• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

chemicals said:
okay. I'm an xbox mark, and even I think that the difference b/w PS3 and 360 sales is pretty irrelevant. Remember that the PS3 price drop still has yet to place it in direct competition with the 360.. it's still over $100 more than the 360.. and the Wii sales don't surprise me. People are buying it that have never bought a console before.. it's a freaking monster.
You know, I remember a year ago che was saying about how the 360 was in a good place because when the PS3 launches it'd have to sell something like 200k units a month on top of the 360's sales to get back to an even field by the end of 2007.

And then the Wii went and did that when the year is barely half over.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Fuzzy said:
So what was the final ban count for this month's thread?
Three or four got banned for posting pictures. Two were banned for calling out mods. I'm sure countless others fell because of deranged betting scandels. But without graphs, these are only poor, miserable words.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
blazinglazers said:
So knowledgeable ones, seriously, how's this all going to pan out in ways we actually care about as gamers? Are we going to see games normally made for 360/PS3 get Wii ports? Is the 360s lead on the PS3 insurmountable at this point? Is the PS3 going to loose more exclusives? Will the 360 loose exclusives to the Wii? How's it going to shake out, and why should we care?

I'm being serious btw, I'm interested in where this is taking us [scared too maybe...]

I wouldn't be surprised if the only PS3 exclusives we see after this are MGS4 and FF XIII. Those and the few worked out lately such as UT3 and Haze (timed). Ports will continue to come to PS3 later than 360, if at all. Plus, if they do, the quality of them might suffer. Sony will have to truly depend on it's 1st party games, but that's what they've kind of been asking for I guess.

As for the Wii...well, I wouldn't be surprised if Japanese support really took off for it from the smaller devs. If not, the DS will continue to do so. Either way, it's money in Nintendo's pocket. If the Wii continues like this., SquareEnix would have absolutely no reason to bother with either PS3 or 360 outside of previous commitments.. Absolutely none. Zero. Zip. Nada.

In the West, who knows. Devs will continue on 360 where they sell a lot. Probably continue to phone it in on Wii then bitch about sales while Nintendo continues to whup ass. Either way, Nintendo does not give a fuck. :lol

blazinglazers said:
I'm being serious btw, I'm interested in where this is taking us [scared too maybe...]

I'm not labeling myself as a "knowledgeable one" but here's my prognosis. Wii Sports is the Killer App for the Wii. The casuals don't need another game other than that, and Wii Play is a nice compliment for the extra Wiimote. Sales will continue to bloom and will probably see a boost with WiiFit. However, the LONG TERM (3-5+ years) fate of the Wii remains unclear from a hardcore perspective. The only hardcore games that have made a big dent on the sales charts have been port-em-ups of games that were the BEST LAST GEN HAD TO OFFER. So, if 3rd party games have to be equivalent to a Zelda or RE4 in quality to sell, then that's not a good situation, since most devs just CAN NOT make games that good. GH3's sales for the Wii will indicate a lot, as well as Madden Wii, and FIFA Wii. Essentially, we still have to see if the big selling decent quality 3rd party titles can sell on the Wii. If they can't, then it doesn't matter how many Wiis are sold. They'll make a hell of a lot of money for Nintendo, but you won't see a significant shift to Wii development (at least not by Western devs).

The increase in 360 sales is directly attributable to NCAA. The correlation in sales makes this point obvious. The HD sales console has been chosen, and it's the 360. This will only become more true with Madden in August. Considering that Sports games are one of, if not THE, highest selling genre in the US, this is a great situation for MS. They've effectively captured the hardcore sport gamer. They've also captured the hardcore action/shooter gamer as well. There's the hardcore japanese gamer that they still need to capture, which they will this fall with Katamary and Ace Combat. And then the casual gamer which they won't capture this year, period. But the 360 Arcade and Scene it? Are decent starts. Still, they need a Killer App akin to Wii Sports, and that just isn't on the seeable horizon.

