• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

antonz

upJTboogie said:
Can't wait to get Deus X from Toys R Us next week.

Also, is there a history of companies lying about supply constraints? Because I see a lot of people suggesting Sony did.
217490981_AaphK-XL-2.jpg

Banned
Syphon Filter said:
The continuation of the free 360 with laptop still helps. Also i think sony isn't lying when they said there was a shortage.

Did you hear one word from anyone anywhere saying they couldnt find a PS3? Did you see any store out of PS3s?

KorrZ

Mrbob said:
Interesting thought: Xbox 360 hardware numbers, while still number one, are down 13.7 percent versus last year and this is with the Kinect boost. Is Kinect the only thing keeping 360 hardware afloat?

Is Kinect even selling as well as the 360 hardware is right now? I know they said 10 million awhile ago but have any numbers been released since then?

Mastperf

pramath said:
I see.
I honestly hope the 3DS pulls a DS, to be honest. The handheld market is the one thing where I have full, almost blind faith, in Nintendo (less so after the fuck ups of this week, though), and I really do not want to see what is essentially a well designed system fail.
If you want to look on the bright side, just think that the 3ds is doing better than it should with how poorly Nintendo has handled it. There's not much more they could have done wrong.

pramath

Banned
Mastperf said:
If you want to look on the bright side, just think that the 3ds is doing better than it should with how poorly Nintendo has handled it. There's not much more they could have done wrong.
This is true :lol:
I've been saying for a while now, Nintendo is doing all it can to sabotage the 3DS, but the 3DS seems to be set for success anyway.

Mrbob said:
Interesting thought: Xbox 360 hardware numbers, while still number one, are down 13.7 percent versus last year and this is with the Kinect boost. Is Kinect the only thing keeping 360 hardware afloat?
PS3 is down yoy in a month they had a price cut and you want to talk about the 360 staying afloat?

300K+ sales is a big number for August. Being down slightly yoy says something about last years sales, not this years.

pramath said:
I've been saying for a while now, Nintendo is doing all it can to sabotage the 3DS, but the 3DS seems to be set for success anyway.

Not so much sabotage as it is completely misjudging the market, which happens, even after extensive research and planning.
3D didn't have the draw, the price was higher than many were willing to pay and third parties completely blew it.

Slime

Banned
Pretty sad that the PS3 can only barely edge out the mostly dying Wii in a year with so many high profile releases and in a month with a price drop. Not terrible, but pretty weak.

BurntPork

Banned
Archie said:
Will Just Dance just die already? Ugh.
I agree.

3DS price cut was a total bust. Looks like it's still dead in the US. :/ Maybe people are waiting for Flare Red? Honestly, 3DS is looking like the next PSP...

pramath

Banned
AceBandage said:
Not so much sabotage as it is completely misjudging the market, which happens, even after extensive research and planning.
3D didn't have the draw, the price was higher than many were willing to pay and third parties completely blew it.
Launching with poor software, launching without most of the advertised features enabled, launching right before a massive software drought (that still hasn't ended), launching at a price that the market was not receptive to, and I won't mention the second analog slider since we have no idea whether that thing will become a mainstay...

It's almost like Sony with the PS3.

Elios83

The shortage thing was just a lame PR way to say that the first two weeks of August were weak (because of weak demand) and hindered the price drop effect for the month.
In July PS3 sold just 145k units, or 36k weekly. With PS3 August sales at 218k, post price drop weekly sales should be around 75k, so the price cut had the effect to double sales.
I think that the full effect will be seen in September, considering the new marketing campaign and games released like R3, still the fact that they're down yoy with the price drop is clearly disapponting.

antonz said:
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/217490981_AaphK-XL-2.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
How could I forget that, I was thinking more about lying in an official press release though.[QUOTE=Puppet Shadow]Same as the PS3's that came with Bravia TV's and the Vaio laptops.[/QUOTE]
Never been confirmed those are counted as sales as far as I know.

JudgeN

Slime said:
Pretty sad that the PS3 can only barely edge out the mostly dying Wii in a year with so many high profile releases and in a month with a price drop. Not terrible, but pretty weak.

Other than Deus Ex what was the other high profile releases?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Elios83 said:
The shortage thing was just a lame PR way to say that the first two weeks of August were weak (because of weak demand) and hindered the price drop effect for the month.
In July PS3 sold just 145k units, or 36k weekly. With PS3 August sales at 218k, post price drop weekly sales should be around 75k, so the price cut had the effect to double sales.
I think that the full effect will be seen in September, considering the new marketing campaign and games released like R3, still the fact that they're down yoy with the price drop is clearly disapponting.

At this point in the generation it's probably going to be very hard to be up yoy in the holiday months, for everyone.

Time for new consoles...

Mastperf

AceBandage said:
Pretty much. While I'll probably get a Vita day 1, I'm expecting the price to weigh it down just as heavily.

TheOddOne

Sony PR was a bit longer this time, glad they learned from the "fantastic" PR they did last month. Good sales all around.

pramath said:
Nintendo really can't win. Third parties have always bitched that they couldn't compete with Nintendo's games, so Nintendo said 'Ok, we'll play nice and give you the launch window to sell your games'. Third parties this spring then said 'Uh... shit, so you're calling our bluff?'

I'm possibly paraphrasing here...

Mrbob

Elios83 said:

Agreed. Two years and only a 50 dollar price drop is a bit weak, though. I think the only thing that will turn the tide will be new consoles. This extended generation is going to start taking a toll, if it hasn't already looking at the overall hardware sales this month.

