• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2009

Loudninja

BenjaminBirdie said:
In the official thread?

I don't know. TheGreatDave, slasher, a bunch of PC dudes. I haven't been counting but the thread keeps popping up again.

Wouldn't call that a bunch but there are enough impression to get a good idea about the game.

Owzers

drakesfortune said:
Too Human is not a fair comparison. First, the sales of that game were North American centric as it was a game with more north american appeal. Second, Too Human had terrible reviews, so sales were doomed to be front heavy, whereas Infamous had great reviews, great buzz, and almost everyone that plays it loves it. Too Human, not so much.

So to call this a Too Human Bomba is not accurate IMO. Didn't Uncharted sell about 35k its first week in North America? It went on to sell around 1 million in NA alone. So calling anything a bomb because of one week of sales is very short sighted. Good games sell consistently over the long term, and Infamous is a good game.

iirc Uncharted debuted at ~135k not 35k. And i think you're missing the point. Too Human came out with bad reviews, bad word of mouth, and still managed to sell 175k it's first month and THAT was considered a bomb. But on PS3 the standards are set much lower so that anything over 100k it's first month = good sales.

Frillen

DMeisterJ said:
I hope Sony is smarter with Uncharted 2 and launches it not around big releases. I don't think it was smart for inFAMOUS to come out at this time, only 1 -2 weeks before Prototype and Red Faction and UFC. Should have had a quieter launch. I really hope they don't try to push UC2 with CoD MW2 and the like. Be smart, and put it in October so it can have time to flourish.

Hasn't Uncharted 2 been confirmed as a Nov titled? Releasing it close to MW2 would be suicidish.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
UFC!!!!!!

Congrats to THQ and Yukes on an outstanding game.

Best fighting game I've played in years.

itxaka

Defeatist
Nolan. said:
I don't remember about Lbp but I think it charted in the ps3 top ten.

Killzone 2

FEB:

# Wii Fit (Wii) 644,000
# Street Fighter IV* (360) 446,000
# Street Fighter IV* (PS3) 403,000
# Wii Play W/ Remote (Wii) 386,000
# Killzone 2 (PS3) 323,000
# Mario Kart W/ Wheel (Wii) 263,000
# Call of Duty: World At War* (360) 193,000
# Mario Kart DS (NDS) 145,000
# New Super Mario Bros. (NDS) 144,000
# Guitar Hero World Tour* (Wii) 136,000

March:

# Resident Evil 5 (Capcom, Xbox 360) - 938K
# Pokemon Platinum (Nintendo, DS) - 805K
# Halo Wars (Microsoft, Xbox 360) - 639K
# Resident Evil 5 (Capcom, PS3) - 585K
# Wii Fit w/ Balance Board (Nintendo, Wii) - 541K
# MLB '09: The Show (Sony, PS3) - 305K
# Killzone 2 - (Sony, PS3) - 296K
# Wii Play w/ Remote (Nintendo, Wii) - 281K
# Mario Kart w/ Wheel (Nintendo, Wii) - 278K
# MLB 2K9 (Take-Two, Xbox 360) - 205K

And it seems that Resident evil 5 too:

April:

# Wii Fit W/ Balance Board Wii - 471k
# Pokemon Platinum Version NDS - 433k
# Mario Kart W/ Wheel Wii - 210k
# Wii Play W/ Remote Wii - 170k
# The Godfather II X360 - 155k
# Resident Evil 5* X360 - 122k
# New Super Mario Bros NDS - 119k
# Mario Kart DS Nds - 112k
# Guitar Hero Aerosmith* X360 - 110k
# The Godfather II PS3 - 91k

Now, the exact release dates of both, I don't know but I remember the Killzone defense force "only 6 days of sales!" going on.

Great answer :)

knitoe

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Actually something like 95% of users only buy a single system. The PS2 last gen had two other equivalent choices and it only "lost" 30% of the total market to the other guys.

