• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

AmuroChan

Gold Member
They do, but people find them, box finds out, and they take them down.

I'm sure they do, but NPD can't really stop those people who've seen the numbers from talking about them on the internet right? Like if I happened to see those numbers somewhere, I can come here and post that Madden sold X copies on PS4 and Y copies on XB1 right?

Dante316

Thread seems to be slower then other months, everybody will be hyped up for September NPD though. When is it? October 15th?

You cant which is why leakers get shut down time to time and when leakers are posting they are vague,discreet and give out minimal info also why that site got destroyed once NPD found out they were posting numbers.

You missed the post where I said they take it down.

truth411

Madden, like call of duty, is a traditionally xbox franchise. They even have exclusive marketing deals with EA to promote madden as and xbox franchise, so if its still getting outsold by the ps4 version, the bone is in big trouble.

That's not true, you must not remember the PS2 days. Anywho I await official numbers...

I'm sure they do, but NPD can't really stop those people who've seen the numbers from talking about them on the internet right? Like if I happened to see those numbers somewhere, I can come here and post that Madden sold X copies on PS4 and Y copies on XB1 right?

Sure once you disseminate information, it's out there BUT you need to be able to verify said information as accurate cough*not chartz*cough AND continuing to disseminate information month to month will be hard as NPD does everything in its power to track you down

Hence why we get something like the gamecrate leak only to be discovered and taken down

Jomjom

Banned
C'mon people - if the xb1 version of madden outsold the ps4's across all channels (physical, bundled, digital) Aaron Greenberg would be making this point known to anyone with a pulse.

Instead we're getting more PR obfuscation.

They can't make a comment like that because they have no idea how many digital copies sold on PS4.

Not exact info. But if madden sold 237 k on Xbox you can say it sold almost 250k.

Dlacy13g

I don't think these results should shock anyone. Madden selling better on PS4 in NPD's shouldn't be shocking given we know a large portion of former 360 gamers have migrated to the PS4.

Some actual numbers would be great to see though. You have to wonder how close or not close it was.

Tubie

We need a hero insider to save this thread and post some numbers, any numbers. I'll be happy with Vita numbers at this point :(

Ty4on

So odd to refresh a fresh NPD thread and not get new posts...

Edit: Oooh, I just bought popcorn! I was planning on staying up all night anyways I just hoped it'd be a little less, silent.

Elios83

Going by the wording of the Sony PR and the (lack of) wording in the MS PR, it seems like Madden PS4 outsold the X1 version even including bundles.
About the rest...nothing really surprising. September will be a bloodbath for X1, October will be an other easy victory for PS4.
November seems the best chance that Microsoft has to catch up or surpass PS4 sales for a month with Halo, crazy deals and holiday bundles giving away multiple games.
That is unless GTAV is not delayed and Sony has an other huge exclusive bundle coming out just in November :p

C4Lukins

They can't make a comment like that because they have no idea how many digital copies sold on PS4.

That plus only Nintendo so far have referenced digital sales. Sony and MS seem to be hesitant about throwing digital sales into retailers faces.

Ty4on

Yeah, you guys are too impatient!

I don't mind no info when this thread is on fire, but there are like three posts a minute now :/

Don't take this as me pushing insiders, just commenting that the thread is slow.
Relatively boring month + somehow even less info than we already get = waning interest
I guess. Still odd when the prediction thread moved faster :p
And I can make edits that are seen.

Not all that surprised by Mario Kart. I think a lot of people thought it would be this big time system seller but it likely just sold mostly to the existing audience and unfortunately with Wii U, that audience is microscopic.

Curufinwe

It is possible for XB1 to make a comeback this holiday but why does Greenberg go all in on such an unnecessary tweet? So dumb.

It's especially funny if, like me, you used to listen him come on Major Nelson's podcast to crow about the NPD numbers.

Chobel

Really though, checked out his post history and don't see it. What is this mystical Vita prediction?

I'm assuming he means this comment
So to start again as a favor to marinefish:

Last month about 7 stores started selling more vita than usual. Usually they kind of sit there, but I am assuming it increased a bit.

In 18 stores Xbox ones usually have been selling well. A few stores sold out and got new shipments. Usually 3 Xbox ones were seen in a store often. In front of one store 3 people were in N, F, and L costumes waving Xbox signs and a lot of people were leaving with Xbox ones. Forza and Madden looked to be the most though on shelves.

2 stores of the 20 scenes out by the last week, decent sales but plenty of stock for pretty much all systems.

Ps4s were selling to, but not as much. Probably due to Destiny wait.

Yoday

Without AC Unity slipping to November maybe October would have been up compared to last year but now I don't know. Well maybe November. It's so packed (It's every year though). Of course digital taking bigger and bigger partion of the sales makes yoy comparisons little unfair.
Far too many games have slipped from October, there is going to be a massive decline over last year. Last year had BF4, ACIV, and continued sales of GTAV. The trend will probably end in November though, when we have a number of huge releases including COD, Dragon Age, AC:U, Far Cry 4, MCC, and most likely the GTAV remaster. From then on I think we are going to continue to see growth as more software is sold in December to more owners of new consoles, and the first few months of 2015 are absolutely packed when they are normally barren by comparison.

Amir0x

Banned
man but EA Access and/or all the bundle deals :(

seriously though, we're in a holding pattern now until the next significant wave of games. I don't think those will change the trajectory, but you never know what might catch fire. With PS4 association with Destiny however I'm not sure anything will change.

Jomjom

Banned
Does the NPD report give exact numbers for how many Madden Xbone bundles sold apart from the total Xbones sold?

hawk2025

Ah I see. Sample Size issues.

Beyond sample size, people should always be keenly aware of how their sample may suffer from severe selection issues, which is why we want them to clarify where their info is coming from in the first place.

If it was that easy to make correct extrapolations from small data like this guy tried, the NPD wouldn't even exist.

There aren't many costs in including DLC for a specific platform. But there is some.

Essentially X amount of hours for QA, some publishing costs and programmer time. Minimal design work.

That's how bad DLC purchase-rate is for the Wii. It can't pay for one of the least expensive things in game development. But you have remember where they're coming from. Wii U owners likely owned a Wii, where Nintendo did everything in their power to gimp DLC because of the lack of storage on the Wii. They conditioned their userbase to not buy DLC and this is the result of that. (Publishers get MORE MONEY on a game if the size is under a certain download limit)

I'd be interested to see the Mario Kart 8 DLC purchase rate. That announcement dominated gaming headlines for a couple days and most people on MK8 GAF bought it instantly. Also, New Super Luigi U, NES Remix, and Duck Tales Remastered did well enough digitally to warrant a retail version. I think it's more the case that the DLC has to appeal to Wii U players, it can't just be any old DLC.

man but EA Access and/or all the bundle deals :(

seriously though, we're in a holding pattern now until the next significant wave of games. I don't think those will change the trajectory, but you never know what might catch fire. With PS4 association with Destiny however I'm not sure anything will change.

Help us Master Chief, you're our only hope.

I don't see how else they can do it now outside of price drops or crazy bundles.

Amir0x

Banned
Other observation: With no MK8 on the chart this month too is set to be disastrous for Wii U. Where is marc^o^? I want to know if he has revised his prediction yet.

Top Bottom