• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Iced

an SD Card alone can do everything for nintendont. that's how i set it up on Wii U to avoid all the HDD problems.
just format it properly to FAT32 and name your folders properly and it should work.
Class 10 works well. the Wii U'd reader doesn't benefit from faster cards anyway.

What sort of HDD problems exist? Is this just for Wii U? I have a 320GB drive hooked up to my Wii that I just recently put a bunch of GC games on. I've never had issues with the Wii games on there. Hoping it will be the same for GC games!

Iced

Having an issue with Nintendont using a softmodded Wii. At least, I think it's an issue with Nintendont. The analog sticks are not working properly. Instead of being true analog movement, it's as if there are 5 stages of digital movement. I move the sticks very slowly and you can see on screen when it has reached the next "stage". I've tested this in Spiderman 2, Timesplitters 2 & 3, and Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. Tested on both a classic controller and classic controller pro. Has anyone else experienced this?

SURGEdude

Having an issue with Nintendont using a softmodded Wii. At least, I think it's an issue with Nintendont. The analog sticks are not working properly. Instead of being true analog movement, it's as if there are 5 stages of digital movement. I move the sticks very slowly and you can see on screen when it has reached the next "stage". I've tested this in Spiderman 2, Timesplitters 2 & 3, and Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. Tested on both a classic controller and classic controller pro. Has anyone else experienced this?

That's a strange bug. Perhaps try a different build of Nintendont?

finley83

Banned

I have the same issue, however it doesn't seem to affect all games as far as I can tell. Timesplitters 2 definitely suffers from it, however I didn't notice it in TS3 (PAL version).

I don't think it's an issue with Nintendon't as I also experienced it using Devolution.

shanafan

Could someone please link me a good guide to installer a forwarder on the Wii menu?

From the GCN thread, I didn't realize there was a GCN boot animation with the Nintendon't forwarder.

EDIT: Found it on GBAtemp ;)

shanafan

Man, what a week for Nintendon't for me. Added the forwarder, and have the GCN bios loaded as well. Love how I can access the GCN menu before booting a game.

Anything else that I missing from this awesome app? ;)

Samemind

I've been looking for a little while and can't find an answer:

am I able to avoid having to switch controllers constantly when switching between gamecube games? I haven't figured out how to use either the Pro Controller or gamecube controller to control the homebrew channel.

Timu

I need to start using this more...gonna start now and simply do just about all my gamecube gameplay/playthroughs on it for youtube.

shanafan

I've been looking for a little while and can't find an answer:

am I able to avoid having to switch controllers constantly when switching between gamecube games? I haven't figured out how to use either the Pro Controller or gamecube controller to control the homebrew channel.

I may be mistaken, but I do not believe the Homebrew Channel supports those controllers.

A good alternative would be to install the Nintendon't forwarder on vWii so you can boot right into Nintendon't by skipping the Homebrew Channel.

Samemind

I may be mistaken, but I do not believe the Homebrew Channel supports those controllers.

A good alternative would be to install the Nintendon't forwarder on vWii so you can boot right into Nintendon't by skipping the Homebrew Channel.

Well, I was able to find and install a forwarder channel, but exiting a gamecube game brings me to the wii home menu, so it seems to give me roughly the same results as before.

Hey guys, quick question:

Has anyone here had experience with Nintendont and Mega Man X Collection? I ripped the game (and the rest of my GC collection) years ago through a regular Gamecube and the PSO Ep1&2 server homebrew trick.

I've read mixed things about the game running well on modern TVs (and if the game can be played in anything but 240p) and I really would like to get a definite answer. I'm worried that I'll spend money on a Wiimote and Lego Batman in vain.

EDIT: If anyone else sees this, Megaman X Collection outputs at 480i on the Wii U, with no way to make it progressive.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Urgh, this is driving me crazy... I managed to use Wiiflow to get a nice menu to select my GC games, but they always start in 4:3 even for games that support 16:9... It doesn't do that when I start games from Nintendont directly, and changing settings in Wiiflow doesn't seem to work either... Anyone managed to get this working?

