• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

HotHamBoy

Pretty glad I went for the refund on PSN instead of gambling on HG releasing any meaningful content updates.

This game seemed to have so much potential but the real problem is the design of the game itself, not what isn't there. Having seen what's at the center thanks to youtube, and knowing how hard they pushed that goal, I can safely say that this is one of the most cynical games I've ever experienced and I'm glad I got out when I did.

danowat

Banned
This whole thing hasn't made me dislike Hello Games, it's made me dislike gamers and the gaming press.

Whilst I don't agree with the amount of vitriol and anger the whole episode has brought about, I think it's a little odd to abdicate all responsibility from HG and put it squarely on the media and gamers.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Whilst I don't agree with the amount of vitriol and anger the whole episode has brought about, I think it's a little odd to abdicate all responsibility from HG and put it squarely on the media and gamers.

I haven't done that. Hello Games made mistakes and promised things they found they couldn't deliver ... but what I saw and what I'm still seeing is disgusting behaviour from my fellow gamers and the gutter press. Those of us who wanted to discuss the issues rationally and with a modicum of decency where railroaded and even called 'apologists'. I have 'gripes' not 'hatred' in me.

I felt embarrassed and still do.

HotHamBoy

I haven't done that. Hello Games made mistakes and promised things they found they couldn't deliver ... but what I saw and what I'm still seeing is disgusting behaviour from my fellow gamers and the gutter press. Those of us who wanted to discuss the issues rationally and with a modicum of decency where railroaded and even called 'apologists'. I have 'gripes' not 'hatred' in me.

I felt embarrassed and still do.

A lot of the behavior is abhorrent, but it's likewise difficult to levy reasoned criticism against the game without being dismissed as a hater.

I've never been that upset about what the game didn't have. What was aggravating to me was how poorly designed the existing game is.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
A lot of the behavior is abhorrent, but it's likewise difficult to levy reasoned criticism against the game without being dismissed as a hater.

I've never been that upset about what the game didn't have. What was aggravating to me was how poorly designed the existing game is.

Yes, there were things missing but I still like the game. I'm on my fifth galaxy and played for over 100 hours.

edit: I typed a lot more but decided I didn't want to go through this whole thing again. I appreciate your disappointment as I would expect people to appreciate my satisfaction.

Yes, there were things missing but I still like the game. I'm on my fifth galaxy and played for over 100 hours.

edit: I typed a lot more but decided I didn't want to go through this whole thing again. I appreciate your disappointment as I would expect people to appreciate my satisfaction.

The biggest disappointment for me is the glee that many people feel when a big game fails. Even friends of mine were loving all the controversy, hate & bile yet didn't buy it and never had any intention of doing so, so weren't burned by it in the slightest. I bought the game and feel I got my moneys worth from it.

cLOUDo

I can only see a couple of possible outcomes:

• Hello Games are being silent to allow the controversy to blow over, and the next time we hear from them will be to announce they are working on something new.
  • They are working on an extensive expansion/repackage (basically think Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn), in the hopes of salvaging what worked from the vanilla release, and developing it closer to their original vision for the game. (this would not be just DLC though, it would be a way to try and relaunch interest in the game).
Realistically, I think it is a case of them moving on. Despite them selling a shit ton of copies, I think the well has been poisoned by the critical reaction towards the game, and most players have probably moved on. Further developing the game could just be throwing money away, especially if it is small scale DLC.

imagine that 2nd scenario but with a paid DLC
the meltdown will be glorious
lmao

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The biggest disappointment for me is the glee that many people feel when a big game fails. Even friends of mine were loving all the controversy, hate & bile yet didn't buy it and never had any intention of doing so, so weren't burned by it in the slightest. I bought the game and feel I got my moneys worth from it.

I definitely got my money's worth. I'm just hoping all the over the top pressure one man had to endure hasn't put any updates permanently on hold. I want to continue my journey through this incredible 'universe'.

Catdaddy

I can only see a couple of possible outcomes:

• Hello Games are being silent to allow the controversy to blow over, and the next time we hear from them will be to announce they are working on something new.
  • They are working on an extensive expansion/repackage (basically think Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn), in the hopes of salvaging what worked from the vanilla release, and developing it closer to their original vision for the game. (this would not be just DLC though, it would be a way to try and relaunch interest in the game).
Realistically, I think it is a case of them moving on. Despite them selling a shit ton of copies, I think the well has been poisoned by the critical reaction towards the game, and most players have probably moved on. Further developing the game could just be throwing money away, especially if it is small scale DLC.

They will rebrand as "Hi Games".

LOL at anyone thinking there are going to be content updates.

The game is *toxic*. Look at the steam page. It's over. They aren't going to waste their time. If they were going to be trying to somehow fix this they'd be communicating. Please sto being naive.

It's not gonna happen. If you expect a content update you are not living in reality.

I say one more time: it's over. You're living in a fantasy if you are waiting on content updates.

There will never be a content update.

I'm sad for you guys I'd you are expecting content updates. Please don't do this to yourselves. 😑

Welp.

eat-crow.jpg

fester

Banned
I held off purchasing NMS but I was really hoping it would continue receiving updates and patches. With some TLC it could be something great.

Gestault

I'm looking forward to the trickle of reactions to the new changes. I got a lot of enjoyment out of the game design conversations around NMS, and this will be a refresh of that even if the changes fall short of what people expect. Best case scenario? Game gets better. Go, man go.

Good to hear of some movement again and it'll be interesting to see what the update brings. I suspect it's going to be a host of changes to the underlying game that enable them to more easily integrate content and systems and not necessarily much that's visible to us yet. Still, i'm glad to see new updates appear again and interested in where it's going to lead.

