• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

Mudkips

Banned
lawblob said:
Wii is falling off a cliff. Casual "fad" fans are finally getting bored?

Simple price-point saturation.

Nintendo will ride out this holiday season with a bundle or two, maybe the black Wii, and then we'll see a price drop toward the end of the 1st quarter of next year.

Nintendo simply doesn't give a shit about month-to-month hardware sales anymore. It won. Nintendo MAKES money off of each Wii, a price drop is a bad move until sales tank in terms of raw numbers, not just in terms of year-over-year or month-to-month percentages.

FrankT

NCAA performing worse than last year may not bode well for Madden.

Slightly surprised by how close the 360 and Wii are at this point.

JKBii

LINK.AGE76 said:
Nintendo needs to bundle some games with the Wii or price drop or 360 beats it this fall.

I doubt that, I think the Wii is just coming closer to earth in this slow summer. The difference between the two might get smaller but nothing about the 360's trajectory suggests it's on the rise.

Barrett2

cjelly said:
Not bundling with WSR was a missed opportunity, IMO.

Eh? I can't imagine that people who have yet to buy a Wii would give a damn about an upgraded version of the game they have declined to purchase for the last three years.

Xeke

Banned
Jon_Danger said:
No, they need to drop the price now!!!

Iwata's giant pool full of gold coins is getting low.. It is prime gold-bathing season.

Don't worry. He still has the DS.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kandrick said:
:lol at people calling for a Wii price drop.

What is so funny?

At this rate they won't touch their shipment forecast and I guarantee you Nintendo cares about that.

Busaiku

Both the hardware and software is looking really bad.

On the hardware front, everything's down from last year (though 360's pretty much flat, but still very slightly down).
Last month was also quite bigger.

Besides Wii Sports Resort and NCAA, everything looks pretty meager.
Nintendo's titles don't seem all that bad though, given that they are at least a year old.
But still, the tenth place title being under 100k is definitely a very bad sign for the industry.

Wii Sports Resort also failed to move any hardware.
I definitely think it's time for Nintendo to change their fiscal outlook.

Lowest month for the Wii by a bit. The second lowest month was back in January 2008, due to shortages after Christmas. It only did 275k that month.

Barrett2

Grecco said:
Also no The Bigs 2 :( hopefully it didnt bomb like the first one.

I loved Bigs, but I thought Bigs 2 demo was absolute garbage, turned me off the game completely. I imagine that hurt a lot of their potential sales.

billy.sea

Banned
I said before that Wii Sports Resort will sell big but not be a system seller.

The first game is bundle for free with the Wii, why would anyone who want Wii Sports wait till the sequel (in which you have to pay for) to come out to get a Wii?

minx

Hmm who thinks when ODST releases the 360 will surpass the Wii? I'm not sure how big of an impact it will have, but it is HALO after all.

Mudkips

Banned
elrechazao said:
Remember alf? He's back! In pog form!
k4xslg.gif

Road

V_Arnold said:
Move away people, there is nothing to see here....

( Seeing the comparison with last year's numbers, it is interesting to see only 360 keeping itself at where it was, and PlayStation 3 / Wii falling by a big percentage...)
And it's completely unrelated the 360 is the only home console that had a price drop.

Umm, Wii hardware sales dropped off a cliff the same month they released Wii Sports Resort, arguably their biggest software of the year, and noone thinks this is a big deal?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Welcome to the dead of summer. Nintendo + EA software for the win? :lol

Arpharmd B said:
Umm, Wii hardware sales dropped off a cliff the same month they released Wii Sports Resort, arguably their biggest software of the year, and noone thinks this is a big deal?

No. It's not a system seller. It is a Wii Motion + seller.

meme

Banned
schuelma said:
What is so funny?

At this rate they won't touch their shipment forecast and I guarantee you Nintendo cares about that.

Do you think they'd permanently lower their profits just to meet their "pretty high* shipment forecast?

schuelma

Arpharmd B said:

They didn't drop off a cliff, but they did go down week to week. And plenty people have shown concern.

Dipswitch

Wii finally coming back down to earth. Pricecut time. 360 numbers aren't bad. PS3 is in the tank - Slim can't arrive soon enough. As for the DS......who the fuck is still buying these??!!

