• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

TyrantII

I wish there was a way to wipe your previous findings but keep you character (thus money/ship/ect).

I'd like to wipe all the old discoveries/names items that no longer apply.

Dommel

Anyone actually having fun in Survival mode?

It's damn near impossible to reach anything more than 5 minutes out from your starting position before dying because of lack of resources.

WilyRook

It's pretty crazy, I had to use the underground tunnels to get to my crashed ship, and again to get to the heridium deposit. I'm kinda digging it. So far the resource balance is really making me be as efficient as possible. Wasn't like this before, at least for me. Died on the way back to the ship, though.

Just tried a brand new survivor save, my thoughts?

It's shit. Zero resources to recover energy, so when it's over you die, since the three saves that I tried all put me in an extremely cold or extremely hot planet. I don't mind higher difficulties, but when it's artificial like that I find it trash.

Seiniyta

It's shit. Zero resources to recover energy, so when it's over you die, since the three saves that I tried all put me in an extremely cold or extremely hot planet. I don't mind higher difficulties, but when it's artificial like that I find it trash.

I actually kind of like it that way in a role playing way. You crash land, escape your ship and land some way off your ship. Everything from creatures to the enviroment wants to kill you. Do you have a feasible chance to do so? GO! If not, restart with a new save and try to last as long as possible.

I actually kind of like it that way in a role playing way. You crash land, escape your ship and land some way off your ship. Everything from creatures to the enviroment wants to kill you. Do you have a feasible chance to do so? GO! If not, restart with a new save and try to last as long as possible.

Trust me I've played my fair share of survival games, and even the hardest ones still give you a chance. I've had none here, none. I once spawned in a planet without any Plutonium whatsoever.

To top it off, I absolutely hate, loathe, despise roguelike games.

Shaneus

Here's my first ever photo mode screenshot, of the first planet I found with a habitable base on it that wasn't an extreme environment nightmare. This is my homestead view!
Nice! One other quickie though (and I will be playing it tonight): Does photo mode do anything to the IQ that you can notice? Or does it just remove the HUD?

Edit: Shit, another question: So you can set a base planet, but can you keep travelling between systems/galaxies? How do you travel between your base planet and where your current journey has taken you?

Dommel

After two hours and three different saves/planets I very much agree with you.

I like a challenge as much as the next guy but this Survival mode is ridiculous. Can't even survive long enough to reach your ship 5 minutes out. Where's the fun in that?

It's just frustrating that they can't get something like this right.

It's either a choice between a boring loop in Normal mode or a crushing experience in Survival mode.

Or maybe i just need to 'git gud'?

BouncyFrag

It's damn near impossible to reach anything more than 5 minutes out from your starting position before dying because of lack of resources.
I gave it good go. Even restarting it hoping for a better planet but it was relentless and not fun. I started a new normal game and will stick with that.

geomon

Nice! One other quickie though (and I will be playing it tonight): Does photo mode do anything to the IQ that you can notice? Or does it just remove the HUD?

Edit: Shit, another question: So you can set a base planet, but can you keep travelling between systems/galaxies? How do you travel between your base planet and where your current journey has taken you?

I think you have to build a beacon. What sucks is that now I have to learn new crafts like glass and shit.

Unicorn

I think you have to build a beacon. What sucks is that now I have to learn new crafts like glass and shit.

It provides "gameplay" though, or at least objectives.

I do wish they could find a better median between having strict blueprints you have to find gating your crafting versus a minecraft system of puzzling components and structures out.

I like that certain elements are now exclusive to certain biomes, but not when I need a blueprint to even tell me what I need to make them.

Your starting planet is randomized so I'm not sure how that makes it artificial. If they hand-picked a peaceful, quiet planet for everyone to start their survival run on, that would be artificial.

Kalentan

So what are you able to stack? Cause I can't stack anything. Like I have 2 Microdensity Fabrics, I feel like I should be able to stack those.

BizzyBum

Everyone was complaining how easy the vanilla game was and now they introduce a hard mode and people still complain. LOL

This is why HG can't win no matter what they do and why I ignore 95% of complainers because they have no fucking clue what they want, they just complain for the sake of complaining.

Dommel

I gave it good go. Even restarting it hoping for a better planet but it was relentless and not fun. I started a new normal game and will stick with that.

Biggest problem is the drain on your life support. Walking is 1x depletion, running 2x and jetpacking 3x (why!?).

If they could tweak that I could see Survival mode as being actual fun and challenging.

