• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2016

Welfare

They're saying that Greenbergs idea of sold through has in fact in the past meant to mean to retailers and not consumers.

And then in the link I posted, he clarifies what 1 million sold means. I don't care about what he said in the past because in the present, he clarified exactly what it was.

demigod

-

-

Indeed for what we know they can even be bigger lol. You can't know this, for what we knwo, ROTT digital sales can be even 30%, and you have no source for say this is not possible.

The fact is one. Greenberg said 1 million. And say this is not true.

Since you are the only who asked for a proof, now is my turn.

Tell me the proof which have Tomb Raider under 1 million.

Correction, he said "well over". Nope i have no proof, but Bruno's stats doesn't even show it come close to 1 mil let alone "well over".

And then in the link I posted, he clarifies what 1 million sold means. I don't care about what he said in the past because in the present, he clarified exactly what it was.

You might want to look at it again. He responded with "sell through" and not "sell through to consumers". And yes i know what the question that he was asked.

Welfare

So Siege is legging out really really well. Is it possible it charts for a 3rd month in a row? Its still in the top 10 each week in the UK

At best I say it'll be #10 in February. Street Fighter and Far Cry will chart, and after DBX success in the US, I think Naruto can chart. Garden Warfare 2 could also chart as well now that it will launch on both XB1 and PS4 at the same time.

At best I say it'll be #10 in February. Street Fighter and Far Cry will chart, and after DBX success in the US, I think Naruto can chart as well.

Naruto, Far Cry, Street Fighter are all guaranteed charting new releases. Also GTAV, Minecraft, and BO3. So thats 6 of the 10 spots. So yeah it might be difficult for it to. I'm just curious if it will since UK and US are so similar and its been in the top 10 each week of February so far

joecanada

I hope it does. Though on the negative, all these new players are ruining the matchmaking. Ubisoft doesn't seem to have any restrictions on who gets matched with who.

:lol

they should focus on getting matched with anyone before selecting who you get matched with. servers are terrible. should be a ping filter 100% though as well.

ethomaz

Banned
He said in the past "sell thought" to him means retail.
That is why they are saying that.

But 1m WW is perfectly reasonable.

BTW it is not the first time Greenbergs do that... he announced at some conference over 56m 360 sold to consumers when in fact a week after MS released the earnings with 55.6m shipped.

Elandyll

Banned
Why are we arguing whether it was 900k or 1.1m WW (including digital) for Tomb Raider after the November and December sales on 360 and XB1 were counted? (imo I don't really see why Greenberg would lie about being above 1 million, it's nothing to write home about. The only dubious part being the "well above" qualifier I think).

It's downright awful either way tbh.

And while the release on PC did "ok" adding something like another 450k WW or so within its first week afaik, it's still nowhere near where the TR franchise should be in theory (well known and beloved franchise, second outing of the reboot, well reviewed both critically and by users, and biggest sale period of the year).

Welfare

I'm thinking about dropping the Wii U from the LTD market share comparison. It's going to start selling peanuts (more so than last year) and its share is just going to drop every month anyway.

This is as of January
Code:
LTD Market Share

PS4: 44% [+1%]
XB1: 39% [-0%]
WIU: 17% [-1%]

Now if we just have just the XB1/PS4

Code:
LTD Market Share

PS4: 53%
XB1: 47%

Why are we arguing whether it was 900k or 1.1m WW (including digital) for Tomb Raider after the November and December sales on 360 and XB1 were counted? (imo I don't really see why Greenberg would lie about being above 1 million, it's nothing to write home about. The only dubious part being the "well above" qualifier I think).

It's downright awful either way tbh.

And while the release on PC did "ok" adding something like another 450k WW or so within its first week afaik, it's still nowhere near where the TR franchise should be in theory (well known and beloved franchise, second outing of the reboot, well reviewed both critically and by users, and biggest sale period of the year).

That's the funny part. For a set of people ROTTR didn't do bad enough. It's not so much it disappoints, it must fail terribly and bring great shame to all involved.

I'm thinking about dropping the Wii U from the LTD market share comparison. It's going to start selling peanuts (more so than last year) and its share is just going to drop every month anyway.

This is as of January
Code:
LTD Market Share

Code:
LTD Market Share

Poor Wii U though.... :(

This is as of January
Code:
LTD Market Share

Code:
LTD Market Share

I wouldn't mind it.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
If people think Mortal Kombat numbers are impressive ( they are ), people should look at Super Smash Bros Brawl first NPD. :p

It sold more than double than Mortal Kombat. :p

I need a new hobby. Getting crotchety in my old age. What do you suggest?
Please clarify.
If you need a hobby where you can be as crotchety and bad tempered as you like I have a product for you. We call it salesGaf, Mr. Queso, it was salesGaf all along.
If, on the other hand you need a hobby to clean your mind from negative energy and transform your inner child in a constant stream of prozacial eruptions - play your WiiU, fanboy.

