• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2012 Sales Results [Up2: MW3 Sales, (Down ~50% Over BLOPS, But Still #1)]

Last January actually had some big game releases, like Dead Space 2 and LBP 2.
A "family game" like LBP2 releasing in January turned out to be a bad call, as I recall it only selling around 1/3 of what LBP1 sold in the end. LBP2 should have been released in time for Christmas. Games aimed at older audiences have a better shot in January.

You know what this industry needs? A new handheld!

Seriously though I wonder if a generation in decline will actually help the Vita just because people want something new. I know that's a big part of the draw to me...

Price cuts typically only boost a system for a month or two. See last generation when Gamecube dropped to 149 and then finally to 99. And then after that they started including a game. It's not a situation like the 3DS, this generation has overstayed its welcome.
The PS3 at $299 had sustained yoy growth for a calender year, did it not? Not to mention the PS2 at $199.

MS needs to drop the HDD + Kinect sku below $399 before next gen, unless they plan on scaring the world off with the price of their new console. Price drop by Halo 4 release.

Price cuts typically only boost a system for a month or two.
Nope.
See last generation when Gamecube dropped to 149 and then finally to 99. And then after that they started including a game. It's not a situation like the 3DS, this generation has overstayed its welcome.
How about we look at this generation and the 360/PS3 sales after a price cut instead of looking at a system that never sold?

So that doesn't explain away the drop in sales then.

No. It doesn't.

As I said, it's not money being tight . Recent reports show salaries increasing again and lower unemployment. 360 is at a lower price than wii launched.

It's not a lack of important games in January. There weren't many last January. The only new one was Dead Space 2 last January NPD.

The reason is blatantly obvious, but people don't want to accept it.

Nov+Dec in 2011 was 10% up for xbox 360 though, that is about 300.000 more sales to 2010 i think

360 was down in December from November when December usually sees a 10-50% boost.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
lol at 270K sales in January being anemic, especially when the console hasn't had a price cut for ages. If they actually cared about unit sales instead of making money, they would have dropped the price a while ago.

This thread has gone off the deep end.
I'm speculating about Feb-Nov 2012, because I don't see any indication that sales are on an upward trend.

Kazerei

Banned
No. It doesn't.

As I said, it's not money being tight . Recent reports show salaries increasing again and lower unemployment. 360 is at a lower price than wii launched.

It's not a lack of important games in January. There weren't many last January. The only new one was Dead Space 2 last January NPD.

Don't forget Pachter's explanation: maybe the NPD is getting faulty data!

Price cuts typically only boost a system for a month or two. See last generation when Gamecube dropped to 149 and then finally to 99. And then after that they started including a game. It's not a situation like the 3DS, this generation has overstayed its welcome.

Don't judge all price cuts based on loser console performance

I think all 3 manufacturers bloated Black Friday sales a) skewed expectations for December, and b) show that consumers are very price conscious about the current console offerings.

December sales were light because everyone got what they wanted the last week of November. The Wii needs to be $99 this year, the PS3 and 360 $199 at the top end, $149 on the low.

legend166

Is this the longest time period ever between new (major) console releases?

Going on American releases for major systems:

NES - 1985 -> Mega Drive - 1989 - four years

SNES - 1991 -> PS1 - 1995 - four years

N64 - 1996 -> Dreamcast - 1999 - three years

GameCube/Xbox - 2001 -> Xbox 360 - 2005 - four years

We've past the four year point now for this generation.

I get the feeling Nintendo will be a good position being first to market.

nasos_333

No. It doesn't.

360 was down in December from November when December usually sees a 10-50% boost.

But the point is that was still up in both months combined, comparing to 2010

Which more than evens out a slower January

They sold 300.000 better in Nov+Dec and sold 120.000 less in January, it is still an overall increase, which is all that matters imo

LQX

How is the the Wii and PS3 selling close to 150K each less of problem/discussion than 360 selling close to both of them combined? That's sort of backwards...no?

But the point is that was still up in both months combined, comparing to 2010

Which more than evens out a slower January

They sold 300.000 better in Nov+Dec and sold 120.000 less in January, it is still an overall increase, which is all that matters imo

Trajectory matters too

If this continues in Feb and March then MS will price cut in May-June instead of August-September

I think all 3 manufacturers bloated Black Friday sales a) skewed expectations for December, and b) show that consumers are very price conscious about the current console offerings.

December sales were light because everyone got what they wanted the last week of November. The Wii needs to be $99 this year, the PS3 and 360 $199 at the top end, $149 on the low.

