• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Numbers for November 2008

The last paragraph from kame-sennin is a must read. Everything that has transpired in the last two years is linked to corporate flexibility and inflexibility. We should not forget how brave Nintendo was in restructuring itself in the shadow of the Gamecube.

Can you imagine looking at 360 employees, with say 40 people working on lighting and shading and high-poly modelling for incidental objects alone, and thinking "how I am going to keep all these people in the jobs they have" and then looking at those NPD numbers. You'd basically -have- to double down and run away from the Wii. You'd have to. To be good at your job, you'd have to.

More importantly, the idea that "evergreen" sales patterns would return straight out of the late 1980s would be giving THQ, EA and Ubisoft massive headaches. Its not how the companies interact, its the flow-on effects as well.

I truly believe that Nintendo will make fewer and fewer games, of higher and higher quality. Sad in lots of ways, but to build brand equity once or twice a year would be the only reason to develop anything for them right now. Wii Brain Training and Wii Nintendogs are still coming. Can any of you even imagine what the sales projections for those look like? The profit-loss against something like Final Fantasy XIII? My god it would be like Dresden.

doicare

BishopLamont said:
Why do they need to when their old games are still selling fine?

In terms of sales they don't but the discussion that keeps going on is 'wii has so few good games, why does it keep selling so well'? Like i said in terms of making money they dont need to do anymore then what they are doing now, in terms of pleasing the 'core gamer' they need to a). sort out the 3rd party support situation and b). make more 1st party games each year.

onipex

kame-sennin said:
Let me get this out of the way right off the bat, this belief started because Nintendo has synergy between its hardware and software development. They're the only publishers that really do this well. Their hardware engineers and software developers work in the same building; they can talk to each other and look over each others shoulders to make sure their respective work is complimentary. A perfect example of this is Wii sports. No third party game that I can think of uses motion controls as well. Why? Because the software designers are intimately familiar with the hardware and its limitations in a way that no third party developers are. So they can push the tech as far as possible while avoiding its weaknesses even on launch software.

With all that said. Your main point is still correct. Nintendo is not magic. Even though third parties don't have the level of familiarity with the hardware that Nintendo does, small teams were able to make well controlled games like RE4 and MOH:H2. Moreover, many third parties have succeeded on Nintendo's platform in a way they haven't on Sony or Mircrosoft's. We all know publishers/developers like Sega, THQ, and Suda would not be doing as well on HD consoles as they have on Wii. But I'm surprised people haven't talked as much about the success of Guitar Hero and Rock Band. There is only one SKU for GH and RB respectively in the top 15, and both of them are for Wii**. The gimped RB Wii is even outselling the PS3 and 360 SKUs of Rock Band 2! Nintendo has completely stolen the market for rhythm/rock games from the other two hardware manufacturers, even though they were late to the market and those games had an established base on other platforms. How can anybody look at that data and argue that a popular, well-advertised, (sometimes) polished franchise, targeted at the Wii user base will not sell?

There are other reasons that third parties don't want to compete on Nintendo platforms, but they are not the kinds of things they want to discuss in front of shareholders. The reality is that the Wii and DS are disruptive to the standard software development methods of most third parties. The Wii and DS are attempting (and succeeding) to change how consumers perceive value in software. The traditional model says that increasing the visual fidelity and feature checklist for major franchises annually will net strong sales. Instead, Nintendo is pushing player/software interaction and social interaction while downplaying the importance of visual fidelity. They're also moving towards a long-tail or "evergreen" sales pattern. Most large publishers have large, incredibly layered, inflexible development structures. When you take that into consideration, a massive shift in software development philosophy must be terrifying. What's worse is that this new philosophy is relatively untested and the market being targeted is ill-defined and under researched. These publishers are often too large to take advantage of the new market. It's unlikely a developer like EA or Ubisoft would be able to turn out a product like Wii Fit or Wii Sports without MASSIVE restructuring and most likely a change of CEO. Do you think John Riccitiello wants to talk about that in a conference call?

**Edit: Correction, there are two GH SKUs in the top 15, with GHWT 360 coming in at #15.

I think you actually named the two companies that are big enough to adjust to what the Wii is doing in the market. Ubisoft is making games for kids( I believe that kids are part of the core market) and casual games. According to them they are doing well on the Wii and DS. EA seemed to be on the right track until this year. Madden 2007 showed promise as did the port of the godfather, MOH:H2 and SSX. EA seems to have lost their way on the Wii, but Ubisoft has seemed to have taken the kids market that THQ once had on Nintendo systems.

Nintendo may be creating a new market with new rules, but the old market is not going to completely go away any time soon or even at all.Third parties may even be helping the growth of the new market with their lack of support by letting the consumers and growing gamers on the Wii get use the way it works.

markatisu said:
Besides releasing RB2 a month after the others how so?

360 release was in September, PS3 release was in October, Wii release isn't till the 18th of this month. You're looking at a 2 - 3 month difference. Plus everything they've said about the platform has basically been, "We don't give 2 shits about it". We'll see how the Wii version of RB2 really is when it gets released/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Has the top 50 been posted yet?

Wait wait wait... Mario Kart DS is in the top 20? Really?

Where's Sonic Unleashed (on any platform)?

Edit- Beaten by Kev.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Aaron Strife said:
Why would Sonic Unleashed debut so high in such a competitive season? Sonic games have always been slow burners.

I'm just wondering what it pulled, I'm not altogether surprised by its lack of placement in the top 20.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Anyone help a guy out? Did Microsoft put out a press release for November 2007 NPD? Kotaku normally cut 'n' pastes directly from the PR into a post, but their archives are busted (at least for me). Poking around the internets, I couldn't find anything that looked like a full PR from MS regarding November 2007 NPD, just summaries.

Feel free to PM me, but putting a link here might help others looking for the same data at some point in the future.

polyh3dron said:
Sega will just think Sonic isn't popular anymore because of the character, oblivious to the fact that they HAVE RUN THE FRANCHISE INTO THE FUCKING GROUND WITH SHITTY GAMES.
This Sonic bombed because they didn't add enough shitty new friends. They didn't give the Sonic fans much new material to rule 34.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Aaron Strife said:
Why would Sonic Unleashed debut so high in such a competitive season? Sonic games have always been slow burners.
Sonic 06 bombed, I don't remember Secret Rings ever charting, and Sonic Unleashed isn't in the top 20. Hedgehog might be dead. Let's hope so.

TJ Spyke

Y2Kev said:
Sonic 06 bombed, I don't remember Secret Rings ever charting, and Sonic Unleashed isn't in the top 20. Hedgehog might be dead. Let's hope so.

Sonic and the Secret Rings was 13th when it released in February 2007 and has sold about 1.2 million copies worldwide.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Y2Kev said:

Uhm, it was mentioned a few months ago that Secret Rings join the ranks of worldwide million sellers for Wii.

Edit : Beaten by a Spyke. ;)

onipex said:
I think you actually named the two companies that are big enough to adjust to what the Wii is doing in the market. Ubisoft is making games for kids( I believe that kids are part of the core market) and casual games. According to them they are doing well on the Wii and DS. EA seemed to be on the right track until this year. Madden 2007 showed promise as did the port of the godfather, MOH:H2 and SSX. EA seems to have lost their way on the Wii, but Ubisoft has seemed to have taken the kids market that THQ once had on Nintendo systems.

Nintendo may be creating a new market with new rules, but the old market is not going to completely go away any time soon or even at all.Third parties may even be helping the growth of the new market with their lack of support by letting the consumers and growing gamers on the Wii get use the way it works.

Author forgets that UbiSoft has had a minor hit with No More Heroes, and a huge hit with that whole Petz and Babyz line. Rayman has become a viable franchise after pretty much being dead. EA had a small success with BoomBlox, and a bigger one with MySims.

The biggest trouble most developers had was sloppy ports. I think that people are pretty aware, even if subconsciously, that the Wii isn't a system to put out regular games shoehorned into a "weird" control scheme, so they may need some sort of reassurance. They know Nintendo is going to make good games for their system.

Captain Smoker said:
Thx, I've added Mortal Kombat:

Top20:
01.) 360 GEARS OF WAR 2* 1.560.000
02.) 360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* 1.410.000
03.) WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 796.000
04.) WII WII FIT 697.000
05.) WII MARIO KART 637.000
06.) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 597.000
07.) WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* 475.000
08.) 360 LEFT 4 DEAD 410.000
09.) PS3 RESISTANCE 2* 385.000
10.) WII WII MUSIC 297.000
11.) WII ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK 184.000 - 297.000
12.) 360 FALLOUT 3 184.000 - 297.000
13.) WII ROCK BAND 184.000 - 297.000
14.) NDS POKEMON RANGER: SHADOWS OF ALMIA 184.000 - 297.000
15.) 360 GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR 184.000 - 297.000
16.) NDS MARIO KART DS 184.000 - 297.000
17.) PS2 GUITAR HERO: WORLD TOUR 184.000 - 297.000
18.) PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2009 184.000 - 297.000
19.) 360 FABLE 2 184.000
20.) 360 MADDEN NFL 09 141.000 - 184.000
---
xx.) PS3 MORTAL KOMBAT VS. DC UNIVERSE 141.000 - 184.000
xx.) PS3 LITTLE BIG PLANET 141.000
xx.) PS3 VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 33.000

Hopefully Sega realizes that this has a lot more to do with a lack of publicity and a release on a console with a piddly marketshare than the quality of the franchise.

(but I doubt they will)

bucklam66

Why all the ninty hate?

I have not stepped into the new gen, yet. (still playing persona 4, just gots a ps2 a year a go, I also have a xbox, GCN, PS1, N64, and others as child)

I go to a friends house; and normally their wife would complain about video games, and with the wii, viola; we can play games again!

The demographic the hardcores' forget are the former hardcores' that are now married that owned a ps1 in college or n64 after having a genesis or snes and so on and so forth.

The Wii allows those that couldn't play games without getting complained at, the freedom to do so again.

Do you remember your friends that sucked at games? Now they can have a game system as adults that allows them to indulge in their childhood pastime without feeling stupid for not knowing what game came out when and so forth.

That is the market for the Wii, Nintendo nailed it on the head.

Yeah, I still want games that aim for specific groups too, not just the fps crowd or the Wii Sports/everyone crowd.

I still want my damn FFT2 that feels like FFT.

Edit:

I can understand the arguments of many who are anti-Wii; if Wii continues the success they have now, how lilkely is it that they'll release that niche RPG for the system? Ogre battle, FFTactics, or unique games like SOTC - with the majority audience currently construed as "non-gamers", the likelihood of such games being developed for Wii takes a nose dive since for many comapnies , profit > all (and the profit lies with non-gamers really, as Nintendo has shown)

Hell, an RPG for Wii is risky cause they don't even know if the RPG audience has BOUGHT a wii yet. Wii is currently unlike the initial PS1 or PS2 since it was targeted towards attracting a hardcore audience of gamers; hence higher likelihiood of ccreativity, such as Wild Arms, Jumping Flash, Tobal, Toshinden, Motor Toon Racing, Destruction Derby, Descent, etc;

Y2Kev said:
...do you know what a slow burner is?

Secret Rings sold over a million worldwide. Sonic 06 did well enough to become a Platinum Hit. Sonic games don't sell instantly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeahhhh I don't know about you guys but if you think Sonic sold enough copies to become a platinum hit, I would like to sell you a bridge...it was like a pity platinum hit. Lots of games that have absolutely sold more copies than it are not platinum hit yet. This was like a Medivac from store shelves.

The only source I could find on the SatSR sales was "That VideoGame Blog," but if so, I stand corrected.

bucklam66

I do not care for Dragon Quest, but my wife likes rpgs' and i still get to play them.( we ain't not buyin' a Wii till spring, all her friends have em')

The point is even single guys that suck at halo love the Wii, chicks like it.

I'm 31 and i remember wcw vs nwo fests; drinkin' like a fiend that sent the women away.

Now single sorta playin' games guy can buy a Wii and still get the best of both worlds,

Nintendo did a good job with the wii.

(Yes i want a 360 and a PS3 not in the budget, right now)

Jammy

Banned
Sonic the Hedgehog (06) sold like ass everywhere. While I don't think it bombed, I wouldn't be surprised if it was yet another game that Microsoft and Sony just try to bring down in price and make it seem like it was popular to begin with. Stuff like this happens all the time... Warhawk and Ninja Gaiden Sigma on PS3 weren't "Greatest Hits" either... :lol

Sonic and the Secret Rings didn't sell too badly in America, and I'm sure it racked up most of its sales once its price unofficially dropped to $30 everywhere, but it was in the middle of the UK charts for well over a year straight almost after its release - a confirmed million-plus seller for sure.

Gaborn

hydragonwarrior said:
Yeah, I still want games that aim for specific groups too, not just the fps crowd or the Wii Sports/everyone crowd.

I still want my damn FFT2 that feels like FFT.

Edit:

I can understand the arguments of many who are anti-Wii; if Wii continues the success they have now, how lilkely is it that they'll release that niche RPG for the system? Ogre battle, FFTactics, or unique games like SOTC - with the majority audience currently construed as "non-gamers", the likelihood of such games being developed for Wii takes a nose dive since for many comapnies , profit > all (and the profit lies with non-gamers really, as Nintendo has shown)

Hell, an RPG for Wii is risky cause they don't even know if the RPG audience has BOUGHT a wii yet.
Wii is currently unlike the initial PS1 or PS2 since it was targeted towards attracting a hardcore audience of gamers; hence higher likelihiood of ccreativity, such as Wild Arms, Jumping Flash, Tobal, Toshinden, Motor Toon Racing, Destruction Derby, Descent, etc;

I don't think they have to worry about that much going forward with MH3 and DQX on the way.

xbhaskarx

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah but nothing on the Wii is a experience that should generate the kind of excitement
it is getting in my opinion.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, I don't think anything in MGS is worth a 39 post OP, but the marvy thing about opinions is that we're all allowed our own.

Just saw this exchange :lol

bucklam66

I play games an hour a day, but, there is no way i could get through the onslaught of games released for the 360, Ps3, or even the Wii, at this point in my life.

I don't post on here much but i am drinkin' and wanted to contribute in a non-fanboy way.

I could care less what system a game is on, if the game is good it is good.

When i bought RE4 this dude i knew came over and asked , " Is that for xbox?' I said no it is for the GCN, and he replied "i don't play Gamecube."

I mean WTF? Sony is not dead, their next game system will be integrated in TVs so people need to chill about the system wars.

Microsoft has done a hell of a job.

I just find it amusing that people think that a certain brand is better than another in our hobby.

freddy

Banned
kame-sennin said:
It's unlikely a developer like EA or Ubisoft would be able to turn out a product like Wii Fit or Wii Sports without MASSIVE restructuring and most likely a change of CEO (see: Yamauchi->Iwata). Do you think John Riccitiello wants to talk about that in a conference call?

I agree with most of your post and have held the same view for a while. However as someone else said Ubisoft and especially EA are the two companies who are trying to change or at least have a segment of their business emulate Nintendos strategy. Ea has recently announced their fitness game, an IP based(nascar) Kart racer with unrealistic graphics, and lots of other casual games even in the first two years. Sure both of them are playing both sides of the fence and not fully embracing the strategy but the feelers are out in a big way.

Also:

chespace
It's not actually trolling if you're paid for it
(Yesterday, 07:07 PM)
Reply | Quote

jibblypop

Banned
doicare said:
Second full year on wii:
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Wii Music
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Fit
Endless Ocean
Mario Super Sluggers

That is an awesome lineup of games! I think releasing the biggest games early in the year gives the illusion that it was a bad year when it was far from it. No wonder the wii has a nice secure place next to my 360. Two fucking awesome consoles giving the love!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
hydragonwarrior said:
I can understand the arguments of many who are anti-Wii; if Wii continues the success they have now, how lilkely is it that they'll release that niche RPG for the system?

Fragile?

hydragonwarrior said:
Ogre battle, FFTactics, or unique games like SOTC

Kizuna?

donny2112

icecream said:
120K actually, according to famitsu. But that's just splitting hairs.

141K.

soldat7 said:
Looking at historical sales data (at least according to Wikipedia) I can start to see why they haven't bothered recently. The power of the Nintendo first-party is incredible.

So because EA sold a crap load on PS2, Take-Two shouldn't have bothered? Yes, there is a maximum amount of games that the Wii can theoretically sell in a month, but it is nowhere near anything approaching that kind of level. There is plenty of room for growth for third-parties to sell more of their games on the Wii. The fact that Nintendo is already doing so doesn't preclude that.

Banned
jvm said:
Anyone help a guy out? Did Microsoft put out a press release for November 2007 NPD? Kotaku normally cut 'n' pastes directly from the PR into a post, but their archives are busted (at least for me). Poking around the internets, I couldn't find anything that looked like a full PR from MS regarding November 2007 NPD, just summaries.

Feel free to PM me, but putting a link here might help others looking for the same data at some point in the future.

PM sent but here is what I found.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2007/12/november_npds_microsofts_react.html

donny2112

AniHawk said:
When was the last time they released a Training game in Japan? Months ago? A year ago?

Last week. Cooking Navi! 2.

soldat7 said:
Who is going to take that kind of risk when your game would be deployed to a platform where Wii Fit rules the day.

Because 1) not all Wii owners bought Wii Fit, 2) a good amount of traditional gamers on the Wii bought Wii Fit and games like No More Heroes, and 3) Wii Fit brought the balance board to the Wii (see: Shaun White Snowboarding).

donny2112

Saint Gregory said:
I brought this up before but there must be another explaination for what happened to this Holiday's Wii release schedule besides the idea that Wii Music and AC would be enough. If Nintendo decided that they were done appealing to dedicated gamers with the Wii they did an awful job of it for the first year or so of its lifespan with all those great releases.

Even Reggie seemed to think early this year that there were going to be big Wii games this quarter so WTF happened?

I think games were held back to have Motion+ support added to aid in the Motion+ launch next Spring.

Accident

rjcc said:
will you be able to rip the songs from rb1? is the RB1 dlc available on the wii?

You need something like 2GB to rip the songs so i guess it wont be possible on the Wii. Let's just hope all these new RB1 owner move to RB2 when it get released, so much better than GHWT :D

Also Wii Rock Band was dicounted to $99 everywhere compared to $190 for GHWT and RB2 for PS3 and 360

AniHawk said:
We'll only know for sure when Sonic and the Black Knight comes out.

You know what is sad? Most Sonic games that have been in developement in the past decade I've thought "Hey this looks like it has some awesome potential to be a great game!" But then of course they always suck. With Sonic and the Black Knight I'm already saying this game is going to suck. Sonic Team is taking the genre in the wrong direction with this title

Top Bottom