• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW World |OT| Like the WWE Network, but better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does NJPW have the rights to UWF-i's video library? I thought they did some cross promotions.

Nope, I'm not sure who owns the rights but it isn't New Japan - there's a bunch of the matches from the UWF & UWFi feuds on NJPW World, but only ones from New Japan promoted events.

Also is there no Lesnar matches? Is NJPW adding stuff as they go along or are there matches they aren't allowed to show any more?

No Lesnar matches at present. I don't think it's an issue of being allowed to show those matches, but more that they don't want to promote guys active for other promotions like IGF & WWE.

Ugh... Jarrett is in NJPW now.

I get the feeling it's the beginning of Pride vs UFC 2 except it's NJPW vs WWE this time around. One could only hope at least because the fans win in the end.

So is Okada vs. Tanahashi all that JR is hyping it up to be?

Why on earth would the WWE be worried about NJPW? JR himself repeatedly says WWE has no competition

liger05

Anyone know if I can watch WK9 on Roku? I don't have cable and I'd hate to watch this on my cracked computer screen

(Also say AJ Styles let me hold the IWGP Heavyweight Championship in my hands at ROH Field of Honor. Markout moment of my life)

If you buy the ppv you can watch via the flipps app and chromecast it to TV.

Just subbed to this thing and I'm now watching a YeaOh! Holiday with Shinsuke Nakamura where he looks at the beach, drinks from a well, and buys pastry crisps from a stand, eats it, and uses some the residue to make it look like he has missing teeth.

I,for one, am entertained by this.

SHarris78

Has anyone from the UK subscribed and did the payment go through ok? I ask because when buying things from overseas my payment is usually declined and I need to phone my bank to tell them its ok (its a fraud / safety thing).

I'm in the States, and the charge is still pending. I'll probably have to phone to authorize the charge. I'm assuming that I can't even log in until the charge is authorized, correct?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I never have to worry about Auto-Renew as my fucking bank declines any purchase from them without calling ahead of time. That's pretty fucking great. Thank god they're open today, or I'd be FUCKED on Wrassle Kangdom.

Nuklear

Banned
I just want to say watching the preview show is that this is PRO WRESTLING and not sports entertainment. I love it so much already! I can't wait to watch!

Jebusman

Banned
Working night shift for a telco/ISP is the best. Free PPV and I'm going to be awake anyway.

If this turns out to be as entertaining as I hope it'll be, I'll have to really consider this NJPW World subscription.

ghostmind

Wrestle Kingdom 9 was a great success for NJPWworld. A completely buffer-free experience for me on "high quality". It puts the old USTREAM days to shame.

Looking forward to seeing which events will be covered by the service for 2015, especially when it comes to the G1 tournament.

Yeah, I was very impressed with how well the NJPW World stream held up - no buffering on my end and I never once had to switch down to the HQ feed. I think the 'live' portion of NJPW World has been a complete success and, while the archive stuff is awesome and there's already a ton of it, it remains to be seen how much or how often New Japan will upload archive content.

Anywho, New Year's Dash from Korakuen Hall is being streamed live tomorrow;

fI3Yl5V.jpg

Just once match confirmed so far;

. NWA World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Jushin 'Thunder' Liger (c) vs El Desperado

The show kicks off at 18:30 JST | 10:30 CET | 09:30 GMT | 4:30 EST | 1:30 PST

beanman25

Still stoked about this show after some hours of sleep. Going to be a little slow today, but it was absolutely worth it.

shaowebb

Yeah, I was very impressed with how well the NJPW World stream held up - no buffering on my end and I never once had to switch down to the HQ feed. I think the 'live' portion of NJPW World has been a complete success and, while the archive stuff is awesome and there's already a ton of it, it remains to be seen how much or how often New Japan will upload archive content.

Anywho, New Year's Dash from Korakuen Hall is being streamed live tomorrow;

fI3Yl5V.jpg

Just once match confirmed so far;

. NWA World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Jushin 'Thunder' Liger (c) vs El Desperado

The show kicks off at 18:30 JST | 10:30 CET | 09:30 GMT | 4:30 EST | 1:30 PST

Shit that should be good. El Desperado is a like a mix of Ric Flair heal and Rob Van Dam splits touched on with a little bit of Super Dragon style violent lucha themes. This will work well with Jushin Liger who does really good matches when he has a clear heals to play face off of. Its been a good gimmick for Kyosuke Mikami as El Desperado. He needs to speed it up a bit though out there.

