• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2012 Results [Up1: Microsoft/Nintendo Hardware, Lego Batman 2, Lollipop]

Elios83

:lol

So you're expecting the CoD Vita bundle (with memory card) to cost $70 less than the handheld does right now? If Sony really cares about profitability, it's not getting that much of a pricedrop.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 199$ Vita bundles (Vita+4GB memory card+first party game voucher) this holiday season.
That is if they're serious about turning its fortunes around.
If they think that they can keep the current price and hope that two spinoffs will do it for them...then LOL the failure will be brutal.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Week 36:

iTzfLbjEh3G9D.png

Week 38 (DS at the end of 2007)

i7a2UKQztSAYm.png

Thanks. So the 3DS has about 10 months before (in launch aligned terms) the DS really begins its step change into high gear.

That's a pretty decent timeframe to work with.

Matt

I wouldn't be surprised to see 199$ Vita bundles (Vita+4GB memory card+first party game voucher) this holiday season.
If they think that they can keep the current price and hope that two spinoffs will do it for them...then LOL the failure will be brutal.

I don't even want to think about how much such a package would cost Sony.

qq more

Where the hell are you getting 350$ from ? If Sony is smart they will bundle the game+system+memory card together for a minimum of 179.99 no more than 200.00. And you seriously underestimate the biggest gaming IP of all times. If CoD was ever a 360 exclusive (even if it was a timed exclusive) 360 is selling 2 million that month from ps3 owners alone if its around Christmas/black Friday time and 360 was around 150.

Its definitely possible. Nintendo owners dont really buy third party games and they still sell over 1 million. User base means jack squat for Nintendo consoles and 3rd party games.

Mario makes more money than CoD? I didn't know that. Do they seriously?
Wowwwwww. There is no words. lol

Can they afford to do so though? Sony isn't exactly swimming in money right now and the yen-USD exchange is probably still hurting them.

SkylineRKR

Unless we get some positive news about CoD Vita, it could sell less than what CoD Wii typically gets. I mean, I doubt people bought Wiis to play CoD - it sold to people who already owned the system. And the Vita install base is nowhere near the size of the Wii's.

As somebody said above, how many people are going to drop $300+ instead of $60 to play CoD on Vita instead of PS360?

Yeah, it also depends on the Vita userbase in the west by then. Which won't be something significant when going by this rate, lol.

As for me, I don't really have much faith in this project.

But I believe Wii versions also didn't open all that well, did they ever chart? Its just that the big userbase ensured some legs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thanks. So the 3DS has about 10 months before (in launch aligned terms) the DS really begins its step change into high gear.

Unfortunately it looks like its going to miss a similar mainline Pokémon release unless they step up their time table.

I know everyone is laughing at him but does mario actually make more money than COD? Don't forget that COD is an annual release. It's sales numbers this gen would dwarf every other franchise this gen including mario.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Can they afford to do so though? Sony isn't exactly swimming in money right now and the yen-USD exchange is probably still hurting them.

Can they afford it? It is probably their plan, the project 10m Vita sales, it's not like they are winging it. They maximize profit margin with first adopters, then cut their margin for a more mass market approach which coincides with the holidays and software releases. Does no one remember the 3DS first year?

Aren't there rumors that CoD Vita will be 50 bucks like Uncharted?

Makes that cheap a bundle seem even less likely.

It was 50 bucks on Wal Mart.com, but I guess we'll see.
I know everyone is laughing at him but does mario actually make more money than COD? Don't forget that COD is an annual release. It's sales numbers this gen would dwarf every other franchise this gen including mario.

We're talking about the Mario IP here which includes sports games, NSMB DS, NSMBW, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, Mario and Luigi, Super Paper Mario, etc. Oh and I forgot about the biggest of the Mario IPs Mario Kart which is bigger than any Call of Duty. It' not even a question.

Also lets be fair, it doesnt HAVE to follow the script, or do better......I mean no system ever has hit the 160 mil barrier, and it never will

Can they afford it? It is probably their plan, the project 10m Vita sales, it's not like they are winging it. They maximize profit margin with first adopters, then cut their margin for a more mass market approach which coincides with the holidays and software releases. Does no one remember the 3DS first year?

Source?

Elios83

I don't even want to think about how much such a package would cost Sony.

Not really that much, Vita is not sold at a loss and it's made with mobiles parts whose price goes down significantly every 6 months.
The rest, voucher for downloadable first party game (Uncharted?) and 4GB card is just added value for the customer but not an actual significant cost for them.

Also as with PS3 in its first year, and Nintendo with the 3DS price cut, there are situations when you don't have an option, you either lose something right now, or you throw all the R&D, marketing and money invested in development away if the platform fails. And that's by far the worst thing.

Unfortunately it looks like its going to miss a similar mainline Pokémon release unless they step up their time table.

I wouldnt be so sure about that

Nintendo just trademarked so many pokemon names that they couldnt accurately be reflected in the trademark report for last week

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
9thwonder

Hopefully we'll get specific Vita and PS3 numbers. If we don't I'm sure jvm could give a good estimate.
What about all the spinoffs? CoD does make mad dollars, but it's limited to an annual release. Mario has multiple spinoffs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Mario has multiple yearly releases and the budget for each Mario game has to be lower. They don't have to pay any licensing fees on anything whereas CoD has quite a few real world things in each game, not to mention the money they give Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo for their licensing costs.

