it "normal practice". The cheaper OLED gets overall, the better. Especially in TVs. Although, due to the distance you tend to sit from your TV it becomes hard to notice dead pixels. Light bleed is worse on TVs (and clouding and all the other shit defects in LCD), especially if you watch something with black borders. Enjoy your beaming grey lighting around your TV in dark scenes. Yuck, LCD is just awful. Such a crapshot in uniformity and consistency, so enjoy your return cycles and fighting with manufacturers because sure, why is it fair you pay the same as someone else and may have an inferior display?

This of course isn't all Nintendos fault, it's part in parcel with everyone still using LCD and consumers waiting on more manufacturers to stop dragging their heels and invest more in display technology/switch to OLED. Nintendo could have afforded AMOLED though, I have a Samsung Tablet from years ago with a WQHD 8.4" AMOLED screen (galaxy tab s, 2014 model).

daxgame

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-responds-to-psp-dead-pixel-reports/1100-6121092/

This is not just a Nintendo thing, but a common line amongst other tech companies.

Oh please. This is a "lol Nintendo" thread and you have no right to post such things.

Mark my words, in like 5 years you'll have delusional Nintendo fans posting they are the special ones that got first batch switches and love that they have dead pixels make their switch unique

Marked.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sadly this is the rule, not just Nintendo, IIRC Sony said something similar for the PSP.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much every electronics producer has certain guidelines for a certain amount of dead/stuck pixels that are acceptable.

Maybe users without dead pixels should ask for a refund for the lack of features.

That would require the people in this thread complaining to have a Switch and have dead pixels, and it's safe to say the overwhelming majority in here don't. It's basically people concern trolling about a problem they don't have, and ignoring the fact that Nintendo's response is standard. It's embarrassing

Neff

That would require the people in this thread complaining to have a Switch and have dead pixels, and it's safe to say the overwhelming majority in here don't. It's basically people concern trolling about a problem they don't have, and ignoring the fact that Nintendo's response is standard. It's embarrassing

I've never seen a hardware launch accompanied by so much exaggerated uproar from individuals who clearly don't own the system.

Stimpack

This is the kind of stuff that makes them dear to us.
You gotta love Nintendo though, I think they might be cool again.

Since someone posted policies earlier: Apple will, in practice, do a return or refund for one pixel, in my experience. I played screen roulette with five iPad Pros and got bad ones every time, but they did returns until I gave up. Maybe if you complain loudly enough you can get the same result from Nintendo?

My current New 3DSXL has a distracting dead pixel that's unfortunately located more towards the center of the screen. I didn't try to do a return because it's just one. The radically different color temps on the two screens are actually a bit more distracting, honestly.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Not that I have any plans on buying a Switch (until Metroid), but when/if I do, I'd return it in a heartbeat if it has one or more dead pixels. Can't stand it.

If I would return a monitor because it had dead pixels you can be sure I'd return a Switch. That's a lot of garbage revisionist nonsense on Nintendo's part.

I've never seen a hardware launch accompanied by so much exaggerated uproar from individuals who clearly don't own the system.

Hmm, I don't think the screen scratching thread is exaggerated uproar from individuals who clearly don't own a Switch. Quite the opposite actually. I'd argue that I've never seen a hardware launch accompanied by issues that die-hards keep shutting down so aggressively.

That said, the dead pixel issue is not worth a thread like this. Happens with any new device that uses an LCD screen. The risk is omnipresent.

Peroroncino

Interesting logic there Nintendo, so let me guess, screen scratching is characteristic to people sliding their switch units in and out of an official dock?

It's pretty weird, right?

Why are people so upset? This is totally standard. If you don't like Nintendo, don't like them, but stop pretending that they killed your dog while you watched because of this.

Zafir

Yeah I think I noticed a dead pixel on my Switch. =/

Whats more frustrating to me is, if I sent it back, I'd likely get a replacement rather than a repair and there goes all my save data because of Nintendos archaic system.

Dueck

Banned
There are people that like or dislike Nintendo, then there's the cult of Nintendo. It's like the Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham debate when they're together (and they're almost always together, because Nintendo criticisms summon the cultists - I had one dude stalking me on another forum for negative Wii U comments until I PM'd him a photo of my console with some Club rewards, then he was inexplicably apologetic).

Yeah I think I noticed a dead pixel on my Switch. =/

Whats more frustrating to me is, if I sent it back, I'd likely get a replacement rather than a repair and there goes all my save data because of Nintendos archaic system.

No, they would keep your saves...This is beyond ridiculous. You know purchases from the eShop were tied to systems before and they didn't magically disappear when people sent their systems in for repairs

Zafir

No, they would keep your saves...This is beyond ridiculous. You know purchases from the eShop were tied to systems before and they didn't magically disappear when people sent their systems in for repairs

Did you even read what I said?

If I got a replacement I wouldn't be able to keep my saves because IT'S A NEW SYSTEM.

PSFan

No, but I remember reading that saves did. I believe people said they were told to back up their save data from Wiis and Wii Us before sending them in for repair.

Zafir

I thought you meant if you sent it into Nintendo and THEY had to replace your system. Must've misinterpreted what you said

No I said, that they'd likely replace my system instead of repairing, thus because I'd be getting a new system there would be no way to keep my saves because you can't back them up at all.

I say they'd likely replace it, because you go through your retailer for issues within the first 30 days here in the UK, generally.

Which admittedly was the Nintendo Store, but that's half ran by thehut.

