• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2011 Sales Results [Update5: Most HW in, Infamous 2]

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Wario64 said:
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/here-are-the-best-selling-games-in-june-hint-duke-wasnt-1/3487/

L.A. Noire sold 419,000 copies over the course of the month, while Duke Nukem Forever sold 376,300, I'm told. It's crucial to note, however, that these numbers do not include digital sales, only physical.

Seems that there were still low software sales overall, even if Pachter says 75% was caused by Wii.

Kusagari said:
Wii software is selling like shit because there is no software.

If they don't own a Wii by now no single game is going to get them to buy one....

Kusagari said:
No, it's not the only reason. However, it is the main reason for the massive drops we're seeing month to month from last year. Instead of trying to alleviate the situation, NoA has just given up and abandoned the platform. That is shitty management.

NoA doesn't make the games...... And I highly doubt three marginal games that the average Wii buyer has never heard of would have made a bit of difference.

Wario64 said:
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/here-are-the-best-selling-games-in-june-hint-duke-wasnt-1/3487/

L.A. Noire sold 419,000 copies over the course of the month, while Duke Nukem Forever sold 376,300, I'm told. It's crucial to note, however, that these numbers do not include digital sales, only physical.

Software sales were pretty awful if those are combined across the multiple platforms.

Makes the Microsoft sales surge even more impressive then

dallow_bg said:
It'd be MUCH greater than 507k if so.

Ah I gotcha, yeah probably. Was just pointing out that a lot of free hardware counts towards sales figures, so it's not quite as underhanded as it might appear.

Arnie said:
360 is a beast, it really is the PS2 of this generation, in the US and UK at least.

Glad to see inFamous 2 so high up too, great standing for a single platform title.
nah, lets not push this really far, it is not, unless it sells 100 million more in the next 5 years. PS2 dominated everything in every region, 360 in one of its best (best?) months in terms of market share, is at 48%.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Arnie said:
360 is a beast, it really is the PS2 of this generation

woooo there cowboy, slow down.

Although I agree they system is going like the clappers at the moment I certainly wouldn't be giving it the PS2 crown yet, or if ever tbh.

Luckyman

Banned
Nintendo is atleast a year late on Wii U and now Wii brand is dying. They thought Wii would last until 2012...

Nintendo needs to rebrand Wii U to have a shot. Even then with higher price and with non competitive online more consumers want it could be DOA.

UberTag

Wario64 said:

That's a disaster number for DNF compared with initial sales expectations.
Everything new in June = BOMBA with the exception of inFAMOUS 2.

The 360 Slim models are pretty nice. With a fair price, Kinect, XBLA, and great games and the preferred system for Call of Duty...it's no surprise that it's knocking it out of the park every NPD!

Arnie

Suppose PS2 was rather hyperbolic, although it's hard not to be when a console sells 502,000 in June without any notable software releases and a competing platform releasing a first party sequel.

Jokeropia

pseudocaesar said:
I chuckle when I remember back when the Wii was going balls to the wall there were people saying its a fad and it wont last, who were just dismissed as fanboys. Its true really
No it isn't. Wii has a pretty typical console lifelength, it's just the 360's that is unusually extended.

Luckyman said:
Nintendo is atleast a year late on Wii U and now Wii brand is dying. They thought Wii would last until 2012...

Nintendo needs to rebrand Wii U to have a shot. Even then with higher price and with non competitive online more consumers want it could be DOA.

I don't think so.

Luckyman said:

Nintendo's bigger problem is finding a way to get the Wii user who bought two games then stuck their wii in a closet to come back for another go around.

outunderthestars said:
N4G? How can a favorite game be ruined? I can see how a franchise could be ruined, but how about a game? Did MS break into your house and shit on the cart/disc?

N4G is like a war of Fanboyism. And since they got rid of the zones, trolling is out of control. Most Mods are fanboys/girls too. You'll notice which ones are working when PS3 trolls are getting away with it and 360 trolls arent and visaversa.

Well, Oddworld went to Xbox and the series was put on a long hold do to issues with MS. Munch was going to be the mascot of Xbox with Oddworld, but Halo won in the statistics of 'what would be bigger'. Well I love Halo and jukods for that but they killed off the franchise. Just seems like MS can't multitask. They can't support the hardcore and the casual, it's all or nothing and right now, they are all for Kinect. The make billions a year and focus everything on one game like Gears. I respect their marketing skills but I think they should have a heart for gaming. They will make money regardless but it would be nice to see MS taking the risks Sony does. I think they could actually deliver if they just creative people make the LBPs and ICOs and Flowers on the 360. Doesn't have to be a shooter catered to a 16yo with a hard on all the time.