Urgh, this is driving me crazy... I managed to use Wiiflow to get a nice menu to select my GC games, but they always start in 4:3 even for games that support 16:9... It doesn't do that when I start games from Nintendont directly, and changing settings in Wiiflow doesn't seem to work either... Anyone managed to get this working?
IIRC I had to install a special forwarder for my launcher to get wide-screen to behave.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
IIRC I had to install a special forwarder for my launcher to get wide-screen to behave.

But Wii games in Wiiflow launch in 16:9 just fine, and if I start Nintendont from its own forwarder or from the Homebrew channel, 16:9 works fine too... I'm confused. I guess I can just start my GC games from the Nintendont forwarder, but I liked the fancy 3D covers. :(

I'm assuming you're on Wii U?

There's a separate app you'll need to install that, when activated from Homebrew Channel, will reload Homebrew Channel in Widescreen. This will fix your problem, as long as you use it every time before loading Wiiflow.

It's called something along the lines of "Wii U Aspect Ratio Fix".

Far from perfect, and rather cumbersome, but it'll do the job.

EDIT: Oh wait, Wii games load correctly? I'm not sure if it'll help then.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I'm assuming you're on Wii U?

There's a separate app you'll need to install that, when activated from Homebrew Channel, will reload Homebrew Channel in Widescreen. This will fix your problem, as long as you use it every time before loading Wiiflow.

It's called something along the lines of "Wii U Aspect Ratio Fix".

Far from perfect, and rather cumbersome, but it'll do the job.

EDIT: Oh wait, Wii games load correctly? I'm not sure if it'll help then.

Yeah, Wiiflow's menu and Wii games launched from it are in 16:9. It's no big deal really, I just need to stop being OCD about this type of thing and just start Nintendont directly.

By the way, Rich has been banned again? I hope it's not permanent, he's my #1 source for homebrew Nintendo stuff!

Madao

What sort of HDD problems exist? Is this just for Wii U? I have a 320GB drive hooked up to my Wii that I just recently put a bunch of GC games on. I've never had issues with the Wii games on there. Hoping it will be the same for GC games!

on a Wii U, if you have an HDD plugged that isn't formatted for Wii U use, it will try to format it each time you boot it up.
since the Wii U doesn't use SD cards for games, it never asks to format it if your SD card is customized in any way, which makes Nintendont stuff safe to put there.
you can also use a Wii U-dedicated HDD at the same time without anything nagging in the place.
that's the only thing about it.

GWX

Haven't used Nintendont in two months or so, I opened it to enjoy some Mario Strikers action with friends, and... my saves, where are they :( I have a backup from like a year ago, which is not good enough in the slightest. I should backup stuff more.

alf717

Been using this on the Wii and I like the force 480P feature. Codes are a nice touch as well. Currently using a button swap code for the Mega Man Anniversary Collection. Plays nice with a classic controller. Gonna have to pick up the Wii U version some day. I like how when you press the "-" (minus) button it does a swap and you get SNES style button layout.

Cikay

Has anyone succesfully run Baten Kaitos in widescreen with Nintendont ?

For me the game is only stretched in 16:9... but it says in the compatibility list that widescreen should work.

Chopper

Oh man. I literally only just realized that I can, in theory, play Gamecube games on my Wii U.

2 questions:

I am a complete noob, and have never modded anything in my life. Even the OP seems a bit daunting. I don't own a PC. Is this gonna be difficult?

Can I play Gamecube games from another region?!

Robin64

I am a complete noob, and have never modded anything in my life. Even the OP seems a bit daunting. I don't own a PC. Is this gonna be difficult?

Can I play Gamecube games from another region?!

You own a Mac though, right? It's just file copying, so you'll be fine. Just be aware that sometimes Macs copy over weird extra files that some stuff doesn't play well with. Not sure if Nintendont is one of those things, but keep in mind.

And yes, it's fully region free.

Chopper

You own a Mac though, right? It's just file copying, so you'll be fine. Just be aware that sometimes Macs copy over weird extra files that some stuff doesn't play well with. Not sure if Nintendont is one of those things, but keep in mind.

And yes, it's fully region free.
I do not. I literally only use my iPad/phone nowadays. I could blag access to a PC though.

