• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nothing stops this train. PUBG surpasses [-46,278,233,054] concurrent users (!!!!)

Steamspy has the game at this moment at 8,956,801 owners. Meaning its probably 9.2 million owners acounting for the delay. 10 million by the end of the month i guess

DKF590

People call out PUBG because it's the Goat Simulator of shooters - janky, poor production values yet it's a massive memish phenomenon.

This makes my head hurt. Do you honestly think 9 million people bought a $30 game that has never been on sale because it's a "memish phenomenon"? Maybe they just think it's genuinely a good game?

People call out PUBG because it's the Goat Simulator of shooters - janky, poor production values yet it's a massive memish phenomenon. I'm fine with people enjoying it (for whatever reason), tho not everyone is going to be enamoured with what's being served up.

HAHAHA, Jesus Christ.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I must be an old timer gaffer, still don't get the appeal of this game.

Something about its mechanics lacking finesse. The traversal looks janky, there is plenty of downtime and the shooting vs TTK seems bad.

I guess its the social aspects, unlike other co-op, this has more breathing space. Is it most popular in usa?

I can see a clone by a big dev with a big budget, cleaning up those rough areas.

its minecraft - the game is clunky and clumsy. But it has a great gameplay hook, and every game feels different mainly I think because of the size of the population and how things play out.

And while I expect several publishers to include modes like this in their future games, I can't see anyone doing a specific game that is just this mode. PUBG isn't polished but it is already snaffling up the audience and it has both the momentum and the zeitgeist factor going for it.

LKSmash

People call out PUBG because it's the Goat Simulator of shooters - janky, poor production values yet it's a massive memish phenomenon. I'm fine with people enjoying it (for whatever reason), tho not everyone is going to be enamoured with what's being served up.

God this just reeks of entitlement and belittling of anyone who would "sully" themselves to play an early access shooter. I don't see how you can honestly sit there and say 9+ million people bought a game cuz they wanted to facilitate a meme. Grow up.

Keasar

The thing I hate about PUBG is that my friends refuse now to play anything else, trying to convince them to play some R6:Siege with me again with the release of the patch tomorrow is impossible. :(

ChazGW7

Personally, when I first heard about it I thought it was exactly that -- the next in the line of "streaming success stories" that Haunted outlined.

I wouldn't have blamed anyone for thinking that 4-5 months ago, it certainly seemed like that was the fate for the game, the next evolution it seemed.

But yes, it has moved way past that and grabbed every other popular multiplayer game by the balls.

giphy.gif

-hadouken

This makes my head hurt. Do you honestly think 9 million people bought a $30 game that has never been on sale because it's a "memish phenomenon"? Maybe they just think it's genuinely a good game?
How many bought Goat Simulator? As you suggest, people may think it's a good game - but the overwhelming success has to be partly attributed to hype. Fear of missing out on being part of the cultural phenomenon drives PUBG. "I was logged on when it went 1 mil concurrent!" From the time I've spent with it, the game has merit, but the success is disproportionate to the quality of the product. You're welcome to feel differently.

How many bought Goat Simulator? As you suggest, people may think it's a good game - but the overwhelming success has to be partly attributed to hype. Fear of missing out on being part of the cultural phenomenon drives PUBG. "I was logged on when it went 1 mil concurrent!" From the time I've spent with it, the game has merit, but the success is disproportionate to the quality of the product. You're welcome to feel differently.
Around 3 million on steam apparently. So PUBG is well past that

-hadouken

God this just reeks of entitlement and belittling of anyone who would "sully" themselves to play an early access shooter. I don't see how you can honestly sit there and say 9+ million people bought a game cuz they wanted to facilitate a meme. Grow up.
You'll have to point out my entitlement, as you've lost me on that one. As for belittling people who play early access games - no, I'm pointing out that for some of us the poor production values kill our interest in the title. More than happy for people like yourself to enjoy whatever floats your boat.

ChazGW7

I can't believe you're comparing this games success to Goat Simulators. You need to open your eyes. It is not the same thing.

but the overwhelming success has to be partly attributed to hype

So basically its not a 'meme-ish phenomenon', its simply a game everyone is super excited about? Okay, nice attempt to back track on your statement but okay.

danm999

That's basically how all popular games work though. Positive reception and good word of mouth leads to coverage and commercial success. People hear a game is good/fun and want to play it. They tell their friends and others and they want to play it too.

The effort to make that process seem illegitimate or transitory with PUBG seems extremely myopic.

Qassim

Implying that something must be fit certain criteria of 'quality' to warrant it's success is ridiculous. People don't won't let lacking production values or a bit of jank get in the way if they're having fun.

Games simply do not sustain anywhere close to this level of growth or player base mostly on hype. They certainly don't play just to be say 'I was online when it hit 1 million concurrent', the vast majority of people playing it have no idea how many people are concurrently playing the game. The game just nailed the core gameplay loop, and playing it with other people is significantly more rewarding (and naturally beneficial) than most other games - which adds to a genuinely natural network effect (accelerating and sustaining growth).

Also, Goat Simulator for context:

t4Ckf5Z.png

Daffy Duck

Erm what?

This game has some sweet animations for recording, switching weapon firing modes.

maxmars

LOL at the title change, someone must be an old time dev.

Man I still have to try this out. I'm still in the phase where I look morbidly at youtube videos.. Tacky but fun!

Implying that something must be fit certain criteria of 'quality' to warrant it's success is ridiculous. People don't won't let lacking production values or a bit of jank get in the way if they're having fun.

Games simply do not sustain anywhere close to this level of growth or player base mostly on hype. They certainly don't play just to be say 'I was online when it hit 1 million concurrent', the vast majority of people playing it have no idea how many people are concurrently playing the game. The game just nailed the core gameplay loop, and playing it with other people is significantly more rewarding (and naturally beneficial) than most other games - which adds to a genuinely natural network effect (accelerating and sustaining growth).

Also, Goat Simulator for context:

t4Ckf5Z.png
Literally the same graph as PUBG God learn to read

You'll have to point out my entitlement, as you've lost me on that one. As for belittling people who play early access games - no, I'm pointing out that for some of us the poor production values kill our interest in the title. More than happy for people like yourself to enjoy whatever floats your boat.
Could you possibly be anymore smug. JFC careful your monocle might fall out.

Lister

Banned
How many bought Goat Simulator? As you suggest, people may think it's a good game - but the overwhelming success has to be partly attributed to hype. Fear of missing out on being part of the cultural phenomenon drives PUBG.

So... just like any other big AAA marketing driven game?

I guess in your mind this is like a Destiny 1? Exept this is a much better game than Destiny 1.

*Splinter

The thing I hate about PUBG is that my friends refuse now to play anything else, trying to convince them to play some R6:Siege with me again with the release of the patch tomorrow is impossible. :(
The thing I hate about PUBG is that it's not out on PS4 yet. :(

How many bought Goat Simulator? As you suggest, people may think it's a good game - but the overwhelming success has to be partly attributed to hype.

Your favorite game of the year also owes it's success partly to hype. Even though you might think it's a good game.

Fear of missing out on being part of the cultural phenomenon drives PUBG. "I was logged on when it went 1 mil concurrent!" From the time I've spent with it, the game has merit, but the success is disproportionate to the quality of the product. You're welcome to feel differently.

Yeah dude, you nailed it. It's not the incredibly tense, engaging, heart popping gameplay that is pulling all those people into PUBG. Nope. It's just people who want to be there when that counter crosses a million. I'm surprised you haven't reached the mischievous uncles argument yet to explain why it sold 9 million copies.

Gbraga

I don't blame people for thinking less of the game because of its production values. I was never the most graphics obsessed person, but for some reason the animations and overall jank were really off putting to me. If not for a very generous gaffer gifting me the game and telling me I had no more excuses not to try it, I would still be ignoring it and not understanding its appeal that much.

But now I'm hooked, I'll play at least a match every day, it's such an intense game, it's the first time I've had legitimate jump scares in a multiplayer game. It's one thing to scare the player in a heavily controlled and scripted environment, but having them so focused an immersed in the experience that another player acting naturally and minding their own business can scare you is something else.

Despite having relatively quick matches for the kind of game it is, they're still slow-paced enough to produce some surprising moments that you wouldn't find outside of some setpiece. Like looting a seemingly empty place, only for someone to start shooting at you from somewhere else, but the shots hit the door you've just opened, and you rush inside the house for protection, and trying to find where the guy was shooting at you from. Depending on how far into the match you are, you may actually choose to leave through the backdoor and get the hell out, instead of going for the typical multiplayer mentality of "oh shit, enemy here, let me just shoot him to death".

It creates a dynamic unlike anything else I've experienced so far, and it's a fantastic Battle Royale game. I have no idea how they could do this, but some more lore/story in any way is the only thing left to make it the perfect game of its kind.

All the hate it receives is quite fitting for its genre, considering that the Battle Royale manga's first chapter is called The Worst Game in History. :p

Johndoey

Banned

I mean what are you really even trying to say here? Hype and excitement around a product helps propel sales? Brilliant deduction. What's the point of this half-assed reductive argument you're shitting out.

I mean your second point boils down to "Well I didn't think it was all that" which, sure, whatever, that's not actually relevant or interesting to anyone besides you.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I mean besides that the comparison to Goat Sim is totally bollocks...

It was also often bundled and could be bought for as cheap as a dollar/euro.

9 million people buying a 30$/€ game for full price is on a slightly different level...

Also PUBG is fun for longer than a hour like Goat Sim...

The Average play time with PUBG is over 80 hours (its 7 hours for Goat Sim, which is surprisingly high I must admit)... so I don't think people just buy this to be in and hip but cause its fun and they cant stop playing.

GodofWine

Maybe i should give it a try while it's still a thing i guess..

The game would have to lose 99% of its players to make matchmaking an issue. It could lose 95% and still be on the first page of steamcharts. And that's if no one else ever buys it.