And no. MS didn't deficate on my spagetti...lol

NecrumSlavery said:
Sony is about 3mil behind 360. They closed a 9 million gap in less than 18months. MS should kiss America's ass because if they realized how bad Ms has been screwing them and then turned, Sony would come out ahead like they do everywhere else in the world.

i haven't seen a post like this in awhile.

DNF selling that well makes me wonder how much time watching loading screens has been wasted

Kusagari said:
No, it's not the only reason. However, it is the main reason for the massive drops we're seeing month to month from last year. Instead of trying to alleviate the situation, NoA has just given up and abandoned the platform. That is shitty management.
NoA are smart not to release games that will obviously under perform like Xenoblade. Outside of that, NoA aren't the problem with Wii, Nintendo in Japan misjudged the long term potential of the system, which is why it's such a wasteland now.

Road

Xbox 360's biggest non-holiday months:
Code:
2011	FEB	535,000
2007	SEP	528,000
2011	JUN	507,000
2010	SEP	484,000
2010	JUN	452,000
2010	JUL	444,000
2011	MAR	433,000
2010	FEB	422,000
2009	FEB	391,000
2011	JAN	381,000

Luckyman said:

depends on the price, launched at 299$ and below, it'll sell like pasta. Point is, HD consoles haven't sold much more than 100 million combined, even if we exclude thoses with bricked consoles or both consoles, and if the departure from core PC market and PS2 numbers are anything to go by, there are at least 50 million core gamer that don't own an HD console. At the right price, Wii U being a next gen console, will be really attractive. Unless they somehow manage to fuck up Online.

NateDrake said:
No big shockers there. Ocarina did well and inFamous 2 did really well. Nice to see a PS3 exclusive in the Top 3.

Also nice to see it as the #1 SKU for once.

Good Lord, the 360 will not stop selling.

Jokeropia

outunderthestars said:
Nintendo's bigger problem is finding a way to get the Wii user who bought two games then stuck their wii in a closet to come back for another go around.
Judging by the attach rates, the amount of such users is insignificant.

lowrider007 said:
wow the 360 is on fire in the states, serious question, why?

Has to be live surely?

For many people, myself included, it is where all your friends are at. So when it comes time to think about multiplatform titles, you go there. Not to mention that yes, for some people, the Live experience is much better than Sony's. (Not a fanboy. I own everything except the Wii and 3DS).

Camilos

Banned
Elginer said:
Any Shadows of the Damned numbers?
Not the best place to ask but can you tell me how the controls are for this game? Are they more like Resident Evil (tank controls) or more like GofW controls? I'm just watching some videos of this game and it looks fawesome, I can't believe the things they say in Spanish.

Busaiku

outunderthestars said:
Wii's attach rate is pretty close to PS3's.

walking fiend said:
depends on the price, launched at 299$ and below, it'll sell like pasta. Point is, HD consoles haven't sold much more than 100 million combined, even if we exclude thoses with bricked consoles or both consoles, and if the departure from core PC market and PS2 numbers are anything to go by, there are at least 50 million core gamer that don't own an HD console. At the right price, Wii U being a next gen console, will be really attractive. Unless they somehow manage to fuck up Online.
50 million from where?

Duxxy3

outunderthestars said:

The Wii is dead. Better off moving their resources to getting the Wii U out with a good lineup and a solid price.

I dont get the 360 sales at all.

Sofwate says its not Kinect related...

So who the hell is buying?

Surely the Duke/LA Noire crowd has owned the console for years right?

Montresor

Keep going 360, very well deserving sales.

This gen has been pretty amazing. i'm guessing Shadows of the Damned bombed hard? Breaks my heart. That's my GOTY contender. D=

outunderthestars said:

They'll do just fine. With 360 possibly releasing in 2015, and Sony bundling Moves with PS4, they will have the price advantage with a pretty long headstart for Wii U.

Smision said:
the wii is such a weird system. sold out for 2 years, peaked with NSMB then just about nothing, with mario galaxy 2 in there somewhere and skyward sword as the final nail in the coffin.
That's what a market leader without market leading 3rd party support looks like. Nintendo can't keep things going entirely on their own.

Jokeropia said:
No it isn't. Wii has a pretty typical console lifelength, it's just the 360's that is unusually extended.
Actually, how's it compare to PS2 launch aligned?

outunderthestars said:

Exactly. They need to advertise their damn library....and keep releasing stuff.

Aim the ads at the wii sports crowd that hasnt touched it in years.

These people arent going to buy a Wii U if their Wii hasnt been used in 2+ years. Get the wii under the TV if you want the Wii U to be relevant.

Top Bottom