• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Frenck said:
Why the hell are Wii pack ins not in the hardware/peripheral category? It continues to piss me off. They aren't selling a game, they are selling a peripheral with a low budget game added as a bonus.
How do you manage to post with that level of mental retardation?

jibblypop

Banned
Someone said they think the Conduit will open around the same numbers as Punch out but I really can't see that happening. Punch-Out had tons of ads on tv and the Conduit doesn't. That matters a lot.
It might sell over 100k but I would be very surprised if it produced the numbers first month that some people here are expecting.
It may sell over the long term, who knows? But I wouldn't be expecting day one blockbuster status.

farnham

Banned
jibblypop said:
Someone said they think the Conduit will open around the same numbers as Punch out but I really can't see that happening. Punch-Out had tons of ads on tv and the Conduit doesn't. That matters a lot.
It might sell over 100k but I would be very surprised if it produced the numbers first month that some people here are expecting.
It may sell over the long term, who knows? But I wouldn't be expecting day one blockbuster status.
conduit is launching in two weeks.. its not even out how can there be commercials.. (unless its halo or something)

jibblypop

Banned
farnham said:
conduit is launching in two weeks.. its not even out how can there be commercials.. (unless its halo or something)

Do you think there will be as many commercials as Punch Out?

Also it seems like awareness is pretty low all around for that game. As you say though it's out in 2 weeks so I would love to be wrong and see a killer ad campaign. It could happen I guess but I wouldn't bet on it.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
jibblypop said:

I have yet to see a single ad for Punch-Out, but I have seen about a billion ads for UFC. Perhaps it's a demographic thing, but it will be important for Sega to not only advertise, but advertise in the right spots. Unfortunately for them, the NBA playoffs will be over by then.

jibblypop

Banned
chuckddd said:
I have yet to see a single ad for Punch-Out

I only watch the news and sports. I saw the Punch Out ads during those 2 things. I live in Canada so maybe the advertising was higher for punch out here. no idea.

tabsina said:
the wheel, which is most likely only used to play mario kart, is the reason why mario kart is selling well?
I'm sure that launch 4x4 game that came with a wheel also quickly went multi-platinum.

farnham

Banned
jibblypop said:
Do you think there will be as many commercials as Punch Out?

Also it seems like awareness is pretty low all around for that game. As you say though it's out in 2 weeks so I would love to be wrong and see a killer ad campaign. It could happen I guess but I wouldn't bet on it.
i dont know

i personally never saw any ads for punch out

im just sitting here and waiting for my preordered copy from amazon which they still havent shipped because its sold out.. crazy i know

Shurs

sionyboy said:
It's when the avatar defence force comes in to play, that's when it gets hilarious.

Well..... its funny at first anyway.

edit: Actually, serious question here for sane people, are there any games coming out in Q4 2009 that people would seriously categorise as a 'system seller'? I see some big 3rd party titles coming, but nothing from first parties that is going to have a Halo/MGS4 effect. I wonder if price cuts and aggressive marketing will be what the console manufacturers order this Christmas.

There is no one title coming out this year for Playstation 3 that is a "system seller." It would be foolish to think that Uncharted 2 is a system seller. Uncharted 2 is a sequel to a current gen game. If any game had a chance of being a system seller (and if one believed that stupid meme) the first game would've had the better chance, and the first Uncharted obviously wasn't a system seller. A $400 purchase is made due to more than one game.

Edit: If anyone is hyping Uncharted 2, it's as a Game of the Year candidate, not a system seller. This "Wait For..." meme is fucking tired.

I saw tons of Punch-Out commercials, but in any event the game was never going to be massive. Tbe game (and the commercials) rely heavily on nostalgia for a game which has far fewer fans than something like Mario/Zelda. Younger kids and casuals are not likely to really take interest.

Shurs

EagleEyes said:
Dude, I meant for the month of August not the entire year.

Well then, what was your point? You responded to my response asking when the last price cut sustained momentum for a console for more than a few months. Price does matter, to claim it doesn't is completely wrong when comparing the HD consoles.

SapientWolf said:
The differences in sales patterns are mostly due to the differences in the Wii and 360 user bases. There are a large portion of Wii owners who don't see the release of a new game, even a really well done one, as an event. There is very little Nintendo can do to convince them otherwise.

And yet this audience participates day and date with event movies (all summer blockbusters) and event TV shows (American Idol, Jon & Kate, etc.).

There is actually a lot that Nintendo can do to convince them otherwise. They just obviously feel that the return is not worth the marketing spend.

legend166

dammitmattt said:
And yet this audience participates day and date with event movies (all summer blockbusters) and event TV shows (American Idol, Jon & Kate, etc.).

There is actually a lot that Nintendo can do to convince them otherwise. They just obviously feel that the return is not worth the marketing spend.

Oh come on, that's a ridiculous comparison. They're not in any way comparable. You've got months and months to go out and buy a game, compared to a film which doesn't stick around forever. Or a TV show, which up until very recently could only be seen that one time. How is that comparable.

The only way you'll make the casual audience really start to care about day one purchases is through limited sale periods or if it's a sequel to an established franchise.

Shurs

dammitmattt said:

What is Jon & Kate and how is it an event?

Jocchan said:
Updated just for ya:
2en5a49.png

:lol :lol :lol

The "Obama" completely makes that. Nice job on the wands, too.

sionyboy said:
edit: Actually, serious question here for sane people, are there any games coming out in Q4 2009 that people would seriously categorise as a 'system seller'? I see some big 3rd party titles coming, but nothing from first parties that is going to have a Halo/MGS4 effect. I wonder if price cuts and aggressive marketing will be what the console manufacturers order this Christmas.

Yes, but they're almost all multiplatform outside of New Super Mario Bros. Wii:

The Beatles: Rock Band
Modern Warfare 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Madden 10

Uncharted 2 and Ratchet Future 2 will mostly sell to the existing base. Same with Halo 3: ODST. Forza 3 is a little more interesting because it might sell some systems to some Sony stalwarts who are sick of waiting on GT5.

Slightly off topic, but I've been looking for a good Natal picture to shop since forever.

10rld2d.png

You know this is coming when idiots people start kicking their TVs and blame Microsoft. :lol

thefro

At least among the online audience, Conduit seems to have a stronger buzz than Punch-Out. The people who bought Punch-Out were mainly the folks with Wiis who had owned the NES game or, to a lesser extent, Super Punch-Out back in the day.

Interest in Punch-Out has really dropped off already among core gamers due to the lack of boxers and the difficulty curve on Title Defense. Nintendo's ad campaign, although great, really only targeted the 2-3 million people who had owned the NES game. The sport of boxing has tanked since the NES game was released as well. If I'm a casual gamer, I can already box the computer and other people with Wii Sports.

There is quite a sizable fanbase for the Conduit game that will be playing it for months online and spreading buzz. A lot still depends on what Sega's TV ad campaign is and how the rest of the reviews are, but I'm still confident it'll do pretty well.

Shurs

dammitmattt said:

Modern Warfare 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Madden 10

Uncharted 2 and Ratchet Future 2 will mostly sell to the existing base. Same with Halo 3: ODST. Forza 3 is a little more interesting because it might sell some systems to some Sony stalwarts who are sick of waiting on GT5.

You are correct there about the bolded games not being system sellers. I don't really see any one game as a system seller. If Grand Theft Auto 4 didn't move hardware, I don't see any multiplatform titles selling a machine on their own.

dammitmattt said:

the difference is that summer movies generally only stay on screens for a couple of weeks, unless they're big hits or you have a large multiplex to go to, and TV shows are only on at a very specific time.

a video game is more like a DVD in that the customer knows it's going to be in stores for months if not years. i don't see most people rushing out day 1 to buy a game or a DVD to be honest... but i don't think that's any kind of slam on the people making or advertising them.

legend166

dammitmattt said:

Modern Warfare 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Madden 10

How are any of those (except possibly Beatles) system sellers. They're sequels to existing games. Madden has had what, 4 next generation iterations by now? Why would 10 make someone jump in if they hadn't before? Who's buying a console for Assassin's Creed 2 that didn't already have one for Assassin's Creed 1? Same with Modern Warfare.

I don't see how they're system sellers at all. They're pretty much the definition of selling to the existing base.

MacBosse

Interview in Swedish, page 10

From this interview in Swedish magazine Gamereactor the CEO of Grin Bo Andersson said that Bionic Commando cost a little over 150 000 000 Swedish kronor (roughly 19.531.250 dollars) to make ...

Now lets do the math GAF. How much did Capcom lose when they sold only 30.000 copies? Could we estimate the copies sold in Europe and get that figure in too?

tabsina said:
the wheel, which is most likely only used to play mario kart, is the reason why mario kart is selling well?
I'm sure that launch 4x4 game that came with a wheel also quickly went multi-platinum.

EDIT: WHOOPS DELAYED DOUBLE POST. Evidence left for embarrassment.

legend166

MacBosse said:
Interview in Swedish

From this interview in Swedish magazine Gamereactor the CEO of Grin Bo Andersson said that Bionic Commando cost a little over 150 000 000 Swedish kronor = 19.5285 million U.S. dollars to make ...

Now lets do the math GAF. How much did Capcom lose when they sold only 30.000 copies? Could we estimate the copies sold in Europe and get that figure in too?

Let's be generous and say they sold 30k in Europe. Accounting for the higher price in Europe, let's say they get $30US per copy.

60k * $30 = 1.8 million revenue for the first month.

Massive, massive bomba, by any account.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MacBosse said:
Interview in Swedish

From this interview in Swedish magazine Gamereactor the CEO of Grin Bo Andersson said that Bionic Commando cost a little over 150 000 000 Swedish kronor = 19.5285 million U.S. dollars to make ...

Let's be generous and say they sold double as much in Europe. 90,000 total. Now let's be generous and say that GRiN is receiving 100% of all copies sold and all copies are sold at $59.

90,000 * $59 = $5,310,000.

So they/Capcom lost a bare minimum 15 million US dollars on the project's negative costs (not including any kind of advertising budget or post-production stuff) so far! Oh, and let's take into account that they/Capcom don't see anything like $59 from a sale of the game, and furthermore my Euro funny numbers are truly generous.

legend166

Stumpokapow said:
Let's be generous and say they sold double as much in Europe. 90,000 total. Now let's be generous and say that GRiN is receiving 100% of all copies sold and all copies are sold at $59.

90,000 * $59 = $5,310,000.

So they/Capcom lost a bare minimum 15 million US dollars on the project's negative costs (not including any kind of advertising budget or post-production stuff) so far! Oh, and let's take into account that they/Capcom don't see anything like $59 from a sale of the game, and furthermore my Euro funny numbers are truly generous.

I like that both our posts started with 'Let's be generous', yet I was still completely below you :lol

Xeke said:
I've also never seen a punchout commercial.
i've seen a bunch. also for Infamous and UFC. wouldn't be able to say which i saw most advertised.

unless we can find out the advertising budgets of the games, we'll never really be able to tell how well advertised a game is. no one on GAF can watch every channel for 24 hours a day to do any kind of valid comparison.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
legend166 said:
I like that both our posts started with 'Let's be generous', yet I was still completely below you :lol

I'm a generous guy!

I do need to lol that our posts were both in the exact same format and flow though!

GodofWine

szaromir said:
I don't think anyone is hyping Uncharted 2 to be the game to change PS3's sales trend. I think the price cut is the current "wait for..." rather than any game.

This...there is no title that will make the PS3 double sales for more than a couple weeks at a time (well...perhaps GT5..actually, GT5 should make a impact)

There was no software that caused X360 to stop its slide in 2008, it was a nice sized price cut and BOOM, big sales increase. If it wasn't for that price drop, there is no reason to suspect the trend of the PS3 selling more units per month would have changed.

Its old news, but PS3 needs a price drop.

----Based on the month in general, I don't think PS3 sales were that bad, all things considered.

legend166 said:
How are any of those (except possibly Beatles) system sellers. They're sequels to existing games. Madden has had what, 4 next generation iterations by now? Why would 10 make someone jump in if they hadn't before? Who's buying a console for Assassin's Creed 2 that didn't already have one for Assassin's Creed 1? Same with Modern Warfare.

I don't see how they're system sellers at all. They're pretty much the definition of selling to the existing base.

Sequels are frequently system sellers because their predecessors come out of nowhere and grow through word of mouth. Are you saying that Mario 2/3 weren't systems sellers? Are you saying that GT2 wasn't a system-seller? Are you saying that Halo 2 wasn't a system seller? Are you saying that GTA:VC/SA weren't system sellers?

You need to open your mind and loosen your internal definition of a system seller. There could be countless reasons why people wait until a certain time period to buy a console, and the stalwart big fall releases can often be the last tiny bit of motivation.

For instance, random dude x has been watching his friend play COD4 for the past two years. He loves the game but just hasn't convinced himself that he can afford to jump in. However, that all changes this fall with the massive hoopla around MW2's release and he decides to jump in so he can be there in the party on day one. There's a million other scenarios you could also think of, but I hope you see the point.

plagiarize said:
the difference is that summer movies generally only stay on screens for a couple of weeks, unless they're big hits or you have a large multiplex to go to, and TV shows are only on at a very specific time.

Nintendo could easily convince people to go out there day one. They just choose not to spend that type of marketing dollar. It's a fine strategy for now, but as the Wii's install base grows, they might want to think about making their casual launches more event-like.

a video game is more like a DVD in that the customer knows it's going to be in stores for months if not years. i don't see most people rushing out day 1 to buy a game or a DVD to be honest... but i don't think that's any kind of slam on the people making or advertising them.

DVD releases ARE events. They have massive first week sales. I remember that the first Pirates movie sold something like 10+ million units in it's first week. Disney also does an incredibly good job of making their DVD releases events.

Scrubking

MacBosse said:

From this interview in Swedish magazine Gamereactor the CEO of Grin Bo Andersson said that Bionic Commando cost a little over 150 000 000 Swedish kronor (roughly 19.531.250 dollars) to make ...

I wonder how long Capcom is going to continue ignoring the Wii.

Vinci

Danish
dammitmattt said:
It's a fine strategy for now, but as the Wii's install base grows, they might want to think about making their casual launches more event-like.

If anything should get this treatment, it's WSR, Wii Fit Plus, and NSMB Wii. Seriously, they should scream all three of those to hell and back. I'm expecting good marketing for them actually, but perhaps not on the level of 'event' status.

jmdajr

MacBosse said:

horrible

Kunan

Was just looking back at the May 2008 thread, as it's always neat to look back on how everyone reacted to things one year ago:

jakncoke said:
So yeah Wii Play..just die already...sick of seeing you month after month.
Wii Play continued to tease everyone.

batbeg said:
For some reason I was expecting cataclysmal level Wii Fit numbers, so I'm kind of underwhelmed :( Next month should prove to be interesting either in numbers or meltdowns though.
Wii Fit started off with a questionable start of around 700k units. Some thought it was going to be a moderate success, some thought it would become a gigantic success and some thought it was going to be a drop in the pond.

schuelma said:
No, GTA counts because its fucking hardcore, man.
Who can forget when it was suddenly decided that GTA was now hardcore instead of for everyone.

AlexMogil said:
Man I really expected better numbers for PS3 and 360. And I guess the 2:1 for GTA was mostly true. This whole year is going to be remembered as "Wait until ______."
This one still applies to this day.

That was back when Sony PR was at its comedic best. And of course, the epic Mama Robotnik gif of off topic separating from the gaming discussion, only ever topped by the one about E3 and NPD in the same week :lol :lol

SPECIAL MENTION:

legend166 said:
Boom Blox?
farnham said:
word of mouth is the best commercial actually

BOOM BLOX

ADVERTISE IT :D :D
Indeed that did work in retrospect! Now there's even a sequel.

Barrett2

_dementia said:
After BC, I have to wonder what Capcom's sales predictions are for Dark Void

He doesn't have dreadlocks, so that's a plus. But based on early videos, looks like it suffers the same "pew pew pew" shooting that BC had. Capcom needs to learn that Americans want their characters to have big effin' guns. Devs often seem to overlook how underwhelming an action game can be in which you hurl spitballs for ten hours.

And anyone who thinks Conduit will outsell Punchout.... shamwow....

jmdajr

_dementia said:
After BC, I have to wonder what Capcom's sales predictions are for Dark Void

I guess they had to have a bomb eventually.
Dead Rising and Lost Planet were both risks that paid off.
DMC4 did decent and Re5 and SF4 are very successful.(obviously)

I just never thought the bomb would be that fucking hard for such an expensive game.

I know dead rising 2 is not from a japanese developer but I still believe it will do great numbers. Lost planet 2 isnt going to crash either.

unrelated- any bets on bayonetta sales?
I fear the worst.

Top Bottom