StevieP

Banned

Mario Kart, on a single platform, sold more than any of the CoD games across 4 platforms.

jman2050

The simpler logic is that Sony made an egregiously bad forecast.

Matt

They have clearly been under preforming their goals so far, so I wouldn't give much stock to their projections...

Kusagari

Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Brothers, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, all the Mario RPGs.

I'm pretty sure Mario makes more.

McHuj

Anyone have the number of how much the industry is down year over year for the first 6 months of the year in total? It's gotta be ~30 or so down.

AniHawk

plenty of time to get a redesign out or drop the price to something far more reasonable.

or pokemon.

So this is all part of Sony's master plan eh...I remember that huge 3DS pricecut costing Nintendo hundreds of millions. And that's not including the fact that a 3DS costs much less to make than Vita.
I'm still puzzled as to how you keep implying that this is a bad thing for 3DS. It is outpacing every handheld except for the GBA, which was insane sales that we'll never see again.

Actually I was saying it was a good thing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's pretty telling for 3DS and especially for Vita.

I'm still puzzled as to how you keep implying that this is a bad thing for 3DS. It is outpacing every handheld except for the GBA, which was insane sales that we'll never see again.

This isn't comparable to the 3DS at all.

You think what happened to the 3DS was a strategy? A CEO made a public apology and took a pay-cut. This isn't a strategy. At all.

jman2050

Many more releases, smaller budgets, likely way smaller advertising dollars, comparable sales worldwide among mainline titles (both Mario Karts, both NSMBs), and lack of licensing fees being first party titles.

I COULD go into merchandising+licensing agreements to other companies, but I think that's a tad unfair. That's more Pokemon's area of expertise anyway (also a bigger moneymaker than COD btw)

Matt

Not really that much, Vita is not sold at a loss and it's made with mobiles parts whose price goes down significantly every 6 months.
The rest, voucher for downloadable first party game (Uncharted?) and 4GB card is just added value for the customer but not an actual significant cost for them.

Also as with PS3 in its first year, and Nintendo with the 3DS price cut, there are situations when you don't have an option, you either lose something right now, or you throw all the R&D, marketing and money invested in development away if the platform fails. And that's by far the worst thing.

Going from $330 revenue per buyer of the same package to $200 is going to fucking hurt, no matter how much it is rationalized.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
plenty of time to get a redesign out or drop the price to something far more reasonable.

or pokemon.

Actually it's pretty much a given that the first 3DS only Pokémon title will be sometime around fall 2013, well outside of the ten month timetable.

If you think everything is going according to keikaku (keikaku means plan), you have a lot more faith in Sony than most of us. I remember Nintendo lowering their 3DS forecasts a few times, so I can see Sony doing that here.

And again, financially, Sony is in more dire straits than Nintendo was.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

just three Mario games this gen have sold approximately 82 million copies combined

and they keep selling

I can see some 'It prints money gifs entering soon...' and yes it does...by quite a margin...
And thats just software sales, not the hardware profits Mario helps bring.

------

On the sales:
Good results for Nintendo - but they really should have changed those DS numbers over to the 3DS. Pokemon ain't going to help there; but I think it suits Ninty for now. Hopefully NSMB2 has 'some' affect.

Certainly the 'DS family' ain't weak anyway! Nintendo just needs to push people to the next system.

Can't say much on PSP/Vita, those numbers ain't great but not as bad as Japan.

Lollipop did much better than expected. Well done to it.

Why aren't microsoft commenting this month?

They're usually quick with the PR too.

When GAF predicts success, failure, when GAF predicts failure, success.

DS, Wii, Kinect, 3DS, now Vita.

70% of the time, GAF is wrong.

There was some Vita hype but it didn't come across as frothing of the mouth Killzone 2 levels of hype/expectations.

Well GAF was right about Move failing and 360 succeeding in the West.

Gaf said Move would destroy Kinect accompanied by lots of "no lag" and "1:1" talk why it would beat it easily.

just three Mario games this gen have sold approximately 82 million copies combined

and they keep selling

that was more due to the power of not having 2d mario for 15 years and then getting him again. I wish people would realize the 3ds doesnt have to sell more than the ds to be successful.

Elios83

Going from $330 revenue per buyer of the same package to $200 is going to fucking hurt, no matter how much it is rationalized.

They might have no other option just like Nintendo didn't have an option when they cut the 3DS price, just like they didn't have an option with PS3.
Of course they'd like to have good sales at a higher price but if that's not going to happen, they still have to do something, also if they can still be profitable counting games and accessories in, while saving the platform, of course they'll do that since it's much better than losing all the investements done until this point.
So yeah, they don't have much else to do but aggressive bundling at the year's end.

I was really more thinking in terms of mainline mario games and not spinoffs so much (though i guess we're talking about brandnames so that makes sense).

Still though i can understand how someone would be lead to believe what he did. COD has sold an incredible amount this gen.

Edit: Obviously if we include all spinoffs including mario kart than mario dwarfs everything. I usually think of mario kart as a different series.

Top Bottom