• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Dev Kit Stats Leaked? Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Multi-Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vern

Sorry, I meant specific details. 4GB of RAM was known for a while indeed, but I was speaking of the fine minutia like how we now have clocks but little else.

Yea I got you, just curious that the total has been known forever and no one else but me knows the breakdown. But it seems now Nate heard roughly the same at least.

tr1p1ex

Too late to choose. IT's an Nvidia chip in there. IT's not getting PS4/X1 ports.

Doubt they can even make a handheld today with PS4 power let alone price it at $399. Sony would have done that already. Also talk about horrible battery life.

When Nintendo talks about 3rd party support they mean everything but western AAA 3rd party support.

That's why Switch isn't exciting as a Wii U owner. I can play every game they showed. Or there is no reason the Wii U couldn't play those games.

The Switch is more of a sideways move for a Wii U owner unless you really want ultimate portability.

For the 3ds owner, it is a cool upgrade if it is indeed also Nintendo's next gen handheld.

Good to see the Wii U S is still on target for a March release.

The NX isn't going to be dramatically more powerful than the Wii U.

That's why it (will) feel strange to pay ~$300. The NX is essentially the same hardware capability we have now. :)

Luckily there aren't many Wii U owners out there and even fewer when you consider some Wii U owners will greatly desire the portability aspect of the NX.

This is Nintendo trying to squeeze itself between a rock(smartphones) and a hard place (Ps4 and X1.) You can see the wheels turning.

It gives the NX something smartphones don't have out of the box - tv play and buttons and sticks.

And it gives the NX something those other consoles don't have which is portability, a 2nd controller built-in and a touchscreen.

I still think VR could be an additional gimmick. IF not in the box then as a $60 mini-collection 2 yrs later bundled with a cheap pair of goggles that can hold the screen. And if not that then next-gen NX will have a VR gimmick. And you gotta use your imagination when I say NX might have a VR gimmick. NX VR won't be Fallout 4 in VR. It is will be Virtual Boy on Steroids in VR.

You can see what the X1 can run on YouTube. Doom BFG at 1080p full 60 fps with few frame drops. The NX has to run Zelda too. But it's Nintendo. They are more interested in spending their money on new ways to play instead of on gpu/cpu power. It's also a handheld and has to be at a family friendly pricepoint.

Anyway let me crush some dreams.

You aren't going to see GTA V. Nor AAA western support.

Not going to be as powerful as the X1. Be lucky if it is noticeably more powerful than the Wii U.

Not going to be a multimedia power house. Not Nintendo's forte. Don't expect more than Netflix, YouTube and Amazon.

Someone show how the screen snaps into VR goggles and the controllers become wands.

If Nintendo doesn't do VR this gen then the design will surely be ready for VR by next gen.

But, like I just said to someone else, they did Virtual Boy 20 years ago!!!!!! Sure it flopped, but it was built on much much much less than a Tegra chip and 720p screen.

According to the video link posted, the X1 would make it a 360 Neo in terms of processing power.
Sounds like Nintendo.

I never thought it was going to have a ton of power. Almost for sure thought they had to be going ARM this generation. They were combining OS's and having different architectures wouldn't make sense. 3ds was already ARM and had the better sales particularly in Japan which is their home market and the market that they focus first on. x86 isn't best in class in mobile architectures and so was doubtful. And Nintendo doesn't require high end graphics power for their games. Plus they were never going to try and make a PS4 clone.

Was pretty sure Nintendo was going to compete on the low end. Kids/families. Casuals.

i didn't really think it was going to be a hybrid though because of what Iwata said and because it seems like they can make a home version of this for even cheaper ...ie without the screen and battery. But Iwata's comments and a hyrbrid doesn't preclude Nintendo from doing just that and eventually coming out with a tv-only version of this. ...although then you lose some of your uniqueness and are just a streaming box with a controller.