L.O.L haven't been in the update thread?

Just came back from it.
Let's just say that it's actually decent now since the more "expressive" people aren't there to shit on HG since the fact that this update exist is a direct counter to their claims.

It's way more calm than expected. People are actually discussing the pro and the con of the base building , some with expectation that it could be .

I personnaly would love to have more things to spend my ressources on.
I would love to have some kind of base to have some respite in case things get too complicated.

I would be able to spend hours and hours wondering again , should they update the galaxy map. I don't know what aspect of the base building this game will take , but the fact that they are acting on what they promised in the day 1 patch notes while still taking feedback is nothing but a good sign.

If they keep up , OT3 is will be reached

Good to hear of some movement again and it'll be interesting to see what the update brings. I suspect it's going to be a host of changes to the underlying game that enable them to more easily integrate content and systems and not necessarily much that's visible to us yet. Still, i'm glad to see new updates appear again and interested in where it's going to lead.

Yeah, I agree, due to the "foundation" name. Though I'm sure there will be some game balancing. I've said my two dimes in here about the base building. I think it'll be a minority of people that are into that idea, unless our "base" is an expandable ship. I would love that actually, but I have little interest in ground structures because the ecosystems just aren't sophisticated enough right now. I lose interest staying in one place. I really hope they improve the creature AI and animations.

I always believed strongly that they were still working on it, but the silence was uncomfortable. I hope that with this update they begin to be more open again, at least in terms of what they're working on next.

Since they said the update is coming out "this week", I guess that means either today or tomorrow.

I put about 35 hours into the game, and enjoyed my time with it. I've kept it installed because it's a relaxing game that's great to play while listening to podcasts. I haven't gone back to it yet, but new content is as good of an incentive as anything.

McLovin

I would love to have my own space station, to hold multiple ships. Also a detachable vehicle that lets you drive around, swim faster with more oxygen reserves, and power mine for resources.

Bombless

Looking forward to more content. I got 50 hours out of it and would gladly come back for more.

And the people in that thread are salty as fuck.

"No updates, fuck them!"
"They're working on updates, fuck them!"

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I can't see them adding base building without adding new game loops alongside it. Just building a base on a planet would only really allow them to add new materials and blue-prints. Adding a levelling system and blue-prints that scale with that level would create a simple game loop just to get things rolling. Adding different creature behaviours with more aggression at certain times of day would give you a reason to build a base on a planet. If materials for those blue-prints were found on the planet or even on the creatures, then you have hunting, gathering and building added to the game loop. Now add trophies and rewards for surviving for a week, two weeks, a month ... and so on, and you have a decent addition to NMS.

Skeletron

Looking forward to the new stuff! I spent hours exploring and taking pretty photos when the game came out. Will be fun to jump back in.

Never heard the word game loop so many times.

Isn't 90% of most games loop something like, walk into room, kill everything and walk to the next room.

Somehow this games loop is unacceptable?

Anyway.

Looking forward to playing around with the new patch, glad the team didn't give up. There's a decent foundation to build a great game here. Take the elite dangerous route and keep adding features.

3Dprinted

Neo Member

I traded in my copy at the end of october... it was too repetitive for me, but i plan to get it again in around one year to see the improvements.
As i understood, getting to the center of the galaxy makes you start in a new one, right?
So, is there a way to tell the difference between galaxies? Are they made with different "seeds"? Or you just start on a random planet in the same galaxy with different planet names and that's it?
It would be cool to see crazier stuff the more you dive in the game across different galaxies, like more randomized, absurd and even incoherent stuff ;)

Worth noting that they announced base building way back in Update 1.03 release notes in August:
Sean said:
Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters. Temporal AA and my new cloud rendering tech should be coming soon too. It will really change the game again, and enhance it visually.

So hopefully "giant space freighters" are actually part of the base building. Also looking forward to that temporal AA and new cloud tech, assuming they're still following this game plan.

I want the build that they're playing internally because I can almost guarantee its not the watered down crap they put out for sale. I'm willing to bet they have a version with planet rotation, less/no fuel asteroids and planets that don't have 1000 outposts on them.

I posted that in the thread about the upcoming patch. I really want a "hardcore" mode with those things in it.

magawolaz

Crazy idea, but I wonder if by "we have added the foundations of base building" they mean they turned a good chunk of existing outposts """invisible""", leaving only the round area they are built on for us to use as foundation for our own structures.

I posted that in the thread about the upcoming patch. I really want a "hardcore" mode with those things in it.
Doubt we'll ever get our hands on it. But there's a video of the E3 build running on a devkit, complete with debug camera showing many interesting things about the generation of the planets. Asteroids were actually even more frequent than what we got in the final game (either that or there were proper asteroid fields between planets):
i0Q2z24.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-kifCYToAU

That planet does seem to have less stuff on it, but maybe it's just me. Haven't played the game in a while

Here is how they could remove all of the asteroids from between the planets (except where they may want a few asteroids such as in an asteroid belt): Simply remove fuel consumption from using the pulse engine when travelling in space. There is literally no reason I can think of for why the pulse engine should even have to use fuel.

Honestly, I'd be good with removing fuel requirements from the use of the pulse engine even on planets too but if they wanted to keep some resource gathering alive for the pulse engine then they should only keep it for using the pulse engine while on (or near) a planet.

Oh and that other thread that was opened specifically for the Foundation update announcement is a cluster fuck of epic proportions. I guess some people are not ever happy unless they have something to be bitching about. Whatever. I'm just glad that Hello Games has been working on this update and cannot wait to see what they have accomplished with it. I just really enjoy No Man's Sky (warts and all) and cannot wait to dive back in!

Top Bottom