• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

FrankT

Mael said:
But that's preposterous, I mean maybe they have a project that's suited for XBLA and not DS.
I mean are we arguing that EAD 3's best avenue change every time they release a game so they change the platforms they put Zelda on?
i mean it seems really stupid for an argument, maybe I missed something

Definitely not my argument.

No DA LTDs Ani? Am disappoint.

poppabk said:
Xbox Arcade must be doing some serious numbers or the profit margin must be massively better if it is a better avenue than the DS for 5th Cell.
In most cases, and depending on the details of the arrangement, the margin of return to a developer is going to be far better on a given DD channel than anything they do at physical retail...especially on DS cartridges, I imagine.

AniHawk said:
A little bit, yeah. I wouldn't look too much into it, but its LTD has tripled since the first month.
Although A Boy and His Blob never did huge sales to begin with (or even "good" sales, for that matter), it's nice to see that it's been having a slow burn. If I remember correctly, this was basically the sales pattern that WayForward expected, and I hope it can reach 100k LTD.

Mael

Jtyettis said:
Definitely not my argument.

Ok then.

Nice to know that CoD MW is doing well on Wii,
maybe someday we'll get a real effort (sorry HVS but your controls are the best but the game.....)

Busaiku

SabinFigaro said:
Although A Boy and His Blob never did huge sales to begin with (or even "good" sales, for that matter), it's nice to see that it's been having a slow burn. If I remember correctly, this was basically the sales pattern that WayForward expected, and I hope it can reach 100k LTD.
I think Anihawk said it was something like 9k first month?
Can't remember exactly.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
AniHawk said:
Rabbids Go Home is the best-selling hardcore Wii game this year.

Rabbids Go Home > Metroid Prime Trilogy > The Conduit > Excitebots, MadWorld, Overkill

yea but you make it sound like it's leagues above. All those games are very close. Clearly Rabbids will eventually leave them all in the dust, but the Sega games at least will all end up hitting the same milestone more or less before dying out.

I'm curious as to whether or not Super Mario Galaxy got a bump this holiday season due ot the success of NSMWB. Nearly four million Wiis were sold in December; certainly, some of the new Wii owners must have picked up Galaxy, right? There were seven Mario-related titles in the top 20, so I hope some of that success trickled down to SMG.

AniHawk said:
Rabbids Go Home is the best-selling hardcore Wii game this year.

Rabbids Go Home > Metroid Prime Trilogy > The Conduit > Excitebots, MadWorld, Overkill
I'll guess, tell me if I'm close

Rabbids <300k
MP Trilogy about 250kish
Conduit a little lower
inFamous = Punch-Out > 500k
squee

This month, Wario Land > Excitebots (LTD)
Holy hell, that's depressing. Also funny because I have excitebots and not wario land. I should fix that soon.

FrankT

Hmm, if you say 290k and 550k then my theory was correct then. ME1 LTD to this point > DA 360+PS3 LTD. Could go closer to 590k with the 360 version and they would be even.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aaron Strife said:
Holy hell, that's depressing. Also funny because I have excitebots and not wario land. I should fix that soon.

who says it's depressing rather than just a case of wario land shake it having an enormous christmas bump?

Stumpokapow said:
who says it's depressing rather than just a case of wario land shake it having an enormous christmas bump?
Excitebots having its entire LTD outsold by a year old (kind of niche?) game in one month

It is great for Wario Land though

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Jtyettis said:
Hmm, if you say 290k and 550k then my theory was correct then. ME1 LTD to this point > DA 360+PS3 LTD. Could go closer to 590k with the 360 version and they would be even.

Your theory sucked last month and it sucks this month. Dragon Age is absolutely, positively, outselling Mass Effect so far, even not counting PC.

Here's my bets for the month:

I will bet you $100 USD on my side against $25 on your side for each of the following conditions; take as many or as few as you'd like.

1) Dragon Age is >900k lifetime so far between the 360 and PS3 versions.
2) As a result, Dragon Age first two months sales between 360 and PS3 versions is above Mass Effect's first two month sales.
3) The 360 version of Dragon Age is above 600k, although below Mass Effect's first two month sales.

AniHawk

Aaron Strife said:
I'll guess, tell me if I'm close

Rabbids <300k
MP Trilogy about 250kish
Conduit a little lower

200k > Rabbids

OmegaRed said:
How much has A Crack in Time sold in the US total? It's a good game that deserves some good sales.

ACIT > 250k. The series has unfortunately run its course, I think. My guess is Insomniac has one good entry in it left before it becomes a relic of the past like Spyro and Crash. There hasn't been a high selling R&C game since 2005 (or 2004, really).

