• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobuo Uematsu wants to make a new 2D RPG with the original Final Fantasy VI team

Boogybro

iSuDan7QpjLmJ.gif

HeelPower

The best we can hope for is SE embarks on Child of light~like project.(similar in philosophy not copying the style per se) It was released on all platforms and was very polished.

If ubi can do it then SE can with their new studio.

Not everything needs to be AAA or made by 600 people to be great, profitable or polished.

Deadstar

I would pay 1 million dollars for this. 6 is the best in the series, just incredible work. Give it to me on steam and ps4, throw in the soundtrack and I would pay 1.5 million for it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Holy shit do it. Get Sakaguchi and Nomura on the project as well.

The dream is still alive!

In a time of Pillar of Eternities and Torment sequels, this is certainly possible.

Just don't aim for retail, though, you have to go primarily downloadable if you want your money to be put in better use.

wrowa

You know, I think a Kickstarter for a spiritual sequel to FFVI by Sakaguchi, Ueamtsu and Amano could easily become the most successful gaming Kickstarter yet (hardware excluded).

You know, I think a Kickstarter for a spiritual sequel to FFVI by Sakaguchi, Ueamtsu and Amano could easily become the most successful gaming Kickstarter yet (hardware excluded).

I'm sure it would. I could see this reaching into the millions.

I want Uematsu to come back to FF.No matter what the project ends up being.He seems to have a very good relationship with SE ,Judging by his Distant Worlds concert huge success and how SE constantly support these events worldwide.

Also if they're gonna make another 2D ,and they should, they push 2D to new grounds.They can definitely make more complex art and assets than SNES-level so that we get it on consoles.Child of Light is an example of that.I am sure SE has the talent to push something new and refreshing.

Retreading SNES level graphics isn't that exciting tbh.Already too many games made in that style.Both old and new.

No modern game in that style has yet to match Chrono Trigger's level though. I'm talking purely about the number of sprites, the number of sprite animations, the fact that battles are fought on the same screen as the exploration, with characters that can face four different directions, etc. A 2D FF on Chrono Trigger's level would be godlike. I think the original prototype of FFVII for SNES was going to be like that:

V4L94m0.jpg

Were Takahashi and Tanaka already married at that time?

WIkipedia says they married in 1995 (which is after FFVI) but without citing a source.

^That FFVII/SNES shot!
I would have loved one more SNES FF, but those days are long past.

Ideally I'd love to see guys like Kitase, Itou, and Naora leave S-E, create a joint development house with Sakaguchi, and be absorbed by, say, Sony Japan Studio or something. They could pull in freelancers like Amano, Uematsu, Nojima, and Hamauzu for art/music/story.
Take the leash off of these guys, supply them a decent budget, and let them go nuts. Right there you have FF dream-team members, but working on a new IP. I'd love to see what they'd come up with outside the restrictions/standard demographic of a 'Final Fantasy' game- and I say that as someone who still loves the FF series.

SPAW

That would require a separate kickstarter, to form a group to find the executive restroom he's been chained in to clean for all eternity

it would be quite the paradox if Ito is actually quite happy sitting in his restroom receiving his executive salary without having to deal with square-enix management for resources and stuff.

120v

I'm skeptical anything like FFVI could be made today, because of a number of factors, even if the original team is at helm

but this is good news regardless

We kind of did get that, actually. That's not only a prototype of FFVII but is the earliest incarnation of what eventually became Xenogears.
I know xenogears started off as FFVII, but Xenogears with it's 3D thing going on aged so poorly it hurts.

I'd probably like every PSone RPG better on the SNES... minus Chrono Cross and FFIX, because those looked very good.
Because not all of them want to work on a Chrono game anymore. Yuji Horii is apparently quite against it.
He didn't have a say in Chrono Cross though, did he?

Why hasn't such a consideration happened sooner? 2D side project and release it on as many platforms as humanely possible - in downloadable format, naturally. There is no better time to do this providing something comes out of this.

Jarnet87

Such a thing is not possible, it is folly. I won't invest a second of my feels in this as we all know it's going to be an mobile game if it even happens.

Begaria

I know xenogears started off as FFVII, but Xenogears with it's 3D thing going on aged so poorly it hurts.

I'd probably like every PSone RPG better on the SNES... minus Chrono Cross and FFIX, because those looked very good.

Vagrant Story is no slouch when it comes to 3D - probably one of the best looking 3D games on the PS1. Makes sense since Squaresoft had so much practice at it and was practically their final big game on PS1.

VARIA

Now that's a man who hasn't lost sight of what makes a good game. Hopefully he's able to realize his vision.

It would be amazing if Final Fantasy 16 (? not even sure it this is the right number) was a 2D 16bit style game.

HeelPower

No modern game in that style has yet to match Chrono Trigger's level though. A 2D FF on Chrono Trigger's level would be godlike.

V4L94m0.jpg

While the backgrounds are beautiful,I think it still expresses a very rudimentary form of character design.

I am gonna be honest.I want something more expressive and complex than that.If mainline FF ever goes 2D I'd like it to have this kind of sprite work.

I want something of this kind of detail in an RPG.At least for the main characters.
qwde0ozt.jpg
kof_xii_styled_sprite_by_omegaefex-d3k0voq.png
q600pclo.jpg

Sesha

Bravely Default-level of production values on 3DS (or digital download on whatever systems) for the love of gooooooood! Not that this is the ideal, but it's the most realistic alternative next to iOS.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE -deep breath- EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAASEEEEEE.

I'm officially going to be really upset if this never happens.

jholmes

Because not all of them want to work on a Chrono game anymore. Yuji Horii is apparently quite against it.

Not that I especially want another game to piggyback and trample upon Chrono Trigger's legacy, but if there were ever a project I would be OK with being a sequel to Chrono Trigger, this might be it.

I'm at the very least interested in the news. Hopefully something comes of this.

Vagrant Story is no slouch when it comes to 3D - probably one of the best looking 3D games on the PS1. Makes sense since Squaresoft had so much practice at it and was practically their final big game on PS1.
True.

Too bad I can't stand textured 3D on the PSone... affine texture mapping, lack of perspective correction and simplified coordinates.

I wish it had been up-ported at least for the Dreamcast.

Goddamn it, please happen!

I know it won't.

I can only imagine some kickstarter 2d FF6-esque rpg in the vein of Pillars of Eternity. I.e. what PoE does for old Infinity Engine games as to what this could do for FF6 era FFs/jrpgs.

Yeah...I'll just stop now...

Usobuko

Banned
I hope they kickstart this. It should very well be a successful campaign and give KS more exposure to Japanese studios.

It blows my mind that this thread is so full of port-begging for a game that doesn't even exist and may not ever exist. Do some people really care more about the platform a game is on than the idea of the game itself?

Bravo.

Top Bottom