• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2012 Results [Up1: Microsoft/Nintendo Hardware, Lego Batman 2, Lollipop]

Ridley327

Oh I missed that post, thanks.

Bad results though. :/

SCEA is quite honestly the worst foe that the Vita has to deal with right now; they seem almost visibly annoyed by having to do anything with it when it comes to advertising.

The only advertising that I can even recall for both games was the in-store display callouts for the demo units. It's absolutely pathetic.

Mr Swine

Banned
SCEA is quite honestly the worst foe that the Vita has to deal with right now; they seem almost visibly annoyed by having to do anything with it when it comes to advertising.

The only advertising that I can even recall for both games was the in-store display callouts for the demo units. It's absolutely pathetic.

Ugh, why release a handheld they aren't really supporting and not supporting their own games???

jvm

Gamasutra.
Please do. I don't know what you mean by "whale" in this context.
Many of the channels for digital revenue, DLC and F2P in particular I believe, try to attract whales, people who spend far above what the average player spends. I first heard of the phenomenon from a friend who worked behind the scenes at a social gaming company. He told me that 1% of the players more than subsidized the free experience for the other 99%, because the 1% spent such inordinate amounts of money on non-free extras. Recently there was this thread about a presentation on how Kongregate (owned by GameStop) works behind the scenes. See page 12, in particular of that PPT:
High ARPPU game:
40% of revenue comes from 2% of players who spend >$1,000
90% of revenue from players spending $100+
Top whale has spent $6.7k
Anyway, if you have a tiny percentage of players who actually spend money, then a survey will have to be very good to capture that dynamic.

donny2112

Not sure if serious. Should I elaborate?

Yeah, not familiar with the term much outside of the mammals. Guessing it may have to do with large amounts of sales can be concentrated in a small niche of people, so it'd be possible to miss them completely. That's just a guess, though. Haven't seen the term used like that. :)

Edit:
Anyway, if you have a tiny percentage of players who actually spend money, then a survey will have to be very good to capture that dynamic.

Cool. Thanks for the explanation!

I don't think SCEA is actively trying to kill Vita, but after E3, I think there's at least a substantial possibility that they're actively indifferent to its fate in the market.

Which isn't really that different, mind you.

triggaz

Banned
Interesting. Are the bitesize experiences on Iphone/Ipad satisying over the core experiences on DS/PSP?

Besides maybe Infinity Blade, I can't find anything comparable to the RPGs and adventure games on Nintendo/Sony's handhelds on the phones.

Wow so far from the truth right now Im playing a classic legend of Gaia styled rpg called Mage Gauntlet a cool zombie shooter called dead trigger chaos rings 2 squares best rpg this gen and dabbling iIn a kick ass starcraft clone called Starfront collision. All those games cost me less than 20 bucks toral not counting the "expensive" Chaos rings 2 which was $15

muu

Many of the channels for digital revenue, DLC and F2P in particular I believe, try to attract whales, people who spend far above what the average player spends. I first heard of the phenomenon from a friend who worked behind the scenes at a social gaming company. He told me that 1% of the players more than subsidized the free experience for the other 99%, because the 1% spent such inordinate amounts of money on non-free extras. Recently there was this thread about a presentation on how Kongregate (owned by GameStop) works behind the scenes. See page 12, in particular of that PPT:Anyway, if you have a tiny percentage of players who actually spend money, then a survey will have to be very good to capture that dynamic.

Pretty much why Japan had to put up the (partial) gacha ban. Thousand bucks from a person trying to get one rare card seems like pretty easy money.

Yoda

If the next gen for the HD twins is really not going to start until 2013-2014, were going to see some studios or publisher implode.

EDIT: To add in some optimism I'm glad Max Payne 3 is still kicking... Good PC games need to be rewarded.

VALIS

Hoe come Sony never gives their numbers?

ElRdQ.gif

Petrae

Hoe come Sony never gives their numbers?

My guess is that it's a matter of perception. Sony has had little/nothing to gain by sharing its sales numbers publicly. PS3 has squarely been in 2nd place in every month of 2012, and Vita numbers have been so-so at best.

Microsoft shares because the company is on top. Nintendo shares when it finds something positive about the data to convey. Sony is better served seeing the numbers and just filing them away.

Wow so far from the truth right now Im playing a classic legend of Gaia styled rpg called Mage Gauntlet a cool zombie shooter called dead trigger chaos rings 2 squares best rpg this gen and dabbling iIn a kick ass starcraft clone called Starfront collision. All those games cost me less than 20 bucks toral not counting the "expensive" Chaos rings 2 which was $15

I wonder how many S E jRPG you played this gen, because Chaos Ring 2 is not their best jRPG in the last few years by any means.

Miles X

HAHAHA the 3ds was the only system with positive growth after most predicted 35k less sales, the 3ds shattered analysts pre npd expectations.

You're way to positive about these numbers, most people underpredicted this month because they seemed to have forgotton it was a 4 week month. Unlike the DS at this point in its lifecycle it hadn't had a huge price cut. So yeah, 150k is pretty poor. The only thing to shout about in terms of Nintendo products is the DS.

Top Bottom