Shit that should be good. El Desperado is a like a mix of Ric Flair heal and Rob Van Dam splits touched on with a little bit of Super Dragon style violent lucha themes. This will work well with Jushin Liger who does really good matches when he has a clear heals to play face off of. Its been a good gimmick for Kyosuke Mikami as El Desperado. He needs to speed it up a bit though out there.

I think part of the reason they put him with Suzuki-gun was to slow him down a bit - when he returned from CMLL he was very exciting to watch, but he was all over the place and I don't think they were too keen on him nearly killing BUSHI a few times with the original version of his finisher and his crazy-ass tope con hilo's that sent him rows deep into the crowd. The match with Liger will be a good test to see how he's progressed, as he didn't have a particularly memorable showing in the Best of the Super Jr's last year. Definitely looking forward to seeing how he does and if this develops into a bigger feud (the original idea behind El Desperado was for him to be the replacement for Liger, who's been considering retirement for a year or two).

ghostmind

RV333QD.jpg

FANTASTICA MANIA 2015 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo
January 18th @ 18:30 JST | 10:30 CET | 09:30 GMT | 4:30 EST | 1:30 PST

Tag Match: KUSHIDA, Tiger Mask, Jushin Thunder Liger & Stuka Jr. vs Gedo, YOSHI-HASHI, Tomohiro Ishii & Okumura

Tag Match: Captain New Japan & Triton vs Rysuke Taguchi & Tetsuya Naito

Tag Match: Stigma & Ángel de Oro vs Gran Guerrero & Mephisto

Special Single Match: Rey Cometa vs Barbaro Cavernario

Special Single Match: Mistico vs Pólvora

Special 8 Man Tag Match: Kota Ibushi, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Volador Jr. & Atlantis vs Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Mr. Niebla & Ultimo Guerrero

Special Single Match: Mascara Dorada vs La Sombra

ghostmind

k0BMXZe.jpg

FANTASTICA MANIA 2015 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo
January 19th @ 18:30 JST | 10:30 CET | 09:30 GMT | 4:30 EST | 1:30 PST

Tag Match: Tiger Mask, Jushin Thunder Liger & Ángel de Oro vs Gedo, YOSHI-HASHI & Tomohiro Ishii

Tag Match: KUSHIDA, Triton & Rey Cometa vs Okumura, Barbaro Cavernario & Mr. Niebla

Tag Match: Captain New Japan, Mascara Don & Mascara Dorada vs Rysuke Taguchi, Tetsuya Naito & La Sombra

NWA World Historic Middleweight Championship Match: Volador Jr. (c) vs Gran Guerrero

Mexican National Light Heavyweight Championship Match: Stuka Jr. vs Mephisto (c)

Black Cat Memorial Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Stigma & Mistico vs Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Pólvora

Legend Confrontation Special Single Match: Atlantis vs Ultimo Guerrero

tm24

Man, such a weak fantasticamania lineup. Sombra vs Dorada is gonna be weird for a first time matchup, but Sombra will win. Hopefully it will be good. Atlantis vs UG will be such a lazy match

Some of those tag matches look fun, but I'm disappointed in the lack of NJ vs CMLL singles matches. I mean, Dorada vs Ibushi. C'mon!! And no Fuego makes me sad - the Japanese crowd seemed to take to him well.

Also, partial cards for the New Beginning shows - lots of rematches;

NJPW, "THE NEW BEGINNING IN OSAKA", 2014/02/11

. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs AJ Styles
. IWGP Tag Team Titles: Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata vs Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows
. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kenny Omega (c) vs Ryusuke Taguchi
. IWGP Jr. Tag Team Titles: reDRagon (c) vs Time Splitters vs The Young Bucks

NJPW, "THE NEW BEGINNING IN SENDAI", 2014/02/14

. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Yuji Nagata
. NEVER Openweight Title: Togi Makabe (c) vs Tomohiro Ishii
. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Rob Conway (c) vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan
. NWA World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Jushin 'Thunder' Liger (c) vs Chase Owens

Looks like the Sendai show will be streamed live on NJPW World, while the Osaka show will be on tape delay.

of fucking course Ishii is still wrestling

Neither card is particularly exciting to me though they should be good, especially Nak/Nagata. Surely AJ isn't gonna lose a third time to Tanahashi, though?

