• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

Aaron Strife said:
I think there will be a SKU with the balance board and one without it.

If the European retailer lists that first revealed the existence of Wii Fit Plus (along with a slew of accurate release dates) are correct, there will be two SKUs, one with the Balance Board and one without.

As Wii Fit+ seems to be a superset of Wii Fit, having two SKUs - one for owners of Wii Fit and one to essentially replace the Wii Fit bundle already on the market - is the best way forward, and I'd be very surprised if it didn't come to pass.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
bmf said:
Hopefully they'll be listed separately by NPD; I'd like to see the balance board vs PS3 chart continue.
Everything is listed separately by NPD. We just won't see those separate numbers in the data we are given for free.

Linkup

Kind of hard to discount WSR as a system seller right now when the wii has already had quite a few, yet none of them recent. In Japan DQ9 and MH3 kind of made things unclear. I don't think you can write it off just yet or at least I wouldn't.

Linkup said:
Kind of hard to discount WSR as a system seller right now when the wii has already had quite a few, yet none of them recent. In Japan DQ9 and MH3 kind of made things unclear. I don't think you can write it off just yet or at least I wouldn't.

System sellers like Halo3 and MGS4 to name a few this gen are certainly front loaded. You would think that if WSR was moving systems at all, the wii at the very least wouldn't have its worst sales month ever in the month that it was released....

Pureauthor said:
You are asking Nintendo to develop and release a game without Nintendo characters in it? What, like a 3rd party licensed brawler or...?

250px-Jump_Ultimate_Stars_boxart.jpg

Linkup

elrechazao said:
System sellers like Halo3 and MGS4 to name a few this gen are certainly front loaded. You would think that if WSR was moving systems at all, the wii at the very least wouldn't have its worst sales month ever in the month that it was released....

Wii's system sellers haven't really been front loaded.

elrechazao said:

Wii Sports was a system seller, and the best months for Wii were well after its launch.

Like I said before, Wii Sports Resort is almost certainly selling to people who already own a Wii. However, as we've seen with the Wii demographic, word of mouth among non-gaming-savvy consumers is huge, and results in a sustained, but delayed impact (also known as "long legs"). You will probably need to wait a month or two before the Wii owners who picked up Wii Sports Resort have enough time to show it to their friends or family members, who may not have a Wii yet but might be convinced by the Wii Sports Resort + Wii Fit + Tiger Woods or whatever other combo they're being exposed to. This will probably happen around family-gathering times, such as the holidays.

Of course WSR could just sell to current Wii owners but I don't think the sales patterns are going to be anything like MGS4 :lol

elrechazao said:
System sellers like Halo3 and MGS4 to name a few this gen are certainly front loaded.

I think it's pretty obvious that the wii and nintendo have very different sales patterns to everyone else so comparing like this is a bit silly.

I don't think WSR is really a system seller but i don't like your logic.

Also whilst in a way halo 3 was front loaded it is still showing good legs and i am certain that it is still selling consoles.

markatisu

elrechazao said:
Have they also coincided with severe drops in the wii's sales? Think about what you're saying here.

I will bookmark all your posts for 3 months from now and we shall see how things play out

AdventureRacing said:
I think it's pretty obvious that the wii and nintendo have very different sales patterns to everyone else so comparing like this is a bit silly.

I don't think WSR is really a system seller but i don't like your logic.

Also whilst in a way halo 3 was front loaded it is still showing good legs and i am certain that it is still selling consoles.

The point is that a system seller generally...moves systems? That seems to be a crazy concept to some people apparently.

The wii would certainly be an amazing system if we could call some of its games system sellers when the console takes a 40% dive in sales numbers when those games are released....

Christine

AdventureRacing said:

Halo 3 has shown good legs and indisputably continues to be a strong part of 360's value proposition. However, there are no qualifiers necessary or applicable to its "front loaded" status. It sold 3.8 million in its first week. There's absolutely no point in using it as any sort of comparison to form expectations for WSR's system selling ability.

elrechazao said:
The point is that a system seller generally...moves systems? That seems to be a crazy concept to some people apparently.

The wii would certainly be an amazing system if we could call some of its games system sellers when the console takes a 40% dive in sales numbers when those games are released....

We can't call WSR a system seller yet, but it cannot yet be said that it will not become a system seller. Unless it completely fizzles and bombs it will sell the vast majority of its copies well after its launch - why would it not be expected to show the vast majority of its system selling ability well after its launch?

TwinIonEngines said:
Halo 3 has shown good legs and indisputably continues to be a strong part of 360's value proposition. However, there are no qualifiers necessary or applicable to its "front loaded" status. It sold 3.8 million in its first week. There's absolutely no point in using it as any sort of comparison to form expectations for WSR's system selling ability.

