• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo uploads ARMS stream (Japanese, nearly an hour)... Game looks fantastic!

Speely

Banned
Oh yeah, duh. Huh, in that case maybe movement will be done via gyro controls, then punching on the sticks?

I have a feeling that punches will be L and R triggers with right-stick curving. Movement left stick. Dash and Jump shoulder buttons.

This way, your fingers never have to leave their positions, which will be important since motion users will always have access to actions without delay for finger travel.

I have a feeling that punches will be L and R triggers with right-stick curving. Movement left stick. Dash and Jump shoulder buttons.

This way, your fingers never have to leave their positions, which will be important since motion users will always have access to actions without delay for finger travel.
That makes sense

psyfi

Banned

But each arm needs its own independent aiming, right?

Speely

Banned
But each arm needs its own independent aiming, right?

Double punch is a throw, which aims as one attack. Punches have to be thrown separately. The right stick could accomodate this.

Edit: or they could just let gyro handle curve, which is perhaps a bit more in line with the feel of the game.

That could be comfortable, I'd be in for that.

Totakeke

Double punch is a throw, which aims as one attack. Punches have to be thrown separately. The right stick could accomodate this.

Edit: or they could just let gyro handle curve, which is perhaps a bit more in line with the feel of the game.

Each arm can twist in its own direction.

JavyOO7

The wait for this game is going to be like torture, almost. Golly, I just have this feeling this game is going to be great. I may have to stop looking up any media about this game or anything in regards to Switch. Fak.

I'm glad that this game turned into the darling of the conference after a generally underwhelming initial reaction. I thought that it looked pretty awesome when it was first shown, but everyone seemed pretty meh on it because it wasn't an established franchise. But this looks freaking terrific, definitely a day one purchase as long as it doesn't review like a disaster.

SalvaPot

Round 3: Memes Edition

tumblr_ojtau5kt1z1qbnch3o1_r1_1280.png

tumblr_ojw0bn88mZ1uy2cjxo1_500.gif

tumblr_ojpd02Tg5x1v0zsnho1_500.png

tumblr_ojzkcuRAdD1w2r5j9o1_500.png

Totakeke

Right. For punches. Why would a right stick or gyro not be able to handle this? You can't throw two punches at the same time.

Yes you can. For someone with an Arms avatar I'm thoroughly disappointed. :p

XJB2gTn.gif

Plus you don't control direction when they punch, but also for the whole duration of the punch.

Speely

Banned
Yes you can. For someone with an Arms avatar I'm thoroughly disappointed. :p

XJB2gTn.gif

Plus you don't control direction when they punch, but also for the whole duration of the punch.

I am just trying to work through how Pro Comtroller control would happen. FYI those punches were one directly after the other, not simultaneous. That's impossible, because simultaneous is a throw.

Pastry

Banned
I am just trying to work through how Pro Comtroller control would happen. FYI those punches were one directly after the other, not simultaneous. That's impossible, because simultaneous is a throw.

We know that you can't punch and move at the same time.

So I think the triggers will throw punch (left trigger for left and arm and right for right) and then you can control the arms with the left and right sticks after the punch. The sticks will control movement when you're not punching.

Totakeke

None of the proposed non-motion controls sound as good because you either have to rely on upper/lower shoulder buttons to control punching direction (L/R for left arm, ZL/ZR for right arm or even L/ZL for left arm, R/ZR for right arm), or both the analog sticks replicating a twin stick setup while none of the controllers have the twin sticks at the same level. But I'm sure people will get used to it if they want to.

SalvaPot

Hopefully ARMS actually has staying power in the FGC, unlike Pokkén.

Pokken has a good number of players, its only hindered by the fact you need two wii u's and wire them to play properly. If (When) a switch version its released it should be easier to setup and run.

Really curious to see how much content is in this game. I'd really like to pull the trigger if the value proposition is there. Looks gorgeous.

JusDoIt

This sounds good. I could see L/R dashes on each bumper and jump on a face button, too.

Roo

What if.. the Pro Controller actually still has motion controls?
Like, you can still use motion controls to move left and right but punches, grabs, shield, jumps, etc are mapped to buttons on the controller.

I don't think that specific gameplay style would be much more complicated than say.. Splatoon.

The reason I mention this is because yes, they said you can play this game without motion controls but maybe they were talking about the more motion instrusive stuff like all the moves I previously mentioned.