Yeah, I've gotta guess AJ wins the title back here - this also fits into my plan to do Ibushi vs Okada at the NJ Cup finals. If Ibushi wins, he challenges for Nak's IC title at Invasion Attack, if Okada wins he challenges for AJ's IWGP title at Invasion Attack. I'd probably go with Ibushi, but it depends on how long they're going to draw out this Sad Okada storyline.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm hoping Okada doesn't get his mojo back until the G1, with Styles being so over right now and the Bullet Club still going strong as far as merch and overness goes, I'd like to see them keeping the title on AJ all the way to next years Wrestle Kingdom for Okada vs. AJ for that big face win. They can have Okada in a program with Tanahashi between the G1 and WKX and put him over there strong.

Though it would mean a third G1 win for Okada, not sure if they want to go there again, but that's how I would book it to maximize hype for next years Dome show.

Aiii

So not worth it
From this weeks Observer:
Before the Tokyo Dome show, New Japan World had 1,000 subscribers from the U.S. Apparently in Japan they are not getting older subscribers even though all the historical content would in theory appeal to older fans. It’s a generation that isn’t into watching a subscription service on the Internet, or it’s something they grew out of, because the 80s New Japan fan base was gigantic, really triple or more the current U.S. fan base in a country with way less than half the population. They were probably in the 10,000 range in Japan before the expected big ramp up this past week for the Tokyo Dome show, and the hoped for number was 40,000.

They are working at having English language broadcasts on the network and at least one person is in conversations about it.

New Japan has been working hard to get its content off the Internet. From what I’m told, they’ve been working with Daily Motion to keep all of their new content off, since it’s on their own streaming service. I was told it used to be easy to find all of their stuff through multiple sources and Daily Motion does still have older stuff. They are also policing Yahoo.

All Japan have partnered with Actvila, Japan's no.1 media streaming portal; http://actvila.jp and their service launches on January 11th, but it sounds like it will be for live shows mostly and the archive stuff will only extend to the beginning of the Akiyama era (last June). Also, no idea yet if it works outside of Japan or what it'll cost.

All Japan have partnered with Actvila, Japan's no.1 media streaming portal; http://actvila.jp and their service launches on January 11th, but it sounds like it will be for live shows mostly and the archive stuff will only extend to the beginning of the Akiyama era (last June). Also, no idea yet if it works outside of Japan or what it'll cost.
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

All of this is great news. Really want to watch some older NJPW. The sooner it gets up, the better. Same with AJPW as well. I wonder if NOAH will piggyback off of NJPWWorld.

Aiii

So not worth it
All of this is great news. Really want to watch some older NJPW. The sooner it gets up, the better. Same with AJPW as well. I wonder if NOAH will piggyback off of NJPWWorld.

Meltzer mentioned in this weeks F4W that New Japan is either bankrolling the orginization or silently took a controlling interest in it, so fingers crossed that NOAH stuff is going to be popping up sooner rather than later.

Some of those tag matches look fun, but I'm disappointed in the lack of NJ vs CMLL singles matches. I mean, Dorada vs Ibushi. C'mon!! And no Fuego makes me sad - the Japanese crowd seemed to take to him well.

Also, partial cards for the New Beginning shows - lots of rematches;

NJPW, "THE NEW BEGINNING IN OSAKA", 2014/02/11

. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs AJ Styles
. IWGP Tag Team Titles: Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata vs Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows
. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kenny Omega (c) vs Ryusuke Taguchi
. IWGP Jr. Tag Team Titles: reDRagon (c) vs Time Splitters vs The Young Bucks

NJPW, "THE NEW BEGINNING IN SENDAI", 2014/02/14

. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Yuji Nagata
. NEVER Openweight Title: Togi Makabe (c) vs Tomohiro Ishii
. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Rob Conway (c) vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan
. NWA World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Jushin 'Thunder' Liger (c) vs Chase Owens

Looks like the Sendai show will be streamed live on NJPW World, while the Osaka show will be on tape delay.

I'm a bit surprised Chase Owens is getting his rematch, signs pointed to Tiger Mask getting the next shot, but with Conway's return I guess they had to have another excuse to have more BRUCE THARPE DES~

Anyway, in Osaka, I do think AJ finally gets his win over Tanahashi, but I don't think he goes against Okada right away. I think there's many more opponents he can face, maybe another match with Naito, maybe a match with Ibushi (WHICH WOULD FUCKING OWN), I think we get Emokada for a few more shows until either Wrestling Dontaku or KOPW, when he comes back and wins the title. However, Tanahashi wins the G1, leading to Okada vs. Tanahashi, this time with Okada as champ, at WKX, and THIS is where Okada finaly surpasses Tana-chan.

As for the rematches, no way any of the defending champs lose in their first defense, especially with Ishii's shoulder being borked as fuck. Swagsuke should beat Nagata because, really, nobody other than Ibushi or maybe Naito is taking that belt from him.

