• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nolan North says Naughty Dog is making a sequel to 8+ mil selling game The Last of Us

Regginator

I'm still surprised people don't trust ND to make a satisfying sequel staring Joel and Ellie.

With the depth of understanding they showed in the first game, I think they'll be able to pull it off.

It's not that I don't trust them, but unless they come up with something that completely blows The Last of Us out of the water (which I honestly doubt), I think it'll do the story more harm than good. Better to start fresh with new characters in new parts of the country.

I'm still surprised people don't trust ND to make a satisfying sequel staring Joel and Ellie.

With the depth of understanding they showed in the first game, I think they'll be able to pull it off.
I fully trust them. If they want to continue with Joel and Ellie, it means they have more to tell. I have the utmost confidence in Neil and Bruce.

I really don't subscribe to the line of thinking that the ending was "too perfect" and a sequel would "ruin it". The first game is a perfectly told story, and a direct sequel would in no way impact that for me personally. It was an incredible experience and that's done, I've experienced it. Nothing will ever change my feelings towards it. If the creators feel there's more to say, fine with me, more power to them, I'm there day one.

I fully trust them. If they want to continue with Joel and Ellie, it means they have more to tell. I have the utmost confidence in Neil and Bruce.

I really don't subscribe to the line of thinking that the ending was "too perfect" and a sequel would "ruin it". The first game is a perfectly told story, and a direct sequel would in no way impact that for me personally. It was an incredible experience and that's done, I've experienced it. Nothing will ever change my feelings towards it. If the creators feel there's more to say, fine with me, more power to them, I'm there day one.

Exactly. I don't understand the "no sequel" thing either. TLOU is in my top 5 games of all time and I want to experience that world and gameplay again. Whether its through Joel and Ellie or new characters I want to experience that again.

And I'm willing to bet millions more agree with me. There's still plenty of stories in that world they can tell

UberLevi

Never got to play The Last of Us. E3 made me interested in picking up a PS4 during the holidays, so I'm probably going to try and hop on the Remastered edition after all the praise I've heard.

eFKac

I don't want to turn this into console wars but I can't help but notice that people are annoyed at Sony for making sequels for their successful IPs like Uncharted or GoW and now TLoU while asking MS for more Halos and Gears, why is that honestly?

Yeah I see the same pattern. I think people just don't really like Sony IP's.
If it would be up to me, all we would be playing would be Uncharted's, GoW's, Resistance games, different genre takes on TLoU universe. I love those games, some of my favourite franchises, I want more of them.

Wouldn't be the most surprising news re: TLOU. After all, ND is a business and after the critical and commercial success that was the TLOU, they would be stupid not to invest in this franchise and make a sequel. Why leave free $$$$ on the table?

Gono

Banned
Grown up Ellie + new male character (possible love interest?) versus Evil Joel + conspiracy or something + ninjas + aliens (to introduce sci fi concept for new ip) = WIN.

Ricky_R

Ehhzackly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Bingo!

So... Savage Starlight was a lie?

Oh how I would love for ND to dive into Sci-Fi with their story driven experiences.

Kule

The last of Me. Psychological sequel that starts off with Ish out in the ocean during a huge storm. Story cuts between ocean survival flashbacks, stranded on his boat with no power or supplies, suffering from delirium and onwards from the tunnel escape. Jumps between storm/escape at start for a dramatic intro.

During boat segments his mind slowly unravels while modern day he's a hero. Game ends with him turning mad and murdering his best friend and crew mate while in current day sacrificing himself to save the other survivors for redemption.

Just some fun, though I'd really like to see his story play out.

Artex

Banned
I just want more of that sweet sweet gameplay. It's the most fun I've had ever running around that hotel and such against the human enemies. So good, especially on grounded where you need a solid strategy.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Assuming the epilogue scene they performed live is considered canon. I dunno where else they would go with the story of Joel and Ellie.

I wouldn't mind seeing another game in the universe though. in nd i trust.

J-Skee

To those wondering why there are people saying that they don't want a sequel: the Last of Us was perfect from beginning, middle & end story wise. It's rare to get that in an original game when the market is so sequel heavy. Sure, there were side stories told in comics & an expansion, but otherwise, the main game didn't leave you with a cliffhanger with the expectation of an sequel.

Now don't get me wrong. If a sequel is being made, I will abso-fucking-lutely buy it. Naughty Dog is my favorite developer & I know they would deliver. It's just that that story in the original game was so good. It can't be that hard to imagine why people would rather they leave it alone.

Lexad

This is excellent news and nice to have something close to a confirmation. It wouldn't have shocked me if ND wouldn't want to continue that story because it would be so difficult to top what they already completed

I just think the story was incredibly exhausting, in the best possible ways.

We go through so many ups and downs with the characters, and the adventure, along with the context of the game's world, makes it hard to believe that Ellie and Joel would have another continent-trotting adventure.

