• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Hydrargyrus

If after the May decrease because of the price reduction/new sku, is unable to beat PS4 in sales during June (with the consecutive sales boost), July-August-September is going to be a completely bloodbath.

Probably Xbox numbers will go down (I don't know how much) and probably PS4 numbers will go up with TLOU:R, Diablo and Destiny

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Digital sales ratio for some 3DS titles:

(First month of sales)

Code:
Digital sales

[3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening - 63,000 (35%)
[3DS] Tomodachi Life - 37,000 (21%)
[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 103,000 (20%)
[3DS] Bravely Default - 35,000-40,000 (18-20%) 
[3DS] Yoshi's New Island - 31,000 (19%)

Didn't know Yoshi's New Island was that (relatively) high as well O__O

Are Nintendo customers becoming more used to buy games digitally, as time passes? 3 of the 5 titles here have been released this year.

mo60

Nah.

70-80m is way too pessimistic for the console that is poised to be the number one leading brand. That is like apocalyptic for the industry if that happens, unless for some miracle WiiU or Xbox One is picking up that slack and reverse its course in a manner of which has never been seen before ever in the history of videogames.

I can see the PS4 selling 90million-95million(maybe a couple of million higher) by the end of the gen most likely because of the big gen on gen decrease of the PS brand in Japan and maybe some of the other Asian countries.The PS4 will do really well in America and Europe anyway, but I do not think it will make it easier for the PS4 to sell 100 million by the end of the gen.

PS3 is currently at 10 million in japan. PS4 "only managing 6 million" in japan would not be a catastrophe, it would be a fucking miracle. Also PS3 is only at about 80 million after 8 years, so that's not the console you should be comparing it to if you're speculating about a 100M LTD

To be fair the PS4 has only been out in Japan for 5 months, let's first see how much the big hitters can do for the PS4.

I am not comparing PS4 to PS3 for the 100M LTD.

Difference between PS4 and Xbone in USA right now is little over than 650k. PS4 will increase lead in August, September and October, even possibly managing to create 1 million of buffer space if Destiny sales get high PS4 ratio in October.

If MS wins in one month by 100k, that will not make any difference [same as December 2013]. Momentum is in PS4's side, we dont know how Master Chief will perform, and in any case, PS4 will expand its lead quickly after that with two very important Q1 2015 exclusive games (Bloodbourne and Order 1886).

Ooops, I was using numbers before this months differences. My bad.

...So XB1 has even less chances of winning than what I was saying? Why would anyone think XB1 could possible win anymore geez. If this kind of pressure is on MCC, it will certainly viewed as a failure of sorts, since it cannot beat PS4. Just look at Titanfall. Million selling new IP, yet it is found surprisingly disappointing for some people since it didnt help beat PS4.

Of course this all could go wrong, if XB1 wins in a lottery aka gains some new IP that would cause it magically beat PS4. But thats just dum.

AniHawk

Nah.

70-80m is way too pessimistic for the console that is poised to be the number one leading brand. That is like apocalyptic for the industry if that happens, unless for some miracle WiiU or Xbox One is picking up that slack and reverse its course in a manner of which has never been seen before ever in the history of videogames.

i just don't know who is supposed to feed into the console market. there are only so many 18-34 males around. the ps3 and the 360 are not the ps2 either- those platforms were already fading fast last year and pretty much gone this year. any boost any system gets from late-gen buyers will be minimal.

i know a lot of blame is placed on mobile, and while i believe a large portion of the market was eaten up by those devices, i think the pc and steam is becoming the what mobile gaming is for handhelds, except for console games.

I can see the PS4 selling 90million-95million(maybe a couple of million higher) by the end of the gen most likely because of the big gen on gen decrease of the PS brand in Japan and maybe some of the other Asian countries.The PS4 will do really well in America and Europe anyway, but I do not think it will make it easier for the PS4 to sell 100 million by the end of the gen.

People are very doom and gloom, sure there is a decline in Japan, but Japan is just one country. We have come off the best selling generation EVER (85 for the twins and 100m for the Wii), yea sure there is the Wii factor and as I have said earlier is a bit of an anomaly that is not going to be repeated.

But think about it, 170m for the twins in itself is a very very impressive feat. Console markets has been growing in the UK, the mediterranean countries and what about the economic rise of the eastern European countries (we have studios now in those countries, 5 years ago it was barren) and sure you can speculate all you want about China, but both Sony and MS aren't stupid to start building their presences there.