As for the NWA title matches, Liger should beat Owens again, while I'm thinking Tenzan beats Conway for the title. This could lead back into the teased Tenkoji breakup, giving us Tenzan vs. Kojima for the NWA title.

Grifter

Ugh, not more Rob Conway.

Signed up for WK9 and my first order of business is watching all their Bobby Fish.

Wait... do I need to find a proper translation of "redragon" to search that?

Meltzer mentioned in this weeks F4W that New Japan is either bankrolling the orginization or silently took a controlling interest in it, so fingers crossed that NOAH stuff is going to be popping up sooner rather than later.

good news to hear

Is there a way to get all the shows for an event? Would like to watch for example, Day 4 of the G1 or an older Wrestle Kingdom.

Hex

Banned
Does anyone know if a subbed version of NJPW Documentary ♯6 exists? Even fansubbed? Watching New Inspiration and really want to get the most out of it.

Foffy

Banned

Wut? That would be crazy. A little bit of an oddity that New Japan would have a hand in a splinter to All Japan, with the two splinters of New Japan being totally ignored (Zero1 and IGF, though IGF is rightly ignored).

There's been some recent aditions to the archives on NJPW World, including the first joshi match on the service and the only meeting of Ric Flair and Antonio Inoki;

strobogo

Banned
Kensuke Sasaki vs Tenryu from the 2000 Dome show was a blast. They knocked the dog shit out of each other. Like 90% of the chops from both dudes were right in the throat. They start throwing just straight punches at each other for a while. Then sumo slapping each other in the face. It's "Fuck you, I'm going to punch your face" the match. Just wonderful.

So hateful, so stiff, so grumpy.

Grifter

Impressive, NJPW graphics have managed to mangle Kyle O'Reilly's spelling at each of the 3 appearances I've seen, in different ways.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if NJPW World has any sort of "recent additions" bot or anything comparable:?

Not as far as I'm aware - I thought about writing one, but have no idea what I'm doing. The best way I've found is to check the tags for each decade, as new additions get added to the end of the list at first. Also, remembering how many matches are available in each decade makes it easy to see when something's been added at a glance.

They really need a 'recently added' page. If only yottsume was active on the net at the moment, I'd ask him to translate for me so I could email NJPW World a whole bunch of suggestions and requests.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Odml0FQ.png

Watched Masa Saito vs Larry Zbyszko from a show in Feb of 1990 for the 1000/1 Project - I've always really liked Saito, because he's so big and looks...well, blustery. I've always been a fan of Larry as well so I thought this might be a good match to watch. This was apparently for the AWA World Heavyweight Championship that Zbyszko had at the time.

It's right up my alley. It definitely feels like some AWA shit. A lot of grappling, slow grappling and submission attempts which was really both of their forte, and they do make it look good. Some real quick transitions and I really enjoy it, but I realize this style isn't for that many others, so be warned. Saito locks in what looks like a kneeling figure four, and eventually Zbyszko counters with something I couldn't put my finger on (almost Brock Lock-esque) before Saito starts working on Larry's legs in earnest. Very few strikes until the end. Hot finish, however, once Saito starts exploiting Zbyszko's worked over legs. Love hearing the crowd get hot for Saito's suplexes, and it erupts when Saito hulks up against's Zbyszko's strikes.

Thumbs up despite the slow start. Really enjoyed this.

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00090_1_6

Don't read this spoiler until you finish the match

Saito wins and the place goes fucking NUTS. I love it.

The first of the two live Fantasticamania shows starts in just under 40 minutes, here's the card;

NJPW, "FANTASTICAMANIA - DAY 5", 2015.01.18
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI & Gedo vs. Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask & Ángel de Oro
2. Rey Cometa, Tritón & KUSHIDA vs. OKUMURA, Mr. Niebla & El Barbaro Cavernario
3. Tetsuya Naito, Ryusuke Taguchi & La Sombra vs. Máscara Don, Máscara Dorada & Captain New Japan
4. NWA World Historic Middleweight Title: Volador Jr. (c) vs. Gran Guerrero
5. National Light Heavyweight Title: Mephisto (c) vs. Stuka Jr.
6. Black Cat Memorial Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Mistico II & Stigma vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada & Polvora
7. Special Singles Match: Atlantis vs. Ultimo Guerrero

Aiii

So not worth it
They appear to have a new Live player, that's nice, seems to be working okay. Gonna watch most of the event later, but lol:
screenshot2015-01-18anzuur.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom