• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2018

mad597

Banned
Where did you get that from in this thread? All I seen was that Xbox made almost 2X more money than it did last year at this time.

Doubling revenue is bad, "if you aint first you last"

People need to get a fucking grip, this gen has shown that all 3 companies can make a healthy profit and offer gamers unique worthwhile gaming experience regardless of who is first or not.

Y'know, I remember this being a phenomenon with the Wii. "Okay, we get it, the Wii sold 4 million this month. Can we get back to the sales numbers between PS3 and 360?" NPD threads were more about Sony vs Microsoft and Nintendo was just "the winner, but only technically". DS was treated the same way, sales-wise. When the Wii U and 3DS were doing much poorer in sales, Nintendo was the butt of the joke in NPD threads but that was never taken seriously, either

I think Nintendo's blue-ocean dominance is fascinating, but I can understand wanting to follow the more hardcore "console war" competition between Microsoft and Sony.

I neither agree nor disagree with your reasonings for people flocking to NPD threads. I just find it interesting in light of the above.
It makes sense to separate Microsoft's and Sony's number from the rest of the pack because those are the only consoles that compete directly with one another. They offer similar games at equivalent quality so a buying decision between the two is an exclusive choice for most people. Recent Nintendo consoles either catered to a seperate audience. or been supplemental to Xbox and PlayStation(remember Wii360).

In short, even though there are many different devices that can be called a console, that doesn't mean they all exist in the same market. A common flaw in analysis that leads to intractable arguments is applying statistics from one area to another separate, but related one. It makes a lot of sense to ensure a question is properly defined before debating different answers.

It makes sense to separate Microsoft's and Sony's number from the rest of the pack because those are the only consoles that compete directly with one another. They offer similar games at equivalent quality so a buying decision between the two is an exclusive choice for most people. Recent Nintendo consoles either catered to a seperate audience. or been supplemental to Xbox and PlayStation(remember Wii360).

In short, even though there are many different devices that can be called a console, that doesn't mean they all exist in the same market. A common flaw in analysis that leads to intractable arguments is applying statistics from one area to another separate, but related one. It makes a lot of sense to ensure a question is properly defined before debating different answers.
It seems like arbitrary mental gymnastics when -- in reality -- they are competing with one another directly. When one console "sidesteps" it often leads to it being crushed, but on rare occasions it can surge ahead of the competition and become very successful. It doesn't make it any more or less of a console.

People acted like the underpowered Wii was anything new. Heck, that move wasn't even new for Nintendo: both the NES and Game Boy were very underpowered compared to the competition. Were the TurboGrafix-16 and the Genesis the only two "directly competing" consoles in the late 80s 'cause the NES don't count 'cause Nintendo was still stuck in 8-bit? Was the Game Boy not "directly competing" with the Game Gear, Lynx, and Neo Geo Pocket (r.i.p.) because it had a monochrome screen instead of a color one?

This sounds like a hoity-toity justification for 2008-era "filthy Wii-playing casuals" nonsense.

Humdinger

Gold Member
It makes sense to separate Microsoft's and Sony's number from the rest of the pack because those are the only consoles that compete directly with one another. They offer similar games at equivalent quality so a buying decision between the two is an exclusive choice for most people.

I don't know about that. I know a lot of people who own an Xbox and a PS4. We would have to take a poll to know for sure, but my guess is that PS4 + Xbox is the most common combo, more common than PS4 + Switch or Xbox + Switch.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
nXRNGEd.jpg

These meme is unnecessary but the tone of the post of demigod demigod is unnecessary as well. You can compare the sales of Switch and XBONE without this sarcasm.

According to some leaked estimates around the web....

PS4 >380k
Switch 320-325K
XboxOne 296-300k

Out of all of these stats, MS had the most sales though. The XBOX-ONE hardware could be found for $199.99, The 1Tb version could be had for $249. XBONEX had free PUBG and you could get it at $449 with a $50 giftcard. PS4 only had the $50 discount on Days of Play, but that only lasted 10 days, whilst XBOX sales lasted for much longer for the period.....

All in all, they were all up YOY for June.....

AFIK this numbers are based on last year units and this year revenue growth. So incorrect.
Only Switch could be somewhat accurate, as the ASP for Switch didn't chance much yet.

This thread is so slow...I wonder if anyone would notice if I leaked the hardware results here?
Just go for it.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
AFIK this numbers are based on last year units and this year revenue growth. So incorrect.
Only Switch could be somewhat accurate, as the ASP for Switch didn't chance much yet.

The PS4 prices have not changed in the last year either.

The PS4 prices have not changed in the last year either.
Sure it did.
2017 was the $249 for the the gold 1TB Slim and still $399 for the Pro during "Days of Play" promotion
2018 was $299 for the blue special Edition 1TB Slim and $349 for the Pro during "Days of Play" promotion

iconmaster

Banned
This thread is so slow...I wonder if anyone would notice if I leaked the hardware results here?

Hey Aquamarine -- whether or not you leak anything, I just want to say that I always looked forward to your GAF posts through my years of lurking.

Edit: really I recommend not risking your job again though. :)

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
GTA 5 and FC 5 won't stop selling anytime soon.

Tell me, anyone, do we have any estimates on how Fighting Ex Layer performed?

thelastword

Banned
It's the only thing I could get, estimates based on the MAT Piscatella reports of performance over last year.....generally.....

If you have more accurate figures or ballparks, then by all means.....Also, GAF is no longer as big of a forum with a thousand posts per minute anymore, but I think things are picking up as of late....slowly but surely, I guess..;)

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Did you even look at the stats?

Drive by post, only explanation.

Yes they are in a bad place. If those numbers are to be believed they still came in last, in their strongest market mind you, despite all these sales and promotions. Yes they had a good E3, but good E3 shows don't sell consoles.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Sure it did.
2017 was the $249 for the the gold 1TB Slim and still $399 for the Pro during "Days of Play" promotion
2018 was $299 for the blue special Edition 1TB Slim and $349 for the Pro during "Days of Play" promotion

The MSRP was the same, a short sale for $50 in either year probably didn't skew numbers much.

thelastword

Banned

Just go for it.
Not revenue growth, but hardware sales growth over last year.......as the main extrapolator.....

Still, Aquamarine can give us the most accurate ballparks, if she so desires....whywontshe ;)

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'll think about it...I'm really upset at Resetera right now (see this: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nyt-...-editoral-board.1464332/page-5#post-253372113), and I don't want anything from here leaking over there, especially with NPD sneaking around. So I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

In the meantime, some interesting statistics that won't get me in trouble:

1) Switch physical software almost outsold PS4 physical software this month (missed by only $3 million)....and both were significantly larger than Xbox One physical software

2) The digital ratio is now 42.5%....a TREMENDOUS amount of the industry is now digital

3) PS4 + Switch + Xbox One physical software now comprise 92% of physical software sales....RIP 3DS

4) Labo continues to be incredibly weak at USA retail...weak launch, weak second month, and weak once again this month

The Queen returns!!!! Stuff like this is what GAF needs. Even if we don't get direct numbers, it's nice to feed on something to give us an idea on how the industry is doing.

Thanks! :)

thelastword

Banned
The Crew 2 seems to be doing well for Ubisoft too, I wonder how it compares to Horizon 3 as open world racers. Looking back at September/October 2016....The Crew 2 seems to be doing much better over Horizon, even in the EU as well....

Funny those stats published above, because coming from E3, some folk said XBOX had some new momentum, especially talk emanating from crossplay, fortnite etc.....Now that even the NPD has cited fortnite as one of the major reasons for hardware sales growth in June, it seems the XBOX was on the bottom end of that, since both Sony and MS's crossplay partner Nintendo did better in hardware sales, when MS had the most discounts for about 20 days or more in the month......I wonder why that is?.....

mckmas8808

I'd rather that people figure things out as a result of a conversation with me, than to just hand over numbers.

Does it seem as if Sony and Nintendo's physical media sales are close because most of the Switches software sales are physical? Whereas more than 50% of the software sales for Sony are digital?

I imagine Nintendo doesn't sell that many games total digitally.

Dargor

I'll think about it...I'm really upset at Resetera right now (see this: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nyt-...-editoral-board.1464332/page-5#post-253372113), and I don't want anything from here leaking over there, especially with NPD sneaking around. So I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

1) Switch physical software almost outsold PS4 physical software this month (missed by only $3 million)....and both were significantly larger than Xbox One physical software

2) The digital ratio is now 42.5%....a TREMENDOUS amount of the industry is now digital

3) PS4 + Switch + Xbox One physical software now comprise 92% of physical software sales....RIP 3DS

4) Labo continues to be incredibly weak at USA retail...weak launch, weak second month, and weak once again this month

Hey nice seeing you posting on NPD threads, are the powers that be not being so mean to you now?

I'd rather that people figure things out as a result of a conversation with me, than to just hand over numbers.

Do You think Switch will be able to catch up with Xbox sales wise in America ? Worldwide it seems just a matter of time but I wonder how fast it's closing distance in Microsoft strongest territory.

thelastword

Banned
It must have done a lot better digitally and in Europe because USA physical launch sales for The Crew 2 were bad...even worse than Labo's launch lol.
Well not surprising since according to your stats above and Sony's recent financial report, Digital is around 43%. Then I observed that Horizon was #9 on the NPD in September 2016 on debut, and disappeared in October 2016 the following month....Whilst Crew 2 is here at #4 and I've seen it on many EU charts as well...

Last edited:

Thanks for posting what you can. This is the sort of discussion that made me join GAF several years ago (old profile was banned).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PS4 Pro outsold Xbox One X this month by more than 30K. It's an interesting phenomenon to see PS4 Pro having an overall stronger presence in the USA market, even if it appears to be less marketed and weaker.

There seems to be a bit of a shortage for Pro's as well people have noticed.

mckmas8808

The Switch has a LONG way to go before it can even dream to catching up to the Xbox One's 21 million in the USA. I think it will eventually happen, but it will take years.

I had no idea that the Xbox One was so heavily dependent on North America. 21 million in NA is great until you realize that they have sold like 40 million Globally.

thelastword

Banned
There seems to be a bit of a shortage for Pro's as well people have noticed.
Which is another thing to consider, people just aren't getting PRO's on storeshelves as much as they'd like, and it's not discounted so often. I hope Sony has a truckload of PRO's ready when Spiderman hits........I think demand should increase even more with Spiderman and if Rockstar has a good PRO implementation with RDR2....

leo-j

Sony is lowballing PS4 shipments to retailers..... something must be up. Either they are releasing a cheaper revision(likely scenerio) of the PS4 PRO and to a lesser extent the PS4. Or they just are barely meeting market demand for PS4 PRO and again to a lesser extent the ps4. PS4 so far this year has been selling on average for a higher amount than it was last year. What that means is it's lowest price point has been 299 this year, while last year the console was as cheap as 249 for days of play, and 199 for black friday.

PS4 Pro outsold Xbox One X this month by more than 30K. It's an interesting phenomenon to see PS4 Pro having an overall stronger presence in the USA market, even if it appears to be less marketed and weaker.
I mean, it was the only ps4 on sale that month, so of course it would be higher.
Xbox One S being crazy cheap took the attention away from the X.
edit:
price difference between PS4 and pro: $50 ($299/$349)
price difference between xbox s and x: $250 ($199/$449)
It would make sense that people pay the extra 50 bucks for pro, but for xbox the price difference makes it iffy.

Last edited:

Dargor

Sony is lowballing PS4 shipments to retailers..... something must be up. Either they are releasing a cheaper revision(likely scenerio) of the PS4 PRO and to a lesser extent the PS4. Or they just are barely meeting market demand for PS4 PRO and again to a lesser extent the ps4. PS4 so far this year has been selling on average for a higher amount than it was last year. What that means is it's lowest price point has been 299 this year, while last year the console was as cheap as 249 for days of play, and 199 for black friday.

I think its pretty simple, they are setting the bar low so they can easily beat them, that way they look good for achieving their goals and even better when it happens by a decent margin (they've been doing that the whole gen.).

xStoyax

Banned
Is there a calendar where there's a easy list to see which console won which month? When's the last time Xbox won a month?

demigod

I'm glad you got banned over there. Now you can spend your time with us instead. Mods over there are fucking terrible which is funny since most of them were Ex-Neogaf members. They are 10 times worse than the old mods here. Do you happen to have any numbers for Detroit?

These meme is unnecessary but the tone of the post of demigod demigod is unnecessary as well. You can compare the sales of Switch and XBONE without this sarcasm.

That is asking a lot. It's pretty clear who the regulars are that continue to act this way

Interesting to see just how much digital is growing.

The Crew 2 seems to be doing well for Ubisoft too, I wonder how it compares to Horizon 3 as open world racers. Looking back at September/October 2016....The Crew 2 seems to be doing much better over Horizon, even in the EU as well....

Funny those stats published above, because coming from E3, some folk said XBOX had some new momentum, especially talk emanating from crossplay, fortnite etc.....Now that even the NPD has cited fortnite as one of the major reasons for hardware sales growth in June, it seems the XBOX was on the bottom end of that, since both Sony and MS's crossplay partner Nintendo did better in hardware sales, when MS had the most discounts for about 20 days or more in the month......I wonder why that is?.....

What's really funny is your obsession with anything to do with Xbox considering how much you struggle to say anything positive about it. Which brings me to my last quote here...

I'm glad you got banned over there. Now you can spend your time with us instead. Mods over there are fucking terrible which is funny since most of them were Ex-Neogaf members. They are 10 times worse than the old mods here. Do you happen to have any numbers for Detroit?

The mods are not terrible, they just don't tolerate as much of the same bullshit some of you present here. There is way, way less console warrioring that takes place over there and if it does happen it gets straightened out pretty quickly.

xStoyax

Banned
The mods are not terrible, they just don't tolerate as much of the same bullshit some of you present here. There is way, way less console warrioring that takes place over there and if it does happen it gets straightened out pretty quickly.

There was a post about the election where numerous people called the President all sorts of inflammatory names. Some posts literally just said 'Fuck Trump' and those accounts are still there and were never banned. In the same thread I posted "I am thankful for every day that I wake up and it's President Trump instead of her" - I was banned. I didn't use foul language, the thread was about the election so it was on topic.

So YES, the mods over there are TERRIBLE. Nothing but an echo chamber who likes to believe their intelligence is far superior to that of anyone who disagrees with them, yet they can't handle debate & they have to silence those who don't parrot their talking points.

demigod

How do you think it's been doing? Give me your impressions.

I don't think its doing well, although i missed the part where the dev came out and said it sold over 1mil in 2 weeks.

That is asking a lot. It's pretty clear who the regulars are that continue to act this way

Interesting to see just how much digital is growing.

What's really funny is your obsession with anything to do with Xbox considering how much you struggle to say anything positive about it. Which brings me to my last quote here...

Its pretty funny how you always claim people are console warrioring yet you're doing that and replying to my post which has NOTHING to do with it.

Top Bottom