Bruno MB

Didn't know Yoshi's New Island was that (relatively) high as well O__O

Are Nintendo customers becoming more used to buy games digitally, as time passes? 3 of the 5 titles here have been released this year.

Sorry, forget about that Yoshi's New Island figure, I mistook the hardware bundles for its digital sales. In fact, Nintendo didn't give sales data for this title.

I feel like if I had phrased it "average PS4 sales" instead of mediocre (even though they mean the same thing) you would not be riled up.
I'm not riled up at all, since I'm also well aware the word mediocre is not exactly a negative connotation. :)
I just think that a single months' figure doesn't mean much without the context of how it compares to the past, and also how it compares to the immediate competition.

mo60

People are very doom and gloom, sure there is a decline in Japan, but Japan is just one country. We have come off the best selling generation EVER (85 for the twins and 100m for the Wii), yea sure there is the Wii factor and as I have said earlier is a bit of an anomaly that is not going to be repeated.

But think about it, 170m for the twins in itself is a very very impressive feat. Console markets has been growing in the UK, the mediterranean countries and what about the economic rise of the eastern European countries (we have studios now in those countries, 5 years ago it was barren) and sure you can speculate all you want about China, but both Sony and MS aren't stupid to start building their presences there.

No console has sold over 100 million without selling at least 10 million or a number near 10 million in Japan. I don;t think the ps4 will even sell under 90 million, but if the console sells more like the PS1 mostly everywere else besides Japan I think it will be a bit harder for the ps4 to get anywere near 100 million by the end of this gen. I really do not know how much the ps4 will sell in the rest of the world, but I don't think it will be significantly better than the numbers the ps3 pulled in the rest of the world. I think PS+ to an extent will be a barrier for the PS4 to sell well in some countries since some features like online play require owners to pay money to access them in these countries even if they have the infrastructure to support the internet. So potential ps owners may use cheaper options to play games with their freinds and by themselves.It won;t be as big as a barrier as xbox360's xbox live was for the majority of the last gen but it's a factor to keep in mind when making PS4 related predictions. .

Principate

Saint Titanfall
How is it mediocre?

Last two generations biggest consoles were selling over 300k at the same point in time. it's fairly mediocre.

see this post

First June for major home console

PS2 - 343,000
Xbox - 265,000 (month after the price drop, from $299 to $199)
Gamecube - 213,000 (month of the price drop, from $199 to $149)

Xbox 360 - 277,000
PS3 - 99,000
Wii - 382,000

PS4 - 269,000
Xbox One - 197,000
Wii U - 42,000

How long PS2 shortages lasted? Was difficult to find even during June 2001? Was the same for 360 in June 2006?

It must be also noted PS4 is will be entering China too. The US gain will be vital imo in its ability to do 100m+ as well the sales in Other countries. Thats where the PS4 has the potential to make its gains.

Yes should be interesting to see how consoles will do there. I doubt anyone here care but both Sony and MS will attend this year Chinajoy (China biggest game expo) and will show games there

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=121247545&highlight=chinajoy#post121247545

This show me that the hardware manufactures are at least kinda serious about the market there.

imo, the new market realities in japan are going to seriously hinder the PS4's run to 100mil.

Let say PS4 sells nothing in Japan that is still 150 million users that PS3 and 360 sold together that PS4 could steal from .
Even if the market gets smaller it still possible.

Last two generations biggest consoles were selling over 300k at the same point in time. it's fairly mediocre.

see this post

Last 2 leading systems did not jump out the gate like PS4 did which is why context matters .
When streams cross for both PS2 and Wii it should give us a better idea of what happening .

People underestimate just how much Sony's expansion into emerging markets boosted the PS3 and in turn will boost the PS4 at the tail end of this generation. I can confidently say that the PS4 will be over 100 million shipped by the end of 2023. Whether I'm here then to gloat is another matter. :p

i just don't know who is supposed to feed into the console market. there are only so many 18-34 males around. the ps3 and the 360 are not the ps2 either- those platforms were already fading fast last year and pretty much gone this year. any boost any system gets from late-gen buyers will be minimal.

i know a lot of blame is placed on mobile, and while i believe a large portion of the market was eaten up by those devices, i think the pc and steam is becoming the what mobile gaming is for handhelds, except for console games.

I wonder what portion of the demographic playing games like LoL and Dota 2 would have been on consoles in previous generations.

Average and Mediocre do not have the same meaning.