Sony's situation is concerning. If software doesn't sell on the PS3, then a PS3 port might stop making financial sense. However, that might affect games where only a PS3 + 360 version would make financial sense, therefore that game won't be made. This would be bad for everyone. And if the scenario laid out in paragraph 1 comes true (3rd party games don't sell on the Wii) then that'd be really really bad. What would probably happen is that the game would still be made for the HD consoles, it's just that the budget will be scaled back resulting in inferior quality. Therefore any hardcore gamer that enjoys great visuals should want both the 360 and PS3 to do well. Or at least one of them do EXTREMELY well. It seems that the 360 might have crossed the threshold that it can support almost any game, but we'll see. I mean 100K+ for Tenchu Z? Come on! In which case Sony just needs to make sure that they can ride the port trails until their big heavy hitters come out, and we'll see how that affects things.

Sony needs to do something this holiday season to have a chance at shifting market positions. Maybe Home really will be revolutionary? Or an MGS4 demo will be released that just totally blows everything away? Either way, if Sony doesn't do something big, then the PS3 is going to get slaughtered this holiday, and will relegate the PS3 to 3rd place for the foreseeable future.

Vyer

I think possibly the most significant numbers out of all of these are those NCAA numbers.

Moreso than the PS3<360, more than the Wii>DS...if the 360 establishes itself as the platform of choice for the Madden/NCAA/GTA/a few other games crowd, that bodes extremely well for it's place in this generation.

Err, the second place it seems, but still. :D

THOSE are some of the folks that actually apply to the 'PS2 gamers waiting to go to next gen' cliche that gets thrown around here sometimes. Madden/NCAA is just the thing to get those 'mainstream' players to make the jump.

The negative press/word of mouth around Madden PS3 certainly isn't going to help matters at all. That could be real bad for Sony.

Do you have to be under 12 to post here? What's with all the Sony hate? How many PS3s were they supposed to sell at $500, the sales went up 100%, that's bad? I noticed that NCAA sales were like a 2.4x ratio for 360 to PS3, with over a 4x install base. So I guess software does sell on the Ps3?

DaMan121

blazinglazers said:
Are we going to see games normally made for 360/PS3 get Wii ports?

360/ps3 Ports? Besides the EA sports stuff, not really. They cant reuse assets, most likely cant reuse physics engine nor AI routines. The only direct ports Wii will get are from ps2 games, and I suspect that will end this year - it was clearly a means for 3rd parties who had missed the boat, to get on the money train. What original 3rd party games will the Wii have? We wont find out this year thats for sure - XMas 2008 is 3rd party Wii D-Day. My gut feeling is that most 3rd parties don't even want the Wii / Nintendo to succeed - 3rd parties have prepared themselves for this gen with sophisticated graphics engines, physics engines, AI algorithms, high poly assets - none of which are applicable to the Wii.

Is the 360s lead on the PS3 insurmountable at this point?

Not yet, but XMas will decide.

Is the PS3 going to loose more exclusives?

Yes. You will still be able to play them on your ps3, you just wont have any bragging rights about exclusivity and its looking more and more likely you wont be able to brag about having the superior version.

Will the 360 loose exclusives to the Wii?

I really cant see any game aimed for the current 360 audience or the 360 hardware being diverted to the Wii.

Do you have to be under 12 to post here? What's with all the Sony hate? How many PS3s were they supposed to sell at $500, the sales went up 100%, that's bad?

According to Sony and many of agreed, they should have sold 5 million even without any games.

Borys

Banned
Vennt said:
No one said you'd get a free jab at disrespecting the administration, time out. (More to come if needed.)

Oh shit, Vennt's back.

The only mod that banned me for 3 months, YIKES.

Odysseus

Banned
Shrimpboat said:
Do you have to be under 12 to post here? What's with all the Sony hate? How many PS3s were they supposed to sell at $500, the sales went up 100%, that's bad? I noticed that NCAA sales were like a 2.4x ratio for 360 to PS3, with over a 4x install base. So I guess software does sell on the Ps3?

ps3 ncaa did well relatively speaking, yes. on that note, it would be nice to see total software dollars by platform to see how each userbase performed this month, but i'm not sure we can get such numbers under the current npd/neogaf structure.

