• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

Sadist said:
500k for MW on Wii?

Hmmm... I thought that EEDAR analyst said MW will most likely underperform when compared to World at War. But if the 500k number would be correct, it needs 250k in sales to match WaW Wii.

WaW was well over a million last time I heard. Do you mean at this point in its life?

Road

Fun fact: Both the PS3 and the Wii sold only in 2009 in the US as much as their cumulative total in Japan since launch (2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009).
Code:
	US 2009	   JP LTD

PS3	   4.33	     4.50
WII	   9.59	     9.61

(in millions)

Sadist

DeaconKnowledge said:
WaW was well over a million last time I heard. Do you mean at this point in its life?
Well, JVM posted an article on Gamasutra a few months back and it stated that in North America alone WaW Wii sold 750k.

Worldwide it's over a million units.

Jokeropia

NeoUltima said:
What I mean by wrong market is that more can be made from a ps3/360 'hardcore' game than a Wii game. Fact is the hardcore gaming crowd is mostly on the HD consoles. A hardcore game, say an fps, is going to sell more on the HD consoles. CoD:WaW is a good example. All 3 console versions got relatively equal reviews, however the Wii version, while still successful, came nowhere near the success of the HD versions. The market for those types of games is primarily on the HD systems.
Two things wrong here.

1.) Calling CoD a "hardcore" game. It's not. (Especially by your own definition that Nintendo's games aren't core games because they appeal to casuals. CoD appeals to casuals.)

2.) Using CoD 5 as an example. The franchise exploded with CoD 4, a game that never released on Wii. CoD 3 however, sold more on Wii than PS3.
NeoUltima said:
And...? That's what matters to the bottom line. What word would you prefer?
His point is that most publishers are not making profit in the current market.

Kuroyume said:
No Uncharted 2 in the top 20? I guess that's what happens when you have laggy controls and no matchmaking.

wtf?

are you talking about killzone?

uncharted has controls that are as smooth as butter. and matchmaking.

jrricky said:
Really? Why is not called Halo 4 then?

Can't wait to see Microsoft's marketing campaign then. More halo branded drinks.

Because it's the same idea as with CoD series, annualy re-hash of the same universe, mechanics, etc. Incremental improvements full-priced. That's why CoD goes this way (CoD MW2 is CoD 6 correct?), at some point it becomes retarded and Microsoft knows it.

Gamers can pay for stuff like FFXIII because it's a different game every single time. You can call FIFA 2010 FIFA 15th or FIFA 20th (how mnay years is this going on?) but you won't mostly because it makes more sense to number it on a year basis.

Halo: Reach is Halo 4. I thought that was obvious to all.

stupei

pakkit said:
If you own a Wii and haven't bought Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, let it be known that I hate you a little bit.

This is from so many, many pages back, but I still agree with it so much.

What's sad is that GiantBomb sold this game to me and that seems to be the case for a lot of people on GAF who ended up giving the game a chance. Konami, on the other hand, didn't do shit.

Maybe the positive word of mouth will give it some legs. I honestly think it's a perfect game for the Wii audience. It's a reboot so it requires no prior knowledge (and is not designated as 5th in a series), it makes mostly great and intuitive use of the motion controls, provides a far less visceral but still very eerie perhaps more accessible horror experience, and the graphics are some of the best on the console with tons of tiny details that add to the creepy tone. I mean, a trip to a horror movie is about as mainstream as something can get. This game is perfect for the mainstream, they just don't know it exists.

markatisu

Sadist said:
500k for MW on Wii?

Hmmm... I thought that EEDAR analyst said MW will most likely underperform when compared to World at War. But if the 500k number would be correct, it needs 250k in sales to match WaW Wii.

MW2 was so much bigger than MW that it might have had an effect on all things CoD; with the hype MW2 was getting I could see Reflex benefiting on the Wii.