Mediocre has an alternate meaning of poor/inferior, and even dictionaries which define mediocre as average or ordinary note that mediocre implies a derogatory version of average, as opposed to a neutral version.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Let say PS4 sells nothing in Japan that is still 150 million users that PS3 and 360 sold together that PS4 could steal from .
Even if the market gets smaller it still possible.

Last 2 leading systems did not jump out the gate like PS4 did which is why context matters .
When streams cross for both PS2 and Wii it should give us a better idea of what happening .

Well year but it was always kind of assumed this generation would be more front loaded than previous, I mean it's true for many aspects of video game media. The question was always how it would sell after the initial sales. Christmas is basically the next big test.

IvorB

PS4 still top even with MS ditching Kinect. Wow. They must be popping that champagne at Sony right now. Are there any 180's left to try?

Well year but it was always kind of assumed this generation would be more front loaded than previous, I mean it's true for many aspects of video game media. The question was always how it would sell after the initial sales. Christmas is basically the next big test.

I don't think it was assumed this gen was going to be the more front loaded at least not like this .
I remember some people saying that current gen consoles might not even sell or do much worst than they doing right now.

What?!?

npd_home_201406zxql1.png

Looks alright for both the PS4 and xbox1.

The only problem is the xbox1 has had free game pack-ins, unofficial price drops, arguably biggest exclusive of the year (Titanfall) in a popular genre pack-in, and most recently a "relaunched" price parity SKU. I think MS should have spread out the incentives, but I guess new management wanted to make a mark quickly.

Whereas PS4 just PS4'd.

GamerJM

Banned
70-80m is way too pessimistic for the console that is poised to be the number one leading brand. That is like apocalyptic for the industry if that happens

I think that's his point. None of the consoles right now are marketing the entire demographic consisting of "people who play video games," well right now, the PS4/Xbox One are too expensive to develop and make games for and marketed entirely towards young adult males, the Wii U only really appeals to Nintendo fans and there is little reason for third-parties to jump on board. PS4 will do well because it captures the young adult market well. Either the entire industry is going to decline or the entire console landscape is going to have to change.

Unless we're completely wrong and the PS4 just does bonkers and ends up appealing to a wide audience.

PS4 still top even with MS ditching Kinect. Wow. They must be popping that champagne at Sony right now. Are there any 180's left to try?

Sell the weaker system for less than the more powerful one? I only bought my Xbone recently because I got it for $220. Obviously they can't go that low on the price, but I think $350 would be a good price to compete.

beril

To be fair the PS4 has only been out in Japan for 5 months, let's first see how much the big hitters can do for the PS4.

That's going to be a long wait. Is there even a single moderately big release this year in Japan, or anything likely to be released in the first half of 2015?

dr guildo

see this post

You seem to forget two details and not the least in your conclusion :

1 - How old were the last two generations biggest consoles at their first June month?
2 - How much did they cost ?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You seem to forget two details and not the least in your conclusion :

1 - How old were the last two generations biggest consoles at their first June month?
2 - How much did they cost ?

You also have to take into account inflation and this is their first June in regards to both so roughly the same age. The Xbox 360 was also beating it at that point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Right -- not yet, because only a few avenues for said consumption yet exist. That part I'm not arguing with. There's certainly reason to expect that people will want to play games on their TVs from their tablets and Amazon Fires and whatever else comes along down the line, though. I'm saying people who can't see how iPads and iTVs and Android devices can start encroaching on the living room are being profoundly unimaginative.

wouldn't there be at least some upsell as well? I.e people getting into gaming via smartphones and tablets that wouldn't normally buy a console, and then buying a console because they want even more? So smartphones being an on-ramp for consoles.

That's going to be a long wait. Is there even a single moderately big release this year in Japan, or anything likely to be released in the first half of 2015?

Funnily enough PS4's biggest games in Japan this holiday are GTA V (if it comes there in time) and COD AW.

GTA and COD are notably big in Japan though the former doing already 750k on PS3 may effect the PS4 SKU.

First half of 2015 has Bloodborne which Sony are pushing in Japan for now.

DieH@rd

Banned
Ooops, I was using numbers before this months differences. My bad.

...So XB1 has even less chances of winning than what I was saying? Why would anyone think XB1 could possible win anymore geez. If this kind of pressure is on MCC, it will certainly viewed as a failure of sorts, since it cannot beat PS4. Just look at Titanfall. Million selling new IP, yet it is found surprisingly disappointing for some people since it didnt help beat PS4.

Of course this all could go wrong, if XB1 wins in a lottery aka gains some new IP that would cause it magically beat PS4. But thats just dum.

And situation in NA is great when compared how PS4 is slaughtering Xbone in the rest of the world. MS can use few heavily US-centric franchises [Halo and Gears] to bring back user base in their home country, but that wont help them in the worldwide battle.

Elios83

It's selling less than the console that was number 2 at that point last generation. if that's not mediocre then standards have lowered. Of course it's not doing mediocre overall but this month was very much so.

You should also consider that the market has changed and it is supporting way more platforms than in the past including tablets/smartphones and PC gaming that back then was struggling in the meantime got some kind of renaissance.
Also next gen sales are being hold back tremendously by the lack of new games and next gen titles in general. Not many people are willing to buy new consoles to play the same PS3/360 games in 1080p/60fps (and the XboxOne can't even deliver that :p) and I'd add that the admission price is not cheap, 400$ (or 500$ for the XB1 until May) is not cheap considering the alternatives and the lackluster lineup.
The real test for growth will be next year.

m@cross

Retweeted by Paul Rustchynsky
shinobi602 @shinobi602 · 7h
June NPD results: XB1 did 197k in NA after dropping price by $100. PS4 did 269k. #3 is 3DS with 152k via @Wollan

whip me if old

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
First June for major home console

PS2 - 343,000
Xbox - 265,000 (month after the price drop, from $299 to $199)
Gamecube - 213,000 (month of the price drop, from $199 to $149)

Xbox 360 - 277,000
PS3 - 99,000
Wii - 382,000

PS4 - 269,000
Xbox One - 197,000
Wii U - 42,000

How long PS2 shortages lasted? Was difficult to find even during June 2001? Was the same for 360 in June 2006?

Quoting myself due to comparison reasons, since this is the first July for main home consoles

PS2 - 352,000
Xbox - 154,000
Gamecube - 138,000

Xbox 360 - 206,000
PS3 - 159,000 (60 gig price cut month, from $599 to $499)
Wii - 425,000

PS4 - ?
Xbox One - ?
Wii U - 29,000

Later, I'll post the prospect for June-to-July.

see this post
I don't think the sales of the very dominant PS2 or the Wii should be used as a reference to call something mediocre.

200k-250k are ok sales for this time of the year.

see this post

Wii was an anomaly with non-gamer appeal. PS2 is the best selling console ever. They were 250 and 300 bucks with near immediate market adoption. PS2 introduced DVD to the world which was real hype after VHS. Hard to top these 2. PS4 selling as much as the Xbox 360(which had a 100USD cheaper SKU) is good. People are actually surprised it even managed 270k considering its lackluster library at the moment.

m@cross

Quoting myself due to comparison reasons, since this is the first July for main home consoles

PS2 - 352,000
Xbox - 154,000
Gamecube - 138,000

Xbox 360 - 206,000
PS3 - 159,000 (60 gig price cut month, from $599 to $499)
Wii - 425,000

PS4 - 269,000
Xbox One - 197,000

Wii U - 29,000

Later, I'll post the prospect for June-to-July.

as per Erlend Wollan

No console has sold over 100 million without selling at least 10 million or a number near 10 million in Japan. I don;t think the ps4 will even sell under 90 million, but if the console sells more like the PS1 mostly everywere else besides Japan I think it will be a bit harder for the ps4 to get anywere near 100 million by the end of this gen. I really do not know how much the ps4 will sell in the rest of the world, but I don't think it will be significantly better than the numbers the ps3 pulled in the rest of the world. I think PS+ to an extent will be a barrier for the PS4 to sell well in some countries since some features like online play require owners to pay money to access them in these countries even if they have the infrastructure to support the internet. So potential ps owners may use cheaper options to play games with their freinds and by themselves.It won;t be as big as a barrier as xbox360's xbox live was for the majority of the last gen but it's a factor to keep in mind when making PS4 related predictions. .

I know what the arguments are (it keeps getting repeated), my argument is that Japan is probably going to be countered by ways of the Euro countries and Russia. There is also a massive boom in videogaming in general in Russia, sure it is PC and f2p dominated and piracy is rampant, but gaming is going to be huge in 2015 (I mean HUGE) and the consoles are going to benefit from it, since the young adult russian will be curious of gaming in general. Japan is a big deal yes, but so are these countries and in time they will overtake Japan, like the UK did.

http://rbth.com/articles/2012/07/11/russias_video_game_market_to_top_15_billion_by_2015_16295.html

Top Bottom