AniHawk

Shrimpboat said:
No, not really.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
damn ds finally has some stiff competition, nintendo must be worried

Shrimpboat said:
He's right. Everyone is so quick to hate on Sony's current situation that something important is being ignored: What a shitty plan they had for the PS3 in the first place. Man, it's like everyone but them could see what a terrible idea that price was.

Segata Sanshiro said:
He's right. Everyone is so quick to hate on Sony's current situation that something important is being ignored: What a shitty plan they had for the PS3 in the first place. Man, it's like everyone but them could see what a terrible idea that price was.
think about the monies they could have made if every single console sold out, and think about what it must have felt like to think that you could have sold all the consoles.

Christine

TheKingsCrown said:
think about the monies they could have made if every single console sold out, and think about what it must have felt like to think that you could have sold all the consoles.

You've got a point. The payoff for a big win was massive beyond all description.

T Ghost

Omar Ismail said:
I'm not labeling myself as a "knowledgeable one" but here's my prognosis. Wii Sports is the Killer App for the Wii. The casuals don't need another game other than that, and Wii Play is a nice compliment for the extra Wiimote. Sales will continue to bloom and will probably see a boost with WiiFit. However, the LONG TERM (3-5+ years) fate of the Wii remains unclear from a hardcore perspective. The only hardcore games that have made a big dent on the sales charts have been port-em-ups of games that were the BEST LAST GEN HAD TO OFFER. So, if 3rd party games have to be equivalent to a Zelda or RE4 in quality to sell, then that's not a good situation, since most devs just CAN NOT make games that good. GH3's sales for the Wii will indicate a lot, as well as Madden Wii, and FIFA Wii. Essentially, we still have to see if the big selling decent quality 3rd party titles can sell on the Wii. If they can't, then it doesn't matter how many Wiis are sold. They'll make a hell of a lot of money for Nintendo, but you won't see a significant shift to Wii development (at least not by Western devs).

The increase in 360 sales is directly attributable to NCAA. The correlation in sales makes this point obvious. The HD sales console has been chosen, and it's the 360. This will only become more true with Madden in August. Considering that Sports games are one of, if not THE, highest selling genre in the US, this is a great situation for MS. They've effectively captured the hardcore sport gamer. They've also captured the hardcore action/shooter gamer as well. There's the hardcore japanese gamer that they still need to capture, which they will this fall with Katamary and Ace Combat. And then the casual gamer which they won't capture this year, period. But the 360 Arcade and Scene it? Are decent starts. Still, they need a Killer App akin to Wii Sports, and that just isn't on the seeable horizon.

Sony's situation is concerning. If software doesn't sell on the PS3, then a PS3 port might stop making financial sense. However, that might affect games where only a PS3 + 360 version would make financial sense, therefore that game won't be made. This would be bad for everyone. And if the scenario laid out in paragraph 1 comes true (3rd party games don't sell on the Wii) then that'd be really really bad. What would probably happen is that the game would still be made for the HD consoles, it's just that the budget will be scaled back resulting in inferior quality. Therefore any hardcore gamer that enjoys great visuals should want both the 360 and PS3 to do well. Or at least one of them do EXTREMELY well. It seems that the 360 might have crossed the threshold that it can support almost any game, but we'll see. I mean 100K+ for Tenchu Z? Come on! In which case Sony just needs to make sure that they can ride the port trails until their big heavy hitters come out, and we'll see how that affects things.

Sony needs to do something this holiday season to have a chance at shifting market positions. Maybe Home really will be revolutionary? Or an MGS4 demo will be released that just totally blows everything away? Either way, if Sony doesn't do something big, then the PS3 is going to get slaughtered this holiday, and will relegate the PS3 to 3rd place for the foreseeable future.

Excellent post dude!