Activision should be pretty thrilled though if the 500k is correct, they barely acknowledge the game and have done not even the basic advertising they did for the Wii WaW.

Watch more ports incoming as a result

I wonder what the breakdown for DJ Hero is, last time we got one is was pretty even across the board and resembled past music games with 360 slightly over Wii intially (and then Wii sku outsells the others in the 2nd month).

farnham

Banned
markatisu said:
MW2 was so much bigger than MW that it might have had an effect on all things CoD; with the hype MW2 was getting I could see Reflex benefiting on the Wii.

Activision should be pretty thrilled though if the 500k is correct, they barely acknowledge the game and have done not even the basic advertising they did for the Wii WaW.

Watch more ports incoming as a result

I wonder what the breakdown for DJ Hero is, last time we got one is was pretty even across the board and resembled past music games with 360 slightly over Wii intially (and then Wii sku outsells the others in the 2nd month).
that would be awesome! i loved COD WaW on the wii... too bad i already bought MW and MW2 on the 360..

jvm

Gamasutra.
markatisu said:
I'm interested in this MW1 figure for the Wii. I did not request it from NPD, but I can say that Michael Pachter didn't mention it in his notes. Now, as we should all realize, the absence of data is not necessarily meaningful. However, I actually thought he might have mentioned it in his ATVI discussion if it had had sales over 400K.

Another thing. The figure I thought I recalled being confirmed in a Kotaku piece by Totilo was under 100K. (Checked: 81K as of November 2009 results.)

To reach 5x the 110K figure I think is being discussed, the MW1 for Wii would have to have sold in excess of 470K in December, no? If we believe that AC2 PS3 > 417K but MW1 Wii didn't make the top 20, then I don't see how MW1 Wii could have exceeded 500K at this point.

I hope y'all can help me put the pieces together here. Have I got it wrong? (This isn't for my article, which is a bit more big-picture focused...happy to discuss it now.)

jvm said:
I'm interested in this MW1 figure for the Wii. I did not request it from NPD, but I can say that Michael Pachter didn't mention it in his notes. Now, as we should all realize, the absence of data is not necessarily meaningful. However, I actually thought he might have mentioned it in his ATVI discussion if it had had sales over 400K.

Another thing. The figure I thought I recalled being confirmed in a Kotaku piece by Totilo was under 100K. (Checked: 81K as of November 2009 results.)

To reach 5x the 110K figure I think is being discussed, the MW1 for Wii would have to have sold in excess of 470K in December, no? If we believe that AC2 PS3 > 417K but MW1 Wii didn't make the top 20, then I don't see how MW1 Wii could have exceeded 500K at this point.

I hope y'all can help me put the pieces together here. Have I got it wrong? (This isn't for my article, which is a bit more big-picture focused...happy to discuss it now.)

At most the game sold around 400k, as Assassin's Creed 2 PS3 sold 417k, and that's in the Top 20. I'm guessing if we had a Top 25, it would be in there somewhere.

percephone said:
Well...he's right. By 151k in the USA. WW maybe...idk

Since launch. Slim launched in August and it didn't outsell the 360 in that month. It didn't outsell it since launch.

percephone said:
No..It will be tougher and tougher for Microsoft to get exclusives (DLC or games) from third party developers. It's common sense. And if they get exclusivity, it'll cost MS more since there is not two 360 for each PS3 like early 2009 (fyi it is now 1.67:1 or 5:3) and that is in MS strongest market, the USA.

Riddle me this Batman, what exclusive DLC has MS had that they didn't pay for? Look at MGS4, the PS3 was performing the worst and still got a big exclusive paid for title. Userbase only goes so far when the first party is throwing money at the company. Also, you think the MW2 DLC is timed exclusive to the 360 just because of userbase? Don't be naive.

MS and Sony will continue to throw money at third parties for exclusive DLC and games. PS3 outselling the 360 by a few hundred thousand units after 6 years isn't going to change this. This would have been impressive 3 years ago but the more time that goes on the less it matters.