Once a brand is entrenched in the popular imagination (iPod, Wii), it can be very difficult for imitators to break in (Zune, Natal 360). It's called First Mover Advantage. Maybe next gen, when the slate is wiped clean, but not this one.
I would think it's higher this gen. Seen tons of people with 360, PS3, and/or Wii combination. It's because 360 / PS3 represents different type of gaming vs Wii. Previous gen, all consoles were pretty much in same genres.

camineet said:
Wii has fallen off. Time for Wii HD in 2010 ?

:lol

Pachter's beat you to it.

thedarkpachter.gif

FrankT

Psychotext said:
I believe Forza 2 didn't make the top 10 in the second month. I think it was something like 13th? I'd need to check.

GTA IV is one we're all forgetting. :)

No it did. This is its second month;

Mario Party 8 (Wii) - 426,000
Wii Play (Wii) - 291,200
Pokémon Diamond (DS) - 288,400
Pokémon Pearl (DS) - 214,700
Forza Motorsport 2 (360) - 197,400

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_June_2007

I also believe Elder Scrolls Oblivion for 360 did as well IIRC. But you would have to dig up 2006 numbers for that.

EagleEyes

drakesfortune said:
Too Human is not a fair comparison. First, the sales of that game were North American centric as it was a game with more north american appeal. Second, Too Human had terrible reviews, so sales were doomed to be front heavy, whereas Infamous had great reviews, great buzz, and almost everyone that plays it loves it. Too Human, not so much.

So to call this a Too Human Bomba is not accurate IMO. Didn't Uncharted sell about 35k its first week in North America? It went on to sell around 1 million in NA alone. So calling anything a bomb because of one week of sales is very short sighted. Good games sell consistently over the long term, and Infamous is a good game.
What do you mean North American appeal? Infamous was made right here in the US and was most definitely it targeted audience. And I don't think Uncharted has sold a million in NA and was well over 200k in its first month. I hope inFamous does sell well in the long run because it is a great game but please don't start with this NA centric crap.

itxaka

Defeatist
Jtyettis said:
No it did this is its second month;

Mario Party 8 (Wii) - 426,000
Wii Play (Wii) - 291,200
Pokémon Diamond (DS) - 288,400
Pokémon Pearl (DS) - 214,700
Forza Motorsport 2 (360) - 197,400

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_June_2007

I also believe Elder Scrolls Oblivion for 360 did as well IIRC. But you would have to dig up 2006 numbers for that.

You are rigth :)

March 2006
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6147802.html
ALL CONSOLES
Rank Title Platform Publisher
1 Kingdom Hearts II PS2 Square Enix
2 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Xbox 360 Ubisoft
3 Black PS2 Electronic Arts
4 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Xbox 360 2K Games

April 2006
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6151342.html

Other top sellers in April benefited from multiplatform releases. Sliding into second was Take-Two Interactive's MLB 2K6, which was released on the PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, and PlayStation Portable. Lara Croft returned to gaming in the third slot with Tomb Raider: Legend for the PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, and PC. Reinforced by its release on new platforms, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter from Ubisoft held down the fourth slot (though most of the sales were from the Xbox 360 version), and Take-Two's The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion took fifth.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Frillen said:
Hasn't Uncharted 2 been confirmed as a Nov titled? Releasing it close to MW2 would be suicidish.

Dammit.

Not smart at all. Uncharted 2 could be really big given time to release aside from the big boys. Please Oct Sony, plz!

Linkified

knitoe said:
What's so funny about that? Casual users mostly only buy 1 system. Right now, it's the Wii. Put in another choice, Wii will surely loose sales and 360/PS3 gain sales. Only question is how many.

No.

The only way you get 'casual' users of these systems to buy another console is to posistion it as Netflix box (in us) Sky box (in UK) and a general internet hub box, then you make a shit easy way for them to navigate the content instead of using a classic controller.

Personally they should of been doing a console with a universal remote bundle since last xmas - but the reason why they trotted out natal and are proably developing Natal is because they want evergreen software titles.

Wii won't lose sales but 360/ps3 will get sales first on media content - music, on demand films, then games at a later stage.

