• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2018

iconmaster

Banned

Top 20 games by dollar sales
  1. Mario Tennis Aces*
  2. God of War 2018
  3. Grand Theft Auto V
  4. The Crew 2
  5. Far Cry 5
  6. Mario Kart 8*
  7. LEGO Incredibles
  8. FIFA 18**
  9. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  10. Detroit: Become Human
  11. Super Mario Odyssey*
  12. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  13. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  14. NBA 2K18
  15. Call of Duty: WWII
  16. MLB 18: The Show
  17. Assassin’s Creed: Origins
  18. Vampyr*
  19. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze*
  20. State of Decay 2
*No digital sales included
**No PC digital sales included

Kind of a bizarre month. Top console for the month was... the NES Classic.

Edit: If you're (understandably) wondering about the best-selling console not including the NES Classic, sounds like it's the PS4 --

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Strange to see Mario Tennis Aces at the top.

Considering that Nintendo games always have extremely high attachment rates since most people buy those systems for said games, I find this normal since it is revenues based.

What I find strange is them counting those classic minis as (traditional) "consoles" since you technically can't interchange games outside of homebrew.

To me it's kind of like adding Raspberries or Fire Sticks to that spot.

Considering that Nintendo games always have extremely high attachment rates since most people buy those systems for said games, I find this normal since it is revenues based.

What I find strange is them counting those classic minis as (traditional) "consoles" since you technically can't interchange games outside of homebrew.

To me it's kind of like adding Raspberries or Fire Sticks to that spot.
IN terms of the guts of the thing, you and I know it's just a little mini-PC like the Pi or whatever.

But to the public, the NES and SNES Classics are more akin to those crappy "30 games in One" console-to-TV consoles. Except for the fact that these ones are top-quality with a clean UI, Nintendo's official seal of approval, and some legendary games. They don't see it as "just a Pi in a nice plastic shell" because they don't know what a Pi is. "Oh, cute little Nintendo on the Wal-Mart shelf! I'll buy that".

I'll never own one unless someone randomly bought me one because those architectures are actually terrible for retro emulation.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
IN terms of the guts of the thing, you and I know it's just a little mini-PC like the Pi or whatever.

But to the public, the NES and SNES Classics are more akin to those crappy "30 games in One" console-to-TV consoles. Except for the fact that these ones are top-quality with a clean UI, Nintendo's official seal of approval, and some legendary games. They don't see it as "just a Pi in a nice plastic shell" because they don't know what a Pi is. "Oh, cute little Nintendo on the Wal-Mart shelf! I'll buy that".

I'll never own one unless someone randomly bought me one because those architectures are actually terrible for retro emulation.

I can understand this, but the reason most gamers flock to NPD threads was just to see what the big three's main consoles are doing every month. So much so, where Mat is starting to do these videos for that gaming audience.

So fine, include that "novelty console", but at least let everybody know what the main ones are doing, which was the entire draw in the first place to these threads.

Last edited:
I can understand this, but the reason most gamers flock to NPD threads was just to see what the big three's main consoles are doing every month. So much so, where Mat is starting to do these videos for that gaming audience.

So fine, include that "novelty console", but at least let everybody know what the main ones are doing, which was the entire draw in the first place to these threads.
Y'know, I remember this being a phenomenon with the Wii. "Okay, we get it, the Wii sold 4 million this month. Can we get back to the sales numbers between PS3 and 360?" NPD threads were more about Sony vs Microsoft and Nintendo was just "the winner, but only technically". DS was treated the same way, sales-wise. When the Wii U and 3DS were doing much poorer in sales, Nintendo was the butt of the joke in NPD threads but that was never taken seriously, either

I think Nintendo's blue-ocean dominance is fascinating, but I can understand wanting to follow the more hardcore "console war" competition between Microsoft and Sony.

I neither agree nor disagree with your reasonings for people flocking to NPD threads. I just find it interesting in light of the above.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Y'know, I remember this being a phenomenon with the Wii. "Okay, we get it, the Wii sold 4 million this month. Can we get back to the sales numbers between PS3 and 360?" NPD threads were more about Sony vs Microsoft and Nintendo was just "the winner, but only technically". DS was treated the same way, sales-wise. When the Wii U and 3DS were doing much poorer in sales, Nintendo was the butt of the joke in NPD threads but that was never taken seriously, either

I think Nintendo's blue-ocean dominance is fascinating, but I can understand wanting to follow the more hardcore "console war" competition between Microsoft and Sony.

I neither agree nor disagree with your reasonings for people flocking to NPD threads. I just find it interesting in light of the above.

I can't argue with that, I do however think people are genuinely interested in the Switch now with the other two.

iconmaster

Banned
The NES Classic thing is just a kinda-funny tidbit. We don't have to discuss it overmuch, though I'm not sure we got a second place by unit sales.

Edit: It sounded like it was the PS4, and I guess this is the confirmation of that --

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Those GOW legs...... Kratos did not skip leg day. God of legs and Detroit become legs are really fascinating to see for SP games. GTA is just a phenomenon, and I still have not bought it, even on last generation consoles.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
PS4 is a beast. Don't know whats going to stop it. Nintendo had a few months at the top but PS4 took back the crown.

Mario Tennis match set and point. A bit surprised in a way. The reception seemed a bit negative and I remember a lot of people being very meh that this is Nintendo's big summer game. Looks like its paying off though.

And LOL at NES classic. Wait for the SNES re release and I bet it tops the charts. If you want to know why you won't see a VC while here is probably one of the top reasons. Nintnedo can sell a 5$ SOC for 70-80$ and people will eat them up.

MS is going to have to really capture gamers attention next gen. Gamepass, XBOX One X and they still are sitting in third place.

I can't argue with that, I do however think people are genuinely interested in the Switch now with the other two.
Switch is Gen 9, though, which is kind of a tough pill to swallow. People perceive it as "what the Wii U should've been", so they almost dismiss the fact that Wii U is Nintendo's current gen system. When PS5 and X2 launch in 2020 (or whenever; I predict 2021 or later) do you think people will be saying "Okay, let's see how these other 9th gen systems can compete with Switch"?

cryptoadam

Banned
Got a feeling Black Friday will be crazy for Microsoft this year.

They always have a crazy Black Friday, but overall they will finish 3rd this gen and got totally killed by Sony. Both the X and Gamepass seemed like great ideas that would draw in the masses but it hasn't pushed them ahead of their 2 competitors.

If MS is happy to play second fiddle to the PS5 then they are find, if not they need to really come up with something big next gen.

MoogleMan

That's awesome how good tennis aces is doing. I love that game. and its success means we're more likely to get more mario sports titles. :)
And god of war is still amazing. Every sale well deserved.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Where did you get that from in this thread? All I seen was that Xbox made almost 2X more money than it did last year at this time.

Well HW revenue is is 2x, it makes sense when they have a $500 console this year and they did not last year. The question is do they break even at $500?

Does Sony break even on a $399 console? Neither make profit on the hardware, it's all software and services.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Does Sony break even on a $399 console? Neither make profit on the hardware, it's all software and services.

Depends. One year longer to price reduce. 10% smaller GPU, 4GB GDDR less memory, no UHD drive.

Mario Tennis? Wow, people actually buy it in the US? Or is it just the effect of a pretty dead summer month?
If they release a Nintendo World Cup game though.... Something Nintedo-ish, but harking back to the simpler FIFAs, like 98, and with a lot of characters/teams, cross-Nintendo-franchises. Like Smash for football (or what ya 'Muricans call 'soccer').

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

People won't DM you as much if you were more transparent with information, lol.

You clearly want gamer's attention now that you're diving into that realm, and hanging out on RE, but you're still using stock holder speak to them, which most aren't interested in.

Welcome to gaming, Mat. But somehow I know he knows this. ;)

Last edited:
The fact that the NES Classic is still selling so well should be an indicator of the market's hunger for retro stuff. Nintendo, amp up production and you'll keep getting sales. Stop with this "we'll make another batch one of these days..."

People won't DM you as much if you were more transparent with information, lol.

You clearly want gamer's attention now that you're diving into that realm, and hanging out on RE, but you're still using stock holder speak to them, which most aren't interested in.

Welcome to gaming, Mat. But somehow I know he knows this. ;)

Wasn't he on GAF as well?

octiny

Banned
"Xbox One HW dollar sales nearly doubled in June 2018 when compared to a year ago"

giphy.gif

Humdinger

Gold Member
Glad to see God of War doing so well. I heard that the unexpected level of success of GoW was one of the reasons Sony revised its forecast upwards for fiscal year 2018 (from 16 million to 17 million).

GTAV is a beast.

Its a last gen game even! The current gen port has probably out sold all current gen AAA by this point.

Why should Microsoft reveal the actual number of consoles sold when it's at best 1/2 of Sony and will be instantly hopped on in social media to ridicule them?

thelastword

Banned

Agreed, a retro console at the price of a brand new game ($59.99), is nice and all and yes it may outsell a $400 system, and yes you can report on it, but I think people want to know how the current gen systems are doing....

So it was like this for current consoles;

1. PS4
2. SWITCH
3. XBOX-ONE

We also have to consider that this was a slow month for PS4 in terms of releases (exclusives) and it's no doubt still tearing things up. GOW continues to set records...and yet, Sony still has a shortage of PS4-PRO's on their hands....People realized how slowly stock replenishes after they had the $50 dicount from Days of Play recently, and that's in the US, maybe even worse in the EU.

Detroit and MLB continue to do their thing...Still a mild curiosity, what happened to SOD2, wasn't that title Number 1 last NPD?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Agreed, a retro console at the price of a brand new game ($59.99), is nice and all and yes it may outsell a $400 system, and yes you can report on it, but I think people want to know how the current gen systems are doing....

So it was like this for current consoles;

1. PS4
2. SWITCH
3. XBOX-ONE

We also have to consider that this was a slow month for PS4 in terms of releases (exclusives) and it's no doubt still tearing things up. GOW continues to set records...and yet, Sony still has a shortage of PS4-PRO's on their hands....People realized how slowly stock replenishes after they had the $50 dicount from Days of Play recently, and that's in the US, maybe even worse in the EU.

Detroit and MLB continue to do their thing...Still a mild curiosity, what happened to SOD2, wasn't that title Number 1 last NPD?

A buddy of mine can't locate a Pro in the area he is in, at all. He was finally going to upgrade from his launch unit, since he picked up a nice LG 4K HDR/FreeSync monitor on sale at Best Buy.

I heard rumblings of possibly a new model revision to the Pro, so that could be contributing to them restocking as fast right now.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
A buddy of mine can't locate a Pro in the area he is in, at all. He was finally going to upgrade from his launch unit, since he picked up a nice LG 4K HDR/FreeSync monitor on sale at Best Buy.

I heard rumblings of possibly a new model revision to the Pro, so that could be contributing to them restocking as fast right now.
Ahh very well, that'd be swell if there are some improvements to the hardware there...

It's also looking like they may be stockpiling some PRO's for the upcoming spiderman bundle too...I hope they have/make enough. I think demand will be off the charts up-to the holidays...

https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/20/17594920/spider-man-ps4-pro-bundle-price-release-date

thelastword

Banned
According to some leaked estimates around the web....

PS4 >380k
Switch 320-325K
XboxOne 296-300k

Out of all of these stats, MS had the most sales though. The XBOX-ONE hardware could be found for $199.99, The 1Tb version could be had for $249. XBONEX had free PUBG and you could get it at $449 with a $50 giftcard. PS4 only had the $50 discount on Days of Play, but that only lasted 10 days, whilst XBOX sales lasted for much longer for the period.....

All in all, they were all up YOY for June.....

Last edited:

demigod

Well HW revenue is is 2x, it makes sense when they have a $500 console this year and they did not last year. The question is do they break even at $500?

I'd say they are either breaking even or even profitting a tiny bit. There is no way they are losing money like people were claiming at $500 since you can get the One X for $399 like every month this year. Retailers aren't going to be taking a $100 hit.

According to some leaked estimates around the web....

PS4 >380k
Switch 320-325K
XboxOne 296-300k

Out of all of these stats, MS had the most sales though. The XBOX-ONE hardware could be found for $199.99, The 1Tb version could be had for $249. XBONEX had free PUBG and you could get it at $449 with a $50 giftcard. PS4 only had the $50 discount on Days of Play, but that only lasted 10 days, whilst XBOX sales lasted for much longer for the period.....

All in all, they were all up YOY for June.....

You forgot $399 without giftcard. So much for the MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE ON PLANET EARTH still losing out to the Switch.

`

I'd say they are either breaking even or even profitting a tiny bit. There is no way they are losing money like people were claiming at $500 since you can get the One X for $399 like every month this year. Retailers aren't going to be taking a $100 hit.

You forgot $399 without giftcard. So much for the MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE ON PLANET EARTH still losing out to the Switch.

`
nXRNGEd.jpg

Top Bottom