• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD lifetime US sales top 10 charts for Saturn, PS, N64, GBC & Dreamcast

Bullet Club

Banned
Posted for Kazza Kazza

Someone already posted the lifetime PS Vita software sales charts from The NPD Group last week, and today the source of those, Mat Piscatella, has released the lifetime US sales charts for mid to late 90s era consoles. It makes for some interesting reading.

I'll briefly comment on the Saturn, as that is the only one I owned at the time. I was pleasantly surprised to see Nights in 2nd place. Although it was hyped up a lot, I didn't think it was the type of game to gel with an American audience, but I guess I was wrong. Since the Megadrive/Genesis was well known for its sports titles, I'm not as surprised at Madden topping the list as some might be. The sad thing about the Saturn chart is how many games were from the console's first 18 months of life, including at least two launch titles (Panzer Dragoon and Daytona, not sure if World Baseball was). It shows how quickly it fell out of favour and was gradually abandoned in the US.

Fun fact about the Playstation chart: only 3 games from that top 10 bestsellers list are included in the upcoming Playstation Classic.

Bullet Club

Banned
Banjo-Kazooie not making the N64 top 10 is a bit of a surprise.

No Tomb Raider in the Playstation top 10. Bandicoots > pointy boobs

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I couldn't believe my ears when some podcasters and the like were wondering "if we really needed a Crash HD trilogy, like, were they really that popular?". Now ya get it.

The Shepard

Nice to see final fantasy 7 up so high, the game that got me into gaming and my favourite game of all time.

Crash was very popular, some excellent games on the ps1 list.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sports junk dominating on the Sega systems is a bit surprising and also unfortunate (for my tastes).

EDIT: Also it is pretty strange to see so many games cited by incorrect names.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Sony should've copy pasted that PS1 list onto the mini. The driver games were cool back then.

AlexxKidd

Sports junk dominating on the Sega systems is a bit surprising and also unfortunate (for my tastes).

EDIT: Also it is pretty strange to see so many games cited by incorrect names.

Sega was the sports machine long before the Dreamcast. Madden '92 (Genesis exclusive), Joe Montana Sports Talk Football (Genesis exclusive), NBA Live 95 (Genesis featured a more up to date roster than SNES version)...

Pkmn Gold/Silver da best.

The prevalence of 2k sports games on Dreamcast might come as a surprise to people who think of the Dreamcast as an arcade-at-home box, but those were exceptional sports franchises, far beyond what EA was doing at the time.

The dominance of sports titles on Dreamcast and Saturn makes me kind of sad. Not that I don't enjoy sports games, I tend to buy MLB/NHL/NBA at least once every generation and the 2K games were phenomenal, but there were so many great games that it looks like a lot of people passed over.

BANGS

Banned
Can we not just post twitter links please? Can we post the actual content? 1, I hate twitter, and I'm not alone in the that sentiment. 2, twitter is blocked at my job...

AlexxKidd

Can we not just post twitter links please? Can we post the actual content? 1, I hate twitter, and I'm not alone in the that sentiment. 2, twitter is blocked at my job...

Pull it up on your phone. The first post is clearly an effort post by the OP. Three direct Twitter inserts, personal commentary/insight. Bravo, no complaints. It would be one thing if the tweets themselves lacked content, but each tweet is fully stocked and comes from the horse's mouth. Can't go with you on this one.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
PS1 was one console where quality and popularity met in harmony. Good games were high-selling. High-selling games were good.

AlexxKidd

PS1 was one console where quality and popularity met in harmony. Good games were high-selling. High-selling games were good.

Not a clunker on that list. The only WTF is Driver. I mean, it was a fine game and all, really GTA3 before GTA3, in all likelyhood laid the groundwork for GTA3. BUT, I'm shocked to know it was a top 10 US game on the almighty PlayStation 1. There's 50 games I would have thought of before Driver. Like, Resident Evil 2 or something.

Skyfox

I was wondering where Tetris was on the Gameboy list until I realized it’s for Gameboy Color.

Can’t wait for Final Fantasy 7 remake!

BANGS

Banned
Pull it up on your phone. The first post is clearly an effort post by the OP. Three direct Twitter inserts, personal commentary/insight. Bravo, no complaints. It would be one thing if the tweets themselves lacked content, but each tweet is fully stocked and comes from the horse's mouth. Can't go with you on this one.
I'm not about to browse this site on my phone, it's a nightmare lol. I wasn't ragging on OP either. I just would like to see a lot less twitter links and more content dropped with maybe the twitter link only posted as the source for verification. Like I said, twitter is blocked at my job and I hate twitter, both of which I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. It doesn't take much effort to screencap the tweet and post it here... and it would help out a lot...

Last edited:
Dreamcast is a bit depressing considering all the awesome software it had available but then it's not really surprising either as most of said software were niche arcade ports.

Last edited:
Exclusives used to matter a lot more back then.

Actually third-parties likely still would have given PSX the win by a good margin.

Banjo-Kazooie not making the N64 top 10 is a bit of a surprise.
Banjo wasn't that big of a game. It sold 1.5+ million in the U.S. market. Shadows of the empire sold over 1.7 million.

Pkmn Gold/Silver da best.

The prevalence of 2k sports games on Dreamcast might come as a surprise to people who think of the Dreamcast as an arcade-at-home box, but those were exceptional sports franchises, far beyond what EA was doing at the time.

Well everyone that had the license was more popular than EA. Look at the Midway sports games. Sega is partly to blame for white the license got exclusive though.

Also the DC oddly didn't have many high selling games. A lot of the library didn't interest people.

Sony should've copy pasted that PS1 list onto the mini. The driver games were cool back then.
Driver has licensed stuff that would make it hard.

I'm still kinda surprised crash made it so high and I owned it back then.

Crash was all over the place. People forget how popular it the games were. Even the other 2 PSX games not on the list were great sellers.

What should be surprising people is Spyro not being on the list despite the fact Spyro sold more than FF7 in actual units. The reason is Spyro had to drop the price early. It's also why you don't see Frogger on the list because that was a budget title from the start and dropped as low as $9.99 in some retailers.

A lot of bad games sold high as well so not sure what you're talking about.

Not a clunker on that list. The only WTF is Driver. I mean, it was a fine game and all, really GTA3 before GTA3, in all likelyhood laid the groundwork for GTA3. BUT, I'm shocked to know it was a top 10 US game on the almighty PlayStation 1. There's 50 games I would have thought of before Driver. Like, Resident Evil 2 or something.

Driver was hugeback in the say. Since Quanrantine and similar games it was the first big 3D city roaming game.

TheDuskwalker

Gold Member
Nice, I owned every 64 game on the list but Star Wars, and still own 6/10 and 5/10 on the PS1 and GBC list.
Of all the good games on Dreamcast, so much yearly sports unlike the others. :messenger_pensive:

The FACT that Sony didn’t buy Crash and Spyro before skylanders or even after puzzles me. They are the mascots they severely lack.

God Enel

Never knew crash was this strong and I’m honestly surprised that goldeneye was so huge. It wasn’t released here in Germany and I had to rent it in my video rental store (?) back in the days. It was so good back then that I imported perfect dark when I was like 12. It was the first game I imported and it was as good as goldeneye.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The Crash trilogy was "JUST" released. And they literally couldn't put some of those games on the Mini due to licensing issues.

Top Bottom