• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

Tom Penny

I'll tell you what. Retarded Sony had done one commercial to MS's 4 during the NFL season opener. Not smart. Every game commercial had X360 $100 off at the end.

You people are weird. Wii increases its sales month over month in fucking August with hardly any content, going up against Madden, and it's going to be third next month? No.

FirstInHell said:
brad.gif

I was expecting more of a jump in PS3 sales with the new design and the price drop.

Price drop came late in August 19th, release of Slim on Sept 1st

Cipherr

kpop100 said:
Yeah we get it we get it. Nintendo doesn't care about anything. Pleasing it's fanbase, releasing core games, the competition, etc etc. Just busy counting the money right.

Your supposed to save this bit of RAGE until after the PS3's bump doesnt send it into the stratosphere past the 360 and Wii. THEN your supposed to pull out the Nintendo and MS insults. Dont premature bro!

Tom Penny said:
I'll tell you what. Retarded Sony had done one commercial to MS's 4 during the NFL season opener. Not smart. Every game had X360 $100 off at the end.

I've seen the "fanboy confirm/deny" ps3 commercial like 8 times now, and zero 360 commercials. Tons of beatles rock band though. Different markets, odd.

Kujo

Metroid Prime Trilogy? :(

Oh and...

Sep: DC2 > PS3 > Wii > 360
Oct: DC2 > Wii > 360 > PS3
Nov: DC2 > Wii > PS3 > 360

you guys are sorely underestimating MS. they are actually in the best position they can be in possibly. nintendo is pretty much refusing to do ANYTHING and if they do decide to do something it may be a $50 drop for a core console and a $249 rebundle with wii sports resort. Sony literally CANT do anything else but rely on games. MS has had the best adverts and holiday bundles for years now. wether it be bundling games or giving stores the ability to throw in huge savings with gift cards they definately know how to work the holidays. add to that that they CAN drop the price further just helps more. Not to mention the icing on the cake of a nice lineup. No way MS will come in last all 3 months after september.

Sony has done great dropping the price but that can only go so far. its been 3-4 years and many games have come and gone failing to push the system. With that amount of time passing i just dont believe that there is that much pent up demand there from fence sitters to justify 3 months of chart topping sales just because of a $100 drop. Those gamers have picked up a wii or 360 already. its been too long.

Son of Godzilla said:
You people are weird. Wii increases its sales month over month in fucking August with hardly any content, going up against Madden, and it's going to be third next month? No.

It's down year over year compared to the same month last year again, compared to two consoles that are up yoy for the same period. I'm not sure why you think logic is wierd.

Tom Penny

elrechazao said:
I've seen the "fanboy confirm/deny" ps3 commercial like 8 times now, and zero 360 commercials. Tons of beatles rock band though. Different markets, odd.

Total opposite in the Boston market apparently.

GPsych

While I agree we'll probably see PS3 sales higher than the 360 for Sept and Oct, it doesn't really matter at this point. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of PS3 Slim purchasers also own a 360. More than likely, they will continue their 3rd party game buying habits and keep buying on the 360. We'll see this with MW2 and Assassin's Creed 2. Overall, Sony's 3rd party software sales aren't going to get much better (probably a small increase). Sony should see some improvement with their 1st party stuff though, but probably not enough to make the PS3 a financial success.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Son of Godzilla said:
Well that's only because August is a stronger month traditionally than July, so pretty much everything rose. But year to year the Wii is down compared to last August.

Of course that doesn't make the "Wii will be 3rd!" predictions any less crazy or baseless.

Dipswitch

Wii and PS3 both did better than I thought. MS did ok, but not great.They're in for a shellacking in September I'd wager, due to the Slim release.

Tom Penny said:
Total opposite in the Boston market apparently.
Yeah I'm getting loads of "$100 off Elite" here just outside of Boston. The new Need for Speed game showing "Actual gameplay video". Yeah right if that's real gameplay I'll pay $299 just for that game.
Personally don't get the "Yay for Madden" quotes. I know this is old but seriously it's just about the same game every year. Pick it up every 2 or 3 years but why do you need a copy every damn year?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
CitizenCope said:
Yeah I'm getting loads of "$100 off Elite" here just outside of Boston. The new Need for Speed game showing "Actual gameplay video". Yeah right if that's real gameplay I'll pay $299 just for that game.
Personally don't get the "Yay for Madden" quotes. I know this is old but seriously it's just about the same game every year. Pick it up every 2 or 3 years but why do you need a copy every damn year?
yeah, here in Chicago, I've seen plenty of 360 ads during the season opener.

elrechazao said:
It's down year over year compared to the same month last year again, compared to two consoles that are up yoy for the same period. I'm not sure why you think logic is wierd.

YoY it's down because a year ago it sold over 2x the next closest.

Well that's only because August is a stronger month traditionally than July, so pretty much everything rose. But year to year the Wii is down compared to last August.

Of course that doesn't make the "Wii will be 3rd!" predictions any less crazy or baseless.
The Wii fell from July -> August in both 2007 and 2008.

And since you asked whenever ago, I wouldn't be surprised if things stayed exactly the same as they are now for September. I don't expect it to happen, but it wouldn't shock me. A price cut and new launch spurs initial sales sure, but I suspect it'll affect weekly sales for the holiday far more than right now.

Son of Godzilla said:
YoY it's down because a year ago it sold over 2x the next closest.

We're comparing it to itself, how much more than others it sold is irrelevant...

Two consoles are trending up, and if the trend follows, their final number will end up higher than the one that is trending down, if that trend continues.

pvpness

elrechazao said:
Ok I'm curious. What's the record for most consoles sold in August?

I only just came back from this morning, and...

Darklord said:
Hasn't counted the slim...has it?