Cowie

A little confused by the gloom and doom in the nintendo camp..

'The wii is no longer absolutely fucking trouncing the competition! We're only ahead of the nearest competitor by 25%! The end is nigh!'

but I guess the fact that DS is still selling like a DS is what puts wii sales in perspective..

billy.sea

Banned
Interesting Fact:

Release Date
Mario Kart DS : November 14, 2005
New Super Mario Bros. : May 15, 2006
Today : August 13, 2009

schuelma

meme said:
Do you think they'd permanently lower their profits just to meet their "pretty high* shipment forecast?

I think if they have any expectation of meeting their investor's expectations then yes, they pretty much have to do a price cut or a bundle or something.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't see Nintendo dropping the price on the Wii until after Christmas. We already know that Christmas does more for Nintendo than for MS or Sony. We still haven't had a Christmas where the Wii has been widely available. If Nintendo is stockpiling their systems, we might have one of the best selling holiday seasons for the system.

I think Nintendo will keep it at $250 until maybe February or March.

Xeke

Banned
Arpharmd B said:

Not even close. Wii Sports Resort sells to people who already have Wii Sports. NSMB will push mad systems this fall I believe.

donny2112

meme said:

Yes. Meeting forecasts > higher profits later, for the stockholder. They need to know they can trust the forecast numbers that the company gives.

Mario Kart DS and NSMB are absolute monsters :O

Also, the Wii better pick up its game if my prediction of Wii > PS360 before the end of 2009 is to bear out. It's already happened worldwide, but NA is stubbornly refusing to line up with my expectations.

Talamius

A morbid thought: If we've been sustaining the industry situation with "Well, at least Nintendo is kicking ass", what do we say now? At the risk of doom and gloom, I don't think the industry is sustainable as is with sub 100k sales being top 10 material, especially on the HD side.

Frillen

ZealousD said:
I don't see Nintendo dropping the price on the Wii until after Christmas. We already know that Christmas does more for Nintendo than for MS or Sony. We still haven't had a Christmas where the Wii has been widely available.

I think Nintendo will keep it at $250 until maybe February or March.

I agree, you won't see a price cut this year.

pgtl_10

The recession has finally caught up with the game industry. Nintend Wii and music games will get hurt the most because they rely on the less dedicated gamer to sell their product.

meme

Banned
donny2112 said:
Yes. Meeting forecasts > higher profits later, for the stockholder. They need to know they can trust the forecast numbers that the company gives.

But they still have some ways to increase demand without lowering the prices. This wouldn't be their first choice.

Yeah, retail is brutal as fuck. Hardware, software, all of it. I think that Sony's going to find that their losses incurred on a lower-priced system, even with a possible lower cost model on the market, will prove to be a problem with the diminishing returns involved as even $299 is a tough sell for the forseeable future. Pretty convinced that this year will end up being down and not flat compared to last year...a definite show of weakness in the market.

Owzers

Xeke said:
Not even close. Wii Sports Resort sells to people who already have Wii Sports. NSMB will push mad systems this fall I believe.

So Wii sports resort sells to every single Wii owner in the U.S.

EviLore said:
Data care of NPD Group

PlayStation 2 108K
PlayStation 3 121.8K
PSP 122.8K
Xbox 360 202.9K
Wii 252.5K
Nintendo DS 538.9K

Wii SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII) 508.2K
NCAA FOOTBALL 10 (360) 376.5K
NCAA FOOTBALL 10 (PS3) 237.4K
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD* (WII) 164.3K
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL (WII) 156.6K
MARIO KART DS (NDS) 132.2K
POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION (NDS) 116.4K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 (360) 116.4K
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS (NDS) 101.8K
EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE (WII) 96.8K

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

---------------------

PS3 numbers slightly below what was commonly predicted, pretty poor month for sure

360...$199 is the hot price-point

Those Wii numbers are pretty shocking too....Nintendo cannot be happy about those at all

I actually thought maybe the follow up to the biggest selling game of all-time could outsell NCAA '10
yes, a slight troll there....but c'mon...really

Xeke

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
So Wii sports resort sells to every single Wii owner in the U.S.

Yeah, so there is no reason that it would push any hardware sales because its main audience already owns a Wii.

Top Bottom