RexNovis

Banned
So you guys remember that conversation we were having about Dark Souls 3 getting released with Dark Souls for back compat thanks to the MS marketing deal back in the predictions thread?

Hadn't thought of that. They do have some sort of marketing deal. Certainly possible. Having both previous entries packaged in as Back Compat versions would be a pretty big selling point for fans of the series.

and then a bunch of you were quick to inform me MS probably didnt actually have the marketing deal?

Welp Dark Souls Xbox 360 BC coming within the next 10 days (free with DS3 preorder)

I am a bit concerned about the potential performance or input lag issues that might create though. Dark Souls is one of those games where lower performance could truly break enjoyment of the game. Hopefully it will hold up well but it is a strong bonus for Souls fans to purchase DKS3 on Xbox. Should make things a bit more interesting when it comes to the software split.

RexNovis

Banned
Also for those of you skeptical of SFV's reception:

Game is lacking in content compared to other fighting games. The roll-out plan isn't really going to do the game favors unless reviewers re-review it at a later date (and I don't even think that has much of an impact on sales).

I'm pegging it at mid 70's personally.

With a game like this, the actual gameplay is irrelevant to most reviewers (lets be honest, who actually trusts reviewers to review fighting games?) It's all about content and SFV appeals to the online warrior/core crowd with it's feature set.

I still don't expect much more than 400k.

I'd get a good laugh if a content starved game launching at full price and "future promise" but the type that you had to pay for, would score that much higher than Splatoon or Battlefront or Destiny. Good gameplay isn't an excuse in that scenario. All good games, and all got a shellacking for their lack of content (and two of them gave a lot more for free).

Especially not when MKX is brought in for comparison.

Edit: And since this isn't the place for it, there's a loooong discussion on how potentially troubled/thin the release and development of SFV is/was here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1182902&page=19

I also don't expect SFV to move the needle much, but Primal may do decently well.

Maybe not direct references. But we'll see. Hope it reviews well, wouldn't surprise me if it didn't. I'm still day one either way.

It is worth pointing out that SFV is currently sitting at 84 on metacritic. So while it is indeed lower than SFIV it is a far cry from the mid to low 70s some were predicting here. I think itll manage just fine.

Thats just imo of course. I think my high end of 500k is pretty generous. I'm thinking more in the 200k-300k range is more realistic

That is an extreme low ball prediction. Weren't people saying the same thing about Bloodborne last year and Street Fighter is considerably more popular than Souls games.

It is worth pointing out that SFV is currently sitting at 84 on metacritic. So while it is indeed lower than SFIV it is a far cry from the mid to low 70s some were predicting here. I think itll manage just fine.

Yeah the 70s predictions were ridiculous. The actual gameplay was too good to rate fighting game that low

Over 500k retail first NPD but it will be hard to top these 700k for PS4 MKX.

I believe SFV will sell more than MKX lefetime.

I think MKX is already over 5 million lifetime. It's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it. SFV will do comparable sales worldwide even without Xbox One though.

It will legitimately shock the living hell out of me if the game does 500k at this point. Nothing is impossible though I suppose

That is an extreme low ball prediction. Weren't people saying the same thing about Bloodborne last year and Street Fighter is considerably more popular than Souls games.

Its just not looking too low to me. Maybe it'll do a bit better than that

RexNovis

Banned
It will legitimately shock the living hell out of me if the game does 500k at this point. Nothing is impossible though I suppose

Seeing a mainline Street Fighter release under 500k would just be awful. Then again it is available on PC (a platform dominated by digital and therefore untracked by NPD) same day so I guess its possible. I dont know man anything under 450k would be horrible for an established franchise like Street Fighter. If it does fall under 500k that would be sad indeed.

demigod

I am a bit concerned about the potential performance or input lag issues that might create though. Dark Souls is one of those games where lower performance could truly break enjoyment of the game. Hopefully it will hold up well but it is a strong bonus for Souls fans to purchase DKS3 on Xbox. Should make things a bit more interesting when it comes to the software split.

I'm guessing a 65/35 split at least. Marketing won't do much, look at The Witcher 3.

Sterok

200-300K strikes me as a tad pessimistic for Street Fighter, minimal single player content or not. I mean, that's not a lot above what Fire Emblem seems to be projected to do, and in no way should Fire Emblem be comparable to Street Fighter.

I'm happy to eat some crow. :p Game unlocks in a little over 3 hours.

And in my defense, I don't think I've ever gotten anything right in the NPD threads.

RexNovis

Banned
I'm guessing a 65/35 split at least. Marketing won't do much, look at The Witcher 3.

Dont get me wrng I think it will still be in favor of PS4 by a hefty margin but back compat for Dark Souls on XB1 does make it a lot more attractive for souls fans than it was prior with the caveat, again, that performance or input lag issues don't rear their ugly heads.

Top Bottom