Revolutionary said:
Nope. The Slim officially went on sale September 1st. We won't be seeing the US numbers for that until next month's NPD.

Oh! Thanks for the correction.

*reads thread*

jim-jam bongs said:
I only just came back from this morning, and...

Oh! Thanks for the correction.

*reads thread*

This is not correct, as the slim was for sale for 4-5 days of august.

And now the steelers game is over and I can stop posting in this thread and go sleep.

Next months NPD should be interesting. Then again, all NPD months are interesting. Anyway, nintendo needs to do something different. Even the money printer could run out of ink if you don't refill the ink cartridge.

Blueblur1

Stoney Mason said:
Some of the fanboys see their first opening in a year so they feel they have to get out all the pent up abuse before reality sets in again.
Sounds about right. Apparently, Halo doesn't sell anymore. :lol

I'm happy with this month's numbers, honestly. I was surprised to see Dissidia and Fossil Fighters in the top ten though. From the screenshots I've seen and the TV commercial, I was under the impression that Fossil Fighters is a very generic Pokemon wannabe. And as for Dissidia... Well, it is the PSP after all: Piracy reigns supreme.

SoulPlaya said:
yeah, here in Chicago, I've seen plenty of 360 ads during the season opener.
But don't get me wrong it's Wii>PS3>360 in September.
This xbot also believes ODST will see numbers more on par with Halo Wars. I've got 0 real life friends picking it up including myself and It looks like a half dozen people in my clan are picking it up where 40 of them picked up Halo 3. Just a guess.

pvpness

elrechazao said:
The answer is blue.

because my answer is as much of a non sequitur as your question...
Heh. Not tryin to rain on your parade man, was just honestly curious. Figer'd somebody here would have the answer.

soldat7

Woo-Fu said:
By all means, tell us your inside information that proves Sony has nothing left in store for this year, that Sony can have nothing left in store for this year.

By all means,
tell us your inside information
that proves Sony has nothing left
in store for this year,
that Sony can have nothing left
in store for this year

It's like a chorus to a DMB song.

pulga

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Next months NPD should be interesting. Then again, all NPD months are interesting. Anyway, nintendo needs to do something different. Even the money printer could run out of ink if you don't refill the ink cartridge.

They'll just air a couple more Mario Kart commercials featuring some celebrity. The rivers will run red with the blood of competitors.

FrankT

Tom Penny said:
I'll tell you what. Retarded Sony had done one commercial to MS's 4 during the NFL season opener. Not smart. Every game commercial had X360 $100 off at the end.

Money well spent. Any of them the ODST Live action trailer?

elrechazao said:
This is not correct, as the slim was for sale for 4-5 days of august.

And now the steelers game is over and I can stop posting in this thread and go sleep.

Yep, if only I'd read the thread first. In my defence, it's getting rather large.

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, cause it's not like anyone could have been waiting for a new model
to come out...

:|

Probably really late but just to address this; do people think that there are a lot of consumers waiting for the slim because it's a new SKU? I expect a lot of sales for it but mostly because of the lower price. If it's the price that makes the biggest difference, won't those sales be cannabalised by the fat price-drop the preceding month?

zero_suit

HAL_Laboratory said:
PS2 is STILL selling very well. I wonder if people will be buying Wiis in 2018...

Probably not, but Nintendo has made much more money than Sony did off the PS2 in 2 short years. Therefore, it doesn't really matter.

Tom Penny

Jtyettis said:
Money well spent. Any of them the ODST Live action trailer?

Nope. Multiplatform games like Shift and Madden. The were smart to not say the price instead they when with now $100 off.

jim-jam bongs said:
Probably really late but just to address this; do people think that there are a lot of consumers waiting for the slim because it's a new SKU? I expect a lot of sales for it but mostly because of the lower price. If it's the price that makes the biggest difference, won't those sales be cannabalised by the fat price-drop the preceding month?

Well the slim did fix the.... errors... that it's been having...

Eh, it allows them to rebrand the thing, which is better than nothing.

Subitai

Blu Ray is gonna be big as more and more people get HDTVs and the price of players doesn't go down with the PS3. I think the counter MS should be pushing harder now, but isn't, is the Netflix deal.

Given how Wii is slowly sliding down and the outside possibility of PS3 maintain significantly higher sales for a handful of weeks, Wii might end up 2nd next month, or possibly even 3rd if ODST bumps demand a lot more than expected.

It will be the 1st time in a long time that a September has been this big. I'd go back to 2002 for a showdown this big, when it was Star Fox Adventures vs Kingdom Hearts to give the lead for that September to GCN. Its pretty easy to see why that didn't happen now, but SMS just came out and people where about to be slammed with another hit on GCN. Many were underestimating what Madden had become and how it didn't work the same GCN, so it was harder to see the fortified position PS2 had at the time.

In any event have and extra helping of popcorn ready for next month.

FrankT

Eh they are certainly pushing the Netflix angle. All the new boxing has the Netflix labeling right on the front. Although they could be pushing it more.

pr0cs

CitizenCope said:
This xbot also believes ODST will see numbers more on par with Halo Wars. I've got 0 real life friends picking it up including myself and It looks like a half dozen people in my clan are picking it up where 40 of them picked up Halo 3. Just a guess.
They haven't really started advertising it yet. I expect that will change, though I'll agree with the statement that ODST won't sell anywhere near Halo 3.

this thread is goin to shit
haters wanna hate, lovers wanna love, i dont even want none of the above,
i want to piss on you

but seriously september will indeed be an interesting month of tears and cheers

zero_suit

Interfectum said:
Wii dropped like a rock YOY... wow.

Wii's 2008 NPD sales were higher than any console ever and only behind the DS overall.

Of course, no one could expect the Wii to replicate 2008.

Top Bottom