Your starting planet is randomized so I'm not sure how that makes it artificial. If they hand-picked a peaceful, quiet planet for everyone to start their survival run on, that would be artificial.

That's not the artificial that I'm talking about. I'll wait for dataminers (if there are ones still playing this game) but I can easily bet that the game will put you in extreme condition planets most of the time. Almost all the planets that I managed to visit had zero viable resources, so when my energy ended, that was it, I was stuck to a building.

After two hours and three different saves/planets I very much agree with you.

I like a challenge as much as the next guy but this Survival mode is ridiculous. Can't even survive long enough to reach your ship 5 minutes out. Where's the fun in that?

It's just frustrating that they can't get something like this right.

It's either a choice between a boring loop in Normal mode or a crushing experience in Survival mode.

Or maybe i just need to 'git gud'?

Yep, that's my experience. I managed to call my ship two times with a beacon, but that didn't matter because there was no energy left to search for repair items.

Biggest problem is the drain on your life support. Walking is 1x depletion, running 2x and jetpacking 3x (why!?).

If they could tweak that I could see Survival mode as being actual fun and challenging.

I don't even mind the drain rate, as long as they give me ways to find the resources.

-----

Laughing out loud at the one saying people are just "complaining for the sake of complaining". I've stuck with this game since the beginning, played a lot from the start. Stopped because I went to play other stuff but still have my PS4 and PC copies. HG tried but this Survival mode is mostly bullshit, sorry if you disagree. And by the way, people complained more about the gameplay loop, not the difficulty.

This survival mode reminds me of bullshit OHKO action games without any way to escape damage.

Example / Hypothetical scenario: If Metal Gear Rising had no parry or dodge and you had to fight against the current Bladewolf.

That's not the artificial that I'm talking about. I'll wait for dataminers (if there are ones still playing this game) but I can easily bet that the game will put you in extreme condition planets most of the time. Almost all the planets that I managed to visit had zero viable resources, so when my energy ended, that was it, I was stuck to a building.

Yep, that's my experience. I managed to call my ship two times with a beacon, but that didn't matter because there was no energy left to search for repair items.

I don't even mind the drain rate, as long as they give me ways to find the resources.

-----

Laughing out loud at the one saying people are just "complaining for the sake of complaining". I've stuck with this game since the beginning, played a lot from the start. Stopped because I went to play other stuff but still have my PS4 and PC copies. HG tried but this Survival mode is mostly bullshit, sorry if you disagree. And by the way, people complained more about the gameplay loop, not the difficulty.

This survival mode reminds me of bullshit OHKO action games without parry / dodge / any way to escape damage.

Hmm. Looking forward to trying this.

Yeah I think I may ditch survival mode, it just seems like they pushed a bunch of dials up to 11 without worrying about the balance, because it's survival, man, it's meant to be hardcore.

Having to pay attention to your life support or climate protections is fine, but when the resources needed to power that stuff takes significantly longer to procure than they last that is just too much.

Waiting in a cave for 20 minutes for the temperature to go down enough to go out for 10 minutes to find some stuff that will keep my heat shield going for maybe a minute is borked.

Survival mode isn't my cup of tea but it does sound like it's a little too hardcore at the moment from what i've read in here and the Update thread. Heh, i want to laugh at the masochists saying it's too tough but there does seem to be an element of luck in not getting utterly fucked over at the start which is not what you want from a super-hardcore mode.

Rhete

Banned
I'm not sure if it was a glitch or not but survival mode seemed to just take pity on me, I activated a save point with basically no health, no shields, and no radiation protection, and died right afterwards.

After a couple deaths where I died in seconds after respawning, which broke my multitool addons, I respawned and was invincible, I kept getting the ticks for damage but didn't die and was able to walk 7 minutes back to my ship with 0% life support and radiation protection.

Edit: After getting to my ship and healing up, I died instantly upon exiting, before it even saved. Guess it was a glitch

c0Zm1c

The update appears to have completely broken SLI.

It's fine with SLI off.

I had to disable SLI to fix that. Apparently SLI bugged again for this patch.

Quoting myself from the update thread:

If you're familiar with Nvidia Inspector, you can change the compatibility bits to stop the flickering. The default for the game's official profile is 0x00000001, but 0x0000002 works. Ones ending with a 4 seem to work too. It comes at the cost of some performance though; the bits that result in flicker run better (out of the ones I have tried).