Other than that we saw system sales spike when prior to and coinciding with its release. As I continue to say, even if you accept that the wii is different, system sellers as the term is generally understood by normal people do not coincide with unprecedented drops in system sales.

Halo 3 is a bad example because you all get caught up in whether the sales are frontloaded or not, which is irrelevant. It's about big system games and whether they apparently now cause DROPS in sales.

Christine

elrechazao said:
Halo 3 is a bad example because you all get caught up in whether the sales are frontloaded or not, which is irrelevant. It's about big system games and whether they apparently now cause DROPS in sales.

My entire point is that Halo 3 is a terrible example that you should not have used. And the sales pattern is certainly relevant - if you're not having a blowout launch and selling huge amounts of software in week 1 / month 1, there's no reason for there to be a huge effect on system sales in that period or the run-up.

Also, while WSR's launch coincides with a drop in Wii sales, claiming that the release of the game caused said drop is batshit fucking insane.

TwinIonEngines said:
My entire point is that Halo 3 is a terrible example that you should not have used. And the sales pattern is certainly relevant - if you're not having a blowout launch and selling huge amounts of software in week 1 / month 1, there's no reason for there to be a huge effect on system sales in that period or the run-up.

Also, while WSR's launch coincides with a drop in Wii sales, claiming that the release of the game caused said drop is batshit fucking insane.

god, apparently we're unfamiliar with the concept of sarcasm.

If you want to call a game a system seller when it arrives along with an unprecedented drop in system sales, I don't know what planet you are living on. Period.

So far it's a rebuttable presumption that WSR is not a system seller. All anyone has that disagrees with what I wrote above is that "it might be a system seller in the future". But you'll have to wait for your proof. I have mine, right now, irrefutable, that WSR is not thus far a system seller. If you disagree with that, you're wrong.

Christine

elrechazao said:
So far it's a rebuttable presumption that WSR is not a system seller.

I stated outright that WSR cannot currently be called a system seller. My argument in its entirety is that Halo 3 cannot tell us a damn thing about WSR's potential future system selling ability.

TwinIonEngines said:
I stated outright that WSR cannot currently be called a system seller. My argument in its entirety is that Halo 3 cannot tell us a damn thing about WSR's potential future system selling ability.

Halo 3 tells us nothing beyond the fact that system sellers actually sell systems. That was the only point of pointing it out if you read what I was replying to.

freddy

Banned
elrechazao said:
So far it's a rebuttable presumption that WSR is not a system seller. All anyone has that disagrees with what I wrote above is that "it might be a system seller in the future". But you'll have to wait for your proof. I have mine, right now, irrefutable, that WSR is not thus far a system seller. If you disagree with that, you're wrong.
Being right about something that's irrelevant in this case need not be mentioned at all.

Random person: "This boy will grow into a fine man one day"

You: "Bu..bu...he's not a man yet and you can't argue with me about that!!!"

Please...

freddy said:
Being right about something that's irrelevant in this case need not be mentioned at all.

Random person: "This boy will grow into a fine man one day"

You: "Bu..bu...he's not a man yet and you can't argue with me about that!!!"

Please...

Reading the last post in a conversation always gives you great insight, thanks for that.

freddy

Banned
elrechazao said:
Reading the last post in a conversation always gives you great insight, thanks for that.

Oh, I wasted my time reading all your all your posts. I think you have a hard time wrapping your head around games that continue to top the charts for months and even years and continue to drive sales of the system through word of mouth. That post I originally quoted of yours just showed how irrelevant your argument is and I thought I'd point that out to you.

Your welcome.

freddy said:
Oh, I wasted my time reading all your all your posts. I think you have a hard time wrapping you're head around games that continue to top the charts for months and even years and continue to drive sales of the system through word of mouth. That post I originally quoted of yours just showed how irrelevant your argument is and I thought I'd point that out to you.

Your welcome.

Congratulations on that non sequitur. I had no idea that there are dozens of games that sell at high rates for ages. For example, I clearly had never heard of games like mario kart ds from this very month's npd thread that no doubt contribute to those systems' sales.

/rolling eyes.

What about my welcome?

Christine

elrechazao said:
Halo 3 tells us nothing beyond the fact that system sellers actually sell systems. That was the only point of pointing it out if you read what I was replying to.