Vitet

EagleEyes said:
What do you mean North American appeal? Infamous was made right here in the US and was most definitely it targeted audience. And I don't think Uncharted has sold a million in NA and was well over 200k in its first month. I hope inFamous does sell well in the long run because it is a great game but please don't start with this NA centric crap.

So:
X will have legs is the new Wait for X

I amrite?

WarLox

Psychotext said:
Hardware sales comparison

Vs 05/2008
Code:
Wii	-57.12%
PS3	-37.23%
360	 -6.22%
PSP	-44.93%
NDS	+39.97%
PS2	-11.83%

Vs 04/2009
Code:
Wii	-14.85%
PS3	 +3.15%
360	 +0.00%
PSP	-13.45%
NDS	-39.09%
PS2	-31.98%

(Based on per week figures for each period)

Nintendo: 99% of 2008 industry growth is all us

Nintendo has drawn scorn this morning by releasing a press release in which is appears to take credit for the year-on-year growth of the US videogames industry,

I wonder how much of the industry decline Nintendo will claim...

Nolan.

Psychotext said:
GTA IV is one we're all forgetting. :)

[Edit - My forza knowledge was faulty. ]

So far I have:

Halo 3
Guitar hero 3
Gears
Gears 2
L4D
Call of duty waw
Killzone 2
Resident evil 5
Gta4
Tom clancy's Graw
Elder of the scrolls oblivion

+ Bioshock

Actually there's quite a few

knitoe said:
I would think it's higher this gen. Seen tons of people with 360, PS3, and/or Wii combination. It's because 360 / PS3 represents different type of gaming vs Wii. Previous gen, all consoles were pretty much in same genres.
I've got a Gamasutra article from July last year that backs me up. Don't make me bust it out.

Dante

Loudninja said:
Wouldn't call that a bunch but tier are enough impression to get a good idea about the game.

And there's just as many negative impressions in there as there are good.

Came in here to say I'm Happy for Sucker Punch, hope their sales can stay strong next month.

knitoe

Vitet said:
Think about this: The xbox and the Gamecube have the same control but better graphics compared to the PS2. But the PS2 smashed them in sales.

You really think that Natal could really have a huge impact on sales at this time of the generation? All because of the casual mass?
Or you're going to tell me that ALL the PS2 users base is hardcore? XD

Anyway, Nintendo will not magically stop to release games if Natal comes out...
Xbox and GC had better graphics, but not level of difference Wii vs PS3/360. The PS2 graphically were exceptional all way until PS3, ie GoW3.

There's still at least 50-70 million system to be sold. Remember, systems are sold below $199. 360 arcade doesn't really count since many people still see it as tard pack (average sale price for X360 is $290). Think, 360 arcade + Natal could get many of those still unsold systems.

Never said Nintendo will stop selling Wiis, but saying Natal would give 360 monthly sales victories. On another note, that would get Nintendo to release HD Wii.

Salmonax

Vitet said:
I amrite?
Hoping and declaring are two very different things. People seem to have been beaten into a pretty realistic outlook these days, which is a big reason these threads have gotten so slow.

FrankT

Bioshock as well. Pretty sure it released around the last week in August that month.

August 2007 NPD;

Madden NFL 08 (Xbox 360) - Electronic Arts - 896,600
Madden NFL 08 (PlayStation 2) - Electronic Arts - 643,600
BioShock (Xbox 360) - Take-Two - 490,900

Sep 2007 NPD

Halo 3 - Xbox 360 (Microsoft) - 3.3 million
Wii Play - Wii (Nintendo) - 282,000
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - DS (Nintendo) - 224,000
Madden NFL 08 - PS2 (EA) - 205,000
Skate - Xbox 360 (EA) - 175,000
Madden NFL 08 - Xbox 360 (EA) - 173,000
Metroid Prime 3 - Wii (Nintendo) - 167,000
BioShock - Xbox 360 (Take 2) - 150,000

Barrett2

totally forgot it was NPDS.

Wow at UFC. Great game, well deserved. inFamous seems pretty solid for only four days of sales.

EA Active had great commercials; not surprised there.

knitoe said:
Xbox and GC had better graphics, but not level of difference Wii vs PS3/360. The PS2 graphically were exceptional all way until PS3, ie GoW3.

There's still at least 50-70 million system to be sold. Remember, systems are sold below $199. 360 arcade doesn't really count since many people still see it as tard pack (average sale price for X360 is $290). Think, 360 arcade + Natal could get many of those still unsold systems.

Never said Nintendo will stop selling Wiis, but saying Natal would give 360 monthly sales victories. On another note, that would get Nintendo to release HD Wii.
Methinks the effect of Natal on the 360 will be the same as Wind Waker, SSBM, MKDD and SMS had on the Gamecube - a bump and nothing more.

I really think you're choosing not to see the underlying market forces here.

womfalcs3 said:
I expected MLB 09 numbers for Infamous (About double what it sold.). That's not good, to be honest. Then again, there was no TV marketing campaign. At least I didn't see one.

I only watch TV for like 5 hours a week and saw the commercial well over 20 times.

EXGN

InFamous sales aren't too bad... That's the best selling week 1 debut for a new PS3 exclusive IP, I do believe. LittleBigPlanet was close, but IIRC, it got screwed because GameStop started selling it on a Saturday to those that pre-ordered it. I mean, it even aped Uncharted, which sold like 117K across 10 days. All this during a month that, isn't really a big month traditionally.

Can't wait to see the massive PS3 drop off next month :lol

knitoe

Linkified said:
No.

The only way you get 'casual' users of these systems to buy another console is to posistion it as Netflix box (in us) Sky box (in UK) and a general internet hub box, then you make a shit easy way for them to navigate the content instead of using a classic controller.

Personally they should of been doing a console with a universal remote bundle since last xmas - but the reason why they trotted out natal and are proably developing Natal is because they want evergreen software titles.

Wii won't lose sales but 360/ps3 will get sales first on media content - music, on demand films, then games at a later stage.
Adding more content (value) won't get more casual users interested. Why. It just makes console more complicated. Sure, some will be attracted, but majority won't give a shit. They are happy with cable / satellite box for watching movies/TVs, console for games and so on.

You think casual users will know how to program a universal remote?

Johann

Excellent sales for UFC. InFamous and Punch-Out are what I expected they would be.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I'm surprised at EA Sport Active doing worse than Wii Fit. Can anyone think of a reason for this? Does EA Sport Active require the balance board or something? Are people just getting confused when they go into the store and ask for it, getting Wii Fit instead?

Wii Fit is essentially selling itself at this point through strong word of mouth. EA Sports Active has to build awareness among an audience that relies heavily on word of mouth and first-hand experience. Nevertheless, EASA performed very well given the circumstances. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a tag-team relationship between that game and Wii Fit since it complements Wii Fit's more Japanese approach to exercise.

donny2112

ICallItFutile said:
I don't know if anyone mentioned this but this is the LOWEST sales number the NPD has ever listed for PSP.

I pointed out that it was the lowest weekly average ever for the PSP last month, and it's lower this month. Probably will continue being sluggish until PSP Go! unless there's a price drop.

Vitet

knitoe said:

I hope you mean GoW2

There's still at least 50-70 million system to be sold. Remember, systems are sold below $199.

Gamecube launched at $199 :D

Nolan. said:
So far I have:

Halo 3
Guitar hero 3
Gears
Gears 2
L4D
Call of duty waw
Killzone 2
Resident evil 5
Gta4
Tom clancy's Graw
Elder of the scrolls oblivion

+ Bioshock
I can add MLB2K7 (360), Guitar Hero 2 (360) and Spider Man 3 (360) to that.

Also, Forza 2 was mentioned previously.

Punchout!! discussion is meh. It did alright and will keep selling little by little.

The Conduit will be more fun and Tiger with that good commercial has big potential.

knitoe said:

Uh, I'm gonna have to ask for some evidence about your claim for 'tons of people with 360, PS3 and/or Wii combination'. Otherwise it's anecdotal at best and sheer conjecture at worst.

Top Bottom