• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

Three men and one dog:
〇 - 6800 +
3 - 4850 +
4 - 1540 +
1 - 1400 +

1xx years ago: 216

3D: 611
4U: 278
K: 109
Poor The Order :(

I was not a fan of the game but I had hoped for a sequel atleast.

As for GTA V, the combined figures become 14590k, which is a lot. Do we have any number for the best selling game in NPD?

madmackem

The game really isn't fitting to be bought digitally unless it's dirt cheap in my opinion. Wouldn't be surprised if the digital sales were low too.

Many will have preordered it on the ps store well before it came out it was so short, I know me and three friends did this, plus uk price was on par with physical at launch which is a plus when your wanting to go digital this gen.

mo60

Poor The Order :(

I was not a fan of the game but I had hoped for a sequel atleast.

As for GTA V, the combined figures become 14590k, which is a lot. Do we have any number for the best selling game in NPD?

Mario Kart Wii may be a bit higher than GTAIV but I trying to find accurate data for this.There may have been a bunch of bundled games on older consoles(like Wii sports) that sold 15+ million maybe even 20+ million in the US.

If that's really The Order's number then it really dropped like a rock, and it didn't even sell that well in the first place for a game of its caliber. What a disaster :/

I wonder what RAD is doing now. I'm sure they already know what their status with Sony is going forward. The Order 1886 is one of the biggest flops I have ever witnessed. It took a while for Evolution to get gutted, but it happened.

Endo Punk

The Order got what it deserved honestly. Sony should be quite ashamed for supporting a game so shallow it would feel dated even on the PS3. It's one thing to create a cinematic experience but it's completely another to ignore the innovations and experiences that paved the way for the sub-genre this past decade. For a dev that looks towards ND they have learnt absolutely nothing from them. And to top it off they couldn't even give their loyal supporters a proper conclusion to the story, a basic requirement for a new IP.

Good riddance.

I wonder what RAD is doing now. I'm sure they already know what their status with Sony is going forward. The Order 1886 is one of the biggest flops I have ever witnessed. It took a while for Evolution to get gutted, but it happened.

They are independent so Sony can't do anything to them except not fund a sequel. And Sony would be dumb to fund a sequel when they can invest in better franchises past and present as well as support more new IP's.

The Order got what it deserved honestly. Sony should be quite ashamed for supporting a game so shallow it would feel dated even on the PS3. It's one thing to create a cinematic experience but it's completely another to ignore the innovations and experiences that paved the way for the sub-genre this past decade. For a dev that looks towards ND they have learnt absolutely nothing from them. And to top it off they couldn't even give their loyal supporters a proper conclusion to the story.

Good riddance.

They already had sequels, movies and merchandise planned.

I would mind them getting another chance and making it the Gears Of War clone it should have been.

The Order got what it deserved honestly. Sony should be quite ashamed for supporting a game so shallow it would feel dated even on the PS3. It's one thing to create a cinematic experience but it's completely another to ignore the innovations and experiences that paved the way for the sub-genre this past decade. For a dev that looks towards ND they have learnt absolutely nothing from them. And to top it off they couldn't even give their loyal supporters a proper conclusion to the story.

Good riddance.

They are independent so Sony can't do anything to them except not fund a sequel. And Sony would be dumb to fund a sequel when they can invest in better franchises past and present as well as support more new IP's.

I know they are independent. Sony can't downsize or close the studio, but if they don't give them any more funding it will probably have the same effect.

Even if The Order is dead as a franchise, it'd be foolish to not keep RAD on payroll.

For a new God of War after Barlog's.

You really think Sony would hand them the keys to one their best-selling and critically acclaimed IPs after The Order? They did good work on PSP, but I would be skeptical. And why wouldn't Barlog continue to make more GOW? He has done anything else nearly as successful? He came back for a reason.

Endo Punk

Thats just stupid logic. I don't see the Order being a franchise now though.

You have no idea how big of a flop this IP is considering new engine from scratch, 5 years dev time and state of the art current gen visuals and motion capture. You can't rely on games you did 5 yeats ago based on an existing IP and template after your recent one is a mega bomba.

GoW 4 by SSM : 2016/7
GoW Spinoff by RAD : 2018/19
New IP by SSM : 2018-2020

No new IP from SSM themself after the money sink that was Stig's new IP and restructuring of the studio. Expect GOW 4, 5, 6.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Update for 1886:
Feb: 19x
LTD: 231

Combining this with "sub 40k" from John Harker, it means The Order sold between 191,000 and 199,000

Also, this makes things better for MH4U! Assuming 199,000 as max

290,000 = R1 + N1

N1 = 290,000 - R1 = 290,000 - 199,000 = 91,000

R2 = 91,000 - 12,000 = 79,000

MH4U LTD - 369,000 - minimum achieved (without second month's digital sales)

You really think Sony would hand them the keys to one their best-selling and critically acclaimed IPs after The Order? They did good work on PSP, but I would be skeptical. And why wouldn't Barlog continue to make more GOW? He has done anything else nearly as successful? He came back for a reason.

Under a tighter scrutiny, strict design guidelines and a spin-off banner, yeah.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
You have no idea how big of a flop this IP is considering new engine from scratch, 5 years dev time and state of the art current gen visuals and motion capture. You can't rely on games you did 5 yeats ago based on an existing IP and template after your recent one is a mega bomba.

No new IP from SSM themself after the money sink that was Stig's new IP and restructuring of the studio. Expect GOW 4, 5, 6.

:( Does anyone even remotely know what Stig's new IP was like?

Wootwoot Bloodborne!

Also... does anyone else want Microsoft to go back to the "8 million hours played, 762 funs had..."? Their PR was so stark and barren this month... it was pretty disheartening.

Jesus. I just hope RAD will get away with only a few bruises ... Such a talented studio.
I still don't know why some keep repeating this.

They made one mediocre platformer, one meh GOW game, one good GOW game, a somewhat botched Wii port of a PS2 game and one absolutely dreadful game.

Doesn'tt scream overly talanted to me.

ascii42

They made one mediocre platformer, one awful GOW game, one good GOW game, a somewhat botched Wii port of a PS2 game and one absolutely dreadful game.

Some people really like Daxter, myself included.

They made one mediocre platformer, one awful GOW game, one good GOW game, a somewhat botched Wii port of a PS2 game and one absolutely dreadful game.

I think they are talented, but their priorities were fucked when developing The Order. I think they learned a harsh lesson. Only question is whether they will get a a chance at redemption.

Some people really like Daxter, myself included.
That was 9 years ago.

I don't want to derail this thread by dogpiling on RAD, but I legitimately dondon't know why some people hail them as this ultra talented studio that so happens to have some bad luck with the Order...

...when their track record is just "pretty ok" with a single standout title at best.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member

They made one mediocre platformer, one meh GOW game, one good GOW game, a somewhat botched Wii port of a PS2 game and one absolutely dreadful game.

I really liked their PSP output including both GOW's and Daxter.

ascii42

That was 9 years ago.

I don't want to derail this thread by dogpiling on RAD, but I legitimately dondon't know why some people hail them as this ultra talented studio that so happens to have some bad luck with the Order...

...when their track record is just "pretty ok" with a single standout title at best.

Just putting it as a counter to "one mediocre platformer." For me, Daxter and Ghost of Sparta are two of the best PSP games. Taking a view like that in mind, you should be able to see why some people think they are talented. I haven't played The Order, so I'm not going to comment on its quality.

gtj1092

Combining this with "sub 40k" from John Harker, it means The Order sold between 191,000 and 199,000

Also, this makes things better for MH4U! Assuming 199,000 as max

290,000 = R1 + N1

N1 = 290,000 - R1 = 290,000 - 199,000 = 91,000

R2 = 91,000 - 12,000 = 79,000

MH4U LTD - 369,000 - minimum achieved (without second month's digital sales)

Are you saying 1/3 of MH copies were digital? Also does this mean last month cream meant to put the order at less than 200k?

None of this makes sense because the order was definitely ahead of MH on the chart and I don't believe NPD counts special editions in with regular editions. So I guess the question is was the order above or below 200K last month how why would MH have such a high digital attach rate compared to other games.

That was 9 years ago.

They made one of the best GOW games.... On the PSP. In doing so they had excellent new additions to the combat and lore. All that with a relatively small studio

Pretty impressive

You think they waste this 5 years of engine, game research and assets just because this game did not sell enough. I'm sure they invested this amount of time because they want this as a franchise(even sony too thats why they still market this game by adding Galahad in Super time ultra force, LBP costumes, PS4 cover plates, huge marketing it had for launch, bundles etc.,) which is why we did not have proper ending in this game, perhaps they spent so much time on game engine and world instead of focusing on content in their time to get it released even with a delay. I can see they can do this even better in sequel addressing the problems it had with 10+ hours content and multiplayer with less cinematic. This game problem was just did not have enough content, too much cinematic gameplay and no multiplayer for a $60 game in these days of multiplayer domination and users asking replayablity.

I think they are talented, but their priorities were fucked when developing The Order. I think they learned a harsh lesson. Only question is whether they will get a a chance at redemption.

This.

I enjoyed my time with The Order, but even from a design perspective, the fact that they removed dodge-roll and made it a QTE prompt against werewolves said everything that needs to be said about the design errors about the game.

Even at its core, there were many things in the game that could've been better had they just took a slightly different approach for each one. Unfortunately, a lot of those little things ended up being what I felt were poor design choices, and those little things compounded piece-by-piece into a whole experience.

Top Bottom