Didn't Sony just say that they were unhappy with the results of the last PS3 price cut? Not sure they'll go through with another this year especially considering that the company in general is losing a ton of money.

Mr Swine

Banned
How is the the Wii and PS3 selling close to 150K each less of problem/discussion than 360 selling close to both of them combined? That's sort of backwards...no?

Because they are down YoY and people are expecting the 360 sales to rise this year?

watership

Wii U is going to clean up with a year head start.

It will? It's not going to be the same head start 360 had at all. And when the new xbox/ps4 come out, it will be very outclassed in power and developers will make games based on those two consoles and portdown for Wii U. Doesn't look too good to me.

DamSea

That's my question. Why are people mentioning the PS3 and 360 in the same breath? They are in vastly different positions.

I think what's depressing was the lack of interesting titles released in January.

If it wasn't for the Move Mayhem sale I wouldn't have bought anything in January.

Hero

The PS3 at $299 had sustained yoy growth for a calender year, did it not? Not to mention the PS2 at $199.

MS needs to drop the HDD + Kinect sku below $399 before next gen, unless they plan on scaring the world off with the price of their new console. Price drop by Halo 4 release.

Did the PS3? I'm trying to find the data right now but I don't recall PS3 having that remarkable success even after its various price cuts.

I agree a price drop would help MS transition better into next-generation territory but I don't think it will magically make all these problems YoY go away.

Nope.

How about we look at this generation and the 360/PS3 sales after a price cut instead of looking at a system that never sold?

Okay, so compared to the price that the PS3 launched at and the price it is now, how is that exactly backing up your claim?

You can take this month's result in two ways...
1) We're in a recessions, unemployment is as high as ever, the average selling price of the HD consoles is still too high ($300); people are waiting for price drops for current consoles.
2) People are tired of the old consoles and are now waiting for new handhelds/consoles.

One is more logical than the other.
Wat? Who in the hell is expecting the 360's sales to rise this year?
The 360 has been on an upward trend for a while now and seems to be peaking currently; a price drop is also definitely in the cards this year; not to mention the last big First Party Hurrah (HALO 4). It's quite natural to assume that this will be the Xbox 360's peak year.

The price drop is key though. A decent price drop ($75 or more) and it will easily push the 360 up YoY.

jman2050

1) We're in a recessions, unemployment is as high as ever, the average selling price of the HD consoles is still too high ($300); people are waiting for price drops for current consoles.
2) People are tired of the old consoles and are now waiting for new handhelds/consoles.

Both?

shandy706

Doubt it.

I expected the Wii to do well, I expect the Wii U to be greeted much like the Vita. Early adopters/loyal fans will eat it up. Everyone else will go "meh". I expect Microsoft to announce the Nextbox before the Wii U gets here, and it will take a lot of attention from it.

It will? It's not going to be the same head start 360 had at all. And when the new xbox/ps4 come out, it will be very outclassed in power and developers will make games based on those two consoles and portdown for Wii U. Doesn't look too good to me.
I don't believe the Wii U will be significantly outclassed, and Nintendo games in HD will be a big selling factor.

Cheech

IMO, we are well past the stage of "killer apps" selling 6 year old consoles to anybody. If the giant libraries of a console hasn't pushed anybody over by now, it's not going to happen in any respectable number.

I think it is entirely possible that that January number is as high as it's going to be until the fall. And if Nintendo times the Wii U right? It's lights out for the PS3/360.

Tookay

Doubt it.

I expected the Wii to do well, I expect the Wii U to be greeted much like the Vita. Early adopters/loyal fans will eat it up. Everyone else will go "meh". I expect Microsoft to announce the Nextbox before the Wii U gets here, and it will take a lot of attention from it.

Just like how Sony announced the Vita and stole all the 3DS' thunder right?

Kazerei

Banned

Pachter

Probably both. Late adopters are waiting for price drops, early adopters are waiting for new consoles.

antonz

For being a gaming forum I dont know how half the people around here can claim to be gamers. Gaf is turning too casual.

This Gen is over the hill and way too long for the people that matter. The people who jumped in from the get go. No one gives a shit what "Johnny $99bucksonly" thinks.

Those people are not going to jump in to the next gen when it launches and will wait til its 99 bucks.

Did the PS3? I'm trying to find the data right now but I don't recall PS3 having that remarkable success even after its various price cuts.

I agree a price drop would help MS transition better into next-generation territory but I don't think it will magically make all these problems YoY go away.

Okay, so compared to the price that the PS3 launched at and the price it is now, how is that exactly backing up your claim?

