• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nolan North says Naughty Dog is making a sequel to 8+ mil selling game The Last of Us

Dreez

Not really a surprise... Hopefully the reveal comes out of nowhere though.

I'd rather hear confirmation if they were working on a new IP.

I dont see why people would be qgqinst q sequel with Joel and Ellie. There's so much more stories that can be told

For examples,

-Ellie might find out that what Joel says is total bullshit a couple of years later and she wants to escape, drama from Joel, more lies, etc. She kills Joel at the end of the game.

or - Joel gets bitten and tells her the truth. in the meantime we find out that Ellie can give the cure without dying herself. She goes to Joel with the cure. and doesnt give it to him, cause fuck him. He dies.

or - Joel and Ellie find another person like Ellie except that person is injured from something else and is about to die anyway. Joel thinks 'Shit, we should bring that person to the scientists'... but then doesnt cause he would have to tell the truth to Ellie.

I just made this shit up in 2 min. What I mean is , talented writers can sureley come up with a great story for a sequel. But I have to say, I would prefer new protagonists myself

fastmower

These were my predictions for a sequel if it ever happened:

A few years have passed, the world has gotton worse with no sign of a cure. Ellie finds out/realizes what Joel really did. She then takes her own trip to offer herself to save humanity. Joel tries to track her down, and you play both characters throughout the story. Ends with Ellie sacrificing herself and joel committing suicide cause he couldn't stop her

For some reason your last line made me burst out laughing! Kinda caught me off guard.

Not really a surprise... Hopefully the reveal comes out of nowhere though.

I'd rather hear confirmation if they were working on a new IP.
Creating a completely new IP from scratch right after having just created one is a very tall order to ask. Naughty Dog employees are still human lol.

Creating a completely new IP from scratch right after having just created one is a very tall order to ask. Naughty Dog employees are still human lol.
Not only that, but it was crazy successful, and Neil has repeatedly said they won't do it unless they have something else interesting and worthwhile to say. They can always milk UC franchise if Sony just wants the moola to keep rolling.

I just find these posts of "It's perfect" or "doesn't need anything added to it" to be completely dismissive to someone else creative work. ND will say when its done. If it's not, it's not.

I'm wondering when the earliest we'll here some concrete rumblings about it will be.

Also, I'd love to play a sequel with older Ellie. But I'd pretty much take a sequel with anything to be honest, I trust ND.

Seriously, creating a sequel gives them room to flex their arms and possibly improve on the first (a tall order) game, a known quantity in terms of mechanics, world, design etc. Creating a new IP is the hardest thing to do in this industry, its full of uncertainty and you never know how its gonna go. Naughty Dog deserves some sequels after such a huge new IP like TLOU.

Folks asking "NEW IP NEW IP NEW IP" are unreasonable.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
These were my predictions for a sequel if it ever happened:

A few years have passed, the world has gotton worse with no sign of a cure. Ellie finds out/realizes what Joel really did. She then takes her own trip to offer herself to save humanity. Joel tries to track her down, and you play both characters throughout the story. Ends with Ellie sacrificing herself and joel committing suicide cause he couldn't stop her

Naaa:

We begin the game as a new character. He's heading back to the camp after getting attacked and separated from the rest of the crew who have been out gathering food and resources. Eventually he leaves the town and heads on foot across the countryside. Night falls and he can see the lights of the distant camp but he can also hear the moaning and clicking of approaching infected. Considering it safer to find a safe place and hold out til the morning, he hunkers down and falls asleep.

The following morning he awakes with a headache and feeling nauseous. As we push him onwards towards the camp the controls become a little less responsive, making it harder to move him where we want (he's fighting against our control). We still have forward momentum and and now the character begins to weep and mewl, his vision more focused and over saturated. As we near the camp we see a woman playing a guitar. Our character breaks free of our control and runs at the woman. At that point the camera swings around and we find ourselves behind Ellie who immediately picks up a bow. We are now in control of Ellie and take out the runner

Now we know what it feels like to be one of the infected. Sam's question is answered and killing the infected becomes a much more complex issue.

Catdaddy

They have a 20 year prequel window, would love too see Tess and Joel story. Like how he got to Boston from Texas... A Ellen post story would be good to.