Krakn3Dfx

Yeah, it dropped me like 10 minutes from my ship on a freezing planet, had to duck in and out of caves to get my thermal protection back up, 40+ minutes later I got to my ship, and now I need Heridium, which the closest it's showing me is like 20 minutes away walking. Saved and stopped for the night.

It's definitely a challenge, it was satisfying just getting back to my ship tho.

Ok, so few of questions since I just started replaying the new update.

1: Does the freighter follow you around?
2: Are there ways to get a free freighter?
3: Can you have both a base and a freighter?

Bombless

1 : Not quite. You summon it in orbit but it doesn't travel with you (though I haven't jumped systems to verify that yet).

2 : Not that I know of.

3 : Yes.

1) no you have to tell him( the commander of the freighter ) to follow you.
Or sometimes it just does follow.

2) no those cost money , like ships

3) yeah

~Kinggi~

Banned
I posted in update thread but ill ask here about Survival mode;;

So now, launching off the ground takes 100% plutonium instead of 25? I go right to zero every time i launch.

Also, what is the use of scanning from within my ship flying over a planet? Not sure what the deal is but no matter where i am scanning doesnt reveal anything while flying. Only thing i can scan is in space when i look at a planet i can tell the resources. But i used to be able to ping while flying and get all the question marks to appear if i was near them. Not anymore. Do i need a special part or is this just survival mode?

Found one base, but I didn't like the planet.

Going to be spending A LOT of time looking for a planet I like to make a base.

As for freighters, I'm guessing you have to keep buying upwards to get better ones like ships.

Aselith

Found one base, but I didn't like the planet.

Going to be spending A LOT of time looking for a planet I like to make a base.

As for freighters, I'm guessing you have to keep buying upwards to get better ones like ships.

You set the planet as your home planet so I would just make a base where you can and then change it when you find the one you like. That way you can set up a simple quicky base to research out of while you look for a permanent location.

vpance

Landed on a freighter that came under attack and now I can't take off. Doesn't look like the battle will stop anytime soon either.

So they copied another mechanic?

The learning alien language from Out There, and base building style from Subnautica?

I don't see how that's a negative if it's a good mechanic. Copying game mechanics is not exactly a unique practice in the industry. It's not like Hello have a ton of free time to experiment with a novel solution right now anyway.

Landed on a freighter that came under attack and now I can't take off. Doesn't look like the battle will stop anytime soon either.

Hah yeah that's unfortunate. You should send a bug report to them though, they've been good about fixing issues.
It would be cool if you could hop into a turret and blast some alien ships though.

vpance

Huh i could see this being an oversight bug. Maybe reload a save?

Hah yeah that's unfortunate. You should send a bug report to them though, they've been good about fixing issues.
It would be cool if you could hop into a turret and blast some alien ships though.

Had to reload. So this time I helped the freighter before landing, went to talk to the captain and it crashed..

I'm liking the new visual fx in the dogfights now though.

Edit: the game doesn't appear to save when you exit your ship while on a freighter.

Aselith

So they copied another mechanic?

The learning alien language from Out There, and base building style from Subnautica?

Well, if it makes NMS a good game, I'm all for it. Subnautica has great base building so I'm not sorry to see it spreading to other games. I did at least want to mention that though so that if people like base building in NMS they go check out Subnautica too!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
got curious and tried it out. wasnt too enthused after all...

guess i'm waiting to see what they come out with next

mokeyjoe

Thoughts after 2 hours:

Base building is actually pretty neat. Shame I'm on a hellhole with 'lethal atmosphere.' New weather type I think.

There are loads of new elements and things and I have no idea wtf they're for. Also I need some fancy mining laser to mine chrysonite, and a hazmat gauntlet to collect.. something. And I don't know how to make glass.

I'm getting new blueprints!

Finally got my Atlas Pass v2, lol

Far fewer buildings on planets.

Found tons of animals in one place, more than I've seen before. They were all just milling about though. Animals don't seem to have been altered yet, really.

The whole game feels much smoother, and looks nicer. Pop up is much reduced, especially when approaching a planet.

I found a truly huge grand canyon type structure I could fly through. Terrain generation seems better altogether.

Quick charging stuff is great.

Goddamn, I want a freighter. Freighters look amazing. 1 million short. Gah.

Even on normal it seems a little tougher. Storms were causing my protection to drop fast. Also, my mining laser no longer melts sentinels like butter.

Some bits of space had no asteroids.

New sound effects.

Altogether, a good start. Not bad for three months work. I wonder if there'll be such a big wait for the next one or whether they'll be more incremental now.

Top Bottom