I'm still thinking Sony will go $199 next year when the Wii U is available, but with the slow drip in price decreases I don't believe the 199 bump will be as big as what happened with the PS2 and PS1.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Mrbob said:
It's absolutely the reason. Kinect has been taking the Wii marketshare for quite some time now.

Karma said:
Did you hear one word from anyone anywhere saying they couldnt find a PS3? Did you see any store out of PS3s?
Geez man, calm down. :p

How many 360 sales do people think are from that laptop deal? Would it make a huge difference if they were removed from NPD?

What exactly is the deal anyway?

pramath said:
Launching with poor software, launching without most of the advertised features enabled, launching right before a massive software drought (that still hasn't ended), launching at a price that the market was not receptive to, and I won't mention the second analog slider since we have no idea whether that thing will become a mainstay...

It's almost like Sony with the PS3.

Except that Nintendo fixed pretty much all the problems pretty quick.
Rather than just sitting on it, they took drastic measures to correct those misjudgements.
There are still things they could fix (like better handling of their eShop releases), but for the most part, they're in a very good position.
The general market won't even notice the sudden change in direction.

antonz

upJTboogie said:
How could I forget that, I was thinking more about lying in an official press release though.
Never been confirmed those are counted as sales as far as I know.
I dont think they outright lie they do the Obi Wan kenobi from a certain point of view thing. Say Bundle A is nearly sold out while Bundle B,C,D are in plenty supply. They can say from a certain point of view that there is a supply constraint because Bundle A is limited.

Elios83 said:

$50, while nice, I don't think is enough to do gangbusters.

NA, the PS3's fate is sealed. Worldwide, different story.

I wonder what Europe numbers will look like next month.

KageMaru

Yay at DE being #1, hope it's a huge success for the studio. Can't believe BLOPS is still up that high on the list, I bet it'll stay in the top 10 until MW3 is released. =/

Hardware sales all around seem good though, especially considering it's a summer month.

bigtroyjon said:
PS3 is down yoy in a month they had a price cut and you want to talk about the 360 staying afloat?

It's MrBob, what did you expect?

Puppet Shadow said:
Same as the PS3's that came with Bravia TV's and the Vaio laptops.

I keep seeing this mentioned in response to the free 360s being counted. Where and when have these sales taken place because I can't find any ads or info about this now.

allan-bh

GarthVaderUK said:
How many 360 sales do people think are from that laptop deal? Would it make a huge difference if they were removed from NPD?

What exactly is the deal anyway?

Free X360 with a purchase of a selected PC ($699 or more) with Windows 7.

I doubt add more than 10k-20k.

Mrbob said:
Agreed. Two years and only a 50 dollar price drop is a bit weak, though. I think the only thing that will turn the tide will be new consoles. This extended generation is going to start taking a toll, if it hasn't already looking at the overall hardware sales this month.

That is true but i still think both Sony and MS going to hold on for while longer this gen.
Sony seem to be doing okay world wide same for MS so it all about profit right now.
Just looking at Sony goal for the year you could tell they knew the $50 price cut was just to keep sales the same as last year .

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
As people are saying, $50 price cut is nothing, I expected a mild bump in sales that was it, they really needed to knock a $100's off to get the system shifting.

antonz

I am curious as to why people are making the assumption the PC deal has any effect on these numbers. Nothing said indicates anything to make such an assumption.

It seems like people are desperate to explain 360 sales versus PS3. The PC/360 deal has been in effect since May. Seems like sour milk to start trying to make excuses in September

The laptop thing was for Students right? So I think its fair to say all those were buying a 360 for the free Laptop. An expensive 360, but a free laptop none the less. That's how students think yeah?

pramath

Banned
AceBandage said:
Except that Nintendo fixed pretty much all the problems pretty quick.
Rather than just sitting on it, they took drastic measures to correct those misjudgements.
There are still things they could fix (like better handling of their eShop releases), but for the most part, they're in a very good position.
The general market won't even notice the sudden change in direction.
True. Unlike Sony, Nintendo responded almost immediately, and is basically doing everything it can to rectify the situation (one might even argue that they are over responding).
Now just get demos to the eShop, and give me messaging in my friends list, and we'll be set.

Explaining away good 360 numbers with a deal that's been in effect since May and requires you to drop $700 doesn't make sense to me.

KageMaru said:
I keep seeing this mentioned in response to the free 360s being counted. Where and when have these sales taken place because I can't find any ads or info about this now.
Laptop promo was last summer, Bravia deal was earlier this year. When you look at how the PS3 did in those months, it really didn't make that much of an impact, I'd guess less than 15,000.

Found you a video that explains the impact:
PS3 launches at Bravia TV

pramath said:
True. Unlike Sony, Nintendo responded almost immediately, and is basically doing everything it can to rectify the situation (one might even argue that they are over responding).
Now just get demos to the eShop, and give me messaging in my friends list, and we'll be set.

Demos are hitting this year (we might even hear about them Tuesday).
Messaging... hopefully soon.

pramath

Banned
AceBandage said:
Demos are hitting this year (we might even hear about them Tuesday).
Messaging... hopefully soon.
Yes, those are actually two of the announcements that I expect from Nintendo's conference.

Duxxy3

$80 price drop and it didn't even hit 250k

3DS is dead as doornail in this country. Looks like all it did was eat away from the DS market.

PS3 sales were a bit lower than i expected but i wasn't expecting a huge bump with such a small price cut.

Top Bottom