The PS3 price cut to $299 gave it YoY improvements every month for 1 year, then when we got back around to the month of the price cut its been negative almost every month since.

360 got a jolt from Kinect but it will need a price cut soon. MS doesn't have to worry about the exchange rate so I doubt this will be a problem.

lol

Have to do it.
. "I'm impressed that they had the confidence to charge $249; I think that they're going to regret it. It's going to sell out and they're leaving money on the table. I'm impressed that they're this consumer friendly – that really matters. So it's not shareholder friendly, but consumers are going to love the $249 price point. We can call bullsh*t on Reggie [Fils-Aime] a lot, but I actually agree with him. If you explain the feature set to most consumers, they would say $300 or more. So $249 is a bargain, and I think this thing is going to be on eBay for $500 immediately," he said.

He continued, "I think the biggest problem they'll have is that you'll never see one in stores in 2011. It'll be sold out forever. We'll get like a million or 1.25 million, and so will Europe, and those will be gone in weeks. Let's hope they can make 2 million a month and ship 800,000 a month to the U.S. so consumers have a prayer of getting one by Christmas.

DarkPanda

Yeah, the Wii was basically hit with every single obstacle possible from third parties and Nintendo's efforts with third parties were far too late to change anything. It would have been a true monster if it got the proper support.

The Wii could have been another PS2 if 3rd parties didn't hate Nintendo so much.

Thinking about prices and next-gen, if the WiiU launches between $300-$400, and MS doesn't price cut the Kinect bundle too aggressively, then it's possible that WiiU could launch at a price that's close to or even at parity with the most expensive 360 SKU. That would certainly make things interesting this fall.

The Wii could have been another PS2 if 3rd parties didn't hate Nintendo so much.

Why does everyone keep repeating this as if it's a matter of fact? The collapse of third party support was based on the failure of numerous hardcore third party games in the beginning years of the console.

There is a reason why we are on Just Dance 3 but there is no more de Blob or Elebits or Red Steel.

Nintendo made its own bed with the Wii. Between souring relationships with third parties and scaling back their own first party development for the console.

shandy706

Just like how Sony announced the Vita and stole all the 3DS' thunder right?

No

Not comparable.

Sony's PR and advertising is nonexistent, so its a nonfactor.

Microsoft, just like the Kinect, will makes sure everyone on earth hears about their new thing.

Road

Jan 2006 home console total: ~600k*
Jan 2007 home console total: ~510k*

Jan 2012 home console total: ~550k

*last gen only

Also, got to love Pachter trying to bend reality to fit his predictions. This may surpass his "Playstation Move killed the Wii" and "WiiU is WiiHD" statements that he's made recently.

Tookay

What a mess.
New consoles are necessary but goddamn I am not looking forward to any of them in the slightest.

Not looking forward to paying for them, but this gen has run out of steam creatively and hype-wise.

(Not that creativity's going to run wild next-gen with higher dev costs, but maybe it'd give some new IPs or reimaginings of older series a chance to shake up the status quo at least.)

antonz

Why does everyone keep repeating this as if it's a matter of fact? The collapse of third party support was based on the failure of numerous hardcore third party games in the beginning years of the console.

There is a reason why we are on Just Dance 3 but there is no more de Blob or Elebits or Red Steel.

Nintendo made its own bed with the Wii. Between souring relationships with third parties and scaling back their own first party development for the console.

You have some amazing rewriting of history abilities. 3rd Parties never actually invested heavily in the Wii.

PS3 was crowned Generation winner before the generation even started so development assets were assigned accordingly. Nintendo was forced to blow its development load due to the lack of assistance from others and that did negatively impact last half generation production.

3rd parties made their bed and were forced to sleep in it. Nintendo certainly didnt help with the power gap but to pretend 3rd parties actually tried is a laugh

Not looking forward to paying for them, but this gen has run out of steam creatively and hype-wise.

(Not that creativity's going to run wild next-gen with higher dev costs, but maybe it'd give some new IPs a chance or at least reimaginings of older series to shake up the status quo.)

This gen needs to end. It's gone on far too long and on a personal level, I'm glad to see poor sales. This will hopefully jumpstart next gen and will serve as a wakeup call to the industry that we need new hardware.

It didn't seem unlikely before the last 2 months. Why is everybody acting like they knew it all along? After November, you didnt know it nor anybody else. Things were rolling at that point.

Plus they can do a price cut...with these numbers it would look like the cut would be needed just to match last year at best though.

Top Bottom