Castor Krieg said:
Halo: Reach is Halo 4. I thought that was obvious to all.

I waited in line at Midnight to buy Halo 3, I might buy Reach when it hits the bargain bin.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm not banking against Halo's success. Reach will be successful as well.

What i'm saying is that Halo, Like GTA, is in nearing the decline stage of its product cycle. Namely, it's best selling days are long behind it. It's nothing against Halo and i'm not trying to downplay the monster success it's already had. However the reality is that Halo is no longer the definitive shooter on the 360 as it was with the XBOX, and is mired in strong competition, and by proxy those things, in addition to the semi regular releases (despite the amount of content) will hurt it.

It's like the 16-bit wars after Mario Bros. came out, and Sonic, Ristar, Kirby, et al shared company with Mario. At one time, the Mario series was the only game in town and as a result, the sales were in the stratosphere. Now, with increased competition, while Mario still did the best by a comfortable margin, it success was drastically reduced over previous efforts. With subsequent Mario releases, the franchise did less and less, in no small part to not being the only game in town.

Halo can't be compared to SP focused franchises like GTA. Halo 3 still sells today (it still pops up occassionally in the UK top 40) because of its multiplayer.

The multiplayer community is still increasing, as it has from Halo 1 -> Halo 2 -> Halo3.

If Halo Reach's multi is perceived as better than Halo 3's, the vast majority of the Halo community will switch over, and a slew of new 360 owners will buy in as well.

Halo doesn't really have any competition on 360 until someone else puts out a similar product. Games like Left 4 Dead, Gears of War, Call of Duty, and Halo can easily co-exist within the demographic of "shooter fans" on 360 because they offer drastically different experiences.

COD3 opened bigger than COD2 despite the presence of Gears. COD4 opened better than COD3 despite the presence of Halo 3/Bioshock/Orange Box. Gears 2 opened better than Gears despite the presence of WaW. Left 4 Dead 2 opened better than Left 4 Dead despite being overwhelmed by MW2.

I would not be reaching to suggest that Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 will have bigger openings than their predecessors.

Being the best represented genre on current HD consoles means that shooters have the most diversity within their own genre, and thus have less of a chance of eating each others lunch than many other games.

EDIT:

And RE: MS' position in the US versus the PS3 and YoY growth - the 360 still has two pretty big hands left to play:

$199 Elite/$99 Arcade

And

Natal

We may see the latter sooner than the former, but either will boost the perceived value of the console compared to what it is now. MS was complacent on price this year because they honestly didn't need to drop it to meet their sales goals, and they remained profitable. Next year, as the $299 pricepoint reaches saturation and the PS3 continues to gain ground, I'm sure they'll change their tune.

Dax01 said:
Anyone who thinks that Halo: Reach won't outsell Halo 3 within its first month is insane.

Hmmmmm, I may be insane since none of my friends are excited for this title at all where as for Halo 3 we were all waiting out till midnight. I know 2 guys that are going to pick it up for sure and those were the guys that ignored our MW group and stayed playing Halo 3 together.

markatisu

jvm said:

Well 400k+ was about what CoD WaW sold on Wii in Dec vs next to nothing in Nov, it would match the past history of the title on the platform.

feel

OldJadedGamer said:
Hmmmmm, I may be insane since none of my friends are excited for this title at all where as for Halo 3 we were all waiting out till midnight. I know 2 guys that are going to pick it up for sure and those were the guys that ignored our MW group and stayed playing Halo 3 together.
Noone knows much from the game yet... After the beta and in the months leading to the release, all the info, media and huge marketing will have everyone excited for a new Halo all over again. If your friends won't be part of it, good for you guys?? Most of my friends and I didn't care for MW2, and that sure didn't affect anything...