Talk about being in the moment. The post you replied was nothing more than a rejection of the idea that we can at this point say that WSR will not be a system seller.

laserbeam

Banned
“As for how Wii Sports Resort will affect Wii hardware sales, I hear it’s slightly driving the hardware sales, but not significantly. It has not doubled or tripled sales and I do not expect it to do so in the following weeks. We have developed some titles which sell well in the long term while driving hardware sales, starting with Brain Age.

These software have some things in common; they take six to eight weeks to start driving the hardware sales. We can not logically explain why they take exactly six or eight weeks. Almost every title has a very low hardware driving ratio right after its launch. After six or eight weeks from launch, if the title still maintains its sales momentum, its driving ratio starts to rise.” - Satoru Iwata

“In September, which people overseas call ‘back-to-school,’ people start to pay more attention to home consoles. If we can convey the appeal of Wii Sports Resort to existing customers then, it will surely contribute to the sales of hardware and generate good momentum toward the holiday season. So we feel that Wii Sports Resort will drive hardware sales mainly in Q3 from October to December. Last year, we had some internal discussions about the close launch period of Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit but we ended up launching them with the hypothesis that several major title launches in close proximity can produce a synergetic effect. As a result, it went very well. This year we hope to do well again as we will be launching three ten-million class titles consecutively, and would love to hear that ‘Holiday 2009 was the best one ever for Nintendo!’” - Satoru Iwata

freddy

Banned
elrechazao said:
Congratulations on that non sequitur. I had no idea that there are dozens of games that sell at high rates for ages. For example, I clearly had never heard of games like mario kart ds from this very month's npd thread that no doubt contribute to those systems' sales.

/rolling eyes.

What about my welcome?

You're welcome was what I meant, as you know.

I don't think I have much else to say to you. Good luck with whatever point you're trying to make.

markatisu

laserbeam said:
“As for how Wii Sports Resort will affect Wii hardware sales, I hear it’s slightly driving the hardware sales, but not significantly. It has not doubled or tripled sales and I do not expect it to do so in the following weeks. We have developed some titles which sell well in the long term while driving hardware sales, starting with Brain Age.

These software have some things in common; they take six to eight weeks to start driving the hardware sales. We can not logically explain why they take exactly six or eight weeks. Almost every title has a very low hardware driving ratio right after its launch. After six or eight weeks from launch, if the title still maintains its sales momentum, its driving ratio starts to rise.” - Satoru Iwata

“In September, which people overseas call ‘back-to-school,’ people start to pay more attention to home consoles. If we can convey the appeal of Wii Sports Resort to existing customers then, it will surely contribute to the sales of hardware and generate good momentum toward the holiday season. So we feel that Wii Sports Resort will drive hardware sales mainly in Q3 from October to December. Last year, we had some internal discussions about the close launch period of Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit but we ended up launching them with the hypothesis that several major title launches in close proximity can produce a synergetic effect. As a result, it went very well. This year we hope to do well again as we will be launching three ten-million class titles consecutively, and would love to hear that ‘Holiday 2009 was the best one ever for Nintendo!’” - Satoru Iwata

I posted that first half and was told that Nintendo does not know what is selling, maybe your post will have better luck :lol

I'm ready for next gen lol

Seriously, i think the industry needs a redbull, god it's so dead right now.

Sales this holiday are not going to be better than last year.

The Power Of Snap said:
I'm ready for next gen lol

Seriously, i think the industry needs a redbull, god it's so dead right now.

Sales this holiday are not going to be better than last year.
People are losing jobs and money and aren't buying enough video games.

I KNOW, LET'S RELEASE EXPENSIVE NEW SYSTEMS, THAT'LL BOOST SALES

Mindlog

Economy aside (yes I know I called this two years ago)

How many people believed the industry growth rates were sustainable?

laserbeam

Banned
Mindlog said:

Well the problem is there was no industry growth.

There was plenty of Nintendo Growth that covered up a weak and crippled industry.

What's more impressive than 7 out of the top 10 games this month are on Nintendo systems?

6 of the games on the top 10 list this month are games MADE by Nintendo.

total industry domination complete

Mindlog said:

I did. I also bet heavily on real estate in california arizona and florida with lots of adjustable rate loans.

donny2112

elrechazao said:
Have they also coincided with severe drops in the wii's sales?

1. This is the first one to release when the system is actually readily available for purchase.
  2. This is a four-week month with Wii Sports Resort releasing in the fourth week, so we don't have the granularity to say that the Wii's sales drop coincided with Wii Sports Resort's release.
  3. Iwata said that these types of games tend to show impact in hardware purchases in 6-8 weeks from launch.

To use another example, GTAIV increased the 360's sales the week it was released. We know this because Microsoft took it upon themselves to tell us this, since NPD only reported the monthly total. In NPD, 360's weekly sales went down the month of GTAIV's release. The NPD numbers did not reflect the increase that coincided with the game's release, but the increase existed, nonetheless.