FrankT

Stumpokapow said:

Your theory sucked last month and it sucks this month. Dragon Age is absolutely, positively, outselling Mass Effect so far, even not counting PC.

Here's my bets for the month:

I will bet you $100 USD on my side against $25 on your side for each of the following conditions; take as many or as few as you'd like.

1) Dragon Age is >900k lifetime so far between the 360 and PS3 versions.
2) As a result, Dragon Age first two months sales between 360 and PS3 versions is above Mass Effect's first two month sales.
3) The 360 version of Dragon Age is above 600k, although below Mass Effect's first two month sales.

Well it certainly doesn't look like it is above 600k because ani just said greater than 500k. Even if you put at the high end of 500k range (590k) and 290k for the PS3 you are sitting at below 881k. Where do you think you are going to get exact numbers anyhow. It would need to be 600k and 300k each and it doesn't look it at all with those estimates above. A

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jtyettis said:
Well it certainly doesn't look like it is above 600k because ani just said greater than 500k.

Take the bet then.

Even if you put at the high end of 500k range (590k) and 290k for the PS3 you are sitting at below 841k.

Take the bet then.

Where do you think you are going to get exact numbers anyhow.

After we went back and forth on the issue last month (where I was correct and you were incorrect) the numbers magically turned up. I trust they will this month as well.

AniHawk

Jtyettis said:
Well it certainly doesn't look like it is above 600k because ani just said greater than 500k. Even if you put at the high end of 500k range (590k) and 290k for the PS3 you are sitting at below 881k. Where do you think you are going to get exact numbers anyhow. It would need to be 600k and 300k each and it doesn't look it at all with those estimates above. A

600k is also greater than 500k.

FrankT

Stumpokapow said:
Take the bet then.

After we went back and forth on the issue last month (where I was correct and you were incorrect) the numbers magically turned up. I trust they will this month as well.

Oh so it's like that I see. :lol

That was 881k, corrected.

AniHawk said:
600k is also greater than 500k.

Indeed it is. Let's see those numbers then. If it is then it barely is which is fine too.

Small edit: I'm totally fine with being wrong to this point as well if you haven't noticed. I know you are all about your bets and all that, which is great. I hope someone comes in here and posts the numbers to the net so they can answer the call. Not bothered at all with this outcome, but I will continue to track it. And yes I did in fact believe ME would be greater than the total LTD to this point. I admit without issue.

Jtyettis said:
Oh so it's like that I see. :lol

That was 881k, corrected.

Indeed it is. Let's see those numbers then.

Just remember that Anihawk can't be to specific because if he is, NPD could trace numbers to the leaks. Some of his numbers are probably rounded more than others because of this.

We know that the LTD for Excitebots is over 100k from a Destructoid article, so it's safe to say that Warioland sold a lot of units this month. Was there a deal somewhere or is it just 20$ now?

AniHawk

Barrage said:
AniHawk, can you fix your best-selling Hardcore game quote to include Punch-Out? crooked numbers are being quoted on this page.
I removed it altogether, considering MW Reflex outsold RGH too.

I'm fairly certain some games from 08 sold more in 09 too, like World at War and The Force Unleashed (long legs).

farnham

Banned
AniHawk said:
A little bit, yeah. I wouldn't look too much into it, but its LTD has tripled since the first month.
YEAH about A Boy and his Blob and Wario Land

Probably the whole 2D Platforming Market got a boost thanks to NSMBWii

AniHawk

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
This is nice to hear. I had a lot of fun with Warioland, it deserves some more love.

Do we know how Jak and Daxter LF is doing? PS2 sku if possible...

Over 100k for Jak and Daxter 2, with 60% of the purchases made on the PS2.

130k > GT PSP > Bloodlines

40k > Tekken 6 PSP

farnham

Banned
I guess the Marvelous games (No More Heroes, Rune Factory Frontier, Little King Story, Muramasa) all did abysmally...

AniHawk said:

40k > Tekken 6 PSP
oh wow @ namco.. talk about wasted potential

carlosp

Banned
AniHawk said:
Over 100k for Jak and Daxter 2, with 60% of the purchases made on the PS2.

40k > Tekken 6 PSP
wasnt the last tekken on psp à Million seller? what Went wrong this time arround?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sipowicz said:
Rabbids couldn't even manage 200k in 2009?

that's fucking terrible

I'm guessing its roughly in line with most games in the series.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
carlosp said:
wasnt the last tekken on psp à Million seller? what Went wrong this time arround?
Tekken became largely irrelevant as a franchise since then, as did the PSP as a platform in the West.

I've never seen someone do such a great job of delaying a series into oblivion.

Top Bottom