Neff

Hmm, I don't think the screen scratching thread is exaggerated uproar from individuals who clearly don't own a Switch. Quite the opposite actually. I'd argue that I've never seen a hardware launch accompanied by issues that die-hards keep shutting down so aggressively.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Switch dock is a cheap piece of crap and a far from elegant method of keeping the unit charged, and I hope they offer something better down the road, but it's easy enough to avoid scratching if you do the sensible thing and keep the screen away from the front as you remove/place it.

That said, rather than focusing on rationally documenting genuine defects and bringing them to light, we're seeing a gratuitous amount of uninformed, sensationalistic concern outrage/schadenfreude over such issues, disproportionate even by NeoGAF standards.

Soi-Fong

Well, this sucks to hear. I got my system from Gamestop and founde a stuck pixel on green on my Switch..

What are my options for this?

sirap

Reply? To what?

There is no issue. They didn't reply to anything.

I swear, people don't know how to read.

Huh, is the answer in their Troubleshooting page not considered a reply? I'll edit my post and call it a statement then.

Well, this sucks to hear. I got my system from Gamestop and founde a stuck pixel on green on my Switch..

What are my options for this?

Can you ask for a replacement from Gamestop? We don't have one here and the stores that carry Nintendo stock are generally unsympathetic to "nit picky" problems like this, but you might have better luck.

Sadly this is the rule, not just Nintendo, IIRC Sony said something similar for the PSP.

Pretty much every electronics producer has certain guidelines for a certain amount of dead/stuck pixels that are acceptable.

Not exclusive to nintendo. Sony argued with me about 4 dead pixels on my PSP, I returned it at walmart eventually

could a mod edit the thread title to avoid the "lol nintendo"?

Opa-Pa

Huh, I had no idea companies saying this nonsense was a widespread thing, that's pretty disgusting. Didn't expect it from Nintendo of all companies either, yikes.

My DS Lite has one that drives me nuts until this day, but I never attempted to get a replacement or anything because it was imported... Glad to know it wouldn't have worked either way lol.

That's the standard message for LCDs that virtually every major electronic company used.
That's said, no dead pixel allow. Of course I return anything with dead pixels.

could a mod edit the thread title to avoid the "lol nintendo"?

Thread has been going for a day or so. Not sure the title will change now.

Anyway, so we've seen one guy who had dead pixels and was able to return his switch to the store three times. I guess we're still outraged at Nintendo though.

AzaK

Fuck off Nintendo. Seriously, that's exactly what a defect is and you need to make a system that doesn't have them. Unless you have a 4k display in your handheld, rendering them imperceivable they need to be fixed.

Anyway, thankfully in NZ our consumer guarantees act would force them to fix it. Shame for others though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I got a blue stuck pixel in my Switch, but since the console is sold out everywhere I thought my only option would be to send it to Nintendo. After finding out that they're not too hot on doing anything for just 1 pixel (and it'd also take 2 weeks+), I decided to try to revive it once I get home. Hopefully I'm lucky. Too bad there's no way of copying saves to the micro sd, because whatever I do I don't want to lose my 30+ hours in Zelda.

It would be great if Switch had a Youtube app/browser, so I could run one of those hot pixel recovery videos.

de_reddy

Neo Member
Was following the thread but it grew too fast, how many people have already been found with dead pixels on their switch?

Soi-Fong

Huh, is the answer in their Troubleshooting page not considered a reply? I'll edit my post and call it a statement then.

Can you ask for a replacement from Gamestop? We don't have one here and the stores that carry Nintendo stock are generally unsympathetic to "nit picky" problems like this, but you might have better luck.

I'll go to gamestop then for an exchange. I wouldn't be so nitpicky but it's near center and games like Zelda at night, the stuck pixel is clear as day.

It's a characteristic, but it's also a characteristic of Nintendo's policy. My new 3ds xl had a pack of dead pixels, but it was very easy to return to Best Buy and just buy and gamble on another one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's normal policy. Just buy somewhere you can return if you get bad unit.

It's money saving policy, why throw away not-so perfect panels if some customers are willing to accept them?

"About LCD display pixel anomalies for Apple products released before 2010"

doesn't sound very current.

You could have just clicked the link on the same page for products after 2010.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202025

Soi-Fong

Went to my local Gamestop and they gave me no issues for an exchange. They'll call me when they get more in stock and I'll turn in the console then for an exchange. Just sucks I lose all my progress and stuff.

The games themselves though are linked on the account and not the system correct. Just save data is kept on the system?

j0hnnix

That's a whole lot of possible dead pixels for the >400k(guess) sold, or is it Nintendo fans just settle for Nintendo's rhetoric.

Any dead Pixel, Clouding is a defect plain and simple, it's unacceptable mostly for a 300+ dollar system.

The positive is return policies in other stores.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
That's a whole lot of possible dead pixels for the >400k(guess) sold, or is it Nintendo fans just settle for Nintendo's rhetoric.

Any dead Pixel, Clouding is a defect plain and simple, it's unacceptable mostly for a 300+ dollar system.

Every Electronics manufacturer that has screens on what they sell have guidelines about acceptable amount of dead/stuck pixels.

Most of those manufacturers will still swap if you do have dead/stuck pixels and most retail stores will as well.

This is as non-news as it gets.

lol, Nintendo "rhetoric"

Grow up.

You're acting like 300 dollars is a lot of money. If you want perfection you have to pay way more than 300 dollars.

Top Bottom