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Road said:
Fun fact: Both the PS3 and the Wii sold only in 2009 in the US as much as their cumulative total in Japan since launch (2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009).
Code:
	US 2009	   JP LTD

PS3	   4.33	     4.50
WII	   9.59	     9.61

(in millions)

You should add in the 360 for the lulz.

ZZMitch

OldJadedGamer said:
I waited in line at Midnight to buy Halo 3, I might buy Reach when it hits the bargain bin.
Which will probably sometime in 2013... I mean Halo 3 is still going for 30 bucks at most places.

jvm

Gamasutra.
markatisu said:
Well 400k+ was about what CoD WaW sold on Wii in Dec vs next to nothing in Nov, it would match the past history of the title on the platform.
Even if it were 410K, then we'd be talking 491K total. I realize that's close to 500K, but I'm trying to say that the 550K that people are getting from "five times 110K" must be a very coarse estimate.

491K/110K is approximately 4.5 ... seems a stretch to get to a factor of 5.

Maybe I'm just being picky.

Letters said:
Noone knows much from the game yet... After the beta and in the months leading to the release, all the info, media and huge marketing will have everyone excited for a new Halo all over again. If your friends won't be part of it, good for you guys?? Most of my friends and I didn't care for MW2, and that sure didn't affect anything...

But we were all huge Halo 2 and 3 players. Playing every single night. Were your group of friends huge COD4 players that just decided to pass on MW2?

jvm said:
Even if it were 410K, then we'd be talking 491K total. I realize that's close to 500K, but I'm trying to say that the 550K that people are getting from "five times 110K" must be a very coarse estimate.

491K/110K is approximately 4.5 ... seems a stretch to get to a factor of 5.

Maybe I'm just being picky.

I'm not sure where you got this 110k/x5 ratio. I heard 500k straight up. What is that 110k from anyways? The game sold 81k last month.

Edit: I see you were talking about the Destructoid article. I'm pretty sure they must be using something other than solid numbers, because the Excitebots number they have is from November, while their Reflex number is definitely not from November. Was there a PR release or something from Activision?

ZZMitch

OldJadedGamer said:
I must be sane, because me and my friends are hyped for Reach, moreso than for Halo 3 (not as much as 2 tho, I managed to miss school because of a dentist appointment on the day of it's release :D ).

feel

OldJadedGamer said:
But we were all huge Halo 2 and 3 players. Playing every single night. Were your group of friends huge COD4 players that just decided to pass on MW2?
If you really were into Halo 2 or 3, and Reach turns out to be better than those, you will get excited for it, unless your tastes have changed. It's still early, like I said, we still know almost nothing about Reach.

OldJadedGamer said:

How could they be excited?

The first details of Reach's SP were just released this week. And outside of message board denizens/GI subscribers/Edge subscribers, no one in the general public has seen those. Unless your friends are from the future, they don't even know what the multiplayer entails. No one has even seen any gameplay in motion.

Trying to estimate sales based on hype is fruitless at this stage, which is why I'm banking on Bungie's track record to keep their fanbase, and the trending of FPS sequels this generation.

donny2112

Tiktaalik said:
Didn't Anihawk say several NPDs ago that it wasn't that impressive because the rate of 3rd party million sellers was massively worse than that of the Xbox?

Why would he say such an untrue statement?

Letters said:
If you really were into Halo 2 or 3, and Reach turns out to be better than those, you will get excited for it, unless your tastes have changed. It's still early, like I said, we still know almost nothing about Reach.

The Halo 3 matchmaking is broken and that is the main reason I was turned off. We played so much at launch that I jumped up to a level 30 pretty fast due to all the extra players there. Now I try to sign in and a level 30 is way more skilled than a level 30 near launch do to the limited base. But no matter how much I get my ass kicked my level isn't going down to match me with other players of my same skill level. So I'm forever doomed to play dudes that are way.... way too good at the game that makes it very boring for me.

Plus, I'm sick of not being able to pick my own weapons. That has started to really annoy me and I think is an outdated play model. Before Bungie had my money for Halo 3 without even showing me a single screenshot... now they really have to go pretty far to convince me to put down money for Reach.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
How could they be excited?