It will be there when you are ready

JDB

Banned
Probably only H1Z1. There was a thread not long ago here that talked about that game topping 7 million users, about half of whom are from China
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1427000

That said, it's concurrents aren't as high (100k)
http://steamcharts.com/app/433850#All
Ark's population numbers are only slightly lower than H1Z1's and have been pretty steady since launch
DayZ consistently had a good amount of players and the mod drastically increased population numbers of Arma 2 for several years
Rust's population went down after the initial release period but bounced back up again years later for an extended period of time

Of course this isn't anywhere near PUBG numbers, but the population for all these games has at least at some point been steady and not insignificant for years. They're not games that got dropped the moment another thing came along.

PeterGAF

Banned
lol at calling Battlegrounds a "memish phenomenon"

Out. Of. Touch.

Durante

Yeah us "old timers" are used to only the smoothest experiences, like playing Doom MP over a BNC LAN on a bunch of 486s. No rough edges at all there.

Or hooking up a 38k modem to play Tribes 2, just absolutely the least janky thing imaginable, how can I be expected to put up with an inferior experience to that?

PC gaming has always been about the rough edges, the jank, the broken shit.

Sure someone like Blizzard will eventually take a genre and polish it until it shines, but without Team Fortress 2 there'd be no Overwatch. Without Team Fortress Classic there'd be no Team Fortress 2. Without Quake TF there'd be no Team Fortress Classic.

Be under no illusions: Quake TF was a fucking mess. But it was still incredible.
Yeah, "old time" to me is manually configuring autoexec.bat and config.sys for each game to make sure it gets the amount of EMS and XMS memory it wants :p

I don't associate "old-school" with "polished".

Zemm

PUBG really doesn't feel like an early access game. Nor does it feel low budget.

Some of this talk is hurting my brain.

If it doesn't have a poor story, shitloads of boring cutscenes and voice acting then it's low budget eastern european jank.

The_Super_Inframan

Yeah, "old time" to me is manually configuring autoexec.bat and config.sys for each game to make sure it gets the amount of EMS and XMS memory it wants :p

I don't associate "old-school" with "polished".

yeah, true enough...

I'm pushing 40 and have the time of my life with this game.

Either you have fun or not, doesn't have anything to do with age... and unpolished games are fun all the time... not like its some novel concept.

Also I'm happy that the days of autoexec.bat, IRQs and all that jazz are over :D

If it doesn't have a poor story, shitloads of boring cutscenes and voice acting then it's low budget eastern european jank.

yeah, I have the feeling that sometimes a game (!) cant just be about gameplay anymore... all that other stuff you just mentioned is just not important for this game... I would even say it would make it much much worse

Zemm

yeah, I have the feeling that sometimes a game (!) cant just be about gameplay anymore... all that other stuff you just mentioned is just not important for this game... I would even say it would make it much much worse

I agree, I was just being sarcastic in my post in case that didn't come across. It really does feel like a lot of people who "don't get it" do so because it hasn't had a bloated marketing campaign, named voice actors and so on. This forum is very very console centric so when something like PUBG comes out and becomes incredibly popular you get old men yelling at clouds.

Nev

Banned
Why are some people so mad at this game's success? Console and/or Zelda fanboys mad that a multiplayer only PC exclusive (for now at least) is the most popular game of the year and will easily grab the GOTY award?

The salt, jesus.

Paz

Yeah us "old timers" are used to only the smoothest experiences, like playing Doom MP over a BNC LAN on a bunch of 486s. No rough edges at all there.

Or hooking up a 38k modem to play Tribes 2, just absolutely the least janky thing imaginable, how can I be expected to put up with an inferior experience to that?

PC gaming has always been about the rough edges, the jank, the broken shit.

Sure someone like Blizzard will eventually take a genre and polish it until it shines, but without Team Fortress 2 there'd be no Overwatch. Without Team Fortress Classic there'd be no Team Fortress 2. Without Quake TF there'd be no Team Fortress Classic.

Be under no illusions: Quake TF was a fucking mess. But it was still incredible.

If there's one thing that defines PC it's the cutting edge, and the cutting edge is rarely a polished streamlined version of a known quantity.

PUBG is a very 'PC' game, though in many ways it actually is just a mega refined version of older even more janky military shooters and mods :p It's the first massively acceptable revision.

The_Super_Inframan

I agree, I was just being sarcastic in my post in case that didn't come across. It really does feel like a lot of people who "don't get it" do so because it hasn't had a bloated marketing campaign, named voice actors and so on. This forum is very very console centric so when something like PUBG comes out and becomes incredibly popular you get old men yelling at clouds.

you are right

Why are some people so mad at this game's success? Console and/or Zelda fanboys mad that a multiplayer only PC exclusive (for now at least) is the most popular game of the year and will easily grab the GOTY award?

The salt, jesus.

people like to hate the popular kid it seems

Bluehole was the underdog, now people are rooting for the plucky EAs and Activisions to knock them down a peg, all in the span of 5 months.

Top Bottom