• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch - Durability Tests

Biske

I was thinking the same thing. I don't know why, but it just does

And those joycon flex tests were crazy. They seem mad durable and strongly attached, although I'm betting this thread will get WAAAAAAAAAAY less posts than the one about Giantbomb breaking their joycon

All the stuff I've seen it seems you really have to try and break the switch. Can take a pretty good beating

Other than the screen scratches.

Which scratches opposed to breaking. Pretty good compromise really

I was super certain it was going to be plastic like the Vita... just thought it would be harder and better quality than the vita which doesn't necessarily seems to be the case.

Anyway, WHO said it was glass in the dock-scratches thread... stating it like he knew for certain?! Didn't believe it, but couldn't call the posters out either.

Schnozberry

Jesus, those comments. It's like plastic automatically means it's not a good product.

It makes for a durable device that is cost effective. The trade off is that it scratches a lot easier than something like gorilla glass would, but that's easily rectified with screen protectors. You can even get a glass one if you have a boner for it.

Great test. I noticed a very faint wiggle on my joycons when connected to the switch display. Was curious to see how much force was required to snap them off. I feel much better now.

Other than the dock the unit itself seems to be well designed.

hq6bbuP.gif

damn son

Instant curved screen ;0

But in all seriousness that's terrifyingly durable.

sleepnaught

Nice to see it shouldn't have any issues holding up several years of abuse . I just need to find me a decent screen protector and I'm set.

KingV

After watching that video I'm pretty sure the rail design is intentional so that the scratches end up on the bezels of the screen instead of on the viewing area.

Another interesting possibility about plastic is that you could possibly polish the scratches, even deepish ones, out. No idea how much polishing those screens can take before you polish the touch out of the touch screen, however.

But isn't the fact that the rail broke by the screws very bad? I think the best would've been for the joycon slide to break, not the rail! That means if you accidentally sit on your system you will need to buy a whole new tablet instead of just a joycon.

This whole video illustrates something about the Switch design and the whole "dock scratching" hullabaloo--its a trade-off of functional durability over cosmetic durability.

I think there should be something in the dock that prevents the switch from being slotted in off-center (although it's trivial to avoid if you're paying attention), which would eliminate any risk of the screen getting scratched by the dock. But other than that, and even including that--cosmetic micro-scratches are just going to happen on a portable device that gets a lot of use. It can be irritating if you're prone to being irritated by it, but it has no significant effect on function. What you don't want is the thing to easily *break*.

My nephew plays Wii U almost exclusively on the game pad. I don't even want to tell you what it looks like. I'm not sure if he even notices.

Budi

Switch is a beast!

I get that this is a nice test to do and I watched it. But watching it wasn't easy.

The Wart

So bottom line is, scratching it is easy, breaking it is practically impossible unless you're really trying. I can live with that.

cyress8

Banned
Watching this made me happy. Rather just buy a screen protector than the glass. This actually made me want a cellphone with a plastic screen now. Seen so many people with cracked phone screens that I live in fear of dropping mine, even with a case on it.

Skyzard

Banned
This was much better than videos of people just dropping the console repeatedly on concrete until it broke. Pretty informative though it was painful to watch him scratch and burn the screen lol.

OmegaX

Plastic screen is disappointing to me, an adult who is more concerned about scratches than dropping the thing and shattering the screen. But I get it, I suppose. Damn kids.
"Kids", sure. 90% of the people I see walking on the street with a high end smartphone with a cracked screen are adults.

At least in this context something of value is gained. Its not like those cringe inducing microwave/blender destruction videos.
I can't wait to see the Hydraulic Press Channel guy getting his hands on a Switch :p

mackattk

Übermatik;231581247 said:
I honestly don't see the purpose of tests like these. It's materialistic morbid curiosity. And yeah, I know, it's only one Switch, but what a damn waste. You could take a look at the system and make a fair judgement at how durable it might be.

His videos are pretty helpful. Knowing how durable a phone is helped me make my purchasing decision. Check out his Nextbit Robin video, for instance. These videos are better than the old "destroying the console in front of everyone who is waiting in line for them" videos for previous console launches.

NSESN

Pretty durable, looks like the only problem is that is easy to scratch.

Hos is this compared to the Vita, PSP, 3DS and DS?

I am pretty sure I can break my 3ds pretty quick, its hinge doesn't look very sturdy, Vita dunno, my vita looks sturdier than my 3DS, but I didn't play with it near as much.

Waji

Switch is a beast!
I get that this is a nice test to do and I watched it. But watching it wasn't easy.
I feel the same.

Though compared to most people this only comforts me with my decision to not buy any screen protector.

Exactly. The idea that only kids drop expensive electronics is absurd

Sister dropped her iPhone 7 at a restaurant the other night. Total mess. Glass was all over, cut her fingers trying to use it lol.

That aside, the switch is looking more durable than I thought. I think I'll be safe with a screen protector and that's it.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't know why, but it just does

And those joycon flex tests were crazy. They seem mad durable and strongly attached, although I'm betting this thread will get WAAAAAAAAAAY less posts than the one about Giantbomb breaking their joycon

That GB segment had me worried but since getting my switch the most durable and well built mechanism has been the way the joy-cons connect to the console. Super sturdy.

This video made me grab my switch and just give it a big hug. Just watching it made me sad, great video to see the durability, but made me sad watching a switch getting destroyed.

The Giant

Banned
I still remember someone attaching a gamecube to the back of the car and drove around the street with the gamecube hitting the road over and over and by the end, the gamecube still worked.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nintendo seriously did the buttons as a second shot overmold? That's...A fantastic touch. I want to pull one of them out now and figure out how they did it

LordOfChaos

Level 3 hardness for scratches is a heck of a lot below the usual 6-7 of aluminosilicate glass. And considering the plastic dock scratches the screen, that makes sense. Hopefully that at least means that while it's very scratch prone, it's not shatter prone.

Souzetsu

So Crowbcat was just overselling the defects?

I honestly don't think the videos are about overselling. Just the pure awkwardness of getting a lemon unit. He has videos for the Xbox One, PS4 and PS4 Pro. Even the Xbox One Elite Controller has its own video.

Top Bottom