I agree with everything but the impression that HD gaming is in trouble. Check the total software sales for HD games and Wii games and see that 3rds should stop boasting and chest pounding on how much creative they will be by developing exclusively for the Wii, starting whole divisions only for the fantastic Wiiwand factory and start delivering QUALITY games for the Wii or face HUGE losses on those "casual divisions" of theirs.

For 3rds it's either that or focus their resources and marketing on what's selling the best: good games for the 360. And looks like it doesn't even need to be that goodto be selling like hot cakes on the 360. like Tenchu shows.

Like I always said, on the Wii World only Nintendo is allowed to make serious money. How long will take for the 3rds to realize that fact is something that I'm really anxious to find out.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
FitzOfRage said:
How much software have they sold?

well, i'm just looking at it from a top 10 perspective, since that's obviously all that we have to go on at this point...

i just think that roughly 800 thousand buying a Nintendo system would and should push more software for them into the top 10 than what is in that list.

sonycowboy said:
Top 10 SKU's for July
360 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 1 397k
PS2 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S ACTIVISION (CORP) 2 339k
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 3 278k
PS2 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 4 236k
WII MARIO PARTY 8 NINTENDO OF AMERICA 5 177k
PS3 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 6 156k
NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7 144k
PS2 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION (CORP) 8 143k
PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR ACTIVISION (CORP) 9 138k
360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR ACTIVISION (CORP) 10 108k

July Hardware Figures
Wii 425 k
Nintendo DS 405 k
PlayStation 2 222k
PlayStation Portable 214k
Xbox 360 170k
PlayStation 3 159k
Game Boy Advance 87k

Oh yeah. Wii is absolutely a fad. Without doubts.

It's without doubts a phenomenon

VALIS

Shrimpboat said:

It's not that the PS3 numbers were terrible for July, it's that their main competitor outsold them in a month where things seemed stacked against that happening. All you heard were rosy reports on PS3 sales and nothing about 360 sales. PS3 had the price drop. 360 had RROD and warranties in the news. And the 360 still outsold it.

zoku88

Shrimpboat said:
Do you have to be under 12 to post here? What's with all the Sony hate?
Don't you know, anyone under 12 is a Sonic fanboy and therefore is mad as Sony for destroying the Dreamcast :lol

Don't worry, they'll stop liking Sonic once they turn 13...

Omar Ismail said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol 3rd parties can burn in hell and Nintendo will still continue to sell because of people like me. The Nintendo collective as whole do not give a flying f**k about 3rd parties, maybe when they learn to take notes from the trauma center teams, we might give them a chance

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
I for one look forward to the Wii future.

... where the console has its specs updated yearly similar to the ipod.

... where no one rushes out to buy the updates because there's no point!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
davepoobond said:
well, i'm just looking at it from a top 10 perspective, since that's obviously all that we have to go on at this point...

i just think that roughly 800 thousand buying a Nintendo system would and should push more software for them into the top 10 than what is in that list.

I won't speak for the wii, because it comes with a game, so i would imagine that's part of it. But the DS didn't really have any big releases last month, I think picross was one of the most memorable ones and that was a budget title. So the biggest software is of course pokemon D&P. I'd imagine pearl is in the top 20. The rest will be spread out over the library.

bill0527

norinrad21 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol 3rd parties can burn in hell and Nintendo will still continue to sell because of people like me. The Nintendo collective as whole do not give a flying f**k about 3rd parties, maybe when they learn to take notes from the trauma center teams, we might give them a chance

Well isn't it nice that its a 2-way street because apparently, 3rd parties don't really give a flying fuck about you either.

Crayon Shinchan said:
I for one look forward to the Wii future.

... where the console has its specs updated yearly similar to the ipod.

... where no one rushes out to buy the updates because there's no point!
So far Wii is the only one of the new systems to not change its specs and put a new sku on the market. Amusingly, they're the only ones that I wish would.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
bill0527 said:
Well isn't it nice that its a 2-way street because apparently, 3rd parties don't really give a flying fuck about you either.