In short, don't assume that Wii's sales went down the week of Wii Sports Resort's release.

laserbeam_from_Iwata said:
As for how Wii Sports Resort will affect Wii hardware sales, I hear it’s slightly driving the hardware sales, but not significantly.

Well, that settles that. Wii Sports Resort apparently slightly increased Wii hardware sales in its first week, after all. Thanks, laserbeam!

yurinka

Pureauthor said:
I'm at a loss here - how on earth can looking at PS3 sales in relation to console sales from previous generations come out as good for the PS3?
I was refering that PS3 already outsold in terms of LTD worldwide sales almost every console who wasn't the winner of the previous generations.

As I remember, Mega Drive / Genesis, Nintendo 64 and the original Xbox are the only non-winners of generation with better sales than PS3. I don't remember the numbers, but I think this year PS3 will surpass the original Xbox, if not already surpassed it in terms of shipped consoles.

So maybe in a year or so, only 360, Wii and the winner of the previous generations of consoles since NES will have more consoles sold than the PS3.

So, considering PS3 sales a failure also would mean to consider also a failure the sales of Master System, PC-Engine, NeoGeo, Saturn, Jaguar, GameCube, Dreamcast, ... and obviously portables like GameGear, Atari Lynx, WonderSwan, NeoGeoPocket, etc

And I don't consider all these consoles a failure.

yurinka said:
Master System, PC-Engine, NeoGeo, Saturn, Jaguar, GameCube, Dreamcast, ... and obviously portables like GameGear, Atari Lynx, WonderSwan, NeoGeoPocket, etc.

I wouldn't exactly call them winners, or want to model my console after many of those in any gen.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Column submitted. Bad news is no data from NPD before deadline. So if you haven't gotten any additional data points, I don't have any to add right now. That said, something may develop later.

I did my best with what I had.

yurinka

elrechazao said:
I wouldn't exactly call them winners, or want to model my console after many of those in any gen.
I'm not calling them winners. But I think many of them were great consoles that deserve respect even if they weren't winners of their respective generation.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
yurinka said:
So, considering PS3 sales a failure also would mean to consider also a failure the sales of Master System, PC-Engine, NeoGeo, Saturn, Jaguar, GameCube, Dreamcast, ... and obviously portables like GameGear, Atari Lynx, WonderSwan, NeoGeoPocket, etc

Most people would. But, whatever.

yurinka said:
I was refering that PS3 already outsold in terms of LTD worldwide sales almost every console who wasn't the winner of the previous generations.

As I remember, Mega Drive / Genesis, Nintendo 64 and the original Xbox are the only non-winners of generation with better sales than PS3. I don't remember the numbers, but I think this year PS3 will surpass the original Xbox, if not already surpassed it in terms of shipped consoles.

So maybe in a year or so, only 360, Wii and the winner of the previous generations of consoles since NES will have more consoles sold than the PS3.

You are not considering the rapid rise in development costs over time. It's pretty clear that the PS3 and 360 combined don't have a big enough install base to make developing HD games a profitable business overall.

yurinka said:
Well, it's worth pointing out that you are comparing the PS3 to some systems that came out when the games market was significantly smaller (such as the PC-Engine and the Master System). You're also ignoring the profitability of the systems.

Either way, though...on that list, you've got massive failure, failure in all regions but one, niche product that failed as a home console, failure big enough to nearly kill a hardware company, failure big enough to kill a hardware company, failure big enough to produce the only quarter of loss that Nintendo ever posted in their 100+ year history, failure big enough to kill a hardware company, minor failure, massive failure, failure, failure.

It's going to pass the Xbox soon... guess what, that system was another failure. And maybe maybe maybe with a little luck it can reach the N64... another failure (unless we consider profit which you obviously aren't).

So yeah, you want to sit there comparing the PS3 to systems that were definite failures (and that the likes of you would have had no trouble calling failures in that time and day), go right ahead. If it helps you sleep better at night thinking Mama Sony is alright and that Old PS3 doesn't have rabies and is in need of a hot lead injection, so be it.

yurinka said:

All those consoles are considered failures. Did you seriously just list Jaguar? WTF :lol

Anyway, right now 360 is ahead of Xbox, PS3 is ahead of Gamecube so... PS3 is considered a better than Gamecube success, 360 is a better than Xbox success. Neither means shit though when combined they are still behind Wii.

pulga

Banned
yurinka said:

My eyes are rolling from so much spin. spin spin spin.

Top Bottom