Just throwing the idea out there. I'm sure they'll do a good job mapping all the moves in a comfortable way for the Pro controller.

Totakeke

For people proposing control methods. Think how you would perform this simple move, while also being able to curve back the punches in the other direction after halfway through the punch extension.

XJB2gTn.gif

A gyro on a standard controller alone won't be able to do it.

random25

With the pro controller, what I think is to have the gyro provide lateral movement. Tilt up/down to move forward/backward, tilt left/right to move sideways. Triggers execute each punch while the twin sticks provide the direction of the punch.

Totakeke

With the pro controller, what I think is to have the gyro provide lateral movement. Tilt up/down to move forward/backward, tilt left/right to move sideways. Triggers execute each punch while the twin sticks provide the direction of the punch.

The analog sticks are still not level, but I like that idea. You probably don't even have to use the triggers to execute punches and just push up to punch.

Peléo

We had a small discussion about controls on the other topic. I think something like this could work:

Left Stick: Move character
B: Jump
Y: Dash
X: Special Attack
R: Right Punch / Curve Right Punch In
ZR: Right Punch / Curve Right Punch Out
L: Left Punch / Curve Left Punch In
ZL: Left Punch / Curve Left Punch Out

(It's also playable with a single Joy-Con if you assign ZR and ZL to X and Y, with A and B being Jump and Dash. Especial would be clickable stick)

qko

I do feel spoiled with fighting games nowadays where rosters reach nearly 30 characters or more. I do remember a time where we only got 8 playable fighters, 4 unplayable bosses and subsequent full priced sequels slowly increasing the roster.

ARMS in this state does seem a little light for $60, it's not 1993 anymore.

random25

The analog sticks are still not level, but I like that idea. You probably don't even have to use the triggers to execute punches and just push up to punch.

That's a good idea too, though doing the super could be a bit slow with flicking the stick up to punch. Maybe multiple punch options like how there are multiple jump and shield buttons in Smash.

ARMS got all the rocks, the papers, and the scissors needed to catch the FGC's attention. I hope the game ends up being as competitively viable as it looks.

Many were just thrown off by the motion controls and probably the art style at first. But the more the game reveals itself, the more people see that there's depth to it similar to how deep traditional fighting games are. And the motion controls of the game seems to make a positive impression, similar to how gyro aiming in Splatoon has impressed a lot of folks who were skeptical about it at first.

TDLink

I do feel spoiled with fighting games nowadays where rosters reach nearly 30 characters or more. I do remember a time where we only got 8 playable fighters, 4 unplayable bosses and subsequent full priced sequels slowly increasing the roster.

ARMS in this state does seem a little light for $60, it's not 1993 anymore.

Do you always assume every fighting game only has the amount of content shown in its initial reveal?

Roo

Either way it's probably not gonna have a ton of characters compared to established franchises in its first iteration.
10-15 characters (with the possibility of DLC) seems like a fair amount of characters.

But again, I'm not really into fighting games outside of Smash and KoF (both franchises with HUGE rosters) so I don't know what'd be a good fit for a brand new fighting IP in this day and age.

Either way it's probably not gonna have a ton of characters compared to established franchises in its first iteration.
Why is it a big deal? 10-15 characters is fine. I don't care what Tekken or Smash or Street Fighter has. This is a brand new IP. It doesn't need 20 characters from the bat.

Either way you're judging it on a demo which is beyond ridiculous. Your argument was that it seems light on content, and the ONLY thing you have to base that assertion on is the demo

random25

For reference, Street Fighter V, obviously the fifth main game in the series, has 16 characters as its starting roster. Smash 64 started with 8 characters with 4 unlockables, bringing it to a final 12-man roster. Pokken Tournament Wii U I believe has 16 total characters, including Shadow Mewtwo.

Currently, we have 5 known characters for ARMS. We don't know how many more are coming but if it ends up with 10, then it's not that far off, and if it's about 12 to 16 total, then it's pretty much on par with the starting games of other series and even the latest entry of the older franchises.

TDLink

10-15, as some are suggesting, would be a fine amount.

But that said, there's no indication whatsoever of just how much content the game will have based solely on this initial reveal. How about we wait and see? You're basing your assumptions on nothing.

Nintendo's last new fighting game, Pokken, had 16 characters. The first Smash had 12.

These are fine amounts and if ARMS is in that ballpark then that's great.

SFV, the newest SF, also started with 16.

Top Bottom