• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Update 1.03 Patch Details revealed (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

Aselith

So......

why is the patch changing up the game so much? Or why is it making it like how it should've shipped in the first place?

I really don't like it when games ship without so much vital stuff on the disc.

They came in hot as fuck apparently.

MADGAME

Ah, I see. I do prefer longer day/night cycles than 12 minutes, so at least the rotation "nerf" increases it.

If you're on a planet where the temps dramtaically decrease at night (does that even happen?), I think it could get annoying having to seek shelter every 12 minutes.

Found this beauty online...

dXszeyx.gif

Ah, I see. I do prefer longer day/night cycles than 12 minutes, so at least the rotation "nerf" increases it.

If you're on a planet where the temps dramtaically decrease at night (does that even happen?), I think it could get annoying having to seek shelter every 12 minutes.

Is that what the patch notes mean? I wasn't sure from the way it was written.

Now, if only there was a way to add water physics and have running water and waterfalls... Seems like that would require a whole new universe though, so I don't have much hope for it.

I'm hoping we can own a moon rover that can fit in the back of our ships or space freighter. Imagine landing on a planet, walking from your pilot's chair to the back of the ship, getting in the moon rover, opening the door and driving down the ramp onto the planet's surface...

How cool would that be?!?

Also, ships transforming into submersibles for entering deep bodies of water would be another great addition!

Personally, I think it would be better if your ATV transformed into an submersible instead of your ship.

Something like this with a bubble over the cockpit.

ach__by_kuldarleement-d9wdyn9.jpg

Because, ultimately that's how game development ends up working like. Rami Ismail wrote a really on-point blog post about the matter: http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/
These lines probably sum it up best
..when No Man’s Sky launches, for most people, it’ll launch into the intended experience thanks to the Day 1 Patch. That build is as close to what the developers envisioned as they worked, learned and improved upon that vision. That’s No Man’s Sky. The version that is on the disc, however, is months old. The only way to avoid that kind of thing is to not launch on disc.

MADGAME

Is that what the patch notes mean? I wasn't sure from the way it was written.
I'm not sure, the patch notes stated planet rotation is being decreased because of player struggles. Comments in here suggest players were losing track of space stations due to planet rotation, and perhaps struggling with a short day/night cycle.

KingBroly

Banned
Because, ultimately that's how game development ends up working like. Rami Ismail wrote a really on-point blog post about the matter: http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/

I guess my biggest issue with what this patch is doing (and please correct me if I'm wrong from reading this) is the
changing of how (what I assume is) the main quest of the game works. It feels like patching something like completely changes the game.

I clearly have followed NMS too much since announcement because I remember your plan.

I just can't believe it's been over a year since I wrote that.

Time really does fly by faster as you age. Which sucks, cuz my wife and I just started our family and life has finally gotten interesting, and it's passing right by.

Bleh. Anyway, NMS looks like it's going to keep being amazing. Can't wait. Just wish I had more time to play than the hour a week I might have.

everyone saying they shouldn't have gone gold til the day 1 patch was ready:

http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/

edit: this is a really good post about the cert process and patching, on consoles. i don't want to paste any excerpts, because its not super long and you should just read the whole thing
Bro, make this a thread. This shit should be required reading
Here you go
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1259505&page=1

Z3M0G

So......

why is the patch changing up the game so much? Or why is it making it like how it should've shipped in the first place?

I really don't like it when games ship without so much vital stuff on the disc.
Wasn't there a game recently that shipped only with the instruction manual on the disk?

I'm not disagreeing with you btw

Boke1879

This lines probably sums it up best

But then you'd run into the issue of people bitching and complaining that it's digital only. So while digital only would avoid this small mess. I think overall it doesn't matter. Once you put in game it'll prompt and update and majority of the people are non the wiser.

I fucking love patch notes, especially when they are this epic. This is way more than I was expecting, and I love the fact that Sean wants to improve some pretty important graphical effects such as AA post launch, you don't really see that much at all.

This is only the DAY ZERO patch, being "the first of many like this" I can't even imagine what future updates will be like once they have had a bit of time to rest.

I'm probably gonna cave in and just get the PS4 version first then PC version later after reading this, Friday feels light-years away now...

edit: how did I forget to mention them soon adding
BASE BUILDING AND OWNING GIANT SPACE FREIGHTERS

Pimpbaa

Sounds a lot like Elite Dangerous where they are continually working on the game adding new stuff. Which is great. Just as long as they don't charge 40+ bucks for season passes/expansions that take forever to get any content (ED players will know what I'm talking about).

Danlord

What would be the point of Base building? I thought the game is designed around travelling to the centre, why would you want to return to a Base.

I made a post earlier in the thread here how I think it'll be handled.

Well that is exactly the point that Sean Murray made, he doesn't want people to just explore one level. But I think the added incentive of base building will provide encouragement to go to more planets and establish outposts for your affiliated faction, like the Korvax for example.

So don't think of an outpost like a settlement, (I use that example only as gameplay comparison) but treat it as just a safe stopping point that you can save, maybe recharge your ship, trade with faction member for example, inventory storage, protection from hostile environment etc... They'll only be small in nature, similar to what we've seen as faction outposts before like the one shown off in the IGN First (second one) and the Anthony Carboni video where the outpost consists of a single-capacity landing pad and a small interior. That's what I expect.

Top Bottom