I'm thinking of putting Homebrew and Nintendon't on my Wii U, I want to play a bunch of my old GameCube games without having to actually set up my GameCube (plus it'd be nice to see them in widescreen and "HD") but I have some questions:

1) Can I play from my discs or do I have to rip them all into ISOs?

2) The guide in the OP says you have to use a 2GB or less SD card. Is that for real? I don't think I have anything less than 4GB and.. do they even still sell SD cards that small? Can I use a bigger card, or would... partitioning the SD card with a 2GB partition work?

3) More of a general question but do the games run any better at all? I see you can force Progressive and Widescreen but does it help with any framerate issues or anything?

I'm thinking of putting Homebrew and Nintendon't on my Wii U, I want to play a bunch of my old GameCube games without having to actually set up my GameCube (plus it'd be nice to see them in widescreen and "HD") but I have some questions:

1) Can I play from my discs or do I have to rip them all into ISOs?

2) The guide in the OP says you have to use a 2GB or less SD card. Is that for real? I don't think I have anything less than 4GB and.. do they even still sell SD cards that small? Can I use a bigger card, or would... partitioning the SD card with a 2GB partition work?

3) More of a general question but do the games run any better at all? I see you can force Progressive and Widescreen but does it help with any framerate issues or anything?

1) Have to rip them, and the Wii U can't read Gamecube discs so you need a Wii for that.

2) Yeah it needs to be 2GB (or less). More precisely it needs to be a regular SD card, not SDHC or SDXC. But that's only for the initial hack, after that you can switch to a bigger one. Try asking around if you could borrow one for a day. I think I had one in my 3DS..

3) Not sure about this, I'd assume there's no noticeable difference. Maybe on load times?

1) Have to rip them, and the Wii U can't read Gamecube discs so you need a Wii for that.

2) Yeah it needs to be 2GB (or less). More precisely it needs to be a regular SD card, not SDHC or SDXC. But that's only for the initial hack, after that you can switch to a bigger one. Try asking around if you could borrow one for a day. I think I had one in my 3DS..

3) Not sure about this, I'd assume there's no noticeable difference. Maybe on load times?

Well shit. I have a 2GB SD card that came with my original 3DS but I have no idea where it is. I eventually upgraded to an XL and have since gone from the 4GB to 16GB to 32GB, so the 2GB card is from loooooong ago. Hopefully I can find it because for some reason 2GB cards are more expensive than some 8 or 16GB cards I've seen, wtf?

shanafan

When you have everything setup, you can use a USB stick to put the homebrew apps and ISOs on. I use a Sandisk 128GB flash stick to hold all of my GameCube ISOs and apps.

When you have everything setup, you can use a USB stick to put the homebrew apps and ISOs on. I use a Sandisk 128GB flash stick to hold all of my GameCube ISOs and apps.

so, wait, once it is installed, I just copy the content to another with bigger capacity and that's it?

also, no problems if I do this with a chromebook I assume?

televator

Speaking from my experience of Metal Arms, it works the same way on Xbox. It's probably just a lazy map of digital movement on analog sticks.
Haven't used Nintendont in two months or so, I opened it to enjoy some Mario Strikers action with friends, and... my saves, where are they :( I have a backup from like a year ago, which is not good enough in the slightest. I should backup stuff more.

Flash memory degradation is real.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so I've got this installed on my Wii now, and I'm confused about the aspect ratio

My Wii is set to 16:9, but Nintendont is displaying in some ratio between 16:9 and 4:3. 16: 10 maybe? I'm not sure what settings I'd have to mess with in order to get the games looking as they should.

I would prefer either the original aspect ratio or a widescreen solution that doesn't stretch the picture, but I'm not sure how to get there.

Joey Ravn

Banned
so I've got this installed on my Wii now, and I'm confused about the aspect ratio

My Wii is set to 16:9, but Nintendont is displaying in some ratio between 16:9 and 4:3. 16: 10 maybe? I'm not sure what settings I'd have to mess with in order to get the games looking as they should.

I would prefer either the original aspect ratio or a widescreen solution that doesn't stretch the picture, but I'm not sure how to get there.