What exactly would be the story? It's difficult for people to think of one, and people are happier thinking they lived relatively quiet lives after going through such a harrowing experience. It's not to say that I dont trust ND... but I just don't know if I want to see the characters retread old ground, and wonder what new adventure could create some new experiences that evolves the characters any further. We've seen it all and really well: Ellie and Joel grow close, they grow awkwardly, they fight, Ellie runs away, Joel saves her life, Ellie gets assaulted... those are huge events that seem to stretch the story a lot. I'm wondering what else could possibly be done.

I want new characters and a new place because I think ND did a great job of unfolding such an apocalyptic pandemic. I love the eerie quiet lifestyle of Joel, how the small town he lived in didn't know what was going on...the beginning was so great.

I'd love a game that takes place shortly after the breakout of the infection, in a place where we can see a different diversity of clickers.

I also am so interested in the characters they create that I dont want to see another Joel/Ellie. I want to know what they can do next. Henry and Sam were awesome, for example. As was Ish. I'd love to play someone else, because I want to see what ND can come up with.

I just think the story was incredibly exhausting, in the best possible ways.

We go through so many ups and downs with the characters, and the adventure, along with the context of the game's world, makes it hard to believe that Ellie and Joel would have another continent-trotting adventure.

What exactly would be the story? It's difficult for people to think of one, and people are happier thinking they lived relatively quiet lives after going through such a harrowing experience. It's not to say that I dont trust ND... but I just don't know if I want to see the characters retread old ground, and wonder what new adventure could create some new experiences that evolves the characters any further. We've seen it all and really well: Ellie and Joel grow close, they grow awkwardly, they fight, Ellie runs away, Joel saves her life, Ellie gets assaulted... those are huge events that seem to stretch the story a lot. I'm wondering what else could possibly be done.

I want new characters and a new place because I think ND did a great job of unfolding such an apocalyptic pandemic. I love the eerie quiet lifestyle of Joel, how the small town he lived in didn't know what was going on...the beginning was so great.

I'd love a game that takes place shortly after the breakout of the infection, in a place where we can see a different diversity of clickers.

I also am so interested in the characters they create that I dont want to see another Joel/Ellie. I want to know what they can do next. Henry and Sam were awesome, for example. As was Ish. I'd love to play someone else, because I want to see what ND can come up with.

I agree, I loved reading Ish`s letters in the sewers and he made it out alive too so would love to see things from his view.

Ishan

I don't want to turn this into console wars but I can't help but notice that people are annoyed at Sony for making sequels for their successful IPs like Uncharted or GoW and now TLoU while asking MS for more Halos and Gears, why is that honestly?

Personally I am on the camp of new IPs over sequel but for the TLoU I want a sequel with Ellie as main character so bad it just feel right to have grown up Ellie or late teens Ellie staring the next TLoU

It's more a testament to how satisfying and complete a story tlou was . Many sony ips are story based and feel complete so ppl are happy to move on . Additionally certain sony studios like nd have show. They can transition into new ips and still amaze us so ppl want that . Gears 6tillion is boring compared to tlou as far as story/new experience def . It's not like sony fans don't want sequels just not to many first party games. Eg ppl still want crash gran turismo etc

Mr. Fix

Not sure where they could go with the characters from the first game, but I'm up for a return to the world of tlou.

Juraash

No real surprise they'd do another one. Kinda bummed in some ways since I think it's a great 1 and done. Granted you could tell many stories in that world unrelated to the events of the first game. I just think it stands best in its own.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
In case of TLOU? People feel that game should be above the franchising. Similar to how there was no 6th Sense 2 or E.T. 2, even though there were plans to make it. I would hope for that too, but the financial reality is that it won't be that way. There's another thing. I feel ND people are at their best when they tackle an entirely new thing. They could create something that would be different enough from TLOU and Uncharted, and still make it successful.

In Case of God of War? People are tired of Kratos. It feels like his story was well and full told and beaten into the ground over the 6 games that were released over the last ten years. I personally think the series has not progressed as much as it could have in terms of gameplay and technology either. Playing GoW:A, I still felt like I was playing a PS2 game with super-flashy graphics.

In case of Uncharted? No idea what you're talking about, everyone keep begging for more Uncharted games. Subject matter of those games is perfectly suited to franchising too.

Ricky_R

I dont think she's explicitly defined as gay, just because she kissed a girl when she was young

She clearly has strong feelings for riley though. More than just wanting to kiss her for the sake of it at least.

I believe ND wanted to cement her sexuality in Left Behind.

No, she's gay because her creator specifically said he wrote her as a gay character :p

Welp... There's that too then.

There was zero chance that a sequel wasn't coming after those sales and how popular the game is.

I'll take anything Naughty Dog can give me.

Top Bottom