The God

Let's get this thing in here, ND:

TLoU_2.jpg

Is that surprising? I think the only reason why TLOU 2 isn't officially announced yet is because ND is currently working on UC4. I think TLOU is one of the best selling games in the history of SCE as publishers not counting the Gran Turismo games (which should be the entire top 5) I doubt they are going to let the franchise go without making one or 2 more games out of it.

Have new characters and have it happening during the epidemic, with new characters. Would be a surreal experience.

Led_Zeppelin said:
Is that surprising? I think the only reason why TLOU 2 isn't officially announced yet is because ND is currently working on UC4. I think TLOU is one of the best selling games in the history of SCE as publishers not counting the Gran Turismo games (which should be the entire top 5) I doubt they are going to let the franchise go without making one or 2 more games out of it.
ND decides what to make nowadays, not Sony. If there is a TLOU2, it's likely because they want to do it IMO.

What is Dart?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QINuNNINN7U

The music is so hype. I need to buy it
again

Have new characters and have it happening during the epidemic, with new characters. Would be a surreal experience.

ND decides what to make nowadays, not Sony. If there is a TLOU2, it's likely because they want to do it IMO.

Yeah, if theres any WWS studio that can make Sony "abandon" a 10 million sales franchise, its Naughty Dog. Because, honestly, if you look at their track record, chances are their next new IP will sell 7mil+ anyway.

vpance

TLOU2 needs to be a big change to be worth it IMO. Skulking around ruined buildings again for 15 hrs just seems like the wrong move.

Not really feeling the idea of a direct sequel, but then again from a company perspective I get that they can't just leave cash on the table either.

You want more mutations but think it's stupid that animals could also become infected? I want the game to stay grounded not turn into Silent frigin' Hill.

wow, did you play the first game? the infection is targeting humans, sort of like how Agent Smith said humans were a virus and the earth should get rid of us.

and as time goes on,, like months and years, the infection mutates into more grotesque forms and different bodies even fuse together. it's already in the first game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
wow, did you play the first game? the infection is targeting humans, sort of like how Agent Smith said humans were a virus and the earth should get rid of us.

and as time goes on,, like months and years, the infection mutates into more grotesque forms and different bodies even fuse together. it's already in the first game.

Yes I played it, 11 times (8 on the PS3 and 3 on the PS4). The infection has no 'purpose', it's not sentient, it just so happens that humans are now vulnerable to it. It DOES NOT mutate humans (did you play the first game?), it adds layers of fungus until the final form which are called 'Bloaters.' The closest the game got to any idea of 'mutation' was the fact the infected eventually clicked because the fungus grew through the eye sockets. We DO NOT need or want ridiculous inventions just to add variety. We already know the infection CAN effect animals because we've seen infected monkeys. It was never explained or mentioned that the reason for that is they are closely linked to humans through genetics so it is easy to put that down to the fact monkeys are often used in experiments.

I'd also point out that I'm not bothered whether they have infected animals in the sequel, I was just pointing that out because it's the only 'reasonable' way of adding new enemy types. I'd sooner the scenarios showed invention and the characters evolve.

I don't doubt that since that is how Sony seems to handle their studios. But I also doubt ND made TLOU MP borderline P2W by themselves. Bottom line ND are owned by Sony and ND will do what Sony tells them to do.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The Parasite mutates the host though.

No, it 'adds' layers of fungus. From runners to stalkers to clickers to Bloaters. Each is just a human with ever more fungal growth. It controls the host but it doesn't mutate the host. They are still human under that outer layer of fungus.

I want to play as completely new characters and maybe on the adventure we meet an older Ellie and maybe do a mission or two with her? And while the mission is going on she will kinda drop hints about Joel like talking about how her "old man can still use a rifle real well" or something like that lol

I think that would be pretty cool!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That fungal growth is a mutate, it grows out of the host, slowly getting worse over time.

Yes, the fungus is a mutation. There are currently over 400 types of cordyceps and none have yet made the transition to human beings. It would take a mutation for that to happen because the species does not exist at the moment. However, the host isn't mutated, it's controlled by the mutated cordyceps.

Top Bottom