Uh oh, looks like Mr. Kenison works for a shovelware thirdparty. How is the Cake Mania port for the Wii coming along?

Link316

Banned
T Ghost said:
Like I always said, on the Wii World only Nintendo is allowed to make serious money. How long will take for the 3rds to realize that fact is something that I'm really anxious to find out.

with the continued lack of support think most of them already realize that, even a company like Ubisoft who allegedly did well on the Wii already seems to have backed off, and EA's probably gonna realize it after their NCAA & Madden sales

Don't know if it's been brought up but Wii shipments for June was severely down compared to May. Both were in the 350K range but June was a 5 week month.

Nintendo could have simply shipped the Wii according to their own schedule as usual and NPD, with it's use of an erratic retail calender, simply could have counted Wiis on the wrong day in June and the right day in July. Not necessarily an increase in Wii production capacity.

.dmc

Banned
Omar Ismail said:
The only hardcore games that have made a big dent on the sales charts have been port-em-ups of games that were the BEST LAST GEN HAD TO OFFER. So, if 3rd party games have to be equivalent to a Zelda or RE4 in quality to sell, then that's not a good situation, since most devs just CAN NOT make games that good. GH3's sales for the Wii will indicate a lot, as well as Madden Wii, and FIFA Wii

The reason that Z:TP/RE4 sold well is that they're two of the best games on Wii, and it doesn't indicate that hardcore games have to be 'best-of-generation good' to sell, it just means that they need to be better than Shooter Of Duty: Attack of the PSP Assets.

As for the more mainstream, non-blockbuster titles, according to AniHawk GH3 pre-order are pretty bloody close to the 360s. The post I linked to is old, and I thnk a more recent update put 360 ahead, but GH3 isn't going to have any problem with sales. The fact that Tiger Wii outsold Tiger 360 worldwide (is there a source for that or am I repeating a GAF falsehood BTW?) bodes well for other EA titles suceeding financially on Wii as well.

It shouldn't need repeating, but lackluster 3rd party sales on Wii have everything to do with a lack of effort on the part of 3rd parties. When games get the development & marketing attention they deserve, they're going to sell well, as isolated cases (Red Steel/Rayman/RE4/Trauma Centre/Cooking Mama/Tiger Wii) already prove.

HandMeDownClown

Neo Member
T Ghost said:
That's not true at all. Third parties are already making quite a bit of money off of Wii (though not for good reasons--shovelware, mostly). Excellent efforts from third parties will sell as well on Wii as anywhere else; we just haven't seen many third parties put much effort into them yet. But we will. Devs are just being ridiculously slow to wise up.

angelfly

AlternativeUlster said:
Wowsers kids. It would be sort of funny if BluRay didn't even win the format war.

Blu-Ray could win but it would have nothing to do with PS3. First format with a $100 player at Walmat wins.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Segata Sanshiro said:
So far Wii is the only one of the new systems to not change its specs and put a new sku on the market. Amusingly, they're the only ones that I wish would.

I wish Nintendo had put out a sku without any game included. They had that for the NES.

Evlar

Banned
GreenGlowingGoo said:
I wish Nintendo had put out a sku without any game included. They had that for the NES.
They probably will eventually. Right now though Wii Sports is proving to be Game of the Generation (in terms of market impact).

Link

The Autumn Wind
T Ghost said:
Link316 said:
with the continued lack of support think most of them already realize that, even a company like Ubisoft who allegedly did well on the Wii already seems to have backed off, and EA's probably gonna realize it after their NCAA & Madden sales
Love the logic here, guys.

Maybe if third parties made more than just putrid shit for the Wii, they'd see decent sales. Amazingly enough, the one's that actually have made good games have seen good sales. Funny how that works.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
GreenGlowingGoo said:

I wish Nintendo had put out a sku with R.O.B. included so we could properly enjoy Gyromite VC if (when, I hope) it comes out. Also would increase the chances for a Stack-Up 2.

Top Bottom