• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2019 Results

Codes 208

Gold Member
money, people will only be able to buy 1 console(most people) and they will go for sony or xbox which offers them next gen gfx and streaming to any device.
People often buy a second system if not for themselves than their kids (especially handhelds.)
And im not sure where youre getting your facts, i know a lot of people who have a xbox/ps4/pc with a switch combo. Having more than half the xbox one’s lifetime sales in a fraction of the time would also suggest this as well. The switch wasn't designed just for the hardcore fans.

People are going crazy in off-season.

PS4/XBO will pick up in August during sports month and then they will both get a price cut later in the year and the sales will come back.

Don't forget both are still MSRP $299 for like almost two years now.

Woah, X1 and PS4 dropping off a steep cliff.

Switch is going to dominate this holiday when Pokemon comes out, my goodness.

They just need a SKU in the $150-200 range to replace their 3DS and that's a wrap.

Nintendo is slaying.

But the graphix are bad! Stop praising Nintendo!

giphy.gif

DanielsM

Banned
I'm a little confused as to how Days Gone ended up #2 for May for best selling games but not in the top 10 on PS4.

EDIT: Updated Days Gone to #2 in PS game sales.

The best-selling games of May 2019 in the U.S.
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Days Gone
  3. Total War: Three Kingdoms
  4. Rage 2*
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  7. Red Dead Redemption II
  8. MLB 19: The Show
  9. Minecraft**
  10. NBA 2K19
  11. Mario Kart 8*
  12. Tom Clancy’s The Division 2**
  13. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4**
  14. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  15. Marvel’s Spider-Man
  16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  17. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  18. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
  19. Team Sonic Racing
  20. Yoshi’s Crafted World*

Top 10 best-selling games so far this year
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. Tom Clancy’s The Division 2**
  4. Anthem**
  5. Resident Evil 2 2019
  8. Days Gone
  9. MLB 19: The Show
  10. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Top 10 best-selling games over the last 12 months
  1. Red Dead Redemption II
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII**
  3. NBA 2K19
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  5. Madden NFL 19**
  6. Marvel’s Spider-Man
  7. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
  8. Mortal Kombat 11
  9. FIFA 19**
  10. Kingdom Hearts III
Xbox One May 2019
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Rage 2*
  3. Red Dead Redemption II
  4. Tom Clancy’s The Division 2
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. Minecraft
  8. Forza Horizon 4
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  10. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
PlayStation 4 May 2019
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Days Gone
  3. MLB 19: The Show
  4. Rage 2*
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Marvel’s Spider-Man
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. Tom Clancy’s The Division 2

Nintendo Switch May 2019
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  2. Mario Kart 8*
  3. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  5. Mortal Kombat 11
  6. Yoshi’s Crafted World*
  7. Super Mario Party*
  8. Super Mario Odyssey*
  9. Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu*
  10. Pokemon: Lets Go Eevee*

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
And those two games sold rather well suggesting that they drove a good chunk of the PS4's sales.

Case in point, the PS4 selling well in its first 2 years without a single game is demonstrably false.
Are you comparing let me see Zelda and Mario selling power with Bloodborne and inFAMOUs?

demigod

I'm a little confused as to how Days Gone ended up #2 for May for best selling games but not in the top 10 on PS4.

The best-selling games of May 2019 in the U.S.
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Days Gone
  3. Total War: Three Kingdoms
  4. Rage 2*
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  8. MLB 19: The Show
  9. Minecraft**
  10. NBA 2K19
  11. Mario Kart 8*
  12. Tom Clancy’s The Division 2**
  13. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4**
  14. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  15. Marvel’s Spider-Man
  16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  17. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  18. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
  19. Team Sonic Racing
  20. Yoshi’s Crafted World*

Top 10 best-selling games so far this year
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. Tom Clancy’s The Division 2**
  4. Anthem**
  5. Resident Evil 2 2019
  8. Days Gone
  9. MLB 19: The Show
  10. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Top 10 best-selling games over the last 12 months
  1. Red Dead Redemption II
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII**
  3. NBA 2K19
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  5. Madden NFL 19**
  6. Marvel’s Spider-Man
  7. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
  8. Mortal Kombat 11
  9. FIFA 19**
  10. Kingdom Hearts III
Xbox One May 2019
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Rage 2*
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. Minecraft
  8. Forza Horizon 4
PlayStation 4 May 2019
  1. Mortal Kombat 11
  2. Rage 2*
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. Minecraft
  8. Forza Horizon 4
Nintendo Switch May 2019
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  2. Mario Kart 8*
  3. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  5. Mortal Kombat 11
  6. Yoshi’s Crafted World*
  7. Super Mario Party*
  8. Super Mario Odyssey*
  9. Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu*
  10. Pokemon: Lets Go Eevee*

Someone fucked up that’s how, they fixed their error and its #2 now.

This is why you don't base console sales from 1 day like here

and here
I remember those threads. "SUCH SUCCESS!!!!"

HeresJohnny

Not surprising. These companies keep trying to artificially extend the accepted lifespan of consoles. This happened last gen with the PS3 and 360... at the end, everyone was like, “why aren’t they selling better?” The answer was simple: the market was ready to move on and the consoles were way overpriced.

I don’t know who came up with the idea of 10 year cycles (I think it was Sony) but it’s the dumbest, most unfounded thing ever uttered in a boardroom because it’s completely unsupported by history. Console generations have always lasted around 5 years. By the time these consoles launch next holiday the current ones will be 7. That’s way too fucking old, especially at the ridiculous prices they have them at. Sony and Microsoft both seem to be ignorant of the fact that there are millions of people who will buy a console if you go sub-$150. And $99? Prepare for fucking liftoff, captain. Unfortunately, these consoles will never see those numbers because, just like last generation, both companies are behaving stupidly.

This industry seems to want to be willfully ignorant of history, like they can just wish console generations into being longer than the market wants while keeping the prices of old hardware ridiculously high (sorry, but there is no good damn reason the PS4 should still cost $300).

It’s gonna be a loooooong 18 months because the market wants something new and there’s not much in the pipes. Strap yourselves in.

Edit: on a separate note, the public seems to have given a big fuck you to the all digital Xbone.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
MY MY, what happened to XBOX? The most powerful, true 4k console that's destroying PRO sales since launch, what happened? All that good will and momentum from gamepass, crossplay, fortnite debacle, BC, non-censored games...….I mean, Sony is anti-consumer as we know it...and next gen, they better come with something that matches gamepass, xcloud or stadia or they will be left in the dust.........I suspect the NPD made a mistake, surely a digit goes before 86, perhaps 586k??....MS has had all the momentum at the back end of this gen.......

Switch is doing good, but I bet people are gearing for Next Gen, especially with MS already having a tentative date for Project Scorpio Next fall.

Ol'Scratch

So let me understand. There are actually people coming in here to gloat and shit on Microsoft and Sony for these sales and just going to completely ignore the whole fact that everyone knew this would be how things played out and not only that this is always how it plays out when moving to a new generation of hardware. Are people that desperate to get their console wars notch on their bedpost that facts and reality and that elusive common sense just do not matter?

Eteric Rice

I wonder when Nintendo will get their next gen system out. Around 2023 maybe? I wonder what they'd be able to put out by then?

Airbus Jr

Banned
NPD only counts North America

Heres from VG ( As of June 1st 2019)

NA Europe Japan Global
Switch​
64,923​
52,510​
33,766​
185,328​
PS4​
40,521​
73,453​
8,590​
150,001​
XO​
23,658​
11,375​
82​
40,173​

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Heres from VG ( As of June 2019)

NA Europe Japan Global
Switch​
64,923​
52,510​
33,766​
185,328​
PS4​
40,521​
73,453​
8,590​
150,001​
XO​
23,658​
11,375​
82​
40,173​
Made up numbers just look like made up numbers 😂

Heres from VG ( As of June 1st 2019)

NA Europe Japan Global
Switch​
64,923​
52,510​
33,766​
185,328​
PS4​
40,521​
73,453​
8,590​
150,001​
XO​
23,658​
11,375​
82​
40,173​

Seeing that makes me wonder why MS don't drop the new console this holiday and undercut Sony by a year. It worked wonders for the 360.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
But the graphix are bad! Stop praising Nintendo!

giphy.gif

Anybody who thinks graphics are bad in this day and age needs to have their head examined, and their console replaces with a Commodore 64 for one month, just to learn a little perspective. Mind you, there is a good chance you’d stay with C64 after your grounding was over, which would be a nice bonus.

The tapering of numbers in the PS4 column was bound to happen at this point in the generation. Anyone who needed pickup one already has it or is waiting for the next gen at this point.

Nice to see Nintendo doing well, Super Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem should help with that.

I wonder when Nintendo will get their next gen system out. Around 2023 maybe? I wonder what they'd be able to put out by then?

The more I think about it, the more I believe Nintendo putting a couple of years between themselves and the graphical powerhouses makes sense.

Being impressive for a handheld after we're all jaded to the new current gen, especially as PC will have pulled comfortably ahead again after a few years, really helped this time around.

More on topic, I'm REALLY glad Switch is selling so well, both because it's a great system, but also because it undermines the stupid 'Consoles are Dying' narrative we usually get at the end of a generation.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You honestly don't think over the next 18 months that Xbox and PlayStation are going to bury the games Switch has to offer? Really? The first half of this year was a huge embarrassment for the platform, just big game after big game scoring high left and right that they didn't get.

Is that suddenly going to stop?
Number of Yoshi games the Switch got: 1
Number of Yoshi games Xbox One and PS4 got: 0.

That makes it a clear victory for Nintendo Switch.

thelastword

Banned
So PS4 is about to hit 100 mil and people think these are alarming numbers for Sony, no it's not...….Switch is newer, they have some good games, let them shine...…..Sony still has some hardware movers (Death Stranding, Lou2) and of course $199-179-149....pricepoints…….Sony does not care about units right now, they care about profit...….Remember OG PS4 is still $300 at Amazon and PRO is $399....It's amazing it's selling so much...…..Sony will just keep on counting that cash as close to the PS5's launch as possible, they need it for software investments in PS5 and to make the PS5 more powerful........Of course every company prefers profit, they already have a pretty massive installbase….

So of course, LOU2 and Death Stranding will bolster PS4 hardware just on their own, so no need to budge......

Evilms

Banned
So PS4 is about to hit 100 mil and people think these are alarming numbers for Sony, no it's not...….Switch is newer, they have some good games, let them shine...…..Sony still has some hardware movers (Death Stranding, Lou2) and of course $199-179-149....pricepoints…….Sony does not care about units right now, they care about profit...….Remember OG PS4 is still $300 at Amazon and PRO is $399....It's amazing it's selling so much...…..Sony will just keep on counting that cash as close to the PS5's launch as possible, they need it for software investments in PS5 and to make the PS5 more powerful........Of course every company prefers profit, they already have a pretty massive installbase….

So of course, LOU2 and Death Stranding will bolster PS4 hardware just on their own, so no need to budge......

Trolls forget that the PS4 is 6 years old and is still officially sold for 249$ for the 500 GB model, 299$ the 1TB model and 399$ the Pro.

The switch in front of consoles at the end of their life is quite normal to see it at the top this year. It would even be a rather bad sign for the console to be overtaken by consoles at the end of the gen right now.

thelastword

Banned
May 2019
  1. Nintendo Switch : ~216K
  2. PlayStation 4 : ~137K
  3. Xbox One : ~86K

1. Switch LTD 2019 : ~1466K
  2. PlayStation 4 LTD 2019 : ~1015K
  3. Xbox One LTD 2019 : ~742K

Total LTD US

1. PlayStation 4 : ~29377K
  2. Xbox One : ~25186K
  3. Nintendo Switch : ~11936K
So generally, how are these consoles stacking up against Sony Worldwide?

DanielsM

Banned
Switch is doing great, and PS4 is holding serve but a little weakness for sure. I'll be surprised by PS4 over 17m units and surprised if its below 13m units for 2019 globally. Sony's estimates were 16m units in April. My guess is price cut and throw in more game bundles at some point during the year. Sales should start to slide heading into PS5 talk, but its amazing they are still selling at these prices. I expect Xbox One to continue grind south, generally speaking.

Last edited:

mejin

Switch is doing great, and PS4 is holding serve but a little weakness for sure. I'll be surprised by PS4 over 17m units and surprised if its below 13m units for 2019 globally. Sony's estimates were 16m units in April. My guess is price cut and throw in more game bundles at some point during the year. Sales should start to slide heading into PS5 talk, but its amazing they are still selling at these prices. I expect Xbox One to continue grind south, generally speaking.

I think price cut later this year is absolutely expected. 16M is easily a safe target by Sony.
Xbox will sell less than 8M once again.
Switch have the potential to finally get 20M, if a new model comes.

Anybody who thinks graphics are bad in this day and age needs to have their head examined, and their console replaces with a Commodore 64 for one month, just to learn a little perspective. Mind you, there is a good chance you’d stay with C64 after your grounding was over, which would be a nice bonus.

I still play N64 and PS1 games, both consoles had games that looked bad even back then, yet I still like the games today. It's almost as if visuals don't mean as much as actual gameplay or something.

This was an amazing game in glorious 322x244
1w9hXqR.jpg

Also a great game
zTFn60X.jpg

DanielsM

Banned
I think price cut later this year is absolutely expected. 16M is easily a safe target by Sony.
Xbox will sell less than 8M once again.
Switch have the potential to finally get 20M, if a new model comes.
(y)

I expect Xbox to be 15-30% less than 2018 sales of 6.96m units, I would not be surprised by Wii U/PS Vita prints for 2019 if they keep talking about services and Xbox Next.

Birdo

Banned
All my local stores sold out of XBO All Digital Editions (UK). It's selling for £160 now, which is a really good deal (It's bundled games are back in the charts too).

I don't know why it gets so much flack. I suspect it's physical media fans feeling threatened.

DanielsM

Banned
All my local stores sold out of XBO All Digital Editions (UK). It's selling for £160 now, which is a really good deal (It's bundled games are back in the charts too).

I don't know why it gets so much flack. I suspect it's physical media fans feeling threatened.

I would say more laughing than anything, what they did never made any sense. All they did was take out the drive, cover it with plastic and than try and sell it for more money without giving the customer anything. It was always DOA, beside the point the price point is/was way too high to have any meaningful impact.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
All they did was take out the drive, cover it with plastic and than try and sell it for more money

This is actually false. It never sold for more than the regular S (Here in the UK, at least).

Those cheaper ones on Amazon, that people always post, are either grey imports (No warranty or UK plug), in a flash sale, or refurbished. Genuine UK stock has not been sold for less then the All Digital Edition.

It's not surprising MK11 is doing so well. The people who were predicting that it would bomb due to the character redesigns always came off as people who were out of touch.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's not surprising MK11 is doing so well. The people who were predicting that it would bomb due to the character redesigns always came off as people who were out of touch.

Exactly! Don't go in the new FF7 "boob reduction" thread. Too many people are screaming about SJW this and SJW that nowadays.

thelastword

Banned
USA Only

PlayStation : ~39 million
PlayStation 2 : ~53 million
PlayStation Portable : ~18 million
PlayStation 3 : ~27 million
Nice, but I was thinking what numbers the Switch and XBOX-ONE has sold in (Rest of the World)...So perhaps we can get Switch's and XBOX's Worldwide installbase and subtract the NA figures for ROW.....Same could be done with PS4.....

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Nice, but I was thinking what numbers the Switch and XBOX-ONE has sold in (Rest of the World)...So perhaps we can get Switch's and XBOX's Worldwide installbase and subtract the NA figures for ROW.....Same could be done with PS4.....

Serious question. Why do you always use so many ...... In your posts.

Klayzer

Gold Member
That's an incredibly low launch for the Xbox SAD model. These upcoming summer months might be lowest totals for PS and Xbox this gen.

Last edited:

Manus

Man MK11 doing gangbusters. Good on NetherRealm. Hopefully this pushed Capcom to make a full fledge fighter.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

They must have got two.

Amazon US has them in stock and they are selling at a brisk #634 on the hourly sales list. What a bad idea.

Top Bottom