• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mafia III Review Copies Ahead of Launch

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just got the game yesterday mid-day. Did you expect me to polish the entire thing off in a few hours? I need sleep and food occasionally. Frankly, I have no clue how ThisGenGaming has a review up unless they reviewed prior to finishing the critical path. (Which some do! It's a valid style.)

(I'm the reviewer for USgamer, by the by.)
Heh, I know how you feel.

Honestly, even if someone blasted through the critical path, that's not likely to be a quick task in a game like this. Playing through the entire game and then writing up a review in such a short window is insanely difficult. Keeping up that pace over long periods of time is not healthy either.

oti

Banned
Sounds like I will definitely play this game eventually. Loved Mafia II but I'm not in the mood for this right now.

Ha - I had a car 'stall' constantly and never start in a story mission where I had to drive someone around. I had to exit it and then go back in. Almost felt like a feature but it was definitely a bug.

This game is so, so solid underneath everything but the technical issues - between stuff like that, the clipping animations and the glitched out rain effects/weather transitions, it clearly needed another 3 months of polish. 2K should have had more faith in their team and delayed it. For a first title from that Studio, it's real impressive.

When it happened to me, I was like, "Is this cause simulation driving is on?" I sat there for a good min trying to get it to run, then just got out of the car and back in and it worked lol

Kazuhira

It's funny because they previously had this on the Steam page and had Youtuber's playing the game early, although that's common with most games the fact of the matter is that this is really scummy of the publisher 2K

CsArFYwWIAAlop4.jpg:large

Really,TheRadBrad? i've used to watch him all the time a few years ago but he has become such a sellout now.
Dude is a terrible player too,barely puts any attention and rushes through all of his game to be the first one to finish it.

I can see why no review copies went out, played for a few hours today on PS4 and its pretty average game. Visually its awful, looks like a PS3 game textures and effects wise, nothing is crisp like Deus Ex MD or other recent games I have played - faces look terrible, lighting is all over the place, jaggies everywhere, so many surfaces with cheap textures, etc.

I don't know how driving cars has gone backwards from Mafia 2, the cars all just "feel wrong" with too good traction and brakes, especially for the time period. Story is just ok, instead of letting players get the story through action its cutscene'd heavily and I find myself getting super bored with so many cut scenes - fortunately none of them drag on forever.

After 3-4 hours I find myself wanting to go just do PVP in Destiny or COD instead of continuing the story, which isn't great. For games like Deus Ex or even Quantum Break I wanted to keep playing to get more story, that is totally not happening here.

Audio is A++ though, all the music has been fantastic so far.

Karak

I can see why no review copies went out, played for a few hours today on PS4 and its pretty average game.
Its the first time in my 3 years reviewing that I can remember that a group of us got together and discussed retail sources and how to handle them to make sure someone had some coverage...some fucking where.

Shiggy

Looks like you can infer quite a lot after all when a major publisher does not provide review copies before release.

I can see why no review copies went out, played for a few hours today on PS4 and its pretty average game. Visually its awful, looks like a PS3 game textures and effects wise, nothing is crisp like Deus Ex MD or other recent games I have played - faces look terrible, lighting is all over the place, jaggies everywhere, so many surfaces with cheap textures, etc.

I don't think it's quite as bad as you make it sound. I've been enjoying it. Certainly nowhere near what I expected given the decision not to send out review copies. It's not really guilty of anything in the textures department that GTA V wasn't. You really can't compare something with a comparatively small game world like Deus Ex to a more open-world game like this. The bigger the game world is, the more thinly the available resources are going to be spread. That's the way it's always been.

JPS Kai

No review copies at launch, but at least every Gamestop employee got a free copy.

Last game I got for free that wasn't from the store manager's conference was The Witcher III. Coincidence?

Dalibor68

Banned
Regardless of reviews, I was buying this game regardless so I pre-ordered the deluxe edition yesterday. For $54 GCU, how can I say no when im super hyped and excited for the game?

I always see people complaining about pre-ordering games but if it's a game that you're going to eventually buy anyway 100% and you can get it cheaper by pre-ordering (Best Buy GCU plus $10 pre-order reward cert), why wouldn't you?

90+ metacritic baby!!!! :)

Has nothing to do with money or time. If you're interested in playing a game, why would any review sway you one way or the other? Mafia III could get 0/10 from EVERYONE and I still would pick it up next Friday and play through it. Gamers put way too much stock into reviews as if those people reviewing the games are the so called experts. They're not. Half the time, games either get overrated or get a free pass or on the flip side, are underrated because of some stupid dumb ass reasons despite the overrated games doing the exact same thing yet get a free pass.

Seriously, fuck reviews.

So, about that...

I hope people take this as an example as to not preorder games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, about that...

I hope people take this as an example as to not preorder games.

To be fair, he does seem to have realised, albeit begrudgingly, that operating solely under blind faith isn't terribly wise:

The bigger surprise is that the game wasn't delayed. Published by 2K which is under Take Two Interactive which is also the parent company of Rockstar. While Hangar 13 was formed to create AAA open world games and this is their first game, the studio has a lot of veterans who worked on the game and I really thought that with 2K/TTI, the game was going to be better than what it appears to be.

I'll be trading in the game Tuesday for hopefully $44 GCU and since the game cost me $64 (deluxe edition) and I'll be getting the $10 pre-order reward cert, the season pass will only cost me $10. I'll wait until after PS4 PRO to decide if I get it back on Black Friday, wait until 2017 or just sell the season pass and move on.

Will say this though, I played for five hours on PS4 and was enjoying the game. Yeah, it definitely lacks polish but except for the sky and day/night cycle which seems to be fucked up, I didn't have any other technical problems. Main reason im no longer playing the game has more to do with me wanting to wait for PS4 PRO than anything else. Will be doing the same with ROTTR, BF1, TF2, COD:IW and WD2.

Don't think that it's worse than 6-7 though. It's still easily playable and the so called repetitiveness is in every fucking game regardless so that's not a factor for me personally. The story, characters, cut scenes, facial animations, music and locale is what easily carries the game.

Bottom line is that like the majority of games this generation, Mafia III should have been delayed at least six months, maybe longer.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Really,TheRadBrad? i've used to watch him all the time a few years ago but he has become such a sellout now.
Dude is a terrible player too,barely puts any attention and rushes through all of his game to be the first one to finish it.

He's one of the YouTubers I have no problem assigning the word "fake" to. Like, every time I see any of his video, I can't shake this feeling that all of his enthusiasm playing a game are simply just not genuine, can't stand him.

Anyways, the consensus seem like that this game is not that good huh.

Top Bottom