I figured it was barely going to run Wii U games because..... They weren't going to make another expensive system nor PS4 clone. It was going to run ARM. It would either run the same games as the portable (version of NX) or slightly prettier versions. ....And a recent comment from Nintendo only backed that up. One of the big three in Japan that report to the CEO said (at E3 or during their last investor's report) that they are working to make Zelda be the same experience on the NX...which to me meant "porting to another platform" that doesn't have a lot of wiggle room in terms of extra processing power. ...because you don't have to work hard(relatively speaking) to port a game to, or provide a similar experience on, a much more powerful platform. It seemed like an odd comment to make ...if the NX was going to have a lot more gpu power.

ggx2ac

I get that there are "I told you so" posts, unfortunately they got the answer right without even showing how they worked out the answer.

It doesn't make it that impressive, it's like getting a coin toss right, it was all based on probability.

Did you abandoned Sony when the PS4 pro came out?

Completely different situation. The PS4 pro released about 3 years after the PS4 and the PS4 was already a TV-focused console. The Switch is a hybrid that I'm tolerating because there is no other option from Nintendo. For them to screw over early buyers who would prefer a proper console by releasing a "real" switch console about a year later would be the last straw for me.

Astral Dog

I don't really buy Nintendo games, so that aspect of it doesn't matter to me. I have a Wii U, so why would anyone want another Wii U? Modest specs out of what could have been is the frustrating part, and as I've said in the past the problem with hybrid systems is exactly this. The handheld side has to win out since that's the limiting factor. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't care about the portable side at all, and I feel like console guys are getting the shaft. Of course it will all come down to games, but still, I don't think anyone would have expected Nintendo and Nvidia to hamstring the system so severely.

People are just wondering why they would do such a thing, I think.
!!!
The problem with this is at best you could have hoped for an XB1 Nintendo console with a limited library because Nintendo would be pretty stupid to leave their mobile business for a Wii U successor, there would be a high probability of the same: fewer games because they spent their limited resources on two completely different platforms.

With Switch they at least offer their fans a relatively high quality portable experience and a chance to enjoy those critically acclaimed Wii U exclusives, and console owners a new different platform they can take anywere, even if its a modest increase in the graphical capabilities from their (still good looking and at 60fps) previous titles.

And besides that, if you are even not interested in Nintendo games you would probably wont buy a Nintendo console instead of the other ones anyways :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the performance is so low in docked mode I'm surprised they'd even target 1080p in the first place. why not look at 900p or even 720p, and 540p for handheld mode?

saskuatch

If the performance is so low in docked mode I'm surprised they'd even target 1080p in the first place. why not look at 900p or even 720p, and 540p for handheld mode?

because if you are not even going to try to target 1080p in 2017 then it is kind of hard to sell the hybrid angle. I am certain most games will be lower, they are just making it capable 1080p on paper so they can use it on advertising and packaging. Kind of how Microsoft cheats in their advertisements and makes it seem like the xbox one s can do 4k games.

Astral Dog

Because 540p for handheld mode would be horrible? I dont think Nintendo would like many sub native games on their new HD portable system.

Though i agree that 1080p is not confirmed yet, we cant be sure how all games will use that extra procesding power or how much there it is if they want to push the graphics more (900p is a real posibility for some games)

I like how no one knows it's actual performance and are already judging what it can or can't do.

Thisisneogaf.gif

But anyway all the UE4 and development info which came out today paints a very promising picture to me, as far as the ability to run multiplats is concerned. Getting publishers on board is another matter but I'm hoping for the best.
Man I wish the code name was Project Wolf instead of NX...

Because 540p for handheld mode would be horrible? I dont think Nintendo would like many sub native games on their new HD portable system.

Though i agree that 1080p is not confirmed yet, we cant be sure how all games will use that extra procesding power or how much there it is if they want to push the graphics more (900p is a real posibility for some games)

The Vita games that run at the full 544p resolution actually look really good. Obviously scaling up isn't going to look as crisp, though.

Just for fun I took a random screenshot of Freedom Wars from the Vita and linear scaled it up to 720p. Doesn't look too shabby IQ-wise (though of course geometry, textures, and effects are still Vita-level), and remember this would be on a 6-inch screen as well. I think AAA games would look okay like this.

A4jH05l.jpg

We don't know how common 1080p will be on Switch or if Nintendo mandates native res in mobile mode.

Clocks = performance. There is literally no other determining factor.

Edit: I suppose I should put a
/s
here given the current climate in Nintendo threads.

We got alleged leaks of clocks but have 0 idea on the details of the customization of the SOC. We don't know what final retail even looks like. For all we know the Dev kits were just a guide and actually hardware could be substantially better or worse lol.

We got alleged leaks of clocks but have 0 idea on the details of the customization of the SOC. We don't know what final retail even looks like. For all we know the Dev kits were just a guide and actually hardware could be substantially better or worse lol.

Now expecting 0 SMs and 1 A53 core. The Switch is powered by hopes and dreams alone. And 4GB LPDDR4.

TLZ

Banned
I couldn't find anything about any device with "Wolf" in its name and the 0.666 resolution change between the variants got me wondering if these profiles are meant for the Switch docked and undocked modes (that's the exact ratio between 720p and 1080p). A code name, perhaps?

The switch is the Antichrist.

EDarkness

!!!
The problem with this is at best you could have hoped for an XB1 Nintendo console with a limited library because Nintendo would be pretty stupid to leave their mobile business for a Wii U successor, there would be a high probability of the same: fewer games because they spent their limited resources on two completely different platforms.

With Switch they at least offer their fans a relatively high quality portable experience and a chance to enjoy those critically acclaimed Wii U exclusives, and console owners a new different platform they can take anywere, even if its a modest increase in the graphical capabilities from their (still good looking and at 60fps) previous titles.

And besides that, if you are even not interested in Nintendo games you would probably wont buy a Nintendo console instead of the other ones anyways :p

Well, for me it's all about the controls. I buy Nintendo hardware to be able to play games with remote and nunchuck. I don't care about Mario and I don't play Smash. I do buy Metroid and Zelda games along with stuff like Bayonetta 2 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I own a PS4 so technically, I can play whatever multi-platform games I want. But I'm not interested in dual analog experiences and I've never been particularly partial to Sony's ecosystem. So the NS was (is) a way for me to keep playing games the way I've been playing them for a long time now and maybe I'll get to play things like Skyrim with interesting controls. Probably won't happen, but I want that option. I just wanted to believe that Nintendo would be able to balance this hybrid concept better than they have. Handheld guys will get something pretty swanky...especially coming from the 3DS. Console guys will get the shaft and that's where my personal disappointment comes from. Ultimately, it doesn't matter since I can play just about any game I want on the PS4, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing that Nintendo went this route.

My personal disappointment aside, I don't think this is gonna mean anything concerning whether or not the NS can get ports of PS4/Xbox One games. This can and will happen, so people can drop this notion that the NS is all of a sudden incapable of getting ports. I think lots of folks were hoping for just a bit more and didn't think they'd go below the baseline set by Nvidia's own hardware. Just goes to show that you never know with Nintendo. Those guys are masters of doing crazy stuff.

ggx2ac

That's ignoring a lot of things we already know.

The clock speeds revealed help to change the constraints of the system when before we had leaked specs and speculation from Eurogamer of loud fan noise where they took it as to mean the dev-kit was overclocked and that NX would use a "Tegra X2" all while agreeing with the leaked dev-kit specs from Twitter without questioning why the GPU clock speed was at stock speed and not overclocked. Then there's also the fact that the final dev-kits are still using Maxwell as opposed to Pascal.

If we wanted to be ignorant, we may as well be like the guy on the last page who thinks he was right about Switch being weak because it's using ARM and not x86. (I'm still laughing hard about that.)

Astral Dog

Well, for me it's all about the controls. I buy Nintendo hardware to be able to play games with remote and nunchuck. I don't care about Mario and I don't play Smash. I do buy Metroid and Zelda games along with stuff like Bayonetta 2 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I own a PS4 so technically, I can play whatever multi-platform games I want. But I'm not interested in dual analog experiences and I've never been particularly partial to Sony's ecosystem. So the NS was (is) a way for me to keep playing games the way I've been playing them for a long time now and maybe I'll get to play things like Skyrim with interesting controls. Probably won't happen, but I want that option. I just wanted to believe that Nintendo would be able to balance this hybrid concept better than they have. Handheld guys will get something pretty swanky...especially coming from the 3DS. Console guys will get the shaft and that's where my personal disappointment comes from. Ultimately, it doesn't matter since I can play just about any game I want on the PS4, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing that Nintendo went this route.

My personal disappointment aside, I don't think this is gonna mean anything concerning whether or not the NS can get ports of PS4/Xbox One games. This can and will happen, so people can drop this notion that the NS is all of a sudden incapable of getting ports. I think lots of folks were hoping for just a bit more and didn't think they'd go below the baseline set by Nvidia's own hardware. Just goes to show that you never know with Nintendo. Those guys are masters of doing crazy stuff.
Good for you they finally ditched the remote and nunchuck then.
:p seriously i understand the dissapointment and how things could go wrong from here, an hybrid is an incredibly risky proposition, its just that many of the comments lately sound weird at best and insane meltdowns at worst, even from people who clearly dont care about Nintendo at all. they would have been dissapointed one way or another, its clear Nintendo has their own way of doing things even if sometimes they dont work.

Cerium

I've already stated I didn't expect downclocks. Yet be like others and forget I did nail what type of CPU it was going to end up with
amd 8350 stock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NX>>>>> X1 >> PS4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wii U.
I'm sorry but you were wrong. End stop. You can see in that thread the kind of frenzy you created and back then you reveled in the authority your status as an "insider" granted you. But now that you have egg on your face you're contorting yourself to evade responsibility; "I didn't expect downclocks" followed by chest thumping is a terrible look for someone caught spreading misinformation and raising false hopes. A little contrition, a little humility under the circumstances is warranted, given that many people who care about this stuff and took you at your word have had their hopes dashed.

The funny thing about trust is that once it is lost it is a terribly difficult thing to regain. Belligerence and deflection does not help. There are no shortcuts around it.

I never spoke about the CPU. I said Switch would be 3x Wii U based on the information I was being told. I wouldn't say 2.5x is a major decrease from 3x. Pascal was the only miss my contacts have had, and the custom Maxwell is using aspects of Pascal as reported by EG this week. Like I've said, and will continually have to repeat, Nintendo looked into Pascal, and other outlets had heard the same - up to a 99% certainty it was being used.

And the RAM information going around for the OS is accurate as in 3GB of RAM for games.
Nintendo "looking into" Pascal is not what you reported "with confidence" and you know that as well as anyone. And "aspects" of Pascal being used in the Switch is not a mitigating factor either when node size is the major difference between Pascal and Maxwell, with the largest impact on heat and power draw, and which Switch will not be benefiting from.

You've said that you would own up to this mistake, and that should begin and end with "I shared bad information and I'm sorry." It's hard to sympathize with the posts in your history about how hard it is to be an insider when you're still trying to speak authoritatively on the subject, not to mention that it's something you elect to do for the benefit of your career.

...before we all start jumping on people (and companies) for lying let's remember that absolutely nothing is confirmed yet. Regardless of how rightfully trustworthy Eurogamer and Digital Foundry is, and how likely what they've reported is to be accurate, none of it is confirmed yet.

ggx2ac

Why would Nvidia lie when Switch was announced? I still think it's Pascal.

It's not a complete lie. It is using the best tech* available.

*Constrained by current battery tech that runs from 5W to 10W and has to use a fan to avoid overheating and throttling.

That's ignoring a lot of things we already know.

The clock speeds revealed help to change the constraints of the system when before we had leaked specs and speculation from Eurogamer of loud fan noise where they took it as to mean the dev-kit was overclocked and that NX would use a "Tegra X2" all while agreeing with the leaked dev-kit specs from Twitter without questioning why the GPU clock speed was at stock speed and not overclocked. Then there's also the fact that the final dev-kits are still using Maxwell as opposed to Pascal.

If we wanted to be ignorant, we may as well be like the guy on the last page who thinks he was right about Switch being weak because it's using ARM and not x86. (I'm still laughing hard about that.)

All we know for sure is it is tegra and it is based on one of Nvidia's top performing cards. We know what it looks like based on their teaser and Jimmy Fallon (performance of BOTW also). The rest is just rumors... Outside the parents of course.

ggx2ac

All we know for sure is it is tegra and it is based on one of Nvidia's top performing cards. We know what it looks like based on their teaser and Jimmy Fallon (performance of BOTW also). The rest is just rumors... Outside the parents of course.

It sounds too convenient to deny the recent Eurogamer report when they've been right on other things that were revealed and even Laura Kate Dale agrees with what was reported.

You may as well say the following was 3D printed from the Eurogamer report:

Documentation supplied to developers along with the table above ends with this stark message: "The information in this table is the final specification for the combinations of performance configurations and performance modes that applications will be able to use at launch."

Speely

Banned
It's not a complete lie. It is using the best tech* available.

*Constrained by current battery tech that runs from 5W to 10W and has to use a fan to avoid overheating and throttling.

This. Additionally, the 980ti exists. There doesn't even need to be a semantic diversion here. A modest Maxwell chip is still based on that architecture.

720p on the portable and 1080p on the TV for Nintendo's games seems quite reasonable.
They never really pushed the Wii U that much outside of ~3 titles so they could still get some nice visuals and performance @ 720p on the portable.
I'm not sure how 3rd parties are going to handle it, but hopefully something similar...I can see sub res games by them, though

It sounds too convenient to deny the recent Eurogamer report when they've been right on other things that were revealed and even Laura Kate Dale agrees with what was reported.

You may as well say the following was 3D printed from the Eurogamer report:

I'm not saying they are wrong I'm just saying even they prefaced what they said by saying the following.

"There are some anomalies and inconsistencies there that raise alarm bells though."

"Nvidia's chip also has four ARM Cortex A53s in combination with the more powerful A57s - so why aren't they on the spec too? "

"Although the picture on Switch's technological make-up is now coming into focus, our enquiries continue. We know how fast it runs, but what are the custom modifications that set apart the bespoke Tegra from the stock X1? While we're confident that our reporting on Switch's clock-speeds is accurate, all of the questions we have concerning the leaked spec remain unanswered. Those anomalies still seem odd, and details of the processor's customisations remain unknown at this time. Has Nintendo added a bunch of smaller tweaks or has it been a little more ambitious?"

That would defeat the purpose of having a 720p screen built into the system. You'd be playing 720p on TV, and 540p handheld with a device that has a 720p screen built in.

Malakai

I'm not saying they are wrong I'm just saying even they prefaced what they said by saying the following.

"There are some anomalies and inconsistencies there that raise alarm bells though."

"Nvidia's chip also has four ARM Cortex A53s in combination with the more powerful A57s - so why aren't they on the spec too? "

"Although the picture on Switch's technological make-up is now coming into focus, our enquiries continue. We know how fast it runs, but what are the custom modifications that set apart the bespoke Tegra from the stock X1? While we're confident that our reporting on Switch's clock-speeds is accurate, all of the questions we have concerning the leaked spec remain unanswered. Those anomalies still seem odd, and details of the processor's customisations remain unknown at this time. Has Nintendo added a bunch of smaller tweaks or has it been a little more ambitious?"

The problem with Eurogamer's article is that they didn't stress bolded enough. They wrote the article as if Nintendo is going to use a non-customized SoC. So, now everybody is thinking and basing their opinion on that Nintendo is using a of the shelf underclocked Tegra X1 when we know that can't be the case. If it was the case, then why would Nintendo even need the fan? Eurogamer's article is nothing but bad journalism.

Terrell

No one reads that part, c'mon, you should know better.

ggx2ac

They are talking about old dev-kit specs which appeared on Twitter and the inconsistencies they were questioning were to do with HDMI and pixel fill rates. They had no problem with the clock speeds and every other insider from Nate Drake to Emily Rogers and Laura Kate Dale agreed with the leaked specs.

Again, they explain why. Someone else brought up a good point that they may be only used for the OS which means the developer doesn't need to know about it because they won't be able to use it.

This is speculation from what they reported on the clock speeds of the final dev-kits which they say are accurate, it doesn't make the clock speeds reported false.

Again, it's their speculation about what's going on but Emily Rogers and Laura Kate Dale have agreed on the clock speeds and even Emily Rogers had to remind people from July that the Switch was only going to "blow away" the Wii U and that it would be a stretch for it to be comparable in power to the Xbox One.

Banned
I'm sorry but you were wrong. End stop. You can see in that thread the kind of frenzy you created and back then you reveled in the authority your status as an "insider" granted you. But now that you have egg on your face you're contorting yourself to evade responsibility; "I didn't expect downclocks" followed by chest thumping is a terrible look for someone caught spreading misinformation and raising false hopes. A little contrition, a little humility under the circumstances is warranted, given that many people who care about this stuff and took you at your word have had their hopes dashed.

The funny thing about trust is that once it is lost it is a terribly difficult thing to regain. Belligerence and deflection does not help. There are no shortcuts around it.

Nintendo "looking into" Pascal is not what you reported "with confidence" and you know that as well as anyone. And "aspects" of Pascal being used in the Switch is not a mitigating factor either when node size is the major difference between Pascal and Maxwell, with the largest impact on heat and power draw, and which Switch will not be benefiting from.

You've said that you would own up to this mistake, and that should begin and end with "I shared bad information and I'm sorry." It's hard to sympathize with the posts in your history about how hard it is to be an insider when you're still trying to speak authoritatively on the subject, not to mention that it's something you elect to do for the benefit of your career.
Hi.

bomblord1

Banned
The Vita games that run at the full 544p resolution actually look really good. Obviously scaling up isn't going to look as crisp, though.

Just for fun I took a random screenshot of Freedom Wars from the Vita and linear scaled it up to 720p. Doesn't look too shabby IQ-wise (though of course geometry, textures, and effects are still Vita-level), and remember this would be on a 6-inch screen as well. I think AAA games would look okay like this.

A4jH05l.jpg

Why linear? Do you have the original I'de like to try a few different methods.

Kimawolf

Think you're being a tad harsh. Both of them did have right information. And even the clockspeed thing, which you seem to be stuck on, doesn't "invalidate" any other rumor when we still have no idea what kind of chips are actually being used. You're just using speculation upon more speculation to invalidate even more speculation and coming ot some bottom of the barrel negative theory.

Why linear? Do you have the original I'de like to try a few different methods.

I figured linear was what consoles would use because it's probably the cheapest next to nearest-neighbor? I could be totally off-base though.

Anyway, knock yourself out (note that there are probably JPG artifacts due to Vita not having lossless screenshots):

O0PFpUs.png

bomblord1

Banned
I figured linear was what consoles would use because it's probably the cheapest next to nearest-neighbor? I could be totally off-base though.

Anyway, knock yourself out (note that there are probably JPG artifacts due to Vita not having lossless screenshots):

O0PFpUs.png

Thanks tried a couple different really didn't make much of a difference though lol. It has ever so slightly less fuzz
o0pfpuspej2v.png

vs yours
A4jH05l.jpg

Mines bicubic btw

LCGeek

formerly sane

I love when all you have is babble and wishy washy projections as a response. Keep imagining all that it will be a long time before some of that ever happens.

Literally just posted how one could arrive at conclusion after someone said it couldn't be possible. As for evading,my response the day the discussion happened on clock rates and have stuck around since.

For someone asking about humility you're post reeks of a very contrived plea. When it comes to hopes I've knocked down port performance past certain points which the article didn't change much of. To be blunt from your response it seems like the egg is on you, just a little.

Cerium

I love when all you have is babble and wishy washy projections as a response. Keep imagining all that it will be a long time before some of that ever happens.

Literally just posted how one could arrive at conclusion after someone said it couldn't be possible. As for evading,my response the day the discussion happened on clock rates and have stuck around since.

For someone asking about humility you're post reeks of a very contrived plea. When it comes to hopes I've knocked down port performance past certain points which the article didn't change much of. To be blunt from your response it seems like the egg is on you, just a little.
Not only is this pathetic response riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, it also says nothing. It's literally incoherent. I will happily cite this the next time you try to speak as an authority on any subject.

LCGeek
formerly sane
(Today, 11:04 PM)

LCGeek

formerly sane
Not only is this pathetic response riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, it also says nothing. It's literally incoherent. I will happily cite this the next time you try to speak as an authority on any subject.

So a stalker now. Be my guest for the record.

Whatever apology or shit you want from these 2 you are not entitled to. At no point should anyone have taken their word as gospel. They have insider sources but that doesn't imply things don't change and they never guaranteed anything. They simply stated what their sources had relayed to them. I really dunno what the fuck your problem is frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom