• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2010

Haunted

jvm said:
Top 20 is up.
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=28566

top-20-apr-2010%20%281%29.png
After thinking about this (and looking at the previous titles in the US), I can officially say I'm happy for Monster Hunter Tri. whew!

Seems like it's a regular core title, so I don't expect legs... yet, who knows what's possible with a Wii game, positive word of mouth and Capcom's continued online support.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Dascu said:
With a rail-shooter no less. Learning from the master!

:lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
On the flip side, tons of people got their tax returns. (I know I did.)

Yes, but considering the current economic situation, I imagine most of those tax returns went to paying off credit cards and loans. Maybe even making house payments and buying groceries. I doubt the majority of people blew their tax returns on luxury items such as video games like they might have around the turn of the millennium.

jvm said:

Thanks Jvm.

I'd like to point out that third-party Wii games were the ninth and 11th highest selling games for April. Not bad.

starok

Banned
AceBandage said:
A series that has basically no appeal in the West selling over 100K in 10 days is certainly a success.

And how do you know it has no appeal in the west? Because it sold bad on psp? Everything sells like shit on psp.

Gravijah

Danthrax said:
Yes, but considering the current economic situation, I imagine most of those tax returns went to paying off credit cards and loans. Maybe even making house payments and buying groceries. I doubt the majority of people blew their tax returns on luxury items such as video games like they might have around the turn of the millennium.

Most people that get tax returns aren't fiscally responsible. That money definitely went to computers, games, etc.

markatisu

starok said:
And how do you know it has no appeal in the west? Because it sold bad on psp? Everything sells like shit on psp.

You are forgetting the game did come out on the PS2 years ago and did just as shitty as the PSP.

So even after the highest 1st month for a MH game ever, a Top 15 placement, someone is still trying to spin it negatively...wow

Chrange

Banned
Danthrax said:
If people were that responsible, they wouldn't have credit card balances to pay off in the first place. Face it - people are stupid when it comes to money.

selig

Banned
schuelma said:
Man, we were this close from avoiding 10 pages of "Monster Hunter bombed" bullshit.

What I came to post when I saw the list :p Great opening. And if you combine Pokemon (because its essentially the same game), MH3 made it into top10.

Peff

cjelly said:
What did GTA Episodes do on 360?

57,000 in October and it was released the 29th.

AceBandage said:
It sold like shit on the PS2, as well.

To be fair that was pretty much a ghost release like Haunting Ground, and online play wasn't exactly super successful on the PS2.

starok

Banned
AceBandage said:
It sold like shit on the PS2, as well.

Of course it did, it was released with no marketing at the same time as gta san andreas and halo 2. The series only took off on psp.

seady

Good to see Monster Hunter Tri up there. Wish it did better of coz. Hopefully it will chart again next month and become a part with the Nintendo's evergreen title lineup. If there is one hardcore 3rd party games that will do that on Nintendo console, this will be it. (longevity of gameplay, teen-audience-centric, good graphics, great online etc) It has potential to do a Pokemon or WOW for the Wii.

Vinci

Danish
Peff said:
To be fair that was pretty much a ghost release like Haunting Ground, and online play wasn't exactly super successful on the PS2.

To be fair, online play isn't exactly super successful on the Wii either.

starok

Banned
selig said:

What I came to post when I saw the list :p Great opening. And if you combine Pokemon (because its essentially the same game), MH3 made it into top10.

You predicted 280k for mh3.

seady said:
Good to see Monster Hunter Tri up there. Wish it did better of coz. Hopefully it will chart again next month and become a part with the Nintendo's evergreen title lineup. If there is one hardcore 3rd party games that will do that on Nintendo console, this will be it. (longevity of gameplay, teen-audience-centric, good graphics, great online etc) It has potential to do a Pokemon or WOW for the Wii.

Slow down there.

markatisu

seady said:

I think Capcom and Nintendo will be happy if it can limp to 220-250k which would like 2x the LTD of any previous edition

Kusagari

Kagari said:
Not surprised, it seemed to have done similarly in Japan. Word of mouth probably isn't helping it much either.

Doubt it's really WoM. Any RPG not named Pokemon just has crap legs. Way it's always been.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kusagari said:
Doubt it's really WoM. Any RPG not named Pokemon just has crap legs. Way it's always been.

Let me rephrase then: it's not getting its usual holiday push (FFX, FFXII).

JudgeN

markatisu said:
I think Capcom and Nintendo will be happy if it can limp to 220-250k which would like 2x the LTD of any previous edition

Considering Capcom needed 900k to reach there 2 million goal, I think they where expecting a huge improvement in MH3. I mean the opening month is 2x the sales of the PSP version but we all know those sold like dog shit, so doesn't really make these sales superb. There was a HUGE advertising push for this game , but don't get me wrong it did ok sales considering the series but would we really call it a "success" considering the advertisement that went into it?

markatisu

JudgeN said:
Considering Capcom needed 900k to reach there 2 million goal, I think they where expecting a huge improvement in MH3. I mean the opening month is 2x the sales of the PSP version but we all know it sold like dog shit, so doesn't really make these sales superb. There was a HUGE advertising push for this game , but don't get me wrong it did ok sales considering the series but would we really call it a "success" considering the advertisement that went into it?

They revised down their expectations didn't they? I thought the last we saw was 1.5m which meant the US/EU needed to split 400-500k

Peff

Vinci said:
To be fair, online play isn't exactly super successful on the Wii either.

Sure. Widespread adoption is bigger, which is what I meant. Monster Hunter PS2 online was a ghost town in Europe, just like many other non-mainstream games. Heck, it was hard to find people even in RE: Outbreak at times :(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Chrange said:
If people were that responsible, they wouldn't have credit card balances to pay off in the first place. Face it - people are stupid when it comes to money.
Gravijah said:
Most people that get tax returns aren't fiscally responsible. That money definitely went to computers, games, etc.

Yeah, I guess I'm being too logical.

JudgeN said:
Considering Capcom needed 900k to reach there 2 million goal, I think they where expecting a huge improvement in MH3. I mean the opening month is 2x the sales of the PSP version but we all know it sold like dog shit, so doesn't really make these sales superb. There was a HUGE advertising push for this game , but don't get me wrong it did ok sales considering the series but would we really call it a "success" considering the advertisement that went into it?

Yeah, I kinda agree with this line of thinking. While it's a success from the standpoint of "it's doing much better than its previous iterations did in the west," it's a failure from the standpoint of what Capcom expected of it and how much Capcom pushed it through advertising.

markatisu said:
Yeah, I doubt they'd be happy with that because the marketing/promotion on this clearly indicates they expected a bit more.

markatisu

Danthrax said:
Yeah, I kinda agree with this line of thinking. While it's a success from the standpoint of "it's doing much better than its previous iterations did in the west," it's a failure from the standpoint of what Capcom expected of it and how much Capcom pushed it through advertising.

I was right, http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/e20091222.pdf

Page 7 shows they expect 500k for Overseas sales of Tri

The EU is ~70k and the US is ~125k so that is 195k in the first month

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Chrange said:

The fiscally wise people don't get tax returns.

Oh wait, that's what you were saying. n/m

Vinci

Danish
Peff said:
Sure. Widespread adoption is bigger, which is what I meant. Monster Hunter PS2 online was a ghost town in Europe, just like many other non-mainstream games. Heck, it was hard to find people even in RE: Outbreak at times :(

The point still stands that MHT has sold better than it ever has before in NA - on a system widely regarded as the most casual and least hardcore of them all, and with online utility worse than even the PSP offers.

It's not a jackpot, runaway release, but it's still a noticeable uptick, and that's good for the game and its creators no matter how you or I explain it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wow... Even FFXIII didn't track top 20.

So I'm guessing it sold less than 50k?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Re: Capcom's expectations for Monster Hunter..remember, those numbers are just for shipments. It will easily reach 500K between U.S/PAL. Hell, I think Bionic Commando has shipped above 500K.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
velvet_nitemare said:
Not surprising. The game had terrible Word of mouth. Square can't be happy with those sales.

Nor can they be happy about the reviews and bad word-of-mouth.

Don't tell me they're gonna outsource the next main FF to a Western dev like lolFrontMission...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
schuelma said:
Re: Capcom's expectations for Monster Hunter..remember, those numbers are just for shipments. It will easily reach 500K between U.S/PAL. Hell, I think Bionic Commando has shipped above 500K.

Okay, so retailers aren't happy because they have 250k copies of MH3 sitting around collecting dust :lol

Danthrax said:
Okay, so retailers aren't happy because they have 250k copies of MH3 sitting around collecting dust :lol

Who said Capcom shipped 250K to the US? The 500K number between US and PAL is expected LTD. Most games have more than one shipment (although I don't think Final Fantasy will, but that's an exception, not the rule).

donny2112 said:
I think you're confusing the retailer margin on the PSPgo, which is purposefully high to compensate retailers for the lack of future UMD purchases, and how much Sony makes on the PSP. I strongly doubt it's anywhere near a $100 profit for Sony to sell a PSP to a retailer.

Oh, my mistake. Thought that was too high.

markatisu said:
I was right, http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/e20091222.pdf

Page 7 shows they expect 500k for Overseas sales of Tri

The EU is ~70k and the US is ~125k so that is 195k in the first month

Shipping 500k in the west wouldn't be too much of an improvement over the psp game which also shipped around 500k in west. That is without a marketing blitz.

Laguna

Banned
neutralgamer02 said:
Oh, my mistake. Thought that was too high.

Shipping 500k in the west wouldn't be too much of an improvement over the psp game which also shipped around 500k in west. That is without a marketing blitz.

The latest PSP version was well advertised here in Europe. Actually I´ve seen the comercial quit often unlike the Tri one.

Top Bottom