IIRC, Nintendont "inherits" the aspect ratio of the Homebrew Channel. So if you're using the most popular, regular 4:3 forwarder, then Nintendont will be in 4:3. You'd have to use a 16:9 forwarder, which, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't as common for the vWii as it was for the Wii. I may be wrong, though.

That being said, I'd recommend not using Nintendont itself as the loader for GC games. I'd install a Wii loader and launch GC games from there. I use USB Loader GX and it's great. You can tweak every Nintendont setting from within it and it's much prettier than the boring text list of Nintendont. I've never had any aspect ratio issues with USBLGX.

Elitist1945

Sorry for a bump, and sorry if I misread the OP/other posts and misunderstood, but:

If I were to go buy a Wii U right now, would I be able to do this? As in, do I have to also own a Wii (which I don't) to unload files? Does the Wii U read GC discs?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sorry for a bump, and sorry if I misread the OP/other posts and misunderstood, but:

If I were to go buy a Wii U right now, would I be able to do this? As in, do I have to also own a Wii (which I don't) to unload files? Does the Wii U read GC discs?
Unfortunately no. A Wii can rip GameCube discs, but a Wii U can't.

Would be pretty easy/cheap to acquire a Wii as well, though, just for ripping purposes. Just be sure it has GameCube controller ports. They took them off later Wiis, and I wouldn't expect to be able to rip GC games off those ones either.

Unfortunately no. A Wii can rip GameCube discs, but a Wii U can't.

Would be pretty easy/cheap to acquire a Wii as well, though, just for ripping purposes. Just be sure it has GameCube controller ports. They took them off later Wiis, and I wouldn't expect to be able to rip GC games off those ones either.

Those later ones also can't do awesome shitlike 240p over component. Avoid.

So here I come with a doubt:

I've been traying to play a game in particular, Startfox Adventures. From what I have read, this is one of those games that use audio streaming, something that was implemented on Nintendont some time ago. The issue is that whenever there are dialogs, a lot of noise comes out along with the voice, and another game has given me the same issue.

Any ideas? I've been looking at the config options, but I don't see a lot. I'm using it on a wii and loading from a normal usb drive.

I can't find my 2GB SD card to save my life it seems. Is it possible to just format an SD card with a 2GB partition and put all the necessary files on that? I'll keep looking and I'm not in any huge rush so hopefully I'll find my 2GB card but if not hopefully the partition thing might work

I think it's more the type of card (original SD, not SDHC or SDXC, etc) rather than the specific size of the card.

4GB original SD will also work if you put 2GB of junk on there after formatting.

I think it's more the type of card (original SD, not SDHC or SDXC, etc) rather than the specific size of the card.

4GB original SD will also work if you put 2GB of junk on there after formatting.

Ooooh I see I see. Well, shit. I guess I just have to keep looking. The 4GB card I have is SDHC ):

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I think by definition, an SD card bigger than 2GB is an SDHC?

0%

there's a reason Nintendo completely walled off Wii mode. It's unfixable and unpatchable.

for the initial brawl hack, it must be 2gb or less. after that, it can be anything. I use a 32gb Micro SD in an adapter.

oh nice i have a 64 gb micro sdhc in a sd adapter

so basically just run the normal exploit with a normal 2gb SD card to load and install the homebrew with the game (lego batman example) for the first time THEN move everything to my 64gb micro sdhc/SD adapter after?

b4mv

Banned
Hey guys,

I have a question about storage for Nintendont.
I've been working on ripping all of my gamecube games to be playable on my Wii U, and I was curious what storage is the best way to go.

I currently have my ~50 games loaded on a 320GB HDD, but It's a very old 5400RPM 2.0 USB drive, and I don't have a y-splitter cable. I also don't really know if I like the idea of always having both USB ports in the back of the Wii U taken up.

Does anyone have experience with a 128 GB flash drive used for Nintendont? I'm seeing that I can get one on Amazon for $25, and since I'd have to spend $6 on a y-splitter anyway, I'm wondering if I'd be better off that way. My entire collection is around 75GB, so a 128 GB drive is perfect, and even leaves me room for growth.

Thanks for any help!

Top Bottom