The first details of Reach's SP were just released this week. And outside of message board denizens/GI subscribers/Edge subscribers, no one in the general public has seen those. Unless your friends are from the future, they don't even know what the multiplayer entails. No one has even seen any gameplay in motion.

Trying to estimate sales based on hype is fruitless at this stage, which is why I'm banking on Bungie's track record to keep their fanbase, and the trending of FPS sequels this generation.

We all had the same *hype* for ODST at the same time frame. We'll see but I think Halo 3 really soured us on the game and the release of COD4 just made us push Halo 3 to the way side. We'll see but we knew not a damn thing about Halo 3 but we all knew we were staying in line at midnight. I'm comparing it to Halo 3 on the hype level and right now, it's not holding up.

Road

chuckddd said:
You should add in the 360 for the lulz.
The 360 sold in 1 month in the US (1.31 million; 12/2009) more than what it sold in Japan in 49 months (1.20 million; 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009).

Someone asked last month for a US x JP comparison, so here it is for December (same 5 weeks; NPD & Famitsu; in thousands):
Code:
	 TOTAL	  US	JAPAN

WII	 4,695 	 3,810 	 885 
PS3	 1,994 	 1,360 	 634 
360	 1,346 	 1,310 	  36 
NDS	 4,250 	 3,310 	 940 
PSP	 1,149 	   655 	 494 
PS2	   352 	   333 	  19

Cygnus X-1

jvm said:
Top 20 is up!
top-20-dec-09.png

Go Scribblenauts!!!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
markatisu said:
WaW had Wii specific commercials that started in December though. MW was dropped unceremoniously on the market hoping to ride MW2 hype.

Kuroyume said:
No Uncharted 2 in the top 20? I guess that's what happens when you have laggy controls and no matchmaking.

WTF are you talking about?

Dax01 said:
Anyone who thinks that Halo: Reach won't outsell Halo 3 within its first month is insane.

I have to agree. Reach is the first Halo in a long time that I am getting this excited about. Hopefully its the breath of fresh air the series needs.

Cygnus X-1

The fact that Mario still dominate after 29 years after its creation is the craziest point I think. Crazier then the Wii and DS's sales combined.

yurinka

fernoca said:
Seeing now, it was mainly a matter of wording. He said "it outsold it since the Slim was released", yet there were 2 months when it didn't (August and November)..it still sold more overall.
OldJadedGamer said:
Since launch. Slim launched in August and it didn't outsell the 360 in that month. It didn't outsell it since launch.
Why do you include August? As I remember in late August there was the price cut for old SKUs, but the Slim was released September 1st.

CassSept

Cygnus X-1 said:
The fact that Mario still dominate after 29 years after its creation is the craziest point I think. Crazier then the Wii and DS's sales combined.
Mario Kart DS is still in Top20, 4 years after it's release... NSMB is even close to Top10, and it was released in ~may-june '06.... this is crazy

Arnie

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm not banking against Halo's success. Reach will be successful as well.

What i'm saying is that Halo, Like GTA, is in nearing the decline stage of its product cycle. Namely, it's best selling days are long behind it. It's nothing against Halo and i'm not trying to downplay the monster success it's already had. However the reality is that Halo is no longer the definitive shooter on the 360 as it was with the XBOX, and is mired in strong competition, and by proxy those things, in addition to the semi regular releases (despite the amount of content) will hurt it.
I disagree. There is no indication that Halo is nearing it's declining stage. ODST was an expansion, with no new multiplayer and was marketed as such. Microsoft never claimed it would be the biggest game of the year, they didn't have a marketing campaign on the same level as Halo 3 and the general public new that. The marketing budget for Halo 3 was astronomical, and in that sense Reach will be on par. It is Halo 4, just not titled as such due to chronological inconsistencies, Reach being a prequel and all. Comments like this: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=231667

StephenMcGill said:
Halo: Reach takes the legacy of Halo's rich multiplayer gameplay to an entirely new level, delivering experiences that we think old and new players alike will enjoy for years to come.

It is clear that Microsoft aim to use all their resources in order to make sure Reach outsells Halo 3. Audiences will know that Reach is a big deal. Not to mention the Beta which, as is the purpose of them nowadays, will generate lots of hype within the community.

I fully expect Reach to be the biggest game of 2010 on the 360. Coupled with Natal I expect the 360 to post much improved numbers in the fall of 2010, and anything other than that would definitely be considered a failure for them.
OldJadedGamer said:
I'm comparing it to Halo 3 on the hype level and right now, it's not holding up.
By now in Halo 3's PR cycle we had already seen a huge multiplayer reveal. As it stands now Microsoft are keeping the multiplayer under wraps until further notice. In fact we only received the first in game screenshots this week. It should not be surprising that you had more hype for Halo 3 at this point. And I will agree, I think ODST did the franchise more harm than good, but that isn't going to decrease the success of Reach.

yurinka said:
Why do you include August? As I remember in late August there was the price cut for old SKUs, but the Slim was released September 1st.

You remember wrong then because I bought my personal Slim unit in August and have the Amazon.com receipt to prove it. There was no official street date for the system, Sony told retailers to start selling them as soon as they received stock.

Arnie said:
By now in Halo 3's PR cycle we had already seen a huge multiplayer reveal. As it stands now Microsoft are keeping the multiplayer under wraps until further notice. In fact we only received the first in game screenshots this week. It should not be surprising that you had more hype for Halo 3 at this point. And I will agree, I think ODST did the franchise more harm than good, but that isn't going to decrease the success of Reach.

I'm taking a wait and see approach. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. Only time will tell. For my own opinion on the game if they don't allow me to choose my own gun then I will not buy the game. I'm tired of it being less about my skill and more about how fast I can run to the weapons and hold them.

dolemite

yurinka said:
The slim was on sale in the US about 10 day before the end of August essentially at the same time as the Phat price cut.

Arnie

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm taking a wait and see approach. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. Only time will tell. For my own opinion on the game if they don't allow me to choose my own gun then I will not buy the game. I'm tired of it being less about my skill and more about how fast I can run to the weapons and hold them.
Halo is probably the only console shooter first person shooter on the 360 that actually relies on skill. In a slayer game you spawn within distance of a Battle Rifle and there are playlists with permanent BR starts such as MLG. I doubt Bungie will change the way Halo plays, such as map control and weapon pickups. Halo is Halo, not Call of Duty.

Xeke

Banned
Road said:
Code:
	US 2009	   JP LTD

PS3	   4.33	     4.50
WII	   9.59	     9.61

(in millions)

That's why I think Nintendo just doesn't care about Japan as much as they once did and that is the reason for the releases and situation over there at this point.

Dax01 said:

count me in for the insane crowd.

Unless ODST outsold Halo 3 as well, other than that I would not expect "start the fight...ish" to outsell "finish the fight".

No doubt MS will market it to hell and back, but I don't really see the appeal of Reach as going beyond what has come before.

yurinka

OldJadedGamer said:
You remember wrong then because I bought my personal Slim unit in August and have the Amazon.com receipt to prove it. There was no official street date for the system, Sony told retailers to start selling them as soon as they received stock.
It was announced August 18th at Gamescom, and the street day was September 1st. So even if someone sold it the day it was announced (that didn't happened) it wasn't even half a month.

http://uk.playstation.com/games-med...em229653/Entertainment-on-PS3-has-a-new-look/

Even Sony allowed the retailers to sell as they received stock, it's impossible to sell the console for the entire month. Maybe a week, or a week and a half aprox. in the best case.

Some shops don't care about street days and they